Heartland Express

Heartland Express Chairman & CEO Michael Gerdin
Michael Gerdin

Driver manager

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for managment experience. Great health insurance benefits, numerous employee discount. Annual raises based off performance.

Cons

Long hours, dated fleet management/load planning software.

Invest in software that shows hours of service in real time in order to plan trucks successfully.

Alright once you've been there long enough

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

The trucks are decent and the cpm is decent. Living in Florida its one of the better companies offering hometime.

Cons

Unroll you've been here for 6 months or more your a nobody. Trucks breakdown no one cares goodluck getting breakdown pay. 8 hrs before you get detention pay. Their idle policy is ridiculous and impossible to not get slowed down. You'll lose a lot of loads to the older drivers when it comes to home time. Constant 14hr days

Treat drivers better we're not robots we need to stop and use the restroom we're human like you we also need to eat. Fix detention pay. Get on your shippers about loads not being ready on time....ever

It has been wonderful

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Employer to work for.

Cons

needs to have a terminal in Fontana, Ca

Keep doing what you are doing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A stepping stone into the professional world

Former Employee - Load Planner
    Former Employee - Load Planner

I worked at Heartland Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at this company is a good stepping stone into the professional world if your sights are set high and you have a college degree.

Cons

Very low pay for an abnormally high amount of stress and responsibility.

Lyers

Current Employee - Regional Driver  in  Seagoville, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Driver in Seagoville, TX

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a job. Trucks are decent. My driver manager is decent compared to a lot I have had in the past.

Cons

Treat you like a number, that's just day one of orientation. Day 2 when they say you are getting paid 4cpm less than promised and you don't like it, oh well to bad we will take you to bus station and you can buy yourself a ticket home. Regional is not regional. It's where ever they want to send you. No it dose not pay more to go out of region, unless you want to run OTR. They add more states to regional but you don't get paid anymore. They say they get you home BS. Don't believe the propaganda on back of trailer. Better pay. More home time. It's just what I said propaganda. All their facilities are nasty, because drivers won't clean up after themselves and Heartland could care less about their drivers showering in filth.

Treat your drivers like humans and not like crap. Maybe your company could keep drivers instead of watching them leave. Tell your hiring staff to stop lying just to get drivers. That's a headhunter trick. We don't need the company people lying to us as well.

Pays the bills for now

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pays the bills for now

Cons

Poor marks for driver needs health and welfare.Most everyone has talked about the down side to company already so I'll keep it short.Terminal manager needs to be treated for his addition to work,he thinks every one who works here should be a workaholic and if you aren't he thinks u are a bad employee and stand in his way to be number one. The company policy is leagle and safe but when I try to do something safe like not falling asleep behind the wheel I get condemned then given crap loads.I was sitting in orientation 3mo ago listening to terminal manager talk I felt like getting up and leaving I am still here because no place to go till I find better place to go I feel like I sold my soul to the devil need to pay for kids collage so they don't have to put up with this b s type of job 2 more years.

Learn about human rites and employee rites then put them into your company polices

Very Disappointed

I worked at Heartland Express

Pros

It was in my home town

Cons

while I worked there....they kept reducing the speed on the truck...based upon if you idled your truck or not...max speed 64mph... if you were in Florida in the summer....don't try and sleep...if you were in Iowa(where the company is based) in winter.....you are required to idle the truck to protect the engine...and fuel...no concern for the driver......good luck with that company......max miles????? about 2150 a week....the signs on the back of their trucks say .......drivers paid up to 52 cents per mile.....I will kiss your hiney till it barks if you can show me a Heartland driver making 52 cents per mile day in and day out.....not just for special short runs to Maine.........sorry.....don't bite on this one guys!!!!!

drivers get paid by the mile......they make less miles when the truck goes slower....penalizing a driver for using the air conditioner in Florida in Summer or the heater in Iowa in Winter means he/she doesn't get the sleep they need to drive hard and make money........let the decision makers.......load planners....and fleet managers come sleep in a truck with a driver for a week in the conditions you ask your drivers to and then slow down the trucks because they use heat or air conditioning.........

Steadily going down hill.

Current Employee - Systems Driver
    Current Employee - Systems Driver

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time

Pros

Pay sometimes. There are few good people in the IA.

Cons

No home time and miles are dropping way off. There is no good reason to have system drivers running less than 2500 miles a week. Lately lucky to get 1800 miles.

Take better care of your drivers

Excellent place to work, just not enough miles for me.

Current Employee - Class A Driver  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Class A Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay and benefits package. Newer and well maintained equipment

Cons

Not enough miles for me 1800-2200 average miles per week

Shop Manager and current employee

Current Employee - Shop Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Heartland Express full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great job! Great people! Great job stability! The equipment is in tip top shape, not to mention the newest in the industry! The best dot ratings in the country, the best safety record in the country and the very best maintenance department in the world!

Cons

Nothing bad about this job in my opinion.

Great job! Keep up the good work! What a great place to work! No other trucking company out there can touch this company. More awards than any other and the best ontime delivery in the country!!!

Worked for Heartland Express? Contribute to the Community!