Heinz

www.heinz.com

Heinz Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz (in 26 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Fabulous company--great leaders

Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat culture and amazing leaders.

ConsPeople often do not like open work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the positive work.

Results Driven

Associate Director (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHeinz’s leadership team has mentioned on multiple occasions that the culture they’re instilling isn’t for everyone. It’s defined by discipline, accountability and visibility. It’s less about status and tenure and more about performance against specified targets.

Leaders and managers have put a lot of effort into establishing daily, weekly and monthly business routines that help them and others understand business performance at granular levels. These routines hold people at low levels in the company accountable for their contributions, making hiding behind others difficult. And while that level of visibility and accountability can be nerve racking for some, it has provided me role clarity and focus. I’ve never had a more clear understanding of what was expected of me and what I needed to do to be rewarded than I do here at Heinz.

I’ve been impressed by Bernardo’s and the executive team’s kindness towards those who have struggled with the new culture. By any measure, the severance packages and voluntary resignation program they offered were incredibly generous and gave employees the means to transition to other opportunities.

ConsThe company faces challenges that many companies face after having gone through major cultural and structural shifts (e.g. attrition, sustained customer service) but these issues have been acknowledged and are being addressed head on.

For driven people who want to be on a winning team

Associate Director (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHeinz is known around the world, and it's a great honor and responsibility to represent this company. The new leadership is laser focused on building a progessive culture and competitive future, but I've been impressed by how respectful they are of the Company's rich history and enduring values, like quality and innovation. Coming from a creative background, working at Heinz today has been like going to business school, learning from two companies (3G and Berkshire Hathaway) with unquestionable methodologies and results. I've been encouraged by the spirit of collaboration and talent here across functions, business units, and time zones (another valuable piece of the experience is the global nature of the work). It's also extremely energizing to work for a company with a strong commitment to CSR, including a visionary Foundation with a clear and relevant mission (enthusiastically supported by the CEO) of helping to end hunger worldwide.

ConsThe biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz. People here work very hard, which sometimes includes long hours. But this is part of the package and the payoff is competitive compensation, excellent bonus potential, and the excitement that comes with working to make Heinz a game changer in the industry. I personally hate when people expect to show up at work and be coddled. Heinz is a driven culture for people who want to win and are willing to put the work in. If you want to work for an average company, earn an average salary, and go home at an average time, better to work somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate how exciting our future is, how important our history is, and how today's employees are instrumental to achieving the Company's goals.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to learn and develop a career

ProsI've been working at Heinz for a few months now and love it! As a recent college graduate, I think Heinz is a great place to work and gain experience. I have meet great people, and been able to take on a multitude of projects that will enhance my career. The company values their entry-level employees, and really wants to see you succeed.

ConsTheir is a lot of change which might be overwhelming to some. Also, it is hard work, but you are challenged everyday, which presents so many opportunities to grow.

Rewarding, challenging and fast paced

Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsYes the work is plentiful, but I was given a wonderful opportunity to advance quickly and have been well compensated. I have been treated very well, love my teams in both departments and feel that leadership is getting a handle on issues and putting the right people in the right positions.

ConsCommunication is lacking between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on the communication issues and things will resolve themselves much more quickly and efficiently.

Love it Here!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsMy experience with Heinz has been incredibly rewarding. So many opportunities to grow. Great team environment. Our new corporate culture is fast paced, motivating and rewarding. Each day is different and challenging. Employees are rewarded for delivering results. Transparent performance review process -- employees always know where they stand. World class leadership. The Company is committed to CSR and giving back to the community. For example, just last week all Heinz Pittsburgh employees and our Executive Leadership Team volunteered to package more than 140,000 meals for hungry children around the world.

ConsNot a con exactly, but the fast-paced culture and frequent change makes it challenging at times to keep up with everything that is happening with the business globally.

Not your typical entry-level job

Corporate Management Trainee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFor someone just starting their, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. Heinz invests in their employees and equips them with the tools to succeed. This isn't to say the work isn't hard. Expectations are high, but so are rewards. The vision and values for the company may seem like just part of a 3G takeover, but you can tell that senior management truly embody what Heinz stands for. The future of Heinz is positive and opportunities will be available for those employees looking to work hard.

ConsWork/Life Balance may seem hard. It is hard to stand out if you want to prioritize life outside of work while others around you are willing to put work first.

Heinz is not for everyone, and that is okay. The new Heinz feels like a startup where long hours are demanded, but the reward will be very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep getting people on board with the vision and look to move forward.

Amazing opportunities, ownership and meritocracy are more than just buzz words

Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsExciting opportunities for those willing to work hard, accept new challenges and embrace change. Ownership and meritocracy are more than just buzz words, you truly have the opportunity to define and grow your career here...I've seen more people promoted within the past year than I have in all previous years working at Heinz. My coworkers are the best I’ve worked with – incredibly dedicated, accountable to one another and passionate about achieving results.

ConsAs to be expected, there are pockets of employees within the organization who are unwilling to let go of the past and move forward.

Lots of opportunity for those that embrace change

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHeinz under its new ownership feels very much like a startup company. Employees are given amazing latitude to take on new areas of work and responsibility. Everything is based on meritocracy unlike the old Heinz which was driven by politics. If you perform, you get rewarded. I am young and feel there are endless opportunities for me at Heinz. Also I love the access I have to the new management team. I have had three meetings with the new CEO which was really motivating.

ConsThe company is going through a lot of change so you have to adadpt quickly. Biggest challenge for Heinz is old Heinz folks who are wedded to the past and don’t want to embrace the future. Hopefully they will all change their mindset or leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to demonstrate that you will reward those who outperform.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Best Career Decision I've Made To Date

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsOpportunities for growth are abundant. The resources needed to learn, perform, and advance are available to you for the taking. The company is very honorably transparent in its communications, and the work environment is awesome. The headquarters office has recently been renovated to create a collaborative workspace that fosters excelllent communication.

People are generally very willing to help you out and there are enough tenured employees that you can turn to with experiences to share. The factor that most attracted me to this company is not only the culture, but the emphasis on meritocracy. Those that deliver results, will be rewarded - and generously. The exposure I've had to executive leaders since I've started is unreal. I cannot say enough about my experience here at Heinz and have a very positive outlook about the company's future.

ConsThe only thing that comes to mind is some employees are resistent to change - as there are bound to be a few.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!