Heartland Health

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Staff Nurse  in  Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Heartland Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good team work, understanding team leader, excellent place for career development, lot of opportunities to excel in your career, very good benefits, motivational to do your best.

Cons

Too much focus on competition. You are either in or out. No place for complainers. You are always on your toes to do your best. At times it is stressful as you have to hold on to your job unless you are ready to drive or relocate to somewhere else out of Saint Joseph.

CEO is off the rocker

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at Heartland Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free holiday dinners, nice gift shop run by volunteers. Decorations are nice throughout the hospital. Massage chairs( but floor/surgery nurses, ha never have free moments)

Cons

Team Leaders have their favorites and they do no wrong. Tasks are handed off to other nurses. False charting about being in pt room for rounds

Don't continue to think nurses are a dime a dozen, show and respect the ones there. Also, don't push "the older ones" out the door or fine itty bitty mistakes to fire them. Team leaders and upper management are disgusting and poisonous!

Doing more with much much less

I have been working at Heartland Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Heartland has been a very good place to work for most of my years here. The benefits are great with a top-notch wellness program that provides 2 fitness centers, personal training, access to dietitians, health screenings, and educational classes all for FREE! There is also the potential to earn bonuses each quarter. Many of the people are very friendly, and up until recently, I have felt like those in management cared about me and my well-being.

Cons

Things have definitely been changing around here over the past year or two. A ton of work and money have been spent in areas that are not necessarily working out, and the rest of us are pinching pennies. We have even been told to watch how many post-it notes we are using! People who leave are not being replaced, so it is creating a high level of stress for many departments. Micromanaging is out of control. People are being told at a very detailed level how to look, how to speak, how to create materials, and even how to think. Those who do not fit into their mold are reprimanded and/or fired. You certainly aren't allowed to have a bad day here, or if you are, you had better put a plastic smile on your face and fake it!

I understand the changes that have been happening in health care and that money is getting tighter, but there is no reason to take away the autonomy of your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overstepping their boundaries

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at Heartland Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a better than minimum wage job. Those are few and far between in Saint Joseph, MO and offers tuition assistance if you are lucky.

Cons

Inadequate staffing-always understaffed, management never available. Dept head more interested in playing with the boss than running the department. Rules interpreted to fit the situation or employees. One you fire someone for becoming dangerously ill at work you have a real problem. When you don't discipline other employees for not getting this person the help needed you have an even bigger problem. Aren't hospitals supposed to be kind, caring and compassionate? This is a hospital trying desperately to be one of the big boys and failing badly.

Practice what you preach. Learn your department, learn what happens in each area. Work in the different areas, don't just walk through and say "Hi, how is it going."

Big dreams, but leadership has been disappointing

Current Employee - Care Management  in  Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Care Management in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Heartland Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, good pay. Heartland is leading the way in care management and community outreach. They are well prepared for the changes in healthcare laws. Heartland does well with community partnerships.

Cons

Poor leadership. Expectations are set beyond what is possible with the tools provided to staff; this leads to low moral.

Listen to your workforce.

Exceptional care overworked employees

Current Employee - Case Management  in  Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Case Management in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Heartland Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great care- care givers are determined on best possible outcomes. The pay is good for Saint Joseph standards but well below Kansas City wages. The hospital and most of the clinics are top notch facilities.

Cons

Low pay for the hardest working employees. Middle management and nurses runs business aspects of the organization that they are not trained to handle. Too much group think mentality.

Reduce middle management - clinic managers, team leaders etc... Clinics should ultimately be ran by providers.

Evaluation of Heartland Regional Medical Center Employment.

Former Employee - Infection Control Practitioner  in  Marion, IL
    Former Employee - Infection Control Practitioner in Marion, IL

I worked at Heartland Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fellow employees were knowledgeable willing to work together for the better good of the Medical Center

Cons

Required many long hours of work >8 hours /day to complete the work load.

Always listen to the employees, both pro and con, and be willing to change the method of accomplishing the various tasks and work loads.

A nice place to work.

I have been working at Heartland Health

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for learning.

Cons

Short staffed, work the staff too much.

Love the culture and direction this organization is going!

I have been working at Heartland Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

This organization is on the cutting edge of technology, Medicare reimbursement, and compassion based health care. The company is positioned to ADD not CUT jobs like every other hospital in this nation. I love working here and seeing the amazing changes the organization is implementing. The patient surveys speak for themselves with many in the 98th percentile. Amazing culture that gets better every day.

Cons

HUGE change, which some people do not like. If you are not passionate about people and are not a truly caring individual please do not apply here, you will not like it.

Keep up the good work! Please continue to eliminate and transform bad HEART behaviors. We are behind you all the way!

Evolving culture, decent benefits

I have been working at Heartland Health

Pros

good benefits, free personal trainers, free flu shots, new company culture that focuses on the experience for patients and employees, expanding health care company in a time that healthcare is going through radical changes

Cons

no maternity benefits, no child care, difficult to get your foot in the door with your first position, small town location

It takes time for new culture to "stick"...continue to develop the culture that you want to see and eventually it will happen

Worked for Heartland Health? Contribute to the Community!