Heartland Dental Reviews

92 reviews filtered by
2.8
Heartland Dental Founder & Chief Executive Officer Rick Workman, DDS
Rick Workman, DDS

Pros
  • There are multiple continuing education opportunities available to help you advance personally and professionally (in 5 reviews)

• Some would consider their CE courses a pro (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management climb the corporate ladder by backstabbing and being two-faced liars (in 8 reviews)

• Their PA's typically have no clinical experience whatsoever, yet they are in charge of clinical team members (in 6 reviews)

1. Lives by their mission!

I have been working at Heartland Dental

Pros

I love working for Heartland Dental. They provide me the work-life balance that I need. Upper management is wonderful to work with. They always do the right thing for the right reason.

Cons

Sometimes you run into growing pains because of Heartland Dental's annual growth rate.

Keep up the great work! This company is doing amazing things and I am so glad I get to be along for the ride.

2. I like the company a lot. They have great benefits and they take their time to train in the position you are in.

Current Employee - Business Assistant
    Current Employee - Business Assistant

I have been working at Heartland Dental full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well the office flows really well

Cons

We get really busy

3. I Heart Heartland!

I have been working at Heartland Dental

Pros

Great people to work with and commitment to personal and professional growth

Cons

Pro and a con, as a growing company many processes are working on being determined

keep it up!

Hope to retire here!

Current Employee - Practice Administrator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Practice Administrator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Heartland Dental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing training and growth potential. I love looking at the people around me and finding out where they want to go and seeing if together we can make that happen. Everyone genuinely cares for their patients and wants the best for them. Someone is always trialing brand new products so they get the best care. Everyone is taught how to help the office on the business side too. Open book.

Cons

Being open book and having everyone involved with running the office is a lot of responsibility for some. You have to have the right team and a sense of ownership. This isn't a place for someone who wants a job. You have to want a career to be successful.

Keep listening to all of us! Love the surveys done last year. You really do care and it shows.

6. It's all about the money and NOT about patient care.

I have been working at Heartland Dental full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Home office support is awesome.

Cons

Constant drama between the staff. Dental care... It's all about the money and NOT about patient care. A patient walks in with a toothache and leaves overwhelmed with a $30,000 treatment plan and we did NOTHING to get them comfortable or perform treatment. By the time xrays and exam are performed we are out of time.

Make patient care top priority, not money. There must be a balance. Patients need to feel like you care about them not just their bank account.

In theory this company would be good but local upper mgmt not very professional, uneducated, and reactive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Heartland Dental full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Heartland offers a lot of CE classes which are paid for including travel but the expense is added to the local offices expenses.

Cons

Heartland says they are patient focused but want to decrease amount of time spent with the patient and do prophys on top of periodontal disease.

Upper mgmt @ Heartland Home Office is great but please open your eyes to the local management because they are very unprofessional and clickish. Brainwashed!!!

Great company with plenty of growth potential

Current Employee - Practice Administrator
    Current Employee - Practice Administrator

I have been working at Heartland Dental

Pros

Continuing education, home office support, growth potential, plenty of offices

Cons

Travel, work/home balance, timely responses

Professionally run dental practices.

Former Employee - General Dentist
    Former Employee - General Dentist

I worked at Heartland Dental full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Continuing Education that is above and beyond what the industry offers
    Compensation
    Office Support
    Transparency - From the time of your interview you will see the P&L of the office. They are open with their numbers across the entire team and invest in making you a better practice operator.
    Size and Scale

This is a great company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like there are too many layers of management and some decisions take longer to implement.

Reduce bureaucracy. Bring back some of the nimbleness from the early days.

Bad administrative structure

Current Employee - Dentist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Dentist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Heartland Dental

Pros

As a dentist, you have a certain level of autonomy. Makes you feel you have a say in the office as the supposedly leader of the practice. The hdc systems work in a stress - free environment when allowed to do your job.

Cons

The many layers of management is a big headache. The dentist is actually a "figure head", not an actual leader of the practice as advertised. The administrative arm which is supposed to be a source of great support to the dentists, in most cases work against a strong leader. They usually dictate and boss dentists around. Most have no management skills or education to make them administrators, but they are placed there anyway. They mess up things a lot and the company has lost many gifted hands because of poor management.

Also, the financial model is scamming in nature. The founder does not contribute nothing to the growth of the office, but gets a major percentage of the profit leaving most doctors with nothing. Such a tricky way of using people. Every expense comes off of the offices revenues, no contribution from the CEO, yet he's quick to zap off everything remaining as his profit.

Please restructure the administrative arm of the company and make it plain that they support the doctors, not control them.

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Heartland Dental

Pros

People are super friendly! Lots of benefits

Cons

A lot of people stuck in their ways.... Scared of new young people.