Heinz

www.heinz.com

Heinz Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz (in 26 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging but learned lot!

Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsQuick promotions
    Huge bonus
    cool downtown Pittsburgh office
    Ambition is rewarded if backed by results
    Saw the company transform completely in two years from a good place to work to very competitive
    I learned a lot in my two years here. However I was a unique case and the company is no longer marketing centric.

ConsPrivate equity owned
    Arbitrary decisions
    Management plays favorites
    Expected to work very long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementFind employees willingly to work long hours and be on the job 24/7. Needs to be more communication about organizational changes.

For driven people who want to be on a winning team

Associate Director (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHeinz is known around the world, and it's a great honor and responsibility to represent this company. The new leadership is laser focused on building a progessive culture and competitive future, but I've been impressed by how respectful they are of the Company's rich history and enduring values, like quality and innovation. Coming from a creative background, working at Heinz today has been like going to business school, learning from two companies (3G and Berkshire Hathaway) with unquestionable methodologies and results. I've been encouraged by the spirit of collaboration and talent here across functions, business units, and time zones (another valuable piece of the experience is the global nature of the work). It's also extremely energizing to work for a company with a strong commitment to CSR, including a visionary Foundation with a clear and relevant mission (enthusiastically supported by the CEO) of helping to end hunger worldwide.

ConsThe biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz. People here work very hard, which sometimes includes long hours. But this is part of the package and the payoff is competitive compensation, excellent bonus potential, and the excitement that comes with working to make Heinz a game changer in the industry. I personally hate when people expect to show up at work and be coddled. Heinz is a driven culture for people who want to win and are willing to put the work in. If you want to work for an average company, earn an average salary, and go home at an average time, better to work somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate how exciting our future is, how important our history is, and how today's employees are instrumental to achieving the Company's goals.

WAS a great compny

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities for those who applies themselves

ConsJobs were sometimes monotonousshould have kept the Pocatello shining factory open

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing

Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThere are none anymore. A shell of the once great company that Henry Heinz built.

ConsWent from a collaborative culture where the customer comes first to a cutthroat, cost driven company. There is no team anymore. All the talent was laid off, has left or is looking to leave. People being promoted into manager, director positions in order to keep them from leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to someone who will run it right

Fabulous company--great leaders

Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat culture and amazing leaders.

ConsPeople often do not like open work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the positive work.

From Great Career Choice to Major Disappointment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs a Pittsburgh native and having had the opportunity to join the iconic company in the 2000's, I honestly believed that this would be a career choice that I would relish through the 2nd half of my career. For the first 8 years, I would say it was everything I expected and more: great brands, strong leadership, and a family-like atmosphere, but the 180 degree change in culture driven by the 3G/Berkshire Hathaway acquisition forever tarnished a once proud company and stripped away what made it great.

There is a silver lining to every tragic tale, so you do have to identify a few positive areas for the current state of Heinz.

1. For individuals that wish to enter the CPG industry, there are many positions to choose from across the US as seen by the sheer number of positions currently posted on Glassdoor.
    2. For those that seek rapid career advancement and compensation gains, there will be opportunities if you 3. wholeheartedly embrace the all work & no personal life balance espoused by the senior leadership team. Employees have ample opportunity to interact with their co-workers with the recent implementation of in an open office work environment.

ConsWhile there may be many opportunities at Heinz, any individual that joins the organization with a limited industry knowledge may be setting themselves up for long-term failure. With the initial downsizing in August 2013, a much higher than anticipated voluntary severance acceptance rate in April 2014, and with continued attrition due to dissatisfaction with leadership / company direction, the number of Heinz employees that truly understand the US CPG business is dwindling. This employee turnover collectively leaves a training void for the company, as those with experience are focused on daily business emergencies and cannot devote time to foster the development of new hires. Retailers have also noticed the drastic turnover and it is clearly shaking their confidence in Heinz as a business partner.

It is also evident that the best candidates for open positions are not always being considered, as senior level positions are now being filled with individuals whose resumes are short on experience but are willing to blindly accept the direction of leadership versus asking questions and challenging their thinking in a way that can deliver stronger results.

The strongest CPG companies are those that invest in true innovation and effective marketing campaigns. Neither of these areas are not considered strengths at Heinz, and there is no indication that current leadership will address as they are more poised to drain additional profit off of the current business versus finding ways to fuel growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage senior management to finally seek to understand why the company has been in a downward spiral since taking over. Read all of the negative and not the "mandated positive" reviews on Glassdoor and "hear" what current anonymous and former employees are saying, take it to heart, and find ways to address the issues versus thinking you can simply replace dissatisfied employees ,and things will get eventually get better. Pushing away top talent is a sure path to failure.

Management clearly needs to understand that not all valuable individuals are driven by the same motivations. Many folks define wealth in terms of time with family, friends, devotion to their religious beliefs, satisfaction in their efforts at work, and many other factors, not simply cash in their pockets. Seek to truly find that correct balance of motivating factors, and don't assume that the way you think is the only "right" way.

Have the CEO check his ego at the door and review his overall satisfaction rating. 19% approval is not something to be proud of. In fact, if you read the WSJ recent rankings of the worst places to work, his CEO approval rating is below any of those included in the bottom 10 companies! In addition, Heinz would have been on this list had the current number of ratings reached the benchmark of 300. Heinz is currently ranked at the bottom of all peer CPG companies (GMI, CPB, It will be hard to recruit top industry talent as long as the employee base lacks confidence in his direction.

In a publicly traded organization, profitable growth is the number one priority for shareholders, but employees benefit as many are owners through stock grants, 401K investment in company stock, etc. In the private equity world, the pockets of the few are lined with the efforts of many, with the majority of those doing the day to day grinding missing out on strong company performance. You should re-evaluate where you issue equity stakes. With those only at senior levels being included in this practice, you will continue to further alienate those most important to your success.

Actually speak "with" and not "to" employees. Communication from the current senior management across nearly every function is nearly non-existent, and when something is shared it does not come across as genuine but simply as political posturing or in some cases dictator-like. Your teams should want to follow you, not be told that they have to follow you. That is what true leadership is.

Results Driven

Associate Director (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHeinz’s leadership team has mentioned on multiple occasions that the culture they’re instilling isn’t for everyone. It’s defined by discipline, accountability and visibility. It’s less about status and tenure and more about performance against specified targets.

Leaders and managers have put a lot of effort into establishing daily, weekly and monthly business routines that help them and others understand business performance at granular levels. These routines hold people at low levels in the company accountable for their contributions, making hiding behind others difficult. And while that level of visibility and accountability can be nerve racking for some, it has provided me role clarity and focus. I’ve never had a more clear understanding of what was expected of me and what I needed to do to be rewarded than I do here at Heinz.

I’ve been impressed by Bernardo’s and the executive team’s kindness towards those who have struggled with the new culture. By any measure, the severance packages and voluntary resignation program they offered were incredibly generous and gave employees the means to transition to other opportunities.

ConsThe company faces challenges that many companies face after having gone through major cultural and structural shifts (e.g. attrition, sustained customer service) but these issues have been acknowledged and are being addressed head on.

A great place to learn and develop a career

ProsI've been working at Heinz for a few months now and love it! As a recent college graduate, I think Heinz is a great place to work and gain experience. I have meet great people, and been able to take on a multitude of projects that will enhance my career. The company values their entry-level employees, and really wants to see you succeed.

ConsTheir is a lot of change which might be overwhelming to some. Also, it is hard work, but you are challenged everyday, which presents so many opportunities to grow.

Rewarding years ago.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStable employment from brand loyalty.

ConsChanging culture and letting knowledge walk.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Fox News Review (Fair and Balanced...)

Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThere are some pros around here. There are plenty of opportunities to advance. I know multiple people who have been thrust into new and higher level positions because of all the other people leaving. Granted these people are generally less experienced and less capable than their replacements, but if you're here and can tough it out there is opportunity. There is also the unique experience to be gained of reinventing a company that has already been invented for over a century. It's a bit like Columbus "Discovering" America when the Indians were here for centuries prior. Most all of the people who actually know how to run the business are gone so it is like Groundhog day where people are reliving all of the lessons that people had learned decades ago. So basically you can feel like you've made massive breakthroughs and incredible discoveries when in fact the adults that ran this business prior to 3G already had all of these processes and procedures in place (but hey, at least you can feel good about yourself).

You also get to hang out with a lot of 20 somethings and Brazilian that really have no clue what is going on but act like they do. So if you know anything about the CPG business or business at all you can be the smartest person in the room by a light year.

ConsI really tried to stick it out and see the changes through. I've kept telling myself it would get better, it HAS to get better. Sad thing happened on the way to getting better, it has just kept getting worse. I don't think it will ever get better. All of the negatives you read on this board are true. Work life balance is terrible. I know many people with major family issues from working at this place. Anyone with a family should stay away unless you really do not like them. The new ownership is cheap beyond compare. We literally had plastic utensils taken out of the kitchens to save a couple hundred dollars a year, mangers have to buy their own supplies and hoard them because you can't get supplies without going to the supply room at the appointed hour and then signing out basics such as pens and tablets, it is truly humiliating.

That's the minor stuff... the culture is completely twisted. There is lip service to customers and being the best food company, but it stops there. It is just lip service. All focus is cutting costs at all expense and manipulation of numbers to meet artificial expectations. The strategy seems to be to cut as much as possible from the bottom line with no top line growth. They are holding on with both hands trying to get this company public to make a ton of money regardless of the desolate wasteland that they will leave. The lack of vision is almost mind boggling. We have customers pulling major promotions, holding us in breach of contract, and we even have had the US military tell us we were hurting troops and morale of the military due to our poor performance as a company. We are a ketchup company that is lucky to sell ketchup on a good day when we aren't cutting massive amounts of ketchup from customer orders. Fill rates are terrible, on time delivery is even worse, and everywhere you look we are a sinking ship.

The brilliant part of this is that you would never know it by listening to the propaganda masters at the top. They spin and tell half truths to cover actual performance. Then they beat on lower level employees to get results. Unfortunately for the lower levels, they don't have ANY idea what they should be doing so they just try their best to get things done, but it's never enough or even directionally correct. We have people across the organization all with their own agendas trying to do the right things, but all working against each other. The relationship between sales and supply chain is down right hostile, and the relationship between customers and Heinz is basically at a boiling point.

The other con is all the "talent" they are brining in... We let some of the best people in the CPG industry go and we have replacement them with the JV squad. We literally are brining in boat loads of people with no experience in CPG and it is showing. We have people that have run railroads, but not a single soul that knows how to run a food company. I have always been a proponent of taking the best available athlete for a position, but that only works when you are surrounded by a solid team and can grow in to that position. When you have a team of only wide receivers trying to cover all the positions including offensive line, you're going to get run over when you meet a real balanced team, and that is what we have today. A group of people with zero experience in our industry making decisions that wouldn't work in any industry let alone the food industry playing a game that they don't even know the rules. If you listen to leadership all you need is people who have the right attitude and want to work and we can excel. That may work at a railroad which is a very simple operation in comparison, but it doesn't work here, you need the blend of skill players and linemen all working together to get the team across the goal line. Right now we have a team of equipment managers, water boys, and professional table tennis players who can't even put their helmets on straight.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is none. They don't care, seriously don't care. Look at all the open positions on Glassdoor at Heinz. This isn't a growing company, we are a shrinking company. You do not have this many open positions unless the rot has grown to epic proportions which is our current state. No one in their right minds would ever let their company get to this position unless they did not care about the current or future state of the organization. They only care about making a couple of bucks at the expense of one of the greatest brands in the history of the US.

The only advice I would love to give is to Warren Buffet and his cronies... Please come to Pittsburgh and see what you've unleashed. Please talk to the people and see the damage your partners have caused. Please talk to our customers and see the embarrassment that is now Heinz. Please see all of this. Open your eyes, it is not worth the couple of dollars you are trying to make to destroy this brand. If you are really the respected business person that the public has been led to believe you are, please OPEN YOUR EYES TO THIS TRAIN WRECK AND COME IN HERE AND GET US SOME SUPPORT. The numbers you see are not accurate. Customers are leaving us. People's lives have been ruined by these people from 3G running this company. For what? This is not a company or people you want to partner with now or future deals. Unless all that is written about Warren and Berkshire is BS then go right ahead and partner with these people in the future and you will ultimately get burned.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!