Heartland Payment Systems

Updated January 11, 2015
3.1

Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr
Bob Carr

Pros
  • Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person (in 23 reviews)

• Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Industry low residuals, sales reps pay for the sacred endorsements, micro management (in 21 reviews)

• Most of the sales force is unhappy due to the way management is treating them (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work, great people.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, lost of natural light, open seating, OK cafeteria, full gym (with showers!), basketball courts, ping pong, fooseball, clean bathrooms, the works.

They listen to their slaves.

Cons

Yet to see any.

Keep listening.

Thanks for all the hard work, dedication and superior customer service you delivered, but we don't need you anymore.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Service Managers (the original title of the position and a better description of what we did) worked from their homes which made for an ideal 'work-life' balance. The pay was good, thou confusing at times, seeing it went from salary to hourly back to salary back to hourly. The iPad 2 they gave us in our final year was a nice going away present.

Cons

The Account Managers were (the position was eliminated) made to feel like a little red headed step child. Upper management couldn't decide from year to year what our responsibilities would be. Cronyism was rampant. Unqualified people promoted to positions they weren't qualified for making hard to communicate with them and do our job effectively.

I would have been happy to surrender some of my pay to have been allowed to sell the products again like we were able to do in the early years of the 'channel'.

The Tail Wagging the Dog

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heartland School Solutions is a division of Heartland Payment Systems; they have functional offices in Rochester, NY, Tempe, AZ, and Harlan, KY. HSS likes to think that they are HPS' "Golden Child" business unit. Heartland School Solutions is the largest technology and payments provider for K12 in the industry - there is no denying that when you buy the competition.

Cons

Why not consider products and solutions that your customers want?!? ASK THEM!! Don't just assume that they'll buy your widget because you're the 'market leader'. Culture at HSS is non-existent; guess you could call "fear for your job" a culture. HSS and their acquired K12 technology clients have suffered from day 1 from weak and ineffective sales leadership - expect that trend to not change any time soon. Work your tail off, but don't expect clear leadership or a career path.

Clean up the 'executive' team at School Solutions. Their discriminatory policies and blatant favoritism will catch up with them. Practice what you preach...

A company that cares; Heartland means caring

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are genuine; team-players. If interested in a sales rep position, there's plenty of room for opportunity and growth.

Cons

Small company; not much room for growth

Keep doing a great job in treating your employees well; make them feel they add value

One of the most oppressive places I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Client Support in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Client Support in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High starting pay, air conditioning, gym, and cafeteria. This a call center job. Gas stations call for terminal support. The work is easy.

Cons

The job started out decently but went down hill quickly. At one point I went to management about the attitude and condescending nature of one the supervisors there and that's when my trouble started. I was relentlessly bullied and three members of management were on my back until I had to cancel my two weeks resignation and leave. They watched my every move and berated me every chance they got, and one time the head manager called me into the office to literally yell at me like I was her teenage child.

The management is a big clique or family unit. Everyone there is related or in the clique and it's the only way you can get promoted there. Management puts everything on the employees below them and they stand in big groups and only socialize and offer no help when you are overwhelmed. You get training only once and the rest of the updates are only through email. You are expected to handle everything yourself and little help is given. They also had little consideration of my needs and changed my schedule without notice.

While there I suffered overt discrimination and bullying and was unfairly shorted my second to last check over 300$. Heartland Payment Systems is a garbage place to work. I am glad that I had the nerve to quit. They brow beat their employees and micromanage their every move.

Less fraternization and religious over tones at work. Treat your employees like people not machines.

Depends on how it works for you

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Company means to deal fairly and honestly with customers; probably believes it means to do so with employees. You likely won't feel you're being asked to do things you think are "evil".

Company has been remarkably successful in hiring people with good attitudes, willing to work with others. Curiously, that doesn't always mean the attendant benefits ensue, but 97% or so of the people with whom you interact will at least try to be pleasant and helpful.

Actual workload cost to your life varies by position and, quite frankly, what you're willing to assume/put up with - my case, generally 40-45 hours, but some people, much more.

They pay reliably and on time (something you might not notice without contracting experience). Compensation MAY include bonuses. Compensation MAY include a stock grant after a couple of years - and they won't necessarily tell you about it ahead of time - a bit strange.

There is a 401K with up to a 3/8 match on up to 8% of your pay. Health insurance is subsidized. They offer LTD and STD, and $50K life insurance.

Company SEEMS to be gaining market share, and in any case has a revenue stream.

Cons

Bottom line first: Could not easily recommend to someone already "satisfactorily" employed.

Benefits are weak. Health insurance is high-deductible and they offer an HSA, but you'd better do the math on what you're actually going to pay out. They offer 3 weeks + 1 day PTO to start - but that includes whatever time you take off sick. The STD and LTD are capped rather low for professionals. You can buy more life insurance than the $50K they provide, but you'd better do it soon after hire, or you'll go through underwriting. Health is UHC, most of the other coverage is UNUM. You can do distinctly better on benefits elsewhere. (Admittedly, you could also do worse.)

Company has many places where they imagine they are doing "agile" development "using Scrum". It is not that agile or Scrum are bad things. It is the "imagine" part.

Career opportunities depend very much on where in the firm you are and where you want to go. There are some places where advancement is impossible regardless of merit.

Knowledge tends to be silo-ed. There are a number of people who know stuff that is not shared in an organized way. This makes it difficult to accomplish things optimally, or even close. Moreover, the payment card industry is not well standardized, and what's needed for one situation may contradict what's needed for another, and this is the kind of knowledge not well shared. It is not by and large an intentional issue, but one which doesn't receive appropriate management attention.

Annual review is about as silly and pointless as in many large firms.

Credit is often given to those who put out the fires they themselves started rather than to those who avoid them by wise foresight. Perhaps this is "normal" for tech segments of a sales-oriented firm.

Like many firms, they staff many unneeded positions. The people so employed may work well and diligently, yet at work unlikely to provide value. The firm uses project managers of the kind who are held responsible for work delivered but have no authority to compel it. On top of them is layered an enterprise project management organization which, kindly put, is annoying yet valueless.

Stop hiring for about a year and use better the people you have. Arrange EFFECTIVE means to share knowledge; establish a "must-know" BOK for each functional group and train for it early after hire.

Bottom Feeders

Former Employee - Relattionship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Relattionship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They paid for a hotel room at the Summit meeting for the brainwashing that Heartland is THE ONLY processor that can use Amex OptBlue. The boss actually bought one dinner at the Summit, never in the field for our Hot Seat calls or meetings

Cons

This company is at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to putting a sales force in the field.... empty promises of support, empty training that wants you to memorize a script to having no control of your pricing in the field - no respect for time and investment they ask of outside sales reps with NO BENEFITS or financial assistance. Using Atlas to go through old accounts and begging them to come back "by the hand of God you will make a six figure income" is the training in the Great Lakes region... with your script.... and huge expenses to boot

Grow up and get over you were bullied in High School (that was an actual motivational speech), now you get to do it to sales reps.... get former training that can be transitioned to the field. Give attention to the rep you are sitting with and after showing up 20 mins late to tell them they stink and then spend most of the meeting on the phone with other Reps. If this is the vision Bob Carr and he is the leader of CC processing ethics he needs to look at the way his own people are treated

Strong Sales processor

Former Employee - Outside Direct Sales in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Outside Direct Sales in Portland, OR

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company promotes a strong sales support group and strong leadership. Good money can be earned as long as your willing to always work hard.

Cons

As a rep you learn the inside scoop about a company. You are always going after the next BIG account. Thats what matters

Good company and they should work on good ways to bring more good leads to the sales team. When any company does this and does not worry about the lead cost, they can really help their overall sales.

I am Blessed to be a part of this company. Five Stars from Texas

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are paid for your performance in the sales field. I will never go back to a salaried position again.
    Active Sales Reps that follow Heartland Methodologies will earn $$$$$$$, monthly residuals and gain portfolio equity.
    The "94 Comp Plan" has been in place since....... 1994. It hasn't changed since inception and I am compensated greatly for my contribution in the sales force.
    We are all W-2 employees. As a prior business owner, I'd never want to be a 1099 contractor. Most sales people are terrible at taxes and fail to save money to pay them directly.
    Our Founder and CEO, Bob Carr, has tremendous integrity, foresight and passion that bleeds into our entire workforce. His vision and values have created a culture like no other I've witnessed before.
    There are ample opportunities for growth and advancement.
    I get to watch my kids grow and enjoy a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about Heartland or the opportunity I've been given. This can be the career of a lifetime for the right personality. I share my perspective as an employee that has finally discovered what I'll be when I grow up..... A Heartlander.

Speaking from the sales field, this is not a career for the weak of heart. A successful sales rep will have a very special skill set.

The Industry is very competitive and unregulated. Payment Technology is evolving quickly and Reps need to be adaptive to frequent change.
    Experience in cold calling, networking, leading appointments, and engaging C-Level Executives are valuable assets as a sales professional.
    This should not be considered an entry level sales position.

I'm proud of what the Leadership Team is doing and their vision for the future. I look forward to looking back in five years to realize what Heartland has accomplished.

Good Company, Difficult to achieve goals

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company gives you a lot of support

Cons

They want you to be entrepreneurial, but don't let you run the business the way you want to.
    Way too much "do it for the team".

You invest substantially in your new hires, but don't give them enough time to deliver the ROI you are looking for.

Heartland Payment Systems Photos