Heinz Reviews

Reset
2.1
Heinz CEO Bernardo Hees
Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance may seem hard (in 33 reviews)

• Cost Cutting at the Customers expense (in 15 reviews)

Great company to work for. Still opportunity to improve their marketing.

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Relatively small company, but with well-known brands (Ketchup... obviously, but also Ore-Ida, Weight Watchers Smart Ones, Classico Pasta Sauce, just to name a few). Very well respected in the community. And most importantly, great people. They do a great job of picking top talent from other top companies like P&G, Kraft, and General Mills (most companies pluck away the dead weight from these top companies... Heinz is able to lure away some of the good ones).

Cons

Pittsburgh is a tough town to adjust to. It's a great city for it's size, but most people that live there were born and raised there, so it can be tough to meet folks. Location aside, Heinz still invests very little in marketing support behind its brands as compared to the industry. It varies by brand, but if you're a marketing person, you'll likely do little marketing at Heinz. But you will get some great general management experience. Finally, Heinz is an extremely risk-averse company, testing everything to the Nth degree before making a decision. When a decision is made, it's usually a good one because it's supported with so much data. And you'll get some great research experience if you're involved in that end. But it can get frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Support your brands. Even Heinz Ketchup will one day lose relevance without marketing support. And by the time you realized you've lost relevance, it will be difficult to ever get it back.

2. Couldn't have asked for a better summer.

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

-phenomenal on the job mentoring -managers set their subordinates up for success -great people/culture

Cons

-technologically behind -limited marketing resources -general management focus overshadows good marketing

Advice to Management

Heinz products are amazing. I hadn't tried ANY of them (except Ketchup) prior to working there. Why? Because they are tremendously under-marketed. Invest in marketing.

An incredibly valuable experience

Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Internship program is designed to benefit the interns, not just the organization. GREAT resume builder. Well-paid considering the circumstances. Get to meet a lot of people and explore the non-profit industry. A lot of freedom to be creative. Enjoyed going to work every day. A decent amount of travel around Pittsburgh is involved.

Cons

Not always enough room for interns so some have to work at satellite offices. It is easy to go unnoticed because there are so many interns.

Moving in the Right Direction

Current Employee - R&D Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People (mostly) Great Opportunities at every level Awesome Brand Equity (Heinz is #1 in Customer Satisfaction) Great Location (very affordable housing in Pittsburgh) Excellent Heritage (Heinz started PURE FOOD..no fillers or additives)

Cons

Thin Work Force Quarterly Financial Focus Stagnant Compensation than last few years Still some silos between functions and global groups

Advice to Management

Go back to the founding principles of what made Heinz great. (Pure Food...no fillers or additives). Our products should be sold in Whole Foods (all of the original 57 Varities could still be sold there). We need to live the companies vision daily and benchmark against it. Adapt to the Change in Demand and sell product in new places.

Incredible Company with Incredible Opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing career opportunities -- those who deliver results will be rewarded. Great earnings potential. Collaborative global teams. Incredible brand equity. Strong leadership. Overall, a very unique opportunity to contribute to the growth of a global business, even at the most junior levels.

Cons

As is obvious given many of the other reviews on the site, there are still negative employees who refuse to accept change, though this is improving over time.

A great place to grow your career.

I have been working at Heinz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Heinz is a company with 144 years of history, but with the feel of a new startup. The sense of urgency with which employees tackle their work is inspiring to see. As a recent graduate, I can't imagine a better place to start my career. If you're looking for a job with a set career path, Heinz is probably not the right place. We are self-starters who work hard to deliver results, and it is then that we see rewards and movement througout the company.

Cons

It seems that some employees have still not fully embraced the shift in culture. This may not be the right work environment for everyone, and that's okay.

Best Career Decision I've Made To Date

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for growth are abundant. The resources needed to learn, perform, and advance are available to you for the taking. The company is very honorably transparent in its communications, and the work environment is awesome. The headquarters office has recently been renovated to create a collaborative workspace that fosters excelllent communication. People are generally very willing to help you out and there are enough tenured employees that you can turn to with experiences to share. The factor that most attracted me to this company is not only the culture, but the emphasis on meritocracy. Those that deliver results, will be rewarded - and generously. The exposure I've had to executive leaders since I've started is unreal. I cannot say enough about my experience here at Heinz and have a very positive outlook about the company's future.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is some employees are resistent to change - as there are bound to be a few.

Not your typical entry-level job

I have been working at Heinz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For someone just starting their, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. Heinz invests in their employees and equips them with the tools to succeed. This isn't to say the work isn't hard. Expectations are high, but so are rewards. The vision and values for the company may seem like just part of a 3G takeover, but you can tell that senior management truly embody what Heinz stands for. The future of Heinz is positive and opportunities will be available for those employees looking to work hard.

Cons

Work/Life Balance may seem hard. It is hard to stand out if you want to prioritize life outside of work while others around you are willing to put work first. Heinz is not for everyone, and that is okay. The new Heinz feels like a startup where long hours are demanded, but the reward will be very high.

Advice to Management

Keep getting people on board with the vision and look to move forward.

Rewarding, challenging and fast paced

Current Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Yes the work is plentiful, but I was given a wonderful opportunity to advance quickly and have been well compensated. I have been treated very well, love my teams in both departments and feel that leadership is getting a handle on issues and putting the right people in the right positions.

Cons

Communication is lacking between departments.

Advice to Management

Work on the communication issues and things will resolve themselves much more quickly and efficiently.

Results Driven

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Heinz’s leadership team has mentioned on multiple occasions that the culture they’re instilling isn’t for everyone. It’s defined by discipline, accountability and visibility. It’s less about status and tenure and more about performance against specified targets. Leaders and managers have put a lot of effort into establishing daily, weekly and monthly business routines that help them and others understand business performance at granular levels. These routines hold people at low levels in the company accountable for their contributions, making hiding behind others difficult. And while that level of visibility and accountability can be nerve racking for some, it has provided me role clarity and focus. I’ve never had a more clear understanding of what was expected of me and what I needed to do to be rewarded than I do here at Heinz. I’ve been impressed by Bernardo’s and the executive team’s kindness towards those who have struggled with the new culture. By any measure, the severance packages and voluntary resignation program they offered were incredibly generous and gave employees the means to transition to other opportunities.

Cons

The company faces challenges that many companies face after having gone through major cultural and structural shifts (e.g. attrition, sustained customer service) but these issues have been acknowledged and are being addressed head on.

RSS Feed </> Embed