Heinz

www.heinz.com

Heinz Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement(in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work(in 25 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business(in 11 reviews)

Results Driven

Associate Director (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHeinz’s leadership team has mentioned on multiple occasions that the culture they’re instilling isn’t for everyone. It’s defined by discipline, accountability and visibility. It’s less about status and tenure and more about performance against specified targets.

Leaders and managers have put a lot of effort into establishing daily, weekly and monthly business routines that help them and others understand business performance at granular levels. These routines hold people at low levels in the company accountable for their contributions, making hiding behind others difficult. And while that level of visibility and accountability can be nerve racking for some, it has provided me role clarity and focus. I’ve never had a more clear understanding of what was expected of me and what I needed to do to be rewarded than I do here at Heinz.

I’ve been impressed by Bernardo’s and the executive team’s kindness towards those who have struggled with the new culture. By any measure, the severance packages and voluntary resignation program they offered were incredibly generous and gave employees the means to transition to other opportunities.

ConsThe company faces challenges that many companies face after having gone through major cultural and structural shifts (e.g. attrition, sustained customer service) but these issues have been acknowledged and are being addressed head on.

For driven people who want to be on a winning team

Associate Director (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHeinz is known around the world, and it's a great honor and responsibility to represent this company. The new leadership is laser focused on building a progessive culture and competitive future, but I've been impressed by how respectful they are of the Company's rich history and enduring values, like quality and innovation. Coming from a creative background, working at Heinz today has been like going to business school, learning from two companies (3G and Berkshire Hathaway) with unquestionable methodologies and results. I've been encouraged by the spirit of collaboration and talent here across functions, business units, and time zones (another valuable piece of the experience is the global nature of the work). It's also extremely energizing to work for a company with a strong commitment to CSR, including a visionary Foundation with a clear and relevant mission (enthusiastically supported by the CEO) of helping to end hunger worldwide.

ConsThe biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz. People here work very hard, which sometimes includes long hours. But this is part of the package and the payoff is competitive compensation, excellent bonus potential, and the excitement that comes with working to make Heinz a game changer in the industry. I personally hate when people expect to show up at work and be coddled. Heinz is a driven culture for people who want to win and are willing to put the work in. If you want to work for an average company, earn an average salary, and go home at an average time, better to work somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate how exciting our future is, how important our history is, and how today's employees are instrumental to achieving the Company's goals.

Overall Experience was Good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscompany works on ethics and Products qualities are really good for the consumer

ConsThe respect of the sales person are not there, Specially the ex-employee do not get response from the management. The settlement are never been on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees.............

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not good place for women

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBrands are indestructible and survive almost everything - so far anyway.

ConsFocus on cost cutting overwhelming and at times irrational. No values or respect for people. Leadership in UK amateur.

WAS a great compny

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities for those who applies themselves

ConsJobs were sometimes monotonousshould have kept the Pocatello shining factory open

Fox News Review (Fair and Balanced...)

Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThere are some pros around here. There are plenty of opportunities to advance. I know multiple people who have been thrust into new and higher level positions because of all the other people leaving. Granted these people are generally less experienced and less capable than their replacements, but if you're here and can tough it out there is opportunity. There is also the unique experience to be gained of reinventing a company that has already been invented for over a century. It's a bit like Columbus "Discovering" America when the Indians were here for centuries prior. Most all of the people who actually know how to run the business are gone so it is like Groundhog day where people are reliving all of the lessons that people had learned decades ago. So basically you can feel like you've made massive breakthroughs and incredible discoveries when in fact the adults that ran this business prior to 3G already had all of these processes and procedures in place (but hey, at least you can feel good about yourself).

You also get to hang out with a lot of 20 somethings and Brazilian that really have no clue what is going on but act like they do. So if you know anything about the CPG business or business at all you can be the smartest person in the room by a light year.

ConsI really tried to stick it out and see the changes through. I've kept telling myself it would get better, it HAS to get better. Sad thing happened on the way to getting better, it has just kept getting worse. I don't think it will ever get better. All of the negatives you read on this board are true. Work life balance is terrible. I know many people with major family issues from working at this place. Anyone with a family should stay away unless you really do not like them. The new ownership is cheap beyond compare. We literally had plastic utensils taken out of the kitchens to save a couple hundred dollars a year, mangers have to buy their own supplies and hoard them because you can't get supplies without going to the supply room at the appointed hour and then signing out basics such as pens and tablets, it is truly humiliating.

That's the minor stuff... the culture is completely twisted. There is lip service to customers and being the best food company, but it stops there. It is just lip service. All focus is cutting costs at all expense and manipulation of numbers to meet artificial expectations. The strategy seems to be to cut as much as possible from the bottom line with no top line growth. They are holding on with both hands trying to get this company public to make a ton of money regardless of the desolate wasteland that they will leave. The lack of vision is almost mind boggling. We have customers pulling major promotions, holding us in breach of contract, and we even have had the US military tell us we were hurting troops and morale of the military due to our poor performance as a company. We are a ketchup company that is lucky to sell ketchup on a good day when we aren't cutting massive amounts of ketchup from customer orders. Fill rates are terrible, on time delivery is even worse, and everywhere you look we are a sinking ship.

The brilliant part of this is that you would never know it by listening to the propaganda masters at the top. They spin and tell half truths to cover actual performance. Then they beat on lower level employees to get results. Unfortunately for the lower levels, they don't have ANY idea what they should be doing so they just try their best to get things done, but it's never enough or even directionally correct. We have people across the organization all with their own agendas trying to do the right things, but all working against each other. The relationship between sales and supply chain is down right hostile, and the relationship between customers and Heinz is basically at a boiling point.

The other con is all the "talent" they are brining in... We let some of the best people in the CPG industry go and we have replacement them with the JV squad. We literally are brining in boat loads of people with no experience in CPG and it is showing. We have people that have run railroads, but not a single soul that knows how to run a food company. I have always been a proponent of taking the best available athlete for a position, but that only works when you are surrounded by a solid team and can grow in to that position. When you have a team of only wide receivers trying to cover all the positions including offensive line, you're going to get run over when you meet a real balanced team, and that is what we have today. A group of people with zero experience in our industry making decisions that wouldn't work in any industry let alone the food industry playing a game that they don't even know the rules. If you listen to leadership all you need is people who have the right attitude and want to work and we can excel. That may work at a railroad which is a very simple operation in comparison, but it doesn't work here, you need the blend of skill players and linemen all working together to get the team across the goal line. Right now we have a team of equipment managers, water boys, and professional table tennis players who can't even put their helmets on straight.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is none. They don't care, seriously don't care. Look at all the open positions on Glassdoor at Heinz. This isn't a growing company, we are a shrinking company. You do not have this many open positions unless the rot has grown to epic proportions which is our current state. No one in their right minds would ever let their company get to this position unless they did not care about the current or future state of the organization. They only care about making a couple of bucks at the expense of one of the greatest brands in the history of the US.

The only advice I would love to give is to Warren Buffet and his cronies... Please come to Pittsburgh and see what you've unleashed. Please talk to the people and see the damage your partners have caused. Please talk to our customers and see the embarrassment that is now Heinz. Please see all of this. Open your eyes, it is not worth the couple of dollars you are trying to make to destroy this brand. If you are really the respected business person that the public has been led to believe you are, please OPEN YOUR EYES TO THIS TRAIN WRECK AND COME IN HERE AND GET US SOME SUPPORT. The numbers you see are not accurate. Customers are leaving us. People's lives have been ruined by these people from 3G running this company. For what? This is not a company or people you want to partner with now or future deals. Unless all that is written about Warren and Berkshire is BS then go right ahead and partner with these people in the future and you will ultimately get burned.

A great place to learn and develop a career

ProsI've been working at Heinz for a few months now and love it! As a recent college graduate, I think Heinz is a great place to work and gain experience. I have meet great people, and been able to take on a multitude of projects that will enhance my career. The company values their entry-level employees, and really wants to see you succeed.

ConsTheir is a lot of change which might be overwhelming to some. Also, it is hard work, but you are challenged everyday, which presents so many opportunities to grow.

Used to be a great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility , salary, brand recognition, benefits

ConsNew management, culture, pay, work life balance

Shadow of a once great company

Anonymous (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsPaychecks don’t bounce (yet). If you hate your family you won’t have to see them much. You gain the cultural understanding of what it is like to work in a Brazilian sweatshop. You get very acquainted with your co-workers and sometimes their body odors since you are all 2 feet away from each other at essentially picnic tables. You don’t have to worry about benefits being taken away, since there aren’t any left. Since they are taking away the employee parking lot, you will have the joy of public transportation (which is divine I assure you), actually it prepares you a bit for your seating arrangement once you get to work. You have multitudes of bosses at various levels (mostly ones who have been with the company less than 6 months and have no clue what you actually do) constantly staring over your shoulder and beating you over the head to get things done yesterday. You get to be in lovely downtown Pittsburgh, which I used to list as the one con to working at Heinz, now it is the highlight.

ConsNow the bad news. Nearly all talent and knowledge has left or is in the process of leaving the company. Heinz middle management to executive management has mostly been replaced with Brazilians that know nothing about the business and brand, little about the industry and couldn’t give a crap about employees or the history of a once proud company. The new owners want to take all budgets, resources and people away from the managers to save money and then somehow demand better results. The morale at Heinz is horrible, everyone I knew either left or is trying to leave. There are a few people left that are really trying hard to believe the lies and justify to themselves that it is a good decision to stick it out. After how I saw them treat truly valuable employees that had dedicated their lives to the company those few true believers that are still left are going to be in for a rude awakening at some point. I would advise anyone looking into employment at Heinz, DON’T, at least while these owners are still in charge. I used to be proud to say that I worked at Heinz, by the time I left I just felt embarrassed to be associated with a company that could treat people so horribly. RIP Heinz.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to owners that actually care about more than how much money they can haul back to Brazil and do Pittsburgh and the employees a favor.

They implemented a voluntary resignation program.

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThey implemented a voluntary resignation program. Think about that. The employees wouldn't drink the koolaid so they had to pay people to quit so they could bring in employes that don't know the difference.

ConsIf you're job doesn't generate revenue you are a cost to the company and you will be outsourced.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!