Heartland Express

Heartland Express Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Heartland Express Chairman & CEO Michael Gerdin

Michael Gerdin

Excellent place to work, just not enough miles for me.

Class A Driver (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat pay and benefits package. Newer and well maintained equipment

ConsNot enough miles for me 1800-2200 average miles per week

A stepping stone into the professional world

Load Planner (Former Employee)

ProsWorking at this company is a good stepping stone into the professional world if your sights are set high and you have a college degree.

ConsVery low pay for an abnormally high amount of stress and responsibility.

Pays the bills for now

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsPays the bills for now

ConsPoor marks for driver needs health and welfare.Most everyone has talked about the down side to company already so I'll keep it short.Terminal manager needs to be treated for his addition to work,he thinks every one who works here should be a workaholic and if you aren't he thinks u are a bad employee and stand in his way to be number one. The company policy is leagle and safe but when I try to do something safe like not falling asleep behind the wheel I get condemned then given crap loads.I was sitting in orientation 3mo ago listening to terminal manager talk I felt like getting up and leaving I am still here because no place to go till I find better place to go I feel like I sold my soul to the devil need to pay for kids collage so they don't have to put up with this b s type of job 2 more years.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn about human rites and employee rites then put them into your company polices

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Steadily going down hill.

Systems Driver (Current Employee)

ProsPay sometimes. There are few good people in the IA.

ConsNo home time and miles are dropping way off. There is no good reason to have system drivers running less than 2500 miles a week. Lately lucky to get 1800 miles.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your drivers

Shop Manager and current employee

Shop Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat job! Great people! Great job stability! The equipment is in tip top shape, not to mention the newest in the industry! The best dot ratings in the country, the best safety record in the country and the very best maintenance department in the world!

ConsNothing bad about this job in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job! Keep up the good work! What a great place to work! No other trucking company out there can touch this company. More awards than any other and the best ontime delivery in the country!!!

Most Unethical

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Coralville, IA

Prosnice balance sheet. They will pay for you child's college if you put in 20 years.

ConsGood luck wanting to stay there longer than one year. Most unethical place I've ever worked. They file work comp claims in one state knowing that if the injured employee misses work they will later contest jurisdiction in that state. They do this simply to reduce employee rights and gain advantages against injured workers. A director tampered with evidence in one case they later settled out of court and the director was never disciplined. They mistreat employees. Self-righteous CFO screams at 19 year old employees in billing department and yells their manager that he needs to put "pressure on them" in order to make them better. Terrible at managing people.

Advice to Senior Managementretire

Learned a lot. Hours are unrealistic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany seems to be financially sound.

ConsYou're talked to and treated poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into the 21st century.

NOTdriver friendly. Can't take time off. Lacking in dignity & respect, as if they are devoid of any worthiness.

Truck-driver (Former Employee) Eastern View, VA

ProsThey exist. Cons: They exist. Lasted that long, as I needed at least 3 years to move to a better company. Was fired for no good reason, before the 3 year period. Had to work like a dog to get the salary I did-----Under very bad, horrendous circumstances.

ConsManagement thinks they are so much better than their drivers. Management would never dream of personally meeting any drivers---It is beneath them to do so. Eastern Terminals absolutely filthy. Any appliances they provide seem to be decades old or not working and in general, one feels as if the entire place needs to be disinfected. Management hires and fire drivers like there's no tomorrow. Think of them as if you are looking at a revolving door. They do that to avoid paying benefits, or just because they feel like it. Should they invite you to drive for them, don't walk!!! Run in the opposite direction, as fast as you can. They will promise you the moon but instead will give you pure hell. They will make your life impossible and deplorable. If you have to turn down any of their loads, they will punish the driver by not giving him any miles for days at a time. On the other hand, if you try to be a good employee by delivering their loads on time, they will find a way to "terminate" you by using the logbook as an excuse. Either way, the driver is totally and continually screwed out of miles, and not being paid for hundreds of miles each week----because they make drivers drive through back roads--even in the middle of the night; so as NOT to pay for tolls. As for their driver manual, they don't follow at least 50% of what is described there. Remember that in Iowa, where this co. is headquarted, any employer can terminate anyone for any reason, or for no reason at all. And Heartland Express allocates time exclusively once per week, for the unique purpose of firing drivers. As a driver, you will be with them only for as long as you serve their purpose. There are no incentives for drivers to stay and in fact, they create problems as excuses, to get rid of drivers. Should you be one of their unfortunate drivers, I'd be extremely careful.....you'll never know that you have stepped into a den of snakes until it is too late. Once that happens, your good work history, your good reputation both as a driver and as a person, your integrity, etc., will be all out the door in less than a day. These people are worst than the mafia. They don't play games, and they can----and they will ruin your life for years to come. In fact, you will not be able to find other work in the same industry, because Heartless Express will make sure you won't be hired anywhere else.
    And.....If you, as a driver happen to have a life, forget about coming home, even once per month. They will do whatever is possible, even before you are due to come home, in order to prevent you from taking your time off. The fact that they have already approved well in advanced your time off----means a rat's behind to these people. They are as honorable in their word as any criminal is, behind bars.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy provide a driver's manual if you don't intend on following its rules? Why do you mention rules put out by the DOT if don't classify them as such? The purpose of your Operations Dept. and your Safety Dept. work in conflict one with the other, putting the drivers in the middle. The only ones benefiting from this arrangement, is the company itself. All on the backs of its drivers. Management should use the showers at least once per week, and lounge provided for drivers, once per day. That will be the only way that your facilities and terminals for drivers will improve. Every time I go into one of those terminals I go through the gagging motions. The terminals provided for drivers is evidence that drivers to management, are a dime a dozen. Not only that, this is also evidence that drivers to them, are at the bottom of the barrel. A homeless person, I am sure, will be treated better than one of their drivers. This is a dead end job where you feel as if any and each day that you work for them, will be your last one. Which would be perfectly O.K., provided you could find work in the same industry. This company, however, will make it impossible for you to do so. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. Personally, I'd like to start a class action law-suit against them.

Stable company with little to no chance for advancement.

Operations Manager (Former Employee) North Liberty, IA

ProsGreat personnel to work with, many people still care about performing their best. Michael Gerdin, the Chairman and CEO, is a very kind and considerate person. He will take the time to stop by your desk and make small talk. I believe he is genuinely interested in his employes.

ConsRaises are almost laughable, last year was less than 3 percent. This does not even cover the cost of living increase for the area. Nepotism runs ramped in the operations dept. One director went from fleet manger to Regional Director in three years.

Advice to Senior ManagementCFO needs to tone down the Fire Brand speeches, at times it feels like you are at a Nuremberg Rally. There needs to be a better connection between Sales, Ops, and maintenance. There are too many Department heads who can not work together.

A lot of downtime.

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsDecent pay. Average benefits. A lot of deliveries that are drop and hook or lumper paid.

ConsA lot of time is wasted waiting in line for the inspection bays at terminals. Depending on the terminal and the length of the line, you could spend 2+ hours waiting on line. Then when you get your turn you're told that you need a B service... another line and say goodbye to your load (it's repowered) and the rest of your day is spent babysitting your truck (for free). This happens often due to the company's seemingly shorter maintenance intervals as compared to other companies.

Worked for Heartland Express? Contribute to the Community!