Heartland Payment Systems

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr

Bob Carr

Pros:
  • "Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "It took a series of taking the sales force for granted that finally resulted in a mad dash for the door"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Very litigious and take everyone from companies to sales people to court should you be perceived as crossing them"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall I had a good experience at HPS

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pros of the position are the residual income

ConsThe cons of the position are the lack of support and training

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to give more support and advice to its beginners if it wants to have a future in the processing industry.

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood company to work for, treated employees fairly. In the 5 years I worked there I have to say that there were always opportunities.

ConsWhile a good company to work for, the only constant was change. Every year things changed products and services came and went.

Adaptive to new technologies but limited growth

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany adapts to new technologies (ie. Windows 8 almost immediately after RTM, latest version of development IDE), flexible work hours, free lunches every other week, challenging work.

ConsDue to "Scrum" process, we're limited to deliverables within 2 weeks. The requirements from "Product Managers" are minimal in details and they'll nag you for changes constantly. The company bends to client requirements so expect tons of overtime just to keep customers happy. There's no real software architecture due to lack of an architect and constantly changing requirements. The two week deliverable limits innovation. And our director stresses on "releasing software" which again limits innovation and good software engineering practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes great work cannot be done two weeks at a time, and nagging from management to get things done. This policy may work on "not so good" people but for the great developers, we'll just find a job that will let us do great things that we want.

Abnoxious

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsThe systems and strengths of the company are legit. The product is better and the stories of 400K salaries are true..

ConsThat being said it is clear that <5% of the reps are making that money. There is such a disparity between and RM and a DM. This company has literally ruined my resume. They recruit for your "portfolio" and do not use effective training strategies. Their focus is on "Sales process and procedure.. plus some objection handling"... That's great guys. For those of us who have proficient skills in these areas you did nothing to teach us about your bizarre internal protocols.

The bigger kicker is all the new nonsense you learn in the field about: hardware, software, middleware... Total nonsense. They teach you nothing about your competition and how to actual "install" the client. You will literally spend hours (if not days) getting a client to say "yes"... only to find out they need new hardware (terminal).. Pretty sure when you tell a client at the goal line they need to cough up another $300 for a terminal they feel rope a doped..

This job is perfect for a used car salesman!

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. You want to be ethical? Why do only %38 of employees on Glassdoor recommend this job? You may have an attractive compensation plan in place for the select few who "hit the lottery" with a client or good referral source.

You have old dogs in your organization who make all the money and have left wreckage in their wake. You will never get strong new people (more than 30%) to stick around if you're going to keep being stubborn in your ways.

A successful sales person needs legitimate "tools" to succeed. Why don't you at a 'bare minimum' pay for cell phones... BNI groups... Chambers... I don't know, maybe that's too logical or something.

You do not truly invest in your people the way you think you do. You will survive and be the lesser of the evils forever. Who wants to be the "best" company amongst a bunch of scumbags?

New Hire

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people training me have an amazing knowledge of this industry

ConsThe "try out" requirement before hiring. Instructed to set 20 appointments in advance. It is important to set and meet those appointments and I found it difficult to set them days ahead of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind another criteria for the hiring process.

Great Innovations But.....

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsThe reason I started was the innovation of new products and services to offer beyond the restaurant industry. Specifically to local Medical/ Dental offices.

ConsSupervising Management not embracing the technology for Medical sales. Frustrations mounted when management tiering started to change. After the first year selling to my personal network of clients; new industries for heartland in this market. Management had changed, people were bailing out. I decided to do the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't assume what you are being told is happening. Too many financial rewards for managers to push people out before they hit the big goal!!

Absolute Control Management

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsHave an apparently competitive line up of products and services in credit processing industry.

ConsThey believe they are entitled to your entire life even though they preach work-life balance they expect total contribution of your life from day one. It is a sham upon which they recruit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry winning by really adopting the values you advertise for your firm.

Consultative Sales, Customer Service, Project Management and Sales Support / Training

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
Manchester, NH

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost fair and honest Merchant Services and Payroll provider in the market

ConsTechnology releases to market need to be 100% before general release

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not allow family members to report directly to one another

Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

San Antonio, TX

ProsInsurance, W-2 sales, good customer service for your clients

ConsCommission only, hype over substance, it doesn't make sense for a industry professional to work here due to the low residuals and bad equity buy out. Do your research. You are better off opening your own ISO and selling accounts for yourself. The only reason to work here in a sales role is for the insurance...that's it. Financially you are better off selling for yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting politics determine how you run your region. Let go of underperforming managers and allow for new talent to thrive.

Heartland School Solutions(HSS)

Sales (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is good. Culture is good. Work life balance is good except for the support team. School districts are required by law to use a POS software if they want reimbursement from USDA and Heartland School Solutions (HSS) has the best ones to chose from.

ConsHSS needs a process audit real bad. Installing new levels of middle management and micro management.

Worked for Heartland Payment Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heartland Payment Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Heartland Payment Systems CEO Bob Carr. All 210 reviews posted anonymously by Heartland Payment Systems employees.