Heartland Payment Systems

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr

Bob Carr

Pros:
  • "Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most of the sales force is unhappy due to the way management is treating them"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Very litigious and take everyone from companies to sales people to court should you be perceived as crossing them"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Thanks for all the hard work, dedication and superior customer service you delivered, but we don't need you anymore.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe Service Managers (the original title of the position and a better description of what we did) worked from their homes which made for an ideal 'work-life' balance. The pay was good, thou confusing at times, seeing it went from salary to hourly back to salary back to hourly. The iPad 2 they gave us in our final year was a nice going away present.

ConsThe Account Managers were (the position was eliminated) made to feel like a little red headed step child. Upper management couldn't decide from year to year what our responsibilities would be. Cronyism was rampant. Unqualified people promoted to positions they weren't qualified for making hard to communicate with them and do our job effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have been happy to surrender some of my pay to have been allowed to sell the products again like we were able to do in the early years of the 'channel'.

One of the most oppressive places I have ever worked.

Client Support (Former Employee)
    Jeffersonville, IN

ProsHigh starting pay, air conditioning, gym, and cafeteria. This a call center job. Gas stations call for terminal support. The work is easy.

ConsThe job started out decently but went down hill quickly. At one point I went to management about the attitude and condescending nature of one the supervisors there and that's when my trouble started. I was relentlessly bullied and three members of management were on my back until I had to cancel my two weeks resignation and leave. They watched my every move and berated me every chance they got, and one time the head manager called me into the office to literally yell at me like I was her teenage child.

The management is a big clique or family unit. Everyone there is related or in the clique and it's the only way you can get promoted there. Management puts everything on the employees below them and they stand in big groups and only socialize and offer no help when you are overwhelmed. You get training only once and the rest of the updates are only through email. You are expected to handle everything yourself and little help is given. They also had little consideration of my needs and changed my schedule without notice.

While there I suffered overt discrimination and bullying and was unfairly shorted my second to last check over 300$. Heartland Payment Systems is a garbage place to work. I am glad that I had the nerve to quit. They brow beat their employees and micromanage their every move.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess fraternization and religious over tones at work. Treat your employees like people not machines.

Bottom Feeders

Relattionship Manager (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThey paid for a hotel room at the Summit meeting for the brainwashing that Heartland is THE ONLY processor that can use Amex OptBlue. The boss actually bought one dinner at the Summit, never in the field for our Hot Seat calls or meetings

ConsThis company is at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to putting a sales force in the field.... empty promises of support, empty training that wants you to memorize a script to having no control of your pricing in the field - no respect for time and investment they ask of outside sales reps with NO BENEFITS or financial assistance. Using Atlas to go through old accounts and begging them to come back "by the hand of God you will make a six figure income" is the training in the Great Lakes region... with your script.... and huge expenses to boot

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and get over you were bullied in High School (that was an actual motivational speech), now you get to do it to sales reps.... get former training that can be transitioned to the field. Give attention to the rep you are sitting with and after showing up 20 mins late to tell them they stink and then spend most of the meeting on the phone with other Reps. If this is the vision Bob Carr and he is the leader of CC processing ethics he needs to look at the way his own people are treated

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Luck !

Cincinnati, OH

ProsYou can work from home...that's about it.

ConsEven though you work from home and they brag you can set your own schedule you are micro managed to death. Daily emails along with multiple phone calls and text messages wanting to know what you are doing every minute of the day. You can be a top producer month after month and have one bad month and now you are on notice. Local management likes to bully their RM's in order for them to produce....seriously? Management needs to be taught how to manage, not just given a title because they are the last man standing after everyone left after the security breach. You are expected to work day and night, weekends, all the time. NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE AT ALL.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to invent the wheel...take what has already worked for so many other companies and improve it for your company. You also need to take your executive directors and make them sell again...particularly payroll. NONE of them have every sold payroll yet they think they know everything about it.

Worked for HPS for 7 yr and have been gone now for 2 yrs

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe service Ctr is great for employees as a resource and great for merchants to have 24/7 help line.
    If you have worked for HPS you are eagerly sought by other processors for employment once you leave.
    Can access your merchants info live and easily via computer.

ConsE3 is not acceptable in its current state. Pay is unpredictable. The impression of how things work and how HPS fits into the payment industry is misleading. True cost is not revealed. Inflated reputation of company is sold to new employees who do not know better. Upper management manipulate things seriously to make numbers appear higher than actually are. New employees are squeezed for friends and family that are decision makers for local businesses to gain their processing and sign them into contract . They do this knowing most RMs will be gone in 3-6 mo and then those accounts are manipulated and resigned for false margin and control and residuals go to RMs who are still left in area. They basically recycle the merchant base over and over. It is a cult type atmosphere where the upper management draw ridiculous salaries and the sales force only hears from them via conf calls. The upper management never works side by side with team they manage and most haven't made actual sale in over 5-10 yrs. They have no current knowledge of our economy and current obstacles sales team faces daily. HPS is situating itself for a sale to another processor in the near future. I see big change coming that will dramatically affect veteran employees and the residual base they have worked to build.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, because I feel like most of them are nothing but glorified report generators and could easily be eliminated with no effect to HPS.

Deceitful Hiring Practices & Dummy Revenue Numbers

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)

ProsRemote office sales job. Do a good job of marrying technology with sales. Multi-product sales opportunity.

ConsDivision Managers interview candidates and say they can expect to earn between 75K and 150K their first year. The few superstars that are left all averaged 20K-35K in their first year. Micromanagement for commission only job. Require you to install a minimum amount of "margin" or revenue each month for commission only job. Division Managers flip accounts on last days of the month by swiping pre-loaded cards to install these accounts so margin is created. Problem is that if merchant is not ready to process or business is not open yet RMs do not get paid but manager hits their "margin" revenue number. Assume this is what they are reporting to the Street? Bully management style requiring sales reps to "check-in" throughout the day yet managers do not spend any time in the field. Lowest payout in the industry. Claim that signing bonuses far outweigh low residual payout yet if that account leaves within 12 months or processing volume is less than stated on the statement sales rep has to pay that money back. Only company in the industry where your portfolio must generated $10,000 is revenue before you "own" your residuals (vesting). Competition vests your residuals from first deal installed. No expense allowance or reimbursement- Trainings are attended off site at your expense. $25 month cost or $300 per year on every deal signed up. Health Insurance $700+ per month out of pocket with $3500 deductible. Can get a better policy with Affordable Care Act in place. Sales lead though few and far between are given to weaker performers so they can attain their Win rather than to the RMs that are top producers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsure that RDs and DMs are appointed based on merit rather than nepotism. Do not pay DMs a salary yet expect TMs and RMS to be commission only- Conflicting goals. In ultra competitive metro areas adjust comp plan so you can retain reps where cost of living is higher. In these areas eliminate management layers so bigger piece of the pie is available to the RMs and retention can increase. Stop the practice of DMs flipping accounts on the last days of the month so they hit their revenue number. It does not help the RM, the merchant, nor the shareholders that think this revenue is real.

HSS: Destructive office politics and workplace mobbing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHelping schools is satisfying. Some products are innovative. Most co-workers are nice and effective. Some salaries are competitive.

ConsThe atmosphere is hostile, and workplace mobbing is common. Ousting others is common with little to no reasoning. Absolutely no idea how to coach, mentor, or support others. Morale is in the gutter with no hope of rising. Destructive politics ruin chances of success and render exceptional talent as impotent. Retaliation from senior mgmt is a normal way of life, so keep your mouth shut.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to some sort of training to learn how senior mgmt is meant to behave. Get a point of reference for what you are doing outside of your four walls. Learn how to take your ego out of the critical diagnoses others have to bring to you instead of turning on people and creating the most hostile workforce I ever hope to know.

Horrible!

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsAbsolutely No Pros at all! None!

ConsToo many to name! Just to name a few: No support; Must buy your own brochures and other expenses with no reimbursements; Must work many, many hours including having to do technical service on your accounts and accounts (that you did not sign up) in your territory without reimbursement even for the gas to do this servicing. Just horrible!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up!

Not the only game in town.

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsWide range of products, longevity in payment processing, Offer pass through on all interchange to merchants.

ConsNot competitive in sales commissions at all after research. Highly pressured to perform at unrealistic minimums with managers who can't sell and promoted quickly with no proven track record. Very low sales morale among all of us. Made to believe everyone cheats but us, when in reality, the majority offer the same. Very litigious and take everyone from companies to sales people to court should you be perceived as crossing them. Just google it and see. It is crazy to believe you will remain in the industry unscathed if you leave here. It is similar to the movie Stepford Wives.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. learn how to do the job you are enforcing your sales team to do. That is why we are failing in sales with micromanaging division leaders and regional directors. It is a joke. The CEO has way too much faith in big ego talk among the management and has zero pulse on the sales organization. I believe in order to quit, I have to go into another field which is unfortunate after about ten years here.

Inept Management

Chesapeake, VA

ProsUpper management has great ideas. On the outside, this is a great company to work for.

ConsCommission only. No reimbursements. Lower level managers are pathetic. You are in direct competition with your manager. This makes it difficult to succeed when your manager is not giving you the tools you need because if you make a sale, you are taking one away from them. Managers are frequently unavailable because they have to sell and have sales quotas. I was given no training, with the exception of being told to do online tutorials.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to know what is going on in the trenches. They want everyone to drink the Kool-Aid and have no idea what goes on day to day.

Worked for Heartland Payment Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heartland Payment Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Heartland Payment Systems CEO Bob Carr. All 221 reviews posted anonymously by Heartland Payment Systems employees.