Heartland Automotive

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brett Ponton

No Communication

ProsAdvancement opportunities and good partnership with key players.

ConsNo work/life balance, the pay is horrible not alot of reason to keep people wanting to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk the employees what we want to make it a better place to work.

Different

District Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGet to work with teams and build teams

Consmicro management at upper level severely restricts openness and self manage.

Urgency everyday.....causes panic in the field

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHeartland has come a long way from the beginning, but too much growth too fast can be painful.

Constoo much turnover in the corporate and field level causing inconsistency and below average performance, Driven by top leadership expectations not aligned with everyday business challenges.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to listen and recognize the doers not the talkers!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RUN!! The further, the better... unless you like being USED & ABUSED!!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

Pros-Learn how to perform basic maintenance on a car
    -3 or 4 free oil changes per year

Cons-Absolutely NO job security!! They have one of the HIGHEST employee turn-over rates in the country! They are very "fire happy" and will find ANY reason they can to fire you! They literally keep a "pool" of employees that they can plop into a management roll... it's not unusual for a store to have 5 or 6 Store Managers per YEAR! They use tactics such as surveilling your store from a distance, making unfound allegations of stealing, or making an "executive" decision to make a customer happy. ***COVER YOUR REAR!!*** Make copies of documents, write down situations where a customer is unhappy and what went on, and be prepared to answer to every single thing you do (including breathing and letting your heart beat).

-Kiss your personal life GOODBYE! The second you are a salaried employee, you might as well put a mattress in a corner in the lower bay because they will work you like a SLAVE! It wasn't unusual for me to work 6am-9pm for 6 days in a week... and on your day off, if an employee doesn't show up and you only have 2 people working, guess who has to cover the shift! YOU! Don't expect to get time off that you need or want... when you do your new hire paperwork, you're signing a contract with the devil!!

-They want you to go right in order to go left, then you get disciplined because you went right!! Yea... confusing, isn't it? They use what's called "double-speak" in order to seem like they have "morals" and that they don't want to rip-off the customer. The DM's and RM's will literally ride you HARD because you aren't suppose to pressure customers to "buy additional services"only "recommend" additional services if the manufacturer recommends it... yet they expect you to get every customer to spend "X amount" of dollars, which is usually around $60-$70 PER CUSTOMER and your motivation to do this is "If you can't sell... we'll fire you"! So you aren't suppose to pressure the customer who only wants the $24.99 oil change... you aren't suppose to sell "visually", only "descriptively" (say a customer has a horribly dirty air filter that truly needs to be replaced, they do NOT want you to show it to the customer in order to get them to purchase it- you're only suppose to "describe it's condition" and recommend that they do it), and if you aren't selling enough per transaction to hit the "ticket goal", then they throw you out like a used condom!! Good luck hitting your numbers!!

-Get use to the elements! Company policy is that the bay doors stay open, no matter WHAT the weather is- blizzard, monsoon, heat wave, tornado! On top of that, you are expected to have an employee standing on the street doing a "2 by 2" (their term, not mine) holding a sign in order to drive traffic in... so unless you're lucky enough to have a location where they have trees close to the street, then during the summer you are out there in 95 or 100 degree heat just PRAYING for a car to come in so that you can get back inside! And if you're the lucky person that gets tossed down into the lower bay on an excessively hot day, then take the temperature outside and add another 20 degrees to it, because that's how hot it is in the "pit" since there's no air conditioning down there!

-Prepare to get injured! Somehow, someway, every employee with Heartland Automotive/Jiffy Lube get hurt, but doesn't report it in fear of being fired! I personally was strict on wearing PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), yet I still got burned COUNTLESS times, including a nasty 3rd degree burn on my arm, had vision issues due to oil getting into my eyes, slipped on the upper bay floor after it was mopped (remember, oil and water don't mix), and suffered heat-stroke on several occasions!

-Be ready to work your rear off!! When the store opens at 7am and there are only two of you working, it's guaranteed that there will be 3 cars waiting outside for the doors to open, and they all have to be at work at 7:30am! The labor budget is a joke and the company doesn't let you schedule enough people for the traffic-load, so those that are working have to step it up even further to make up for the lack of help... and if you run into a "problem car" then expect to fall behind, have your average service time go up, and have the customers get ticked off (you know... because you couldn't change the oil, do a tire rotation, replace the engine & cabin filter, do a transmission fluid exchange and change the tag light & brake light bulbs in less than 15 minutes)!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop digging for reasons to fire your managers- there are employees that are dedicated, will work hard and will bring in revenue!! Someday, someone from your upper management will tick off the wrong employee when you try to concoct a reason to let them go... and then Karma will end up cashing in on your immoral practices when they respond by going for the company's jugular!

Get you by

General Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSteady revenue cow. Billion-dollar franchise.

Consit is a Jiffy Lube

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified individuals

Most people are great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people who work there are easy to work with.

ConsProduction is in charge of quality.

Disappointed by where the value is placed.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) East Renton Highlands, WA

Prosone free basic oil change every 3 months

Consemployee training, wages, benefits, bonus program, tool and shop upkeep, available over time, raise schedule,

Advice to Senior ManagementI read in a company email how guests trust us with their second most expensive investment. I feel being trusted to care for and upkeep an investment of that magnitude should require personnel with the experience and knowledge to properly diagnose needed repair issues, communicate findings, and repair serviceable issues. The same personnel would need the proper tools and knowledge to accomplish these services and repairs. What I have seen is the personnel hired to take care of this investment don't have the tools or knowledge to competently handle the services.

What we see at the service center are employees hired at the lowest wage possible, as long as they have a drivers license, can pass a background check & drug test. The knowledge of how to operate a vehicle with a manual transmission is not even a requirement. The employee is then trained through online programs that most of the time are completed with the help or completed by someone more knowledgeable. When it comes to the hands on training by another employee or assistant manager, they are shown the way someone else showed them with equipment that is abused to the point its faulty or broken. That leads to services being performed incorrectly. The people hired to up sell to the guests so that we may hit the daily sales goals & control labor costs, rarely have any knowledge of what they are selling beyond what the computer screen tells them. This is also where our bonus weighs in. Bonus is based off percentages for car count, net sales, labor and more. The push on employees to reach these goals by pushing guest through without being pushy. It causes us to squeeze the most money out of our guests in the shortest amount of time possible... to make room for the next guest to squeeze! I personally have been over on net sales, labor under control with one car short on guest count and been told to stay open until we get that last car. This was 10 min before closing & after an hour and a half holding the sign waving to try and get guests in. What is our time really worth to corporate with that kind of expectation.

There is a ban on overtime so full time employees are scheduled for 36-38 hrs a week if labor allows. They are Scheduled for 12 hour shifts at times and most days there are no other breaks besides a mandatory 30 min lunch, due to the amount of services and top offs we see in a single day. There are no set schedules and rarely are schedules finalized days before a new work week. If employees were compensated fairly with a wage and good benefits that show appreciation and value for their time and dedication these things wouldn't be an issue for most of the employees. Most of the employees cant even provide for a family without a second source of income whether it be from state programs for low income families or second jobs worked around an ever changing schedule. Right now as a company we herd guests through to get the biggest, quickest dollar to put into a corporate pocket, by trying to create the illusion these naive guests are being cared for by professionals. They instead are being hustled by young part time high school and college kids with little supervision or proper training.

The things here can be fixed by hiring people that can pass a test of experience, knowledge and problem solving abilities. Train them by qualified experts and then compensate these people accordingly without the bonus program, but with wages and benefits geared for taking care of a family. Put the importance on structured raise increases as employee knowledge and company worth increases. Charge a fair price for professional work done. Then guests will feel confident and comfortable bringing their second most expensive investment to a place known for professionalism, competence, and true value!

Lost

District Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood chance for advancement if you do the right things and have a can do attitude. Must be prepared to work long hours and everyday if you really want to successful.

ConsPoor hours and salaries of hourly employees are horrible. A lot of turnover and little help from corporate. Decisions made by the ivory tower without any input from middle management.

Heartless Automotive

District Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company has some positive outlook due to Jiffy Lube Brakes and Tires,

ConsThe management style is one comparative to Hitler.

If you can find better pay and benefits

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood support for the Customers

ConsNot good enough hands on training at the store level, Cheap

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training support and assistance

Worked for Heartland Automotive? Contribute to the Community!