Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Lifetime residuals are a lie.

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When we started the company was focused on being the honest Guys in the Industry. We had the ability to price the Merchants Fairly while making a fair living. We cared for the Employees and the Customers. We were told we were working toward Portfolio Equity. The Sky was the limit. We had the ability to be Entrapaneurs. We ran our own business.

Cons

As the years progressed Managment raised our minimum pricing so high we could not compete Especially when it came to smaller Merchants. They raised the monthly cost several times. They raised our sales quotas. They treated us more and more like Robots and less and less like Entrapaneurs. We weren't allowed to give the personal service we had promised the merchants. My 8 hour days turned into 12 hour days. Work / Life balance did not exist. The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased. I later found out that cost was not true cost. After more than 9 years with the Company, I decided to retire. In less than a year of leaving, my lifetime residuals have dwindled way down. The most recent cut was to convert all American Express accounts to house accounts due to a change in the American Express Program. This change substantially increased the profits of the company. They did not have to take the residuals from the former employees. I'm being told by Human Resources this was a company wide decision by Managment to no longer pay residuals to former employees. We hired people with the expectation of being the honest company. I'm receiving calls from people that gave their all to build their portfolios and have been cheated out of their monthly residual with no warning or legitimate reasoning.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Actually be honest. Remember that the Sales Force delivers the income to the Company. Follow through with your promise to the previous Employees. Many of these Employees that you have now cheated are the same ones that stood by you during the breach. Honor your promose of lifetime residuals for as long as the Customers that were brought to the company are still processing with the company.

2. Em

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great facilities, friendly work environment, it is a growing business, there appears to be opportunities for career growth but must be in the right position

Cons

While there has been great growth management has been slow to centralize and consolidate making redundant tasks with very little integration

Advice to Management

Management needs to slow down on the M&A aspects and focus on getting current operations running effectively before trying to tackle new major projects

Please read this review and do something Heartland.....

Current Employee - Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great call center where calls are answered quickly. The working from home part is very attractive. Money can be good if Heartland costs are not too high.

Cons

Heartland's reputation of having the most educated sales representatives in our industry is being destroyed by managers at Heartland who just hire anyone if they agree to straight commission. Merchants are being approached by uneducated sales reps (rookies) who have no training to speak of and only know that they have to get their "FTA's" into Atlas or their manager will threaten their straight commission job. It's really an oxymoron to do that anyway, you aren't paying them anything, why should they stick around and be micro-managed to death and get nasty text messages from their manager on a daily basis? Heartland used to have the most passionate sales reps in the nation. We loved what we did. Now, it has been destroyed from the top down by bullies and micro-managers who have no regard for the welfare of their employees. When was the last time one of your managers in sales actually told a sales rep "Hey, I know your having a tough month, forget the FTA's and let's go out together and close some business" or how about "I know you just had surgery so don't worry about the FTA's, we believe in you and know that once your healed, you will do a great job". Motivate and encourage your salespeople. Give them something positive to shoot for! Right now this is not happening. Your managers DO NOT CARE one iota about their salespeople whom they make overrides on. Why do you continue to do this Heartland? Why let the inmates run the asylum?

Advice to Management

I have been here a long time. It's very sad to see the TM, DM and VP positions abusing their powers with no end of it in sight. PLEASE upper management look closely at what your lower level managers are doing. Ask the feet on the street what kind of nasty text messages and emails they are getting from their managers. These emails/text messages DO NOT conform to what you are saying to us through your marketing team (i.e.. "Salesperson Bill of Rights", "Entrepreneurs Respectfully Serving Entrepreneurs"). If you care (even a little bit) about the sales people, PLEASE look into this and see for yourself. Don't take my word for it, do the leg work and just look, it's in plain sight. The way your managers are threatening sales employees may work for the short term to get your stock up but it's not worth it when everyone is just working out of "fear" of losing their job. And it is a "job", I promise you. It used to be a "career" but not anymore. It feels more like the floor of a used car lot. If you preach integrity & transparency to our competitors and talk about all the "bill of rights" you've come up with, why not actually DO IT and treat your employees the way that you tell everyone else you do? It's really perplexing to see this go on year after year. Maybe your trying to get rid of direct sales employees which is why your hiring inside sales and wanting to use POS dealers to sell but remember, you still need expert merchant services reps to sell your products and educate a mass merchant market that has no idea how processing works. Also, you need "relationship managers". We have relationships with our clients that no one can duplicate, not an HSC employee, not a POS dealer and not a Portfolio Management employee. We are the ones bringing the business to you because we are good (very good) at what we do. Please do the right thing and put an end to these corrupt and immoral managers. They have no business managing anyone and they deserve to be terminated. And if you think sending out an anonymous survey is going to tell you real results, I promise you it doesn't. The sales employees don't trust Heartland so they don't believe it's anonymous. They will tell you what you want to hear because they are once again afraid of losing their job. Some will tell you the truth because they figure "If they find out it's me, oh well, I'm miserable anyway" BUT others are too scared. Please do the right thing and investigate these people.

Understanding the Heartland Culture

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Heartland employees are a group of sales professionals that do not want to be tied down to a job or be a slave to a corporate monster. We have the ability to go out and HUNT for our leads, NUTURE the relationship with the business community and create a culture of making as much money as we want. Being a slave is something that most people desire and most people do not understand that a silver chain around your neck worth 65K and a capped commission plan at 50K is a slave mentality and we do not subscribe to that here at Heartland. New candidates are clearly told this is a HUNTER role with no leads and when they fail at obtaining 10-20 appointments with out a business card yet basic training as to not put you in a situation where you fail due to vernacular, then these candidates lash out. This is a direct result of not being a consultative, value proposition sales professional. There are quite a few companies to sell credit card services for and in the end you get no commission and a higher residual yet your tenure is on average less that 6 months and the only millionaire is the owner of that ISO. Heartland has generated at last count right over twenty millionaires due to its pay structure and yes those are sales professionals not corporate guys! If you want a great company to sell for, doing the right things and make a great living treating merchants and other human being right then you can call this home. However, make sure you can score a touchdown if you come to the table boasting you can!

Cons

Employee enrichment on all levels so the long term goal is established while not focusing on the short term success. Turnover in Heartlands business model is not conducive to growth in the hiring arena.

Advice to Management

Bring back early Win points and get rid of the Diamond program. Take five minutes and reread the Sales Professional Bill Of Rights. Always practice what you preach.

If it sounds too good to be true.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent call center 24/7 support starter salary for 4 months then they sell** (con).

Cons

Lowest residuals paid micro managed 100% commission Vested is not really vested.

Advice to Management

This will never be what it was. To those who know the industry, this is the biggest joke running. what goes around, eventually goes around. The egos of the egomaniacs there are too big to even see it.

Developer

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Decent, family-friendly atmosphere. The pay and bonuses are good. You will be treated as a person, not a cog.

Cons

Most of the development culture is rotting. CTO has stated he knows things need to change, but he isn't affecting any changes. Management makes promises it can't (or won't) keep.

Advice to Management

Cut the red tape, listen to the people who know what they're talking about. Stop chasing buzz words.

Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

Nice people in customer service dept.

Cons

Run Run Run as fast as you can from this company, you will get chewed up & spit out. This company is nothing more than a multi-level marketing,

Advice to Management

none

Relationship Manager job is harder than you think - saturated market - very competitive - pay is low for a sales job.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Toledo, OH

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Manager, not so Great District Manager. Good training, overall good model for credit card processing for customer.

Cons

No solid leads. Saturated market. Hundreds of cold calls resulting in few appts.......due to being the 9th person calling client at 10am for credit card / payroll services. No promotion / advertising in area making them relatively unknown in sales call. Was told I'd receive residuals on accounts sold for lifetime customer's contract (not true) You have to be vested $10,000 gross revenue a month, plus make their $6500/mo goal. I was told I didn't qualify for residuals although I sold some great accounts into Heartland services. I was told I didn't meet goal 3 months, so they sent me letter telling me I resigned, then never paid me for 3rd car dealership I signed. They gave credit to some other rep. Thank god I had a great manager there who respected me and made it right. NO EXPENSES PAID EITHER. This kinda reminds me of the vacuum cleaner sales people - sell all your old customers, friends, family, then they fire you because you run out of leads, then move to next person asking them to do same thing. Also, seems like a pyramid scheme as managers make money off what you sell, even after you are gone.

Advice to Management

You have a great product, but work harder to make your relationship managers successful and stop the high turnover in area which gives company a bad name. I saw many clients who said I was 3rd Hearland rep they saw in a year.

The hypocrite company

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Hah. I guess it's a fairly autonomous job.

Cons

Disgusting amounts of cold-calling, a sleazy product to sell, massive micromanagement, a commission structure that ensures the house always wins, constant turnover, dishonest business practices, you have to pay for your own business cards, and a president who tries to sell you copies of his crappy book at their annual meeting.

Advice to Management

Cut the crap. Entrepreneurs "respectfully serving..." Blah blah blah. That's utter garbage. There is nothing entrepreneurial about the job. It's just a buzz word to keep from having to pay sales reps a salary. I've worked for companies much further up the fortune list who micro-manage a lot less. As for respectful service, go ask customers in the field how respected they felt by Heartland. 1/2 of former Heartland clients aren't ever coming back... even if they're with another bad company. My advice to management is, make it a company worth working for. It's not right now, unless you're willing to sell out your morals to sell the product.

Great employer

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

Room to grow, expectations are understood.

Cons

No real training program for new hires

Advice to Management

Consider a new hire training program.

RSS Feed </> Embed