Heartland Payment Systems

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014

Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr
Bob Carr

Pros
  • Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person (in 23 reviews)

• Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Industry low residuals, sales reps pay for the sacred endorsements, micro management (in 21 reviews)

• Most of the sales force is unhappy due to the way management is treating them (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

you decide the outcome of your career

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

unlimited income, flexibility, great for the aggressive sales market.

Cons

none that i can think off

re consider when a employee makes a mistake

Unethical Management

Former Employee - Information Technology in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Plano, TX

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay seems high at first; some good people in the lower ranks...

Cons

If you are a single healthy man between the ages of 22 and 45, this is a good place for you but if not, the upper management will find a way to get rid of you. They pretend to be interested in how employees feel and what they think, but they use any information against you. For example they fabricate reasons to get rid of anyone who has high medical expenses (like anyone who has had a baby, has young kids or anyone with a chronic health problem). To make matters worse, the health benefits are terrible anyway. If you want to move up to management, don't work hard, just get in with the right clicques.

If you are not the ones promoting the unethical behavior of your middle and upper management, start cleaning house. Your turnover rate and backstabbing middle management is making you a joke in the industry.

Internal Competition

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Greatest Bonus in the Industry for signing a new merchant.

Cons

Since it's a 100% Performance based position, the sales Rep should work as a Independent Contractor and not as a W2 employee, so you would have the opportunity to right off a lot more expenses on tax return.
    Even as a employee, you have no protected territory and your managers could pretty much be your competitor.

Consider change in the sales system to retain your top sellers and avoid high turnover.

Micro Manage all of your time - while you are a straight commission rep

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The technology side of things is good

Cons

Very low commission, micro management, high quotas with little or no thought to whether you are out in the boonies or New York City

Pay more attention to the employees feed back

Great place to work, great people.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, lost of natural light, open seating, OK cafeteria, full gym (with showers!), basketball courts, ping pong, fooseball, clean bathrooms, the works.

They listen to their slaves.

Cons

Yet to see any.

Keep listening.

A company that cares; Heartland means caring

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are genuine; team-players. If interested in a sales rep position, there's plenty of room for opportunity and growth.

Cons

Small company; not much room for growth

Keep doing a great job in treating your employees well; make them feel they add value

OK Job

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Location - close to Interstate. Campus - beautiful and well maintained. Training Opportunities - plentiful.

Cons

Salary - much lower than industry average for Customer Service Management

Should make all management attend DDI seminars, not just lower/middle management. All customer advocates should attend better customer service training, not just product/industry training. Office culture is typical for a once small but now large corporate environment.

Thanks for all the hard work, dedication and superior customer service you delivered, but we don't need you anymore.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Service Managers (the original title of the position and a better description of what we did) worked from their homes which made for an ideal 'work-life' balance. The pay was good, thou confusing at times, seeing it went from salary to hourly back to salary back to hourly. The iPad 2 they gave us in our final year was a nice going away present.

Cons

The Account Managers were (the position was eliminated) made to feel like a little red headed step child. Upper management couldn't decide from year to year what our responsibilities would be. Cronyism was rampant. Unqualified people promoted to positions they weren't qualified for making hard to communicate with them and do our job effectively.

I would have been happy to surrender some of my pay to have been allowed to sell the products again like we were able to do in the early years of the 'channel'.

One of the most oppressive places I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Client Support in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Client Support in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High starting pay, air conditioning, gym, and cafeteria. This a call center job. Gas stations call for terminal support. The work is easy.

Cons

The job started out decently but went down hill quickly. At one point I went to management about the attitude and condescending nature of one the supervisors there and that's when my trouble started. I was relentlessly bullied and three members of management were on my back until I had to cancel my two weeks resignation and leave. They watched my every move and berated me every chance they got, and one time the head manager called me into the office to literally yell at me like I was her teenage child.

The management is a big clique or family unit. Everyone there is related or in the clique and it's the only way you can get promoted there. Management puts everything on the employees below them and they stand in big groups and only socialize and offer no help when you are overwhelmed. You get training only once and the rest of the updates are only through email. You are expected to handle everything yourself and little help is given. They also had little consideration of my needs and changed my schedule without notice.

While there I suffered overt discrimination and bullying and was unfairly shorted my second to last check over 300$. Heartland Payment Systems is a garbage place to work. I am glad that I had the nerve to quit. They brow beat their employees and micromanage their every move.

Less fraternization and religious over tones at work. Treat your employees like people not machines.

The Tail Wagging the Dog

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heartland School Solutions is a division of Heartland Payment Systems; they have functional offices in Rochester, NY, Tempe, AZ, and Harlan, KY. HSS likes to think that they are HPS' "Golden Child" business unit. Heartland School Solutions is the largest technology and payments provider for K12 in the industry - there is no denying that when you buy the competition.

Cons

Why not consider products and solutions that your customers want?!? ASK THEM!! Don't just assume that they'll buy your widget because you're the 'market leader'. Culture at HSS is non-existent; guess you could call "fear for your job" a culture. HSS and their acquired K12 technology clients have suffered from day 1 from weak and ineffective sales leadership - expect that trend to not change any time soon. Work your tail off, but don't expect clear leadership or a career path.

Clean up the 'executive' team at School Solutions. Their discriminatory policies and blatant favoritism will catch up with them. Practice what you preach...

Heartland Payment Systems Photos