Heartland Payment Systems

Updated August 9, 2014

3.1

Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr
Bob Carr

Pros
  • Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person (in 23 reviews)

• Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Industry low residuals, sales reps pay for the sacred endorsements, micro management (in 20 reviews)

• Most of the sales force is unhappy due to the way management is treating them (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

I was employed by HPS for 5 yr and have been gone 3 yrs. READ THIS REVIEW if planning on working for this company .

Former Employee - Relationship Manager

Pros

Great stepping stone in the payment processing industry. Step lightly and quickly though.

Cons

I left this company three yrs ago and went to local private owned company. Better pay for the effort.
    HPS is an ISO. Don't let them tell you different. I have been "hunted" by this company and it's local reps since I left. In this industry you sell yourself and a relationship...not a company. My customers from HPS and my current company follow ME, not the company I work for. Build your relationships in your community based on truth and trust and they will always stay with you or follow you where you go. I have no trouble selling, installing and servicing my current and past portfolio without all the fluff and buff. Keeping it simple and local is the best way. No merchant wants to be a MID to a 1866 number when they can be a saved contact in my personal cell phone and I answer them by name and can be at their front door in an hour. This company will eat you and your savings up and spit you out broke if you are not very careful. You will NOT have lifetime residuals and they will continually work the numbers to keep you from vesting. Don't waste your time here, look up someone in your area who owns a local ISO and work for them. The money in this industry is in the residuals....not the signing bonuses that will be nickeled and dimed before they pay them out to you.

My advise to management is have some pride in yourself and stop manipulating the poor new hires to sign up all their friends and family with HPS and then fire them in 2-3 months and still hold the merchants to a 3 yr contract.
    Get out there and help your employees.
    When people move on and leave HPS....leave them alone. It is a freedom here in America to work where we want to work.
    Stop sweeping HR issues under the rug.

Divisional Managers Do Not Train- Stay Away If No Industry Experience- You Will Go Bankrupt

Former Employee - Relationship Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Company offers more than just merchant services. College Campus program and School Bucks- Diversified product line.

Cons

1- Lowest payout in the industry-competitors that are W-2 offer higher residuals with signing bonus and higher residual only compensation plans.
    2- Divisional Managers have very little industry experience- cannot read a competitor statement. Those that look to leave are rewarded with a Territory Manager position to stay- no ability or experience necessary
    3- Divisional Managers paid guaranteed salary- no skin in the game- Divisional goals go down rather than up- not sure what business model this is taken from.
    4- Zero Expense policy- most Relationship Managers do not last more than 6 months and then realize they have spent more of their own money than they have earned.
    5- You need to have close to $1500 in residuals before you own your residuals- Interview question- Ask for the names of employees in the division that have become vested in the last 3 years and if you could reach out to them for insight...cricket chirping. If you are vested and want to sell a portion of your residuals than you must have produced $6000 in margin in the last 3 of 4 month which equals about 8 deals a month.
    6- Last Day of the month means managers swipe preloaded gift cards to trigger installed margin. Account flipping is prevalent so managers can say they hit their margin goals- Bad for the sales rep, the client and the SEC.
    7- Micromanagement- commission only job- constant e-mails, texts, e-mail, FTAs, Hot Wheel Calls, more micromanagement than an assembly line in a factory.
    8- Reps terminated via voicemail and when they are in the hospital. Result of having no interpersonal relationship with the sales staff. You do not hit your MIN you are gone. Your MIN is $6000 in margin or approximately 8 deals a month
    9- Any who leaves who is successful gets sued- Owning your residuals; lifetime residuals is a fantasy.
    10- Noncompete is overreaching- Before you accept a position see how many years you are handcuffed after you leave- At HPS it is 5 years.
    11- Restrictive Pricing and High Schedule A- in ultra-competitive metro markets you have a $25 monthly cost and price floors put in place you cannot go below with giving up your signing bonus.

Managers need to be better qualified. Have Divisional Managers spend time in the field with their Relationship Managers. Restructure the comp plan in higher cost of living areas so you can retain sales professionals. Provide an expense allowance tied to their production. Constant e-mails and texts are not going to encourage sales reps to open their front door. Genuine interest in their careers might...try it.

Micro Manage all of your time - while you are a straight commission rep

Pros

The technology side of things is good

Cons

Very low commission, micro management, high quotas with little or no thought to whether you are out in the boonies or New York City

Pay more attention to the employees feed back

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Thanks for all the hard work, dedication and superior customer service you delivered, but we don't need you anymore.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The Service Managers (the original title of the position and a better description of what we did) worked from their homes which made for an ideal 'work-life' balance. The pay was good, thou confusing at times, seeing it went from salary to hourly back to salary back to hourly. The iPad 2 they gave us in our final year was a nice going away present.

Cons

The Account Managers were (the position was eliminated) made to feel like a little red headed step child. Upper management couldn't decide from year to year what our responsibilities would be. Cronyism was rampant. Unqualified people promoted to positions they weren't qualified for making hard to communicate with them and do our job effectively.

I would have been happy to surrender some of my pay to have been allowed to sell the products again like we were able to do in the early years of the 'channel'.

One of the most oppressive places I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Client Support  in  Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Client Support in Jeffersonville, IN

Pros

High starting pay, air conditioning, gym, and cafeteria. This a call center job. Gas stations call for terminal support. The work is easy.

Cons

The job started out decently but went down hill quickly. At one point I went to management about the attitude and condescending nature of one the supervisors there and that's when my trouble started. I was relentlessly bullied and three members of management were on my back until I had to cancel my two weeks resignation and leave. They watched my every move and berated me every chance they got, and one time the head manager called me into the office to literally yell at me like I was her teenage child.

The management is a big clique or family unit. Everyone there is related or in the clique and it's the only way you can get promoted there. Management puts everything on the employees below them and they stand in big groups and only socialize and offer no help when you are overwhelmed. You get training only once and the rest of the updates are only through email. You are expected to handle everything yourself and little help is given. They also had little consideration of my needs and changed my schedule without notice.

While there I suffered overt discrimination and bullying and was unfairly shorted my second to last check over 300$. Heartland Payment Systems is a garbage place to work. I am glad that I had the nerve to quit. They brow beat their employees and micromanage their every move.

Less fraternization and religious over tones at work. Treat your employees like people not machines.

Bottom Feeders

Former Employee - Relattionship Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Relattionship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

They paid for a hotel room at the Summit meeting for the brainwashing that Heartland is THE ONLY processor that can use Amex OptBlue. The boss actually bought one dinner at the Summit, never in the field for our Hot Seat calls or meetings

Cons

This company is at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to putting a sales force in the field.... empty promises of support, empty training that wants you to memorize a script to having no control of your pricing in the field - no respect for time and investment they ask of outside sales reps with NO BENEFITS or financial assistance. Using Atlas to go through old accounts and begging them to come back "by the hand of God you will make a six figure income" is the training in the Great Lakes region... with your script.... and huge expenses to boot

Grow up and get over you were bullied in High School (that was an actual motivational speech), now you get to do it to sales reps.... get former training that can be transitioned to the field. Give attention to the rep you are sitting with and after showing up 20 mins late to tell them they stink and then spend most of the meeting on the phone with other Reps. If this is the vision Bob Carr and he is the leader of CC processing ethics he needs to look at the way his own people are treated

Good Luck !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

You can work from home...that's about it.

Cons

Even though you work from home and they brag you can set your own schedule you are micro managed to death. Daily emails along with multiple phone calls and text messages wanting to know what you are doing every minute of the day. You can be a top producer month after month and have one bad month and now you are on notice. Local management likes to bully their RM's in order for them to produce....seriously? Management needs to be taught how to manage, not just given a title because they are the last man standing after everyone left after the security breach. You are expected to work day and night, weekends, all the time. NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE AT ALL.

Stop trying to invent the wheel...take what has already worked for so many other companies and improve it for your company. You also need to take your executive directors and make them sell again...particularly payroll. NONE of them have every sold payroll yet they think they know everything about it.

Worked for HPS for 7 yr and have been gone now for 2 yrs

Former Employee - Relationship Manager

Pros

The service Ctr is great for employees as a resource and great for merchants to have 24/7 help line.
    If you have worked for HPS you are eagerly sought by other processors for employment once you leave.
    Can access your merchants info live and easily via computer.

Cons

E3 is not acceptable in its current state. Pay is unpredictable. The impression of how things work and how HPS fits into the payment industry is misleading. True cost is not revealed. Inflated reputation of company is sold to new employees who do not know better. Upper management manipulate things seriously to make numbers appear higher than actually are. New employees are squeezed for friends and family that are decision makers for local businesses to gain their processing and sign them into contract . They do this knowing most RMs will be gone in 3-6 mo and then those accounts are manipulated and resigned for false margin and control and residuals go to RMs who are still left in area. They basically recycle the merchant base over and over. It is a cult type atmosphere where the upper management draw ridiculous salaries and the sales force only hears from them via conf calls. The upper management never works side by side with team they manage and most haven't made actual sale in over 5-10 yrs. They have no current knowledge of our economy and current obstacles sales team faces daily. HPS is situating itself for a sale to another processor in the near future. I see big change coming that will dramatically affect veteran employees and the residual base they have worked to build.

None, because I feel like most of them are nothing but glorified report generators and could easily be eliminated with no effect to HPS.

Deceitful Hiring Practices & Dummy Revenue Numbers

Former Employee - Relationship Manager

Pros

Remote office sales job. Do a good job of marrying technology with sales. Multi-product sales opportunity.

Cons

Division Managers interview candidates and say they can expect to earn between 75K and 150K their first year. The few superstars that are left all averaged 20K-35K in their first year. Micromanagement for commission only job. Require you to install a minimum amount of "margin" or revenue each month for commission only job. Division Managers flip accounts on last days of the month by swiping pre-loaded cards to install these accounts so margin is created. Problem is that if merchant is not ready to process or business is not open yet RMs do not get paid but manager hits their "margin" revenue number. Assume this is what they are reporting to the Street? Bully management style requiring sales reps to "check-in" throughout the day yet managers do not spend any time in the field. Lowest payout in the industry. Claim that signing bonuses far outweigh low residual payout yet if that account leaves within 12 months or processing volume is less than stated on the statement sales rep has to pay that money back. Only company in the industry where your portfolio must generated $10,000 is revenue before you "own" your residuals (vesting). Competition vests your residuals from first deal installed. No expense allowance or reimbursement- Trainings are attended off site at your expense. $25 month cost or $300 per year on every deal signed up. Health Insurance $700+ per month out of pocket with $3500 deductible. Can get a better policy with Affordable Care Act in place. Sales lead though few and far between are given to weaker performers so they can attain their Win rather than to the RMs that are top producers.

Insure that RDs and DMs are appointed based on merit rather than nepotism. Do not pay DMs a salary yet expect TMs and RMS to be commission only- Conflicting goals. In ultra competitive metro areas adjust comp plan so you can retain reps where cost of living is higher. In these areas eliminate management layers so bigger piece of the pie is available to the RMs and retention can increase. Stop the practice of DMs flipping accounts on the last days of the month so they hit their revenue number. It does not help the RM, the merchant, nor the shareholders that think this revenue is real.

HSS: Destructive office politics and workplace mobbing

Pros

Helping schools is satisfying. Some products are innovative. Most co-workers are nice and effective. Some salaries are competitive.

Cons

The atmosphere is hostile, and workplace mobbing is common. Ousting others is common with little to no reasoning. Absolutely no idea how to coach, mentor, or support others. Morale is in the gutter with no hope of rising. Destructive politics ruin chances of success and render exceptional talent as impotent. Retaliation from senior mgmt is a normal way of life, so keep your mouth shut.

Go to some sort of training to learn how senior mgmt is meant to behave. Get a point of reference for what you are doing outside of your four walls. Learn how to take your ego out of the critical diagnoses others have to bring to you instead of turning on people and creating the most hostile workforce I ever hope to know.

Worked for Heartland Payment Systems? Contribute to the Community!