Heinz

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.0

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 33 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Heinz is Growing a Better World

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Very talented employees, fun/young environment, learning a ton.

Cons

Long hours, but worth it

Continue to reward your good employees for their dedication.

Believe it!

Former Employee - Group Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Group Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm a former employee based on the 3G takeover. I loved working at Heinz prior to that time. It was an amazing company with great colleagues, decent benefits, good salary and bonus structure and lots of freedom to do good work. The 3G takeover was a sad day in the long and great history of Heinz based on what I saw transpire and what I've heard from colleagues who stayed after I left. Read the other reviews carefully as much of the discussion on the poor practices are TRUE. Buyer Beware....

Cons

Too many to discuss here-- the work-life balance went out the window. Friends have told me people are required to work late in to the evening; even week ends for R&D. Crazy!! We all worked hard but there's a limit to what is reasonable.

Review the other Glassdoor comments and hold the mirror up to yourself and the leadership team. The picture isn't pretty!

Things have changed for the worse

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Great brand. Used to be a good culture

Cons

The current management wants to only make money. They will put it back on the market soon

Let things be

Good people, crappy management!

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Work is good and steady!

Cons

What a joke! From HR down to supervisors! Favoritism is crazy and if you have an issue that needs taken care of especially up in HR, you better take care of it yourself! They talk to you like your an idiot, no respect and that's if you can get a hold of them because they DONT answer the phones or call you back! They tell every bodies business to anybody! Everybody knows your business before you punch in! Very unprofessional management!!!

Get NEW management!!!!

Promising

Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm young and just starting out in the industry. Heinz gave me a chance.

There is no where to go but up.

Cons

Everything. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. No....no I'm not.

This company is a mess. We are dropping customers like flies because leadership (I'm looking at you Brazilians) don't understand how this business works.

Morale is at an all time low. I got to experience a little bit of the old culture before the mass chaos. People honestly loved their jobs. When I started, I was eager to learn as much as I could and I saw myself staying with Heinz for quite a while. That isn't the case any longer. The only reason I haven't left yet is because I can't. I'm putting in my time to as my boss says "put Heinz on the resume" and then I'm gone. This place is ridiculous. I love my job but the so called "culture" and upper management disgust me.

Drop Heinz like a hot potato. You'll be doing everyone a favor. Go ruin Tim Hortons. When your policies become jokes between employees, customers and suppliers, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!!

If you're willing to listen....the best advice I can give you is be honest. This business is in shambles; own up to your mistakes and fix them by learning the business. That means bringing in people who actually know what they're doing. I know that's weird coming from a new kid but I am more than willing to admit inexperience is hurting Heinz.

Career Development Opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Fantastic opportunities to grow your career. Talented people. Experienced leaders. Beloved brands. History. Vision and Values are clear and integrated into everything we do. Culture is a big priority.

Cons

Everyone has a lot on their plates. This is a fast-paced environment that is incredibly demanding.

Continue to reward and invest in your people.

Used to be a GREAT company until 3G got their hands on the company, now it's a complete disaster!!

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great brands, great people, advancement opportunities, bonuses, merit increase & recognition for doing great work

Cons

The new owners (3G) have no idea of how to run a food manufacturer. They have literally destroyed what was a great company in 12 months. They fired a lot of talented people with tremendous industry knowledge & replaced them with rookies to the industry. Reason being, they want to cut salaries to save money, instill their own "culture" on these newbies, work everybody to the bone & don't pay them for their efforts. They talk about Meritocracy, but to date, nobody has seen any financial reward. You might get a title change or promotion that requires a ton of more work, but they aren't "showing you the money". Cut costs, close factories, hire the cheapest talent you can find, all to pad your Brazilian pockets more & more every day.

Very, very disappointing to see what you have done 3G to Heinz in less then 12 months. HJ Heinz must be rolling over in his grave at how you have taken one of the worlds most powerful brands and destroyed it. No wonder you are losing all your talented people, only reason people are still there is they probably don't have an option right now. Wait till they get that option, they will fly the coop faster then you can say Meritocracy.

Back up what you say in your Meritocracy talk and pay the people who perform and make your quarterly numbers. Be honest with you employees, you know how bad things are, why aren't you owing up to it and more importantly, fixing it!! Get back to focusing on the customer, they are the ones who pay you salary. You have lost touch with what made Heinz a great company & fun place to work, so stop with all the cost cutting and take care of your employees and customers before there is nothing left. Very sad shell of what used to be a great company. Is it time to burn the furniture to save on the heating bills?

Done with my rant, you get the picture, fix it now!

It will never be a fun place to work

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hand out Senior titles to Juniors in lieu of a pay rise
    Great brands

Cons

Rewarded for staying late - even if you do nothing
    Blindly throw Juniors in to big roles and watch them fail
    People are very much a cost to be squeezed
    Meritocracy - often mentioned, never followed
    Brazilians will always get the big jobs
    No work life balance at all

Be honest about what you're offering.

A dying company and a shell of what it used to be

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros currently. None whatsoever

Cons

The new senior management is clueless about the United States CPG industry. Clueless. We are losing distribution and accounts left and right. Most of our customer relationships went from #1 to dead last in the industry. New management and HR fake reviews on this site and ask others to fake reviews. Nearly all of the top talent has left or been fired only to hire incompetent college grads. There is no work-life balance. The company is horrific. A once grand place is gone forever.

LEAVE. Bring back the old Heinz leadership.

My experience at Heinz was very undesirable.

Former Employee - Scale Technician in Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - Scale Technician in Pocatello, ID

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason I liked working there was my schedule. I had to work early in the morning, which I hated, but I absolutely loved getting off in the early afternoon.

Cons

I loved the people I worked with on my team, but the managers and upper management made it almost impossible to have a happy environment. People were not treated with very much respect. There was very harsh criticism all the time. Everybody was afraid to say anything, but it happened all the time.

Listen, listen, listen, listen. I forgot to say listen. Many employees have bright ideas. Reward individuals, not just factories. Although it is important to make money and work hard, it is not everything. Happy employees are better employees. They work harder and thus you make more money. Treat the employees better.