Heartland Payment Systems

Reset

Poor management!

Current Employee - Tax Department in Brook Park, OH
    Current Employee - Tax Department in Brook Park, OH

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with! The employees make it run efficiently and effectively as a team. The pto policy is very lenient and fair. The overall day to day job duties are very reasonable and obtainable. Decent salaries. Most of the Managers are extremely hands on and supportive.

Cons

Uneducated and unprofessional upper management. Extremely bias and unfair and classless. A joke!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the respect and appreciation they deserve. The managers do!

QA Analyst

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of talented people. All work well together and share information. Face paced work environment and managers are willing to help. Pay is average for the market. Benefits are good.

Cons

Doing a lot of reorganization. Trying to consolidate departments after buying smaller companies and this is several times a year. Wants to be cutting-edge but making many mistakes while doing so.

Advice to Management

Need to have more training when new products are rolled out. So many new functions are added to existing products and not enough time spent on how to test them.

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super smart people, great culture, lots of opportunities to grow/develop, solid leadership that really cares about employees. Beautiful, brand new office space in Plano, TX with great, on-site amenities.

Cons

With such heavy growth by acquisition, there are many legacy systems and processes that have to be supported.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with the Employee Surveys - it means a lot that you care enough to ask, and even more that you actually read them and have already made changes.

Living on just commision

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Alexandria, LA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Alexandria, LA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

with Heartland you have a chance to retire with a residual income

Cons

with Heartland to reach out to management and assistance it's by phone call or email to someone usually out of state...not local

Advice to Management

Try to have management and home office give the same advice /information in training....also management should stick with a REP until they show consecutive closes in sales in front of him

Inside Relationship Manager

Former Employee - Inside Relationship Manager in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Inside Relationship Manager in Edmond, OK

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

It is a very good company. Reason for leaving is that the Inside position is a new concept for this company. Still a secret to the outside sales team.

Cons

Not a good experience because of their training

Advice to Management

Have a plan already in place for position.

This was a very frustrating experience.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Glen Cove, NY
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Glen Cove, NY

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You essentially work for yourself, so you can go where you need to, when you want to. It's flexible and you continue to make an override on your accounts.

Cons

This market is exceedingly saturated so it's very difficult to get new accounts.

Work here if nothing else is available

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

Nice people. Everyone means well. Lots of promises. The products are ethical and work as promised. The competition in general, in the credit card processing business, is worse.

Cons

Working for Heartland is a bit like selling Amway. Lots of happy talk but few make it work. Eventually everyone you work with will be gone. Everyone. No matter how hard you work. And given the business model does Heartland really care? No. The company and the owner gets to retain the income stream from the clients you worked so hard to sign up.

Advice to Management

I think they plant people to write positive reviews on this site. Working for Heartland is not a career, its a lily pad. Use it until you can jump to something else.

9. Em

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great facilities, friendly work environment, it is a growing business, there appears to be opportunities for career growth but must be in the right position

Cons

While there has been great growth management has been slow to centralize and consolidate making redundant tasks with very little integration

Advice to Management

Management needs to slow down on the M&A aspects and focus on getting current operations running effectively before trying to tackle new major projects

Lifetime residuals are a lie.

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When we started the company was focused on being the honest Guys in the Industry. We had the ability to price the Merchants Fairly while making a fair living. We cared for the Employees and the Customers. We were told we were working toward Portfolio Equity. The Sky was the limit. We had the ability to be Entrapaneurs. We ran our own business.

Cons

As the years progressed Managment raised our minimum pricing so high we could not compete Especially when it came to smaller Merchants. They raised the monthly cost several times. They raised our sales quotas. They treated us more and more like Robots and less and less like Entrapaneurs. We weren't allowed to give the personal service we had promised the merchants. My 8 hour days turned into 12 hour days. Work / Life balance did not exist. The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased. I later found out that cost was not true cost. After more than 9 years with the Company, I decided to retire. In less than a year of leaving, my lifetime residuals have dwindled way down. The most recent cut was to convert all American Express accounts to house accounts due to a change in the American Express Program. This change substantially increased the profits of the company. They did not have to take the residuals from the former employees. I'm being told by Human Resources this was a company wide decision by Managment to no longer pay residuals to former employees. We hired people with the expectation of being the honest company. I'm receiving calls from people that gave their all to build their portfolios and have been cheated out of their monthly residual with no warning or legitimate reasoning.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Actually be honest. Remember that the Sales Force delivers the income to the Company. Follow through with your promise to the previous Employees. Many of these Employees that you have now cheated are the same ones that stood by you during the breach. Honor your promose of lifetime residuals for as long as the Customers that were brought to the company are still processing with the company.

Please read this review and do something Heartland.....

Current Employee - Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great call center where calls are answered quickly. The working from home part is very attractive. Money can be good if Heartland costs are not too high.

Cons

Heartland's reputation of having the most educated sales representatives in our industry is being destroyed by managers at Heartland who just hire anyone if they agree to straight commission.

Merchants are being approached by uneducated sales reps (rookies) who have no training to speak of and only know that they have to get their "FTA's" into Atlas or their manager will threaten their straight commission job. It's really an oxymoron to do that anyway, you aren't paying them anything, why should they stick around and be micro-managed to death and get nasty text messages from their manager on a daily basis?

Heartland used to have the most passionate sales reps in the nation. We loved what we did. Now, it has been destroyed from the top down by bullies and micro-managers who have no regard for the welfare of their employees. When was the last time one of your managers in sales actually told a sales rep "Hey, I know your having a tough month, forget the FTA's and let's go out together and close some business" or how about "I know you just had surgery so don't worry about the FTA's, we believe in you and know that once your healed, you will do a great job". Motivate and encourage your salespeople. Give them something positive to shoot for! Right now this is not happening. Your managers DO NOT CARE one iota about their salespeople whom they make overrides on. Why do you continue to do this Heartland? Why let the inmates run the asylum?

Advice to Management

I have been here a long time. It's very sad to see the TM, DM and VP positions abusing their powers with no end of it in sight. PLEASE upper management look closely at what your lower level managers are doing. Ask the feet on the street what kind of nasty text messages and emails they are getting from their managers. These emails/text messages DO NOT conform to what you are saying to us through your marketing team (i.e.. "Salesperson Bill of Rights", "Entrepreneurs Respectfully Serving Entrepreneurs"). If you care (even a little bit) about the sales people, PLEASE look into this and see for yourself. Don't take my word for it, do the leg work and just look, it's in plain sight. The way your managers are threatening sales employees may work for the short term to get your stock up but it's not worth it when everyone is just working out of "fear" of losing their job. And it is a "job", I promise you. It used to be a "career" but not anymore. It feels more like the floor of a used car lot.

If you preach integrity & transparency to our competitors and talk about all the "bill of rights" you've come up with, why not actually DO IT and treat your employees the way that you tell everyone else you do? It's really perplexing to see this go on year after year. Maybe your trying to get rid of direct sales employees which is why your hiring inside sales and wanting to use POS dealers to sell but remember, you still need expert merchant services reps to sell your products and educate a mass merchant market that has no idea how processing works. Also, you need "relationship managers". We have relationships with our clients that no one can duplicate, not an HSC employee, not a POS dealer and not a Portfolio Management employee. We are the ones bringing the business to you because we are good (very good) at what we do.

Please do the right thing and put an end to these corrupt and immoral managers. They have no business managing anyone and they deserve to be terminated. And if you think sending out an anonymous survey is going to tell you real results, I promise you it doesn't. The sales employees don't trust Heartland so they don't believe it's anonymous. They will tell you what you want to hear because they are once again afraid of losing their job. Some will tell you the truth because they figure "If they find out it's me, oh well, I'm miserable anyway" BUT others are too scared. Please do the right thing and investigate these people.

RSS Feed </> Embed