Heartland Express Reviews

43 reviews filtered by
2.7
Heartland Express Chairman & CEO Michael Gerdin
Michael Gerdin

Company with Heart...not miles.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Heartland Express full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Personal contact with dispatcher. Newer equipment. Excellent maintenence program. Local region. No cross country.

Cons

Lots of waiting around. Tons of night driving. Flip flopping from days to nights to days. People net system NOT user friendly. Takes an act of Congress to get a log edit. After hours will not dispatch you. Have to wait until your dispatcher comes in. No consistent home time. Promises weekends off but to make the big runs you have to work weekends.

Get the planners to plan loads more than 1 day at a time. Open up dedicated routes instead of rotating drivers. Stop promising weekends off.

2. Extremely disappointed in Company

Current Employee - Regional Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Regional Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Heartland Express

Pros

They will get you home every weekend and pretty much on time. Fleet manager is pretty good. Miles, and plenty of them if that's what you want.
    Regional runs, CPM average.

Cons

The pay for local is a joke, literally. Spend 6 hours of your time for 15 or 20 dollar's depending if 51 miles or less is 20, and 51 or more is 15.
    Less than minimum wage.
    Try getting layover or detention takes nothing less than an act of congress. They in Phoenix make every excuse not to pay you.
    Try getting rembursed for road expense, it took me 4 weeks with receipts and management approval. They expect a lot of work out of you for free. Example take a trailer to shop, and sit for 4 to 5 hour's for repair no pay. Work again for free.
    Very disappointed in this company. I've had 2 jobs in 15 year's of trucking and this is worst company I've worked for as far as accessory and local pay. Very dishonest about it, constant fight.

Be ethical, and so morality with some character. You Phoenix terminal and there actions speaks volumes of what you think of your employees.

3. Something to Know.

I have been working at Heartland Express

Pros

Decent equipment. Many choices of running areas.

Cons

No EZ pass in most areas. No Prepass at all, must stop at all scales. No GPS. On PeopleNet. Speed reduced for idling truck.
    Because of the afore mentioned things, I decided not to complete orientation with this company. I assumed because the equipment was in such good condition that they would be modernized. My mistake for not asking ahead of time. If you attend orientation and decide not to hire on with company you will have to pay your own way back home.

Advise potential drivers of what you do not offer before you have them come to orientation. Do more to make things more advantageous for drivers.

5. Awesome

I have been working at Heartland Express

Pros

Great pay tons of miles best driver mgr ever.

Cons

Awesome pay, I started at .39 and just got the automatic pay raise of .05 per mile, now making .44 per mile. I am a heartland driver dispatched out of Phoenix az and gti terminal rancho cucomunga ca. I was transferred to ca when my dm in az quit. Heartland has so much new equipment, almost never a problem with trailers, even gti trailers are in great shape. They have tons and tons of pre-loaded trailers, hardly ever live load. A couple live unloads per week. Tons of drop-n-hook loads. Ever since I started with this company I have been getting almost 3000 miles per week, if I have the hours. They pound me with hot freight and good miles. Trust me, they can easily run you out of hours every week. I do 2500 or more miles based on available hours, usually I get more. The people that complain here about miles want to be home every weekend. They want to be home Friday afternoon and leave out on Monday at noon. What do you think this does to their miles and paycheck. Yep there you have it 1800 to 2000 miles a week. If you work weekends here you will get one two or three pre-plans to get an additional 700 to a 1000 more miles like I consistently get every weekend I work. You will be rewarded heavily for working weekends when so many others want them off, there simply is more freight for you to haul. Bar none this is the best job I have ever had, I make tons of money and I love my job. They gave me a new truck and already paid out 1500 sign on bonus to me. Anyway they have changed the idling policy that so many complain about. In summer I idle my truck like crazy, and it still goes 64. Yes it is true you will get turned down if you have a
    Ridiculous idling percentage of 45 to 50 percent etc. mine is 20 and I idle when hot and cold and use my fan and or bunk heater or inverter, built into new trucks when needed. Lots and lots of night driving, as required here. Five to six days sometimes all week. But it can vary, sometimes you get several daytime runs etc. lots of hot freight- fed-ex, home depot, limited time on most loads. Hard work but good pay. At least you will be able to pay your bills and have money for yourself while working here.

None, these people know what they are doing.

6. Driver manager

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for managment experience. Great health insurance benefits, numerous employee discount. Annual raises based off performance.

Cons

Long hours, dated fleet management/load planning software.

Invest in software that shows hours of service in real time in order to plan trucks successfully.

7. Alright once you've been there long enough

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The trucks are decent and the cpm is decent. Living in Florida its one of the better companies offering hometime.

Cons

Unroll you've been here for 6 months or more your a nobody. Trucks breakdown no one cares goodluck getting breakdown pay. 8 hrs before you get detention pay. Their idle policy is ridiculous and impossible to not get slowed down. You'll lose a lot of loads to the older drivers when it comes to home time. Constant 14hr days

Treat drivers better we're not robots we need to stop and use the restroom we're human like you we also need to eat. Fix detention pay. Get on your shippers about loads not being ready on time....ever

8. It has been wonderful

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Employer to work for.

Cons

needs to have a terminal in Fontana, Ca

Keep doing what you are doing

9. A stepping stone into the professional world

Former Employee - Load Planner
    Former Employee - Load Planner

I worked at Heartland Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at this company is a good stepping stone into the professional world if your sights are set high and you have a college degree.

Cons

Very low pay for an abnormally high amount of stress and responsibility.

Lyers

Current Employee - Regional Driver in Seagoville, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Driver in Seagoville, TX

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. Trucks are decent. My driver manager is decent compared to a lot I have had in the past.

Cons

Treat you like a number, that's just day one of orientation. Day 2 when they say you are getting paid 4cpm less than promised and you don't like it, oh well to bad we will take you to bus station and you can buy yourself a ticket home. Regional is not regional. It's where ever they want to send you. No it dose not pay more to go out of region, unless you want to run OTR. They add more states to regional but you don't get paid anymore. They say they get you home BS. Don't believe the propaganda on back of trailer. Better pay. More home time. It's just what I said propaganda. All their facilities are nasty, because drivers won't clean up after themselves and Heartland could care less about their drivers showering in filth.

Treat your drivers like humans and not like crap. Maybe your company could keep drivers instead of watching them leave. Tell your hiring staff to stop lying just to get drivers. That's a headhunter trick. We don't need the company people lying to us as well.

11. Pays the bills for now

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pays the bills for now

Cons

Poor marks for driver needs health and welfare.Most everyone has talked about the down side to company already so I'll keep it short.Terminal manager needs to be treated for his addition to work,he thinks every one who works here should be a workaholic and if you aren't he thinks u are a bad employee and stand in his way to be number one. The company policy is leagle and safe but when I try to do something safe like not falling asleep behind the wheel I get condemned then given crap loads.I was sitting in orientation 3mo ago listening to terminal manager talk I felt like getting up and leaving I am still here because no place to go till I find better place to go I feel like I sold my soul to the devil need to pay for kids collage so they don't have to put up with this b s type of job 2 more years.

Learn about human rites and employee rites then put them into your company polices