Heinz

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.1

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 33 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great young environment

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bright, young hard working employees

Cons

work life balance can be challenging for some.

Reward employees

Good people, crappy management!

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Work is good and steady!

Cons

What a joke! From HR down to supervisors! Favoritism is crazy and if you have an issue that needs taken care of especially up in HR, you better take care of it yourself! They talk to you like your an idiot, no respect and that's if you can get a hold of them because they DONT answer the phones or call you back! They tell every bodies business to anybody! Everybody knows your business before you punch in! Very unprofessional management!!!

Get NEW management!!!!

Promising

Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Food Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm young and just starting out in the industry. Heinz gave me a chance.

There is no where to go but up.

Cons

Everything. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. No....no I'm not.

This company is a mess. We are dropping customers like flies because leadership (I'm looking at you Brazilians) don't understand how this business works.

Morale is at an all time low. I got to experience a little bit of the old culture before the mass chaos. People honestly loved their jobs. When I started, I was eager to learn as much as I could and I saw myself staying with Heinz for quite a while. That isn't the case any longer. The only reason I haven't left yet is because I can't. I'm putting in my time to as my boss says "put Heinz on the resume" and then I'm gone. This place is ridiculous. I love my job but the so called "culture" and upper management disgust me.

Drop Heinz like a hot potato. You'll be doing everyone a favor. Go ruin Tim Hortons. When your policies become jokes between employees, customers and suppliers, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!!

If you're willing to listen....the best advice I can give you is be honest. This business is in shambles; own up to your mistakes and fix them by learning the business. That means bringing in people who actually know what they're doing. I know that's weird coming from a new kid but I am more than willing to admit inexperience is hurting Heinz.

My experience at Heinz was very undesirable.

Former Employee - Scale Technician in Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - Scale Technician in Pocatello, ID

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason I liked working there was my schedule. I had to work early in the morning, which I hated, but I absolutely loved getting off in the early afternoon.

Cons

I loved the people I worked with on my team, but the managers and upper management made it almost impossible to have a happy environment. People were not treated with very much respect. There was very harsh criticism all the time. Everybody was afraid to say anything, but it happened all the time.

Listen, listen, listen, listen. I forgot to say listen. Many employees have bright ideas. Reward individuals, not just factories. Although it is important to make money and work hard, it is not everything. Happy employees are better employees. They work harder and thus you make more money. Treat the employees better.

Losing good people to bad leadership.

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're willing to work 80 hour weeks and you're political you can rise up quickly here.

Cons

As the CEO reminds us at every talk he gives "If you want a work-life balance, Heinz is not the company for you." It's sad to see them draining the quality out of the brands to increase short term profits, at the expense of long term reputation.

Cancer and Tumors grow. Contrary to every leadership speech here: "Growth" is not a corporate value.

Treating people like they're replaceable and their quality of life doesn't matter will continue to lead your best to leave. You'll only be left with employees who feel like they don't have other options elsewhere.

R.M.S. Titanic...Fremont

Current Employee - Operator in Fremont, OH
    Current Employee - Operator in Fremont, OH

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The wages are decent, benefits are good (for now), vacation and personal days are ok. Not much else to say that's good.

Cons

Work/family balance is poor at best. Hourly employees work 12 hours constantly. Job cuts have forced employees to work much harder, yet are constantly pushed to improve numbers. The Maintainence department is run into the ground by not only 12 hour shifts but by being forced to work weekends every week. They don't have parts to fix and maintain machines properly, so they are forced to "band-aid" the problem instead of actually being able to fix it. Safety is shoved down out throats with pointless, repetetive meetings required by OSHA, and yet this factory will run equiptment that doesn't have proper lockouts and non functioning safety mechanisms because they need the product.
    Since 3G and Bernardo have taken over, this company has literally gone into a downward spiral. We have lost customers. There is absolutely no communication, Information is not being relayed to anyone about the new products we have been running. They came in and fired a lot of experienced supervisors, so now what we have is a lot of young, and or totally inexperienced people, some without any real qualifications attempting to run this place. The supervisors, and leads don't have a clue what is going on most of the time. So we as operators are left to guess if we are running products correctly. SAP has been an absolute joke, as we seem to run out of materials, sometimes several times a week. Moral is incredibly low with the hourly employees...at least the one's who can read the writing on the wall... When the plant manager and H.R. manager bail ship...that's a sign, and you better have a life boat ready.

Management IS the problem and I only forsee it getting worse. Besides they don't listen to peons like us...the one's that actually run this plant!

It was my passion and second family... till 3G.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are allowed to work all the OT you want and even gain an extra job title thru "merit"...

Cons

Don't expect a pay raise or bonus to follow for all the work you applied.

Spent MANY years working for Heinz.. working hard and long hours was normal.. but then again so was acknowledgement from Pittsburgh that you existed both in pay and in comment. If you want to keep LONG TIME employees from quitting.. stop importing empty college degrees to back fill and push out your core and respect the talent and knowledge base you paid for. Not thinking that will happen so my advice is to find a new buyer before you reduced this once great sports car into a truck on blocks in the front yard (ie barely worth scrap price).

was not impressed after the new owner took place.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Old Heinz with old people are good.

Cons

New owner don't focus on sales but instead of that try to cut cost to make "Profits". Company don't value and appreciate employees. HR is very unprofessional, slows, don't take your concern seriously, and spent most of the company money for unnecessary spends. I think lots of people leave because HR is not very helpful and not supporting employees, instead, HR is supporting new Management team to fight on us, not fight for us. In general, Lack of communications between department and from Top Management levels, no goals, no plan with the same level of expectation, no proper training to provide to employees and expect us to learn everything by ourselves, works life balance is real bad probably 10-12 hrs a day. You probably make more money if you are hourly employees. Promotions never happen except if the boss like you, not because you work hard. Hang in there!

They don't need out advice.

Who needs benefits or a work/life balance when you have a Battle Cry?

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heinz remains an iconic brand whose flagship product is the gold standard against which other ketchups are judged. Historically, it was a CPG company that fought above its weight-class, largely due to the people who drove quality and innovation. It was an exciting company that was able to attract top industry talent.

Cons

3G has successfully devolved a fun, challenging work environment into a dystopian hell-scape that would fit into an Orwell novel. Corporate double-speak is at an all-time high, employees fear being fired constantly (while vetting out their resumes quietly to colleagues who have found work in greener pastures), and the new Heinz Battle Cry ™ is bleated in every meeting to rouse the workers into accepting the Exciting New Culture ™ and striving towards Meritocracy ™ while they watch helplessly as their paychecks are whittled away by disappearing benefits and their work/life balance is imploded by the new reality of the hours they must spend at work.

3G/Berkshire Hathaway have essentially taken a lean public company, taken it private, and saddled it with an extraordinary amount of debt with no clear path to repayment. The cost cutting measures – the savings in electricity from the lack of office mini-fridges, the reams of paper saved with copier lockdowns, the high tenure/high pay employees replaced by low-cost temps, the factory closures – aren’t enough. The renegotiating of freight contracts backfired when the freight companies simply stopped moving Heinz’s products from the distribution centers to the customers. The change in payment terms to vendors backfired when the vendors simply stopped providing the goods and services and sent Heinz to third-party collections. The deep cuts to R&D and marketing have backfired in the form of lower sales and customers leaving Heinz for competitors. The employee layoffs and voluntary resignation program have backfired: employees with experience and a true love of Heinz have left (many have gone to competitors), and they have been replaced by the young, the inexperienced, and the cheap. And replacing the executives with cronies from Brazil has backfired – they don’t understand why, for example, Heinz would make a lot of gravy before the month of November.

The current state of Heinz is this: as another review eloquently stated, employees have gone from being an asset to a cost. 3G will squeeze every cent they can from an employee, and once they are used up, they toss them out and hire a new one. Entire levels have been removed from the organization, but none of the work has been removed. This means that employees are working ten, eleven, or twelve hour days every day. They are working evenings, early mornings, weekends, and holidays. The work they are doing is not value-added – it’s busy-work and double work because the systems that 3G have implemented are terrible and broken. Employees are no longer given goals or performance reviews; instead, meritocracy states that good ideas and hard work will get you promoted. However, if all you are doing every day is updating a daily dashboard and pleading with irate vendors to not cut off service, you have no time to innovate or improve systems. Further, because of the overwhelming workload, you can’t rely on your manager to help and you can’t rely on your cross-functional team to help. Despite the unifying efforts of the Heinz Battle Cry ™, morale is at an all-time low and teamwork is a joke.

Many of the positive reviews here (allegedly company-planted) use buzzwords praising the new young culture that embraces change. It is insulting to have it stated that the reason people are disgruntled is because they cannot deal with the changes. Heinz existed for well over a hundred years before 3G and their ilk came in, and the company passed its centennial mark because of employees’ ability to embrace change and be innovative thinkers. I believe that most of the positive reviews are company-planted since they are as tone-deaf as anything coming out of the Heinz Human Resources department lately. The company can continue buying into their buzzwords – the exciting culture, the meritocracy – but they do so at their own peril. Ignoring the real problems they are facing on all fronts – with their employees, with their vendors, and (most importantly) with their customers – will be Heinz’ downfall, and all the battle cry yelling won’t help.

There is no advice that Heinz will take from me. I would only hope that 3G and Berkshire Hathaway finish up their project quickly. No one likes to see a beloved company in its long, inevitable march to the grave. Sell the assets, sell the brands, sell the furniture, make your profit, and move on to the next victim (sorry Tim Horton’s – loved your TimBits).

Unclear of strategy and future - still feeling the affects of too much change at once

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New culture is definitely willing to take risk & change. The pendulum has definitely swung from the old Heinz that was a bit too conservative and slow with it's decision making process & layers of approval. Obviously this can be a good thing if used wisely - unfortunately this new trait has been Management's downfall as well.

Cons

Could write several pages on the ways their arrogance and forcefulness to take risk & drive change has also lead to extremely poor culture and work environment. Too many new people starting and no one is left to do the teaching - I agree you need new blood, fresh ideas, but some fundamental transfer knowledge has to occur in order to build momentum the right way. Management has ignored this and as a result has felt the pain. Departments like Supply Chain, Finance and Marketing are at the brunt of this transition and continue to see chaos, long hours, unreasonable demands put upon them with the number of people with institutional knowledge leaving each day. Also - the new people become frustrated because there is chaos (lack of leadership / direction) and it's expected that you will work 60+ hours a week just to stay afloat (on meaningless detail to keep this micromanaged).

Think about your culture more - you are coming up with a lot of window dressing to make folks think it's a good environment to work in - but trust is your biggest issue. Things like your Meritocracy message is a joke, people see thru this. Certain areas are getting hammered with unclear direction - Supply Chain, Finance - constant change of course and new ways of working that are simply being drilled down to the rank & file to follow and change daily, which only results in them reinventing their job each day & becoming frustrated with all the new process changes & demands being put on them. Not to mention there is no forgiveness for having a lack of resources....the expectation is get it done (even if 1/2 of your department is gone).