Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Reset
3.3
Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr
Bob Carr

Pros
  • Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen (in 15 reviews)

• Unlimited income, flexible hours, work from home (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Bully management style requiring sales reps to "check-in" throughout the day yet managers do not spend any time in the field (in 21 reviews)

• It is a cult type atmosphere where the upper management draw ridiculous salaries and the sales force only hears from them via conf calls (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Strong culture that offers the opportunity for employees to create an incredible life style!

Pros

Heartland is an honest and ethical company that operates in an industry where others often bend the rules. heartland offers world-class service and products. Fast pace environment where entrepreneurs thrive because of the autonomy and income potenial. On the flip side, people lacking work ethic or discipline weed themselves out pretty fast. Company is growing, which opens up so many opportunities for promotions and new roles. Ton's of recognition and incentive programs to reward results. The company truly rewards the individuals who bring value to the organization and deliver results.

Cons

Some of the systems and reporting avenues can improve. For example, some of the reporting is done through email, which will evolve over time. The CRM is also an opportunity to build in a robust prospect pipeline with a disposition function. Work life balance can be a challenge at times, but then again it falls more on the employee to turn off the cell phone when deciding not to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in hiring top talent, training and development of the talent, and rewarding the ones who consistently deliver the results. The sales leadership training will provide huge returns. Continue to lead with the innovative technology.

Company wants you to work for free!

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Greensboro, NC

Pros

Work on your own schedule Good customer support Good reputation as good as one can be in credit card processing business!

Cons

100% commission No decent training VERY high turn over rate of sales employees No expense reimbursement of any kind Benefits are OK at best "Arm Chair" upper management Cold calling all day long Sent out in the field with no training

Advice to Management

Quite being "arm chair" management! Very easy to send out threatening emails everyday and dumb success quotes thinking this helps your sales staff! Look at your turn over rates and start paying some type of salary instead of making your sales staff starve with no formal training! Upper management needs to get with he times and quit trying to micro manage you when your not getting paid squat. The very small percent of the sales force that are getting their "win" only makes 36k a year!

100% commission! stay away

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

Pros

- gives experience for your resume for outside sales - It's an ethical company for the merchant that buys the service from you. - Heartland has an account for when the Relationship Manager need marketing materials/business materials, such as business cards or trifolds/pamphlets for leave-behinds for your merchants, so that's one less thing you yourself have to pay for - everything else, the Relationship Manager pays. that's it!

Cons

You have to pay out of pocket for most things, gas, metrocard, cellphone, laptop. Basic things that a successful salesperson needs to hit the ground running, you will have to provide for yourself. Whenever you ask someone about anything you're unsure of in regards to how to handle an issue, they refer you to the "knowledge network" which is an online forum of answers that is extremely disorganized. get ready to run all over town setting appointments, to make poor commissions and the residuals take a long time to add up as well. You get a 50% signing bonus, so if your deal is worth $1000, you will make probably 400 dollars or less after taxes. You also have to pay for the account manager installation fee of $50, what is that about?

Advice to Management

I hope that they realize that Relationship Managers are the people making money for the company, they should really reward them better in the beginning to make them want to stay longer and do well, in terms of commissions, residuals and support.

I believe the ride is probably over at Heartland for the employees to be successful.

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

products and services are great. educated sales force who help make the company and turnover was low before. flexible schedule for sales relationship managers. residuals will be purchased at value 30X if vested. technology is top of the line and security is great and done well of promoting since breach. local service and great service center that is very educated and personal.

Cons

territory and div managers are slave labor for little to no pay. rm's stay at company for little residual. change procedures every 3 months because they cannot decide what direction they are going w-co. unreal expectations from managers who in most cases have never sold a product themselves. no real appreciation for the sales force except for 3 minutes of fame. hard to remain successful with negative changing styles of manage and no motivation here now. continual mistakes on commissions in sales compensation every pay period and no real way to check the accuracy of you payments or your residuals. Scary for DM, TM and RM role. portion of residuals and bonus for every sales person goes to NRA and the rep gets no lead for it. TAKE TAKE TAKE. best producers are leaving one by one.

Advice to Management

regional directors and corporate office have no clue on what goes on. if they would listen to the people and realize that everyone is leaving heartland because they have no real heart or pulse on the sales force any more and have micromanaged everyone to death. go back to what we were before it is too late. I personally will have to leave and retire before the negative managers of the latest changes "do or die" attitude goes on. They took the greatest company in the industry with the best service and stomped it out like a cigarette. Seasoned veterans and top sales producers should run while they still have dignity because Heartland does care about anyone other themselves and getting their money back that was lost during the breach. so so sad. get rid of the latest idiot top sales leaders that can't step in the shoes of the worst sales person on any given day. goodbye to the once great employer heartland....hello greed.

Incredible to Horrible

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Princeton, NJ

Pros

Freedom of scheduling and rewarding financial sky is the limit potential of residual wealth with buy out vesting possibilities for those who were granted the ability to be allowed to do so, like myself. Fantistic pricing model on own platform with full price disclosure preached to any and everyone that will listen nationally on their MBOR. Great call center and local service plans.

Cons

Make their Sales People like me before I quit weeks ago pay for their sins of buying their inked up expensive contracts with relationships with no return, like the national restaurant and state assocaitions. Force reps after years of Brown saying no to vested reps who should have been able to get buyouts, being forced to sell the majority of their residuals due to needing liquidily this past summer due to cash flow issues. Randomly after making fun of the other processors for raising rates deciding to raise their rates too with the assn increase to loose the RMs believe system that their was any more credibility left in the system based on written apps being not within just 10% of the volume amount within the 3 years. Sales reps DO pay for marketing materials, inc biz cards after their stipend meets a certain amount. Breach raised tran fee an extra half cent and statement fee to 15 per month, industry high when sales reps only make 12 - 15% , anohter low in the market. Health insurance is a complete and utter joke with as many employees as we have here. All reps required to make 6 K per month in gmo or fired by idiot drone managers who have never really even had proven themselves in the capacity of sales people and no one has even really heard of them other than to bark orders and be careless and rude to all of the members of the team that they will simply be replaced here, yet they struggle to recuiiit continually, making no sense at all. I worked and made goal each month and managed to get my "6 goal each month". However in doing that, if you do that math, the rep from hps getting the goal done would be making 36k before taxes a year and if you did not sign any restaurnat loungess or bars, you would be fortunate to get the 15%, not 12% and pray you didn't lose 50.00 on the install. Then you would get lucky to make an extra 10k per year on residuals. That would be 46 per year before taxes to get to the main goal. WOW. you are loaded and that is no terminal installs. knock me down and just kick me. regardless, the best thing I ever did was move out of the indisutry and get a stable paying job and start selling a tangible products where a company can stand behind their word, iunlike the flim flam of heartland and the winning ways of the leadership of the drones behind it that are the charlie sheene winners who seem to have all the winning answers on how to make it all happen for the company. Maybe they all took the same classes together with the sweat lodge leader, James Arthur Ray, because he talks that same lingo. winning! maybe they shoudl have be called Sheen Winning Card Systems. Duh!

Advice to Management

Advice? right! they dont need anyn - just ask them. they know everything. if you want the way to fix it, ask the people who are or were actually getting it done. I have no idea why the cream of the crop would ever continue to work at such a demotivating employer who continues to remove the benefits, the steam, the drive of the sales people who left with me when I left and the few who are even who are still left. They only care about their money and getting what little they have left back.

Morale of employees sinking,as they struggle to survive the path of the companies continual direction changes

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

1-service center is better than some of the alternatives out there 2-many products out there to offer a merchant 3-low cost transaction fee for a merchant on high speed 4-good reporting system in customer service with notes portfolio manager when used efficiently 5-excellent pay to the service center employees only.

Cons

1-very low pay for sales reps with little residuals compared to competition. might as well be on welfare initially when I hire them it is embarrassing. 2-no way for sales reps to track pay or residuals. residuals never posted until day before pay with no real tracking method. 3-weekly comp pay errors week after week for years on end with no way to really fix without issue. 4-medical insurance benefits are worst in the industry 5-highest equipment costs around the country based on burnt bridges with Verifone and Ingenico. 6-no real incentive to tell them why they should work here when they are micromanaged and forced to do unthinkable reports and dials all day long or they are fired at an 100% commission job with no employee morale. 7-all of the top sales people in this sales organization leave here and have come and gone because it just so bad and now of all people including the #1 vested rep in the country for the past 4 years who was here 12 years or something just left on the yesterday report voluntarily!!!!! and now I just heard that the #2 rep from '10 just left 5 months ago and another last month in top 10. 8-they replaced my manager and other managers numerous times and it is getting old. THere is no reason for why they are picking and choosing but it is a good old boys network and the leaders in place have no real sales experience. they got rid of or lost nearly 900 sales people last year. That is unbelievable. 900 sales people out of 1700. Not a good track record. Now they have about 650 and the goal is to hit 6000 to win, which is how I am judged as a manager. The reps simply game the system at the end of the month to put in false installs and run a transaction so that they don't get fired by the two new leaders and save their low paying jobs. Why do they think there are so many wins on the last day of the month? Gosh, maybe Carr, Einstein himself should take a look at the gaming of his senior leaders himself. so dumb.

Advice to Management

I am new to this site so I haven't read much of the other blogs on here, but I did read the positive review before mine. The real truth is in this and I speak on behalf of many other managers I talk to who also are listen to their RM's. Your new senior managers who delegate behind a desk all day long and never practice the words they preach are just having RMs and TMs shift GMO from one rep to another to get more wins, Carr. Duh. Winning. That is what you care about. You still are not making your numbers or your goals. l It is like Charlie Sheen says I guess. It isn't wisdom, it is the basics of what is common sense. You sadly at 5am send a daily email out to the entire sales force of people every day who are relationship managers letting us know the 2 people or 3 people that WIN and you are the CEO of a fortune 500 company - you are bragging about telling people that they got the minimum! That is not so special. Even better now then you send out the competition's letters of their rate interchange increases from certain merchants, as if we do not do the very same thing to our merchant's right now. Do you believe that First Data, Elavon, Fifth Third, Nova, Global or any of the others would appreciate your claims like we are going around stating they are doing that to all of their merchants. Would we appreciate that if they took one of ours and did that, considering they just did that to one of my million dollar merchants and increased it by nearly 35 bp. We were special before, but we are not now. We do the same thing. you are killing what you once said you wouldn't be and taking us down the tubes because you are too eager to get all of your money back. BP for monthly settlement that we are supposedly charged by the association? Care to retract? No cost increases for 3 years. No payment for Associations from HPS or the sales force? Well all of that isn't the case anymore. I am putting my notice in next month after my May residuals come in and making sure I get my check and letting this place go once and for all after 6 years! I know more resignations coming, as well! If the top are staying, what the heck does that tell ya?

Extremely Unreasonable Demands. Constant Disrespect to R.M.s., Pay isnt great for the industry!

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good service and pricing for merchant..

Cons

No doubtt Management is busy positive reviews for themselves here. They are trying hard to stay on front page with positive results. But if you flip thru the pages you will see how real R.M.'s feel about working here . And its not good. Ive been here for 5 years and I havent heard one happy R.M. for the last 6 months to a year. Pay isnt great for industry. Benefit package is laughable for a big co. They went against their own word, contract and forced buy out to R.M.s with absolutly no advance notice to them. They also cut off completly much of residuals last August to R.M.s who had left H.P.S. and were in good standing with H.P.S. contract.. H.P.S. sent them fake excuses why they wre cutting off residuals. Some wre legally challeged and H.P.S. had to start paying again cause they had no proof for their allegation for cutting off residuals, many people just accepted it and lost money they worked for and were promised they would have for life. I have heard there are more lawsuits in the making.. ( this all happened same time they did "forced buy out with employed R.M.s). Honest and Ethical has left H.P.S. when it comes to R.M.,s hards work . They obviously have no repect for R.M.s welfare. Its all about them. I dont think they have a clue what R.M.s have to do to get the job done. .I can do the job.Ive been very successful thru the years. But the company is no longer the same. Its now a anilmal with fangs. This job isnt easy. And its a whole lot harder when they are constanlty increasing our cost, changing policys, changing required paperwork, underwriting is a mess. and inconsistant . Thanks H.P.S. . They are not the only company that does good pricing. There are many competitors that go below our margin requirement another reason Ive lost to my competition. If you can be sucessfull here you can sell somewhere else and get respect and better compensation package for sure. I cant refer anyone to work here even a stranger.

Advice to Management

Please understand R.M.s current feeling about working here.This company doesnt have a good reputation as a place to work for at all. Read the reviews.

What have you done for me lately?!!

Current Employee - RM/TM in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - RM/TM in Princeton, NJ

Pros

Solid mix of products to sell, as many have stated they roll out products that are incomplete or rushed to market to keep the "sheeples" excited. Good place to learn the industry if you are new AND ONLY if you have a knowledgeable manager. Lots of Endorsements which are nice, but have been paid for on the backs of RM's.

Cons

Micro-management deluxe. New regime is all about quantity and not quality. Company has found every manner possible to to squeeze the sales force, particularly the front line Relationship Manager out of the compensation. Company will do, whenever they see fit, whatever they decide is in the best interests of the stockholders and Sr. Leadership. They don't follow their own written and published sales policies. Recruiting practices are to sell you a dream of lucrative income and while you starve, constantly fault you for lack of activity or effort. Product is expensive for merchants, compensation program is one of the weakest due to layers of management with everyones hands in the pie. Many endorsements have been purchased. Benefits as a sales person are very weak and insurance is expensive.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing your best sales people to death. Stop changing the rules. Seek to understand why so many of the top sales people have left the company. Eliminate the layers of management and increase the RM's compensation. Stop twisting the truth and be honest with your team when there is a necessary change. The best sales people do not make the best managers. Train your managers not on product, but how to manage.

I Cant Really Think of any Thing Good to say about Being in Sales at H.P.S..

Current Employee - R M in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - R M in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Customer Service is good for merchant.

Cons

Where do I begin? Management has reached new levels of demoralizing the sales force. Everything negative Ive read here is correct. And no its not because people dont want to work. Ive seen good managers demoted or fired and bad ones remaining employed. Upper management doesnt seem to have a clue on what the real world out here in the sales force is about. I would tell a new R.M. prospect..."save yourself alot of time and trouble, look elsewhere for employment you can do better".

Advice to Management

Try honestly hearing all these negative reveiws, it may help your company!

A good place to learn payment processing

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good merchant products; Great customer service team; Integrity with their merchants; Good online training tools.

Cons

In September 2010, Heartland started the WIN program. So, the requirement to make $3,000 in margin went to $6,000 litterally overnight. Sales employees living in rural areas or depressed areas are expected to make the margin. It's very clear by seeing the numbers each month that employees who live in densly populated and heavy business areas make their goals, but those who do not usually do not make their monthly goals. So, the company has created a pressure cooker environment for their commissin only sales force. Heartland has fired over half of their sales force since this program was initiated. Also, there appears to be a method to their madness; if a sales person is not "vested" (their portfolio is $10,000 or greater), the company simply keeps any monthly residual earnings that would have gone to the sales employee. This is usually between 12% to 30% of their monthly margin. Since it usually takes over 3 years to become vested, then much of the new business that new sales employees bring in their furst 3 years is gravy for the company. In this current environment, most sales employees either resign or are fired within their first year. In summary, this is a good place to learn the ropes of payment processing, but know that suceeding is very stressful and requires more work and effort than what you're being compensated. Expect to earn less than minimum wage your first year or so and you pay all of your own expenses.

Advice to Management

I understand this is a publically traded company and stockholders call the shots. But please evaluate what you are doing to good employees who worked hard and were not only selling, but servicing their merchants. Merchants are very upset that they have been orphaned. Soon the word will spread that Heartland is without heart.

RSS Feed </> Embed