Heartland Payment Systems

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr

Bob Carr

Pros
  • Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person(in 23 reviews)

• Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Industry low residuals, sales reps pay for the sacred endorsements, micro management(in 20 reviews)

• Most of the sales force is unhappy due to the way management is treating them(in 18 reviews)

Not the only game in town.

Relationship Manager (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsWide range of products, longevity in payment processing, Offer pass through on all interchange to merchants.

ConsNot competitive in sales commissions at all after research. Highly pressured to perform at unrealistic minimums with managers who can't sell and promoted quickly with no proven track record. Very low sales morale among all of us. Made to believe everyone cheats but us, when in reality, the majority offer the same. Very litigious and take everyone from companies to sales people to court should you be perceived as crossing them. Just google it and see. It is crazy to believe you will remain in the industry unscathed if you leave here. It is similar to the movie Stepford Wives.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. learn how to do the job you are enforcing your sales team to do. That is why we are failing in sales with micromanaging division leaders and regional directors. It is a joke. The CEO has way too much faith in big ego talk among the management and has zero pulse on the sales organization. I believe in order to quit, I have to go into another field which is unfortunate after about ten years here.

Overall pretty positive organization to work for.

ProsVery smart people on the management side. Great intentions and drive.

ConsManagement lives all over the country. Difficult logistically to conduct business.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down a little bit with the new product offerings and focus more on perfecting the current roster of solutions. Some of the new launches, although very exciting, are taking a tremendous toll on an already limited staff.

Rather then try to be the "XYZ" of the Payment Processing industry, establish ourselves as the envy of the industry by effecting change from within.

Great company for payment processing, payroll, and e commerce, but needs to have more hands on with the RMs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get paid every week you close and install a deal, great on boarding process, fantastic support team, and easy install process.

ConsIf a merchant cancels a contract before the 3 year term, the entire commission gets reversed. Also lack of support from TMs and DMs may send a lead every 3 months. Auto review usually ends you with NO commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan the DMs please continue to network and maybe give the TM or a struggling RM a referral?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inept Management

Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsUpper management has great ideas. On the outside, this is a great company to work for.

ConsCommission only. No reimbursements. Lower level managers are pathetic. You are in direct competition with your manager. This makes it difficult to succeed when your manager is not giving you the tools you need because if you make a sale, you are taking one away from them. Managers are frequently unavailable because they have to sell and have sales quotas. I was given no training, with the exception of being told to do online tutorials.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to know what is going on in the trenches. They want everyone to drink the Kool-Aid and have no idea what goes on day to day.

Walk the walk not just talk the talk

Pros24/7 call center, large processor with multivendor capability and had a good rep . Lots of products if you want to not sell CC. Public company - respected by many

ConsToo many to list.

Terrible benefit program and expensive healthcare for such a big company.

Managers can't sell themselves out of a paper bag and aren't proven here to anyone. Protect family members .

They tell grand stories but look at the bottom line. Put them out with the poor compensated rep they micromanage and you'll see they couldn't sell a free heater to an Eskimo with frost bite. Too big to get things done in house.

We Get ahead by bad mouthing completion and promote it. Why don't we just do our jobs and stop chastising the competitors. I have merchants complaining about us suing MPS now. Who made our comp the processor police? I used to think this worked but it's backfiring now.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet managers who actually have proven track records, it may actually show value. Get off the high horse about being the only game in town and that it's a honor of sorts to work here. Stop promoting weak managers and family members to manage who are greedy. Let's stop accusing everyone that leaves us or competitors as a bad guy or traitor. My former colleagues up here say, 'There is life after working here'. (I have two more former teammates getting sued and one isn't in the industry anymore but accused of it)

Decent training, crappy pay

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDecent training. A good intro to the business.

ConsAs soon as you figure out what you're doing you can go on your own and make more money. They put you on a wheel of upfront bonuses and small residuals. Don't fall for it! Micro management. No salary, but want to know where you went, who you talked to etc. If you aren't paying me, I should be able to do what I want! After leaving, as a vested employee, cut off residuals anyway. Why? Because they have lawyers on staff, and it would have taken all of my residual check (that I wasn't getting anymore) in order to fight them. They know this, and don't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking the Kool-aid. You are not the end all be all like you think you are.

Overall I had a good experience at HPS

Relationship Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe pros of the position are the residual income

ConsThe cons of the position are the lack of support and training

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to give more support and advice to its beginners if it wants to have a future in the processing industry.

Old management unfair with their own agenda, not in the best interest of the company. New management much better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brook Park, OH

ProsGreat PTO allowance, Great employees

Consvery small financial increases to date

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of your GOOD people before they leave for broader horizons and trim the fat with those that aren't doing their jobs.

Abnoxious

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe systems and strengths of the company are legit. The product is better and the stories of 400K salaries are true..

ConsThat being said it is clear that <5% of the reps are making that money. There is such a disparity between and RM and a DM. This company has literally ruined my resume. They recruit for your "portfolio" and do not use effective training strategies. Their focus is on "Sales process and procedure.. plus some objection handling"... That's great guys. For those of us who have proficient skills in these areas you did nothing to teach us about your bizarre internal protocols.

The bigger kicker is all the new nonsense you learn in the field about: hardware, software, middleware... Total nonsense. They teach you nothing about your competition and how to actual "install" the client. You will literally spend hours (if not days) getting a client to say "yes"... only to find out they need new hardware (terminal).. Pretty sure when you tell a client at the goal line they need to cough up another $300 for a terminal they feel rope a doped..

This job is perfect for a used car salesman!

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. You want to be ethical? Why do only %38 of employees on Glassdoor recommend this job? You may have an attractive compensation plan in place for the select few who "hit the lottery" with a client or good referral source.

You have old dogs in your organization who make all the money and have left wreckage in their wake. You will never get strong new people (more than 30%) to stick around if you're going to keep being stubborn in your ways.

A successful sales person needs legitimate "tools" to succeed. Why don't you at a 'bare minimum' pay for cell phones... BNI groups... Chambers... I don't know, maybe that's too logical or something.

You do not truly invest in your people the way you think you do. You will survive and be the lesser of the evils forever. Who wants to be the "best" company amongst a bunch of scumbags?

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company to work for, treated employees fairly. In the 5 years I worked there I have to say that there were always opportunities.

ConsWhile a good company to work for, the only constant was change. Every year things changed products and services came and went.

Worked for Heartland Payment Systems? Contribute to the Community!