Heinz Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
2.2

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is unapologetic about lack of work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• No work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to Executive Management Team; Variety of projects; Broad experience across the business; High earning potential; fun, talented and smart colleagues; global leading brands; iconic history; strong vision and values; ethical business practices; focus on CSR and giving back to the community; focused on developing talent and recruiting top talent

Cons

Challenging goals and high sense of urgency; always pushing to do better

Continue to offer employee benefits to increase morale

Promising

Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm young and just starting out in the industry. Heinz gave me a chance.

There is no where to go but up.

Cons

Everything. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. No....no I'm not.

This company is a mess. We are dropping customers like flies because leadership (I'm looking at you Brazilians) don't understand how this business works.

Morale is at an all time low. I got to experience a little bit of the old culture before the mass chaos. People honestly loved their jobs. When I started, I was eager to learn as much as I could and I saw myself staying with Heinz for quite a while. That isn't the case any longer. The only reason I haven't left yet is because I can't. I'm putting in my time to as my boss says "put Heinz on the resume" and then I'm gone. This place is ridiculous. I love my job but the so called "culture" and upper management disgust me.

Drop Heinz like a hot potato. You'll be doing everyone a favor. Go ruin Tim Hortons. When your policies become jokes between employees, customers and suppliers, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!!

If you're willing to listen....the best advice I can give you is be honest. This business is in shambles; own up to your mistakes and fix them by learning the business. That means bringing in people who actually know what they're doing. I know that's weird coming from a new kid but I am more than willing to admit inexperience is hurting Heinz.

Unclear of strategy and future - still feeling the affects of too much change at once

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New culture is definitely willing to take risk & change. The pendulum has definitely swung from the old Heinz that was a bit too conservative and slow with it's decision making process & layers of approval. Obviously this can be a good thing if used wisely - unfortunately this new trait has been Management's downfall as well.

Cons

Could write several pages on the ways their arrogance and forcefulness to take risk & drive change has also lead to extremely poor culture and work environment. Too many new people starting and no one is left to do the teaching - I agree you need new blood, fresh ideas, but some fundamental transfer knowledge has to occur in order to build momentum the right way. Management has ignored this and as a result has felt the pain. Departments like Supply Chain, Finance and Marketing are at the brunt of this transition and continue to see chaos, long hours, unreasonable demands put upon them with the number of people with institutional knowledge leaving each day. Also - the new people become frustrated because there is chaos (lack of leadership / direction) and it's expected that you will work 60+ hours a week just to stay afloat (on meaningless detail to keep this micromanaged).

Think about your culture more - you are coming up with a lot of window dressing to make folks think it's a good environment to work in - but trust is your biggest issue. Things like your Meritocracy message is a joke, people see thru this. Certain areas are getting hammered with unclear direction - Supply Chain, Finance - constant change of course and new ways of working that are simply being drilled down to the rank & file to follow and change daily, which only results in them reinventing their job each day & becoming frustrated with all the new process changes & demands being put on them. Not to mention there is no forgiveness for having a lack of resources....the expectation is get it done (even if 1/2 of your department is gone).

Challenging and Exciting Environment

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

Huge opportunity as a young person. They will give you a chance. There is so much to learn and it is so fast-paced and challenging. I love it here.

Cons

Still working on building morale. Changes scare some, but it is really

New Culture Rocks

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coolest place in Pittsburgh to work.

Cons

Not everyone likes the hours and open ofice.

Give a few more perks to empoyees

Bad Environment, Even Worse Career Move

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's really hard to think of any pros. If there are any, they will soon be taken away. At the end of this year they are taking away the employee parking lot for us employees downtown. Can't wait to spend more money on parking to work at this place!

Cons

Another retailer just dropped one of our to brands due to poor service levels. This is becoming a frequent occurrence and the organization has just become numb to this type of news.

Just please get it over with. Get your return on gutting this company and go.

Moving forward

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of people working very hard to take this company to the next level. We have great brands and a lot of new perspectives in this organization.

Cons

Uncertainty. Change. Negativity. We are not yet all on the same page globally.

Be honest, transparent and trust your people. Share the specifics of the vision broadly.

Brazilian leaders don't listen

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

None anymore since 3G bought the company

Cons

Opinions - not wanted unless you are brazilan

Sell the company as soon as you can.

Who needs benefits or a work/life balance when you have a Battle Cry?

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heinz remains an iconic brand whose flagship product is the gold standard against which other ketchups are judged. Historically, it was a CPG company that fought above its weight-class, largely due to the people who drove quality and innovation. It was an exciting company that was able to attract top industry talent.

Cons

3G has successfully devolved a fun, challenging work environment into a dystopian hell-scape that would fit into an Orwell novel. Corporate double-speak is at an all-time high, employees fear being fired constantly (while vetting out their resumes quietly to colleagues who have found work in greener pastures), and the new Heinz Battle Cry ™ is bleated in every meeting to rouse the workers into accepting the Exciting New Culture ™ and striving towards Meritocracy ™ while they watch helplessly as their paychecks are whittled away by disappearing benefits and their work/life balance is imploded by the new reality of the hours they must spend at work.

3G/Berkshire Hathaway have essentially taken a lean public company, taken it private, and saddled it with an extraordinary amount of debt with no clear path to repayment. The cost cutting measures – the savings in electricity from the lack of office mini-fridges, the reams of paper saved with copier lockdowns, the high tenure/high pay employees replaced by low-cost temps, the factory closures – aren’t enough. The renegotiating of freight contracts backfired when the freight companies simply stopped moving Heinz’s products from the distribution centers to the customers. The change in payment terms to vendors backfired when the vendors simply stopped providing the goods and services and sent Heinz to third-party collections. The deep cuts to R&D and marketing have backfired in the form of lower sales and customers leaving Heinz for competitors. The employee layoffs and voluntary resignation program have backfired: employees with experience and a true love of Heinz have left (many have gone to competitors), and they have been replaced by the young, the inexperienced, and the cheap. And replacing the executives with cronies from Brazil has backfired – they don’t understand why, for example, Heinz would make a lot of gravy before the month of November.

The current state of Heinz is this: as another review eloquently stated, employees have gone from being an asset to a cost. 3G will squeeze every cent they can from an employee, and once they are used up, they toss them out and hire a new one. Entire levels have been removed from the organization, but none of the work has been removed. This means that employees are working ten, eleven, or twelve hour days every day. They are working evenings, early mornings, weekends, and holidays. The work they are doing is not value-added – it’s busy-work and double work because the systems that 3G have implemented are terrible and broken. Employees are no longer given goals or performance reviews; instead, meritocracy states that good ideas and hard work will get you promoted. However, if all you are doing every day is updating a daily dashboard and pleading with irate vendors to not cut off service, you have no time to innovate or improve systems. Further, because of the overwhelming workload, you can’t rely on your manager to help and you can’t rely on your cross-functional team to help. Despite the unifying efforts of the Heinz Battle Cry ™, morale is at an all-time low and teamwork is a joke.

Many of the positive reviews here (allegedly company-planted) use buzzwords praising the new young culture that embraces change. It is insulting to have it stated that the reason people are disgruntled is because they cannot deal with the changes. Heinz existed for well over a hundred years before 3G and their ilk came in, and the company passed its centennial mark because of employees’ ability to embrace change and be innovative thinkers. I believe that most of the positive reviews are company-planted since they are as tone-deaf as anything coming out of the Heinz Human Resources department lately. The company can continue buying into their buzzwords – the exciting culture, the meritocracy – but they do so at their own peril. Ignoring the real problems they are facing on all fronts – with their employees, with their vendors, and (most importantly) with their customers – will be Heinz’ downfall, and all the battle cry yelling won’t help.

There is no advice that Heinz will take from me. I would only hope that 3G and Berkshire Hathaway finish up their project quickly. No one likes to see a beloved company in its long, inevitable march to the grave. Sell the assets, sell the brands, sell the furniture, make your profit, and move on to the next victim (sorry Tim Horton’s – loved your TimBits).

Great in the beginning and most of my career there, terrible towards the end.

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work with many different groups of people; promotions for some people; HGPS when upper management cared about it; Employee trainings

Cons

Endless conference calls and web meetings; Employee engagement efforts all cancelled due to cost; Terrible work-life balance towards the end of my career there; Many cuts in benefits and retirement after sale of company; Morale was at all time low when I left.

Micro-managing needs to stop; there's more to a company than cutting costs