Heartland Payment Systems

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
289 reviews filtered by

Understanding the Heartland Culture

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Heartland employees are a group of sales professionals that do not want to be tied down to a job or be a slave to a corporate monster. We have the ability to go out and HUNT for our leads, NUTURE the relationship with the business community and create a culture of making as much money as we want.

Being a slave is something that most people desire and most people do not understand that a silver chain around your neck worth 65K and a capped commission plan at 50K is a slave mentality and we do not subscribe to that here at Heartland. New candidates are clearly told this is a HUNTER role with no leads and when they fail at obtaining 10-20 appointments with out a business card yet basic training as to not put you in a situation where you fail due to vernacular, then these candidates lash out. This is a direct result of not being a consultative, value proposition sales professional.

There are quite a few companies to sell credit card services for and in the end you get no commission and a higher residual yet your tenure is on average less that 6 months and the only millionaire is the owner of that ISO. Heartland has generated at last count right over twenty millionaires due to its pay structure and yes those are sales professionals not corporate guys!

If you want a great company to sell for, doing the right things and make a great living treating merchants and other human being right then you can call this home. However, make sure you can score a touchdown if you come to the table boasting you can!

Cons

Employee enrichment on all levels so the long term goal is established while not focusing on the short term success. Turnover in Heartlands business model is not conducive to growth in the hiring arena.

Advice to Management

Bring back early Win points and get rid of the Diamond program. Take five minutes and reread the Sales Professional Bill Of Rights. Always practice what you preach.

Relationship Manager job is harder than you think - saturated market - very competitive - pay is low for a sales job.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Toledo, OH

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Manager, not so Great District Manager. Good training, overall good model for credit card processing for customer.

Cons

No solid leads. Saturated market. Hundreds of cold calls resulting in few appts.......due to being the 9th person calling client at 10am for credit card / payroll services. No promotion / advertising in area making them relatively unknown in sales call. Was told I'd receive residuals on accounts sold for lifetime customer's contract (not true)
    You have to be vested $10,000 gross revenue a month, plus make their $6500/mo goal. I was told I didn't qualify for residuals although I sold some great accounts into Heartland services. I was told I didn't meet goal 3 months, so they sent me letter telling me I resigned, then never paid me for 3rd car dealership I signed. They gave credit to some other rep. Thank god I had a great manager there who respected me and made it right. NO EXPENSES PAID EITHER. This kinda reminds me of the vacuum cleaner sales people - sell all your old customers, friends, family, then they fire you because you run out of leads, then move to next person asking them to do same thing. Also, seems like a pyramid scheme as managers make money off what you sell, even after you are gone.

Advice to Management

You have a great product, but work harder to make your relationship managers successful and stop the high turnover in area which gives company a bad name. I saw many clients who said I was 3rd Hearland rep they saw in a year.

Dedicated employee of almost 7 years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brook Park, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brook Park, OH

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There was a big management change when Heartland 'bought' Ovation Payroll. In doing that all old management was let go and new management was brought in.

Cons

Since the new management, things have been a mess. Favoritism has always been an issue and will continue to be, annual reviews are well below the cost of living. Micro Management. Fear of taking personal time. Depends on the supervisor. Upper Management is a joke as is middle management now, trying to move employees from department to department when unable to run the current one, leaving the employees' feeling helpless and no one to turn to for help.

Advice to Management

Since leaving I haven't heard of a single person who is still happy working there and are looking for other opportunities. You can't make everyone happy, but you can at least listen to what the employees have to say. I think it would benefit them company to keep around the people who have been around a long time and know the ropes

5. Good local support for Credit Card Processing.

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

good training at the local level

Cons

not enough advertising on a national basis

Some really good people and some that are not.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

Great training concept. Some in lower level management live in the real world.

Cons

Middle and upper management are simply out of touch with the current business environment. Very poor execution of training model.

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices, get in the field and experience the current climate. Ask yourself why your managing a "revolving door"!

7. A good place to work

Former Employee - Payroll Implementation Specialist
    Former Employee - Payroll Implementation Specialist

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere; management is easy to talk to; and employees are able to suggest process improvements and see it through

Cons

No work life balance (I.e. No flex schedules or work from him option as their competitors offer)

High quality business opportunity or not?

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HPS has created an excellent infrastructure overall and enjoys a reputation for a "client-centric" business model. This might be a good choice for a seasoned industry pro.

Cons

Trial by fire: HPS lacks a pro-active in depth training program. In the first week you are expected to book 10 cold appointments & 4 networking dates without even a business card and only rudimentary training. Tight quota expectations lead to huge attrition. A new rep can create business for which HPS need not pay residuals if the rep does not make it. Reps actively grow the HPS database by adding all their leads. 100% commission w/ small stipend for a few weeks.

Advice to Management

Take the opportunity to match the training of new Reps with fair and transparent business model you offer merchants. The loss of human capital is unnecessary.

9. I have great support from my territory manager.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited compensation and flexible schedule.

Cons

No salary to buffer transition to commission only.

Advice to Management

Better one on one training at beginning of career.

one call close, B2B merchant services/credit card sales

Former Employee - Sales in Rockland, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in Rockland, NY

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

The services were good and reasonably priced. Customer service was/is great - my friends who still use the credit card services got excellent services when their store was flooded out.

Cons

They wanted me to call 20 businesses/day and go see another 5 or 10. Way too much to keep track of. Very pushy management. They told me I would have a draw for 6 months & they lied - they cut it off after 2 months! Not good. It was commissioned sales only.

Ok Company Depending on you department.

Former Employee - Payroll Processor in Brook Park, OH
    Former Employee - Payroll Processor in Brook Park, OH

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy Job, Great training, Friendly people, Relaxed atmosphere, HR on site.

Cons

Supervisors are not on same page. They showed a lot of favoritism and childishness. No work life balance if time is needed off you were afraid that you may loose your job.

Advice to Management

Show your workers respect

Heartland Payment Systems Photos