Heinz Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.2

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz (in 26 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

One size doesn't fit all

I worked at Heinz as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was just a consultant and lucky to be out when contract is done

Cons

Never worked in old Heinz culture but heard great things about it. Joined right about when the company was taken over by 3G. Being a consultant I have see lot of companies and management but this one is UNBELIEVABLE. Couple of months into taking over, they lay off 30%, after another couple of months take out any facilities working staff have ( including cubicles, can you imagine you sit on a picnic table with people sitting either side of you at a hand waving distance and you can see pretty much everyone on the Big freaking floor) another couple of months take out plastic cups, plates etc. Don't know what else they have in line. oh btw all the employee who needs either a pen or pencil or any stationary need to go through a process so employees end up getting from home or buying rather than that hassle.

They expect you to work round the clock and have seen some folks doing it. We can see them regardless of what time we leave 9, 10PM, 8AM they are just there. I was a personnel victim of their attitude once. so whoever wants to work for them better be prepared to leave your self respect and family time at door.

3G might have a business model where they can quickly cut down people, some squeezing here and there, do some savings and put it back on the stock market which gives them profit. They came with same motto to Heinz but I don't see that plan working out. Heinz is huge company, it has a culture, company needs certain skill set, it runs on relations and reputation which 3G doesn't care. Its relations with transporters and customers are very fragile at this point which is alarming. Still they don't care. At one point pretty much everyone I know were leaving either laid off or taken voluntary or quitting for something else. These are real smart people who they cut.

Trust me anyone who is writing a positive review either hired/managed to specifically write those reviews or completely insane.

I don't give a damn about 3G and I know they don't about others opinion as well. Hope they don't ruin Heinz reputation before they dump this company.

As a consultant, my experience with HJ Heinz was great!!

I worked at Heinz as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

....HGPS best in class in terms of CI system.

Cons

...sustainability at the shop floor.

From Great Career Choice to Major Disappointment

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As a Pittsburgh native and having had the opportunity to join the iconic company in the 2000's, I honestly believed that this would be a career choice that I would relish through the 2nd half of my career. For the first 8 years, I would say it was everything I expected and more: great brands, strong leadership, and a family-like atmosphere, but the 180 degree change in culture driven by the 3G/Berkshire Hathaway acquisition forever tarnished a once proud company and stripped away what made it great.

There is a silver lining to every tragic tale, so you do have to identify a few positive areas for the current state of Heinz.

1. For individuals that wish to enter the CPG industry, there are many positions to choose from across the US as seen by the sheer number of positions currently posted on Glassdoor.
    2. For those that seek rapid career advancement and compensation gains, there will be opportunities if you 3. wholeheartedly embrace the all work & no personal life balance espoused by the senior leadership team. Employees have ample opportunity to interact with their co-workers with the recent implementation of in an open office work environment.

Cons

While there may be many opportunities at Heinz, any individual that joins the organization with a limited industry knowledge may be setting themselves up for long-term failure. With the initial downsizing in August 2013, a much higher than anticipated voluntary severance acceptance rate in April 2014, and with continued attrition due to dissatisfaction with leadership / company direction, the number of Heinz employees that truly understand the US CPG business is dwindling. This employee turnover collectively leaves a training void for the company, as those with experience are focused on daily business emergencies and cannot devote time to foster the development of new hires. Retailers have also noticed the drastic turnover and it is clearly shaking their confidence in Heinz as a business partner.

It is also evident that the best candidates for open positions are not always being considered, as senior level positions are now being filled with individuals whose resumes are short on experience but are willing to blindly accept the direction of leadership versus asking questions and challenging their thinking in a way that can deliver stronger results.

The strongest CPG companies are those that invest in true innovation and effective marketing campaigns. Neither of these areas are not considered strengths at Heinz, and there is no indication that current leadership will address as they are more poised to drain additional profit off of the current business versus finding ways to fuel growth.

I would encourage senior management to finally seek to understand why the company has been in a downward spiral since taking over. Read all of the negative and not the "mandated positive" reviews on Glassdoor and "hear" what current anonymous and former employees are saying, take it to heart, and find ways to address the issues versus thinking you can simply replace dissatisfied employees ,and things will get eventually get better. Pushing away top talent is a sure path to failure.

Management clearly needs to understand that not all valuable individuals are driven by the same motivations. Many folks define wealth in terms of time with family, friends, devotion to their religious beliefs, satisfaction in their efforts at work, and many other factors, not simply cash in their pockets. Seek to truly find that correct balance of motivating factors, and don't assume that the way you think is the only "right" way.

Have the CEO check his ego at the door and review his overall satisfaction rating. 19% approval is not something to be proud of. In fact, if you read the WSJ recent rankings of the worst places to work, his CEO approval rating is below any of those included in the bottom 10 companies! In addition, Heinz would have been on this list had the current number of ratings reached the benchmark of 300. Heinz is currently ranked at the bottom of all peer CPG companies (GMI, CPB, It will be hard to recruit top industry talent as long as the employee base lacks confidence in his direction.

In a publicly traded organization, profitable growth is the number one priority for shareholders, but employees benefit as many are owners through stock grants, 401K investment in company stock, etc. In the private equity world, the pockets of the few are lined with the efforts of many, with the majority of those doing the day to day grinding missing out on strong company performance. You should re-evaluate where you issue equity stakes. With those only at senior levels being included in this practice, you will continue to further alienate those most important to your success.

Actually speak "with" and not "to" employees. Communication from the current senior management across nearly every function is nearly non-existent, and when something is shared it does not come across as genuine but simply as political posturing or in some cases dictator-like. Your teams should want to follow you, not be told that they have to follow you. That is what true leadership is.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

executive

I worked at Heinz

Pros

brand recognition is the only upside

Cons

too many to list. like a bad movie.

I wish it were better

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Not many anymore. When I started here I was so impressed at how happy people were to be working for this iconic company. In the last year that has changed 180 degrees.

Cons

People are treated like underlings at best. The new owners have started dismantling this company bit by bit, slashing bodies everywhere. It's to the point where distributors are asking why we still work here. Customers are angry, that's putting it mildly, that we are a ketchup company and can not deliver ketchup. It's just a sad sight.

There is none because they would not listen anyway.

Fox News Review (Fair and Balanced...)

Current Employee - Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are some pros around here. There are plenty of opportunities to advance. I know multiple people who have been thrust into new and higher level positions because of all the other people leaving. Granted these people are generally less experienced and less capable than their replacements, but if you're here and can tough it out there is opportunity. There is also the unique experience to be gained of reinventing a company that has already been invented for over a century. It's a bit like Columbus "Discovering" America when the Indians were here for centuries prior. Most all of the people who actually know how to run the business are gone so it is like Groundhog day where people are reliving all of the lessons that people had learned decades ago. So basically you can feel like you've made massive breakthroughs and incredible discoveries when in fact the adults that ran this business prior to 3G already had all of these processes and procedures in place (but hey, at least you can feel good about yourself).

You also get to hang out with a lot of 20 somethings and Brazilian that really have no clue what is going on but act like they do. So if you know anything about the CPG business or business at all you can be the smartest person in the room by a light year.

Cons

I really tried to stick it out and see the changes through. I've kept telling myself it would get better, it HAS to get better. Sad thing happened on the way to getting better, it has just kept getting worse. I don't think it will ever get better. All of the negatives you read on this board are true. Work life balance is terrible. I know many people with major family issues from working at this place. Anyone with a family should stay away unless you really do not like them. The new ownership is cheap beyond compare. We literally had plastic utensils taken out of the kitchens to save a couple hundred dollars a year, mangers have to buy their own supplies and hoard them because you can't get supplies without going to the supply room at the appointed hour and then signing out basics such as pens and tablets, it is truly humiliating.

That's the minor stuff... the culture is completely twisted. There is lip service to customers and being the best food company, but it stops there. It is just lip service. All focus is cutting costs at all expense and manipulation of numbers to meet artificial expectations. The strategy seems to be to cut as much as possible from the bottom line with no top line growth. They are holding on with both hands trying to get this company public to make a ton of money regardless of the desolate wasteland that they will leave. The lack of vision is almost mind boggling. We have customers pulling major promotions, holding us in breach of contract, and we even have had the US military tell us we were hurting troops and morale of the military due to our poor performance as a company. We are a ketchup company that is lucky to sell ketchup on a good day when we aren't cutting massive amounts of ketchup from customer orders. Fill rates are terrible, on time delivery is even worse, and everywhere you look we are a sinking ship.

The brilliant part of this is that you would never know it by listening to the propaganda masters at the top. They spin and tell half truths to cover actual performance. Then they beat on lower level employees to get results. Unfortunately for the lower levels, they don't have ANY idea what they should be doing so they just try their best to get things done, but it's never enough or even directionally correct. We have people across the organization all with their own agendas trying to do the right things, but all working against each other. The relationship between sales and supply chain is down right hostile, and the relationship between customers and Heinz is basically at a boiling point.

The other con is all the "talent" they are brining in... We let some of the best people in the CPG industry go and we have replacement them with the JV squad. We literally are brining in boat loads of people with no experience in CPG and it is showing. We have people that have run railroads, but not a single soul that knows how to run a food company. I have always been a proponent of taking the best available athlete for a position, but that only works when you are surrounded by a solid team and can grow in to that position. When you have a team of only wide receivers trying to cover all the positions including offensive line, you're going to get run over when you meet a real balanced team, and that is what we have today. A group of people with zero experience in our industry making decisions that wouldn't work in any industry let alone the food industry playing a game that they don't even know the rules. If you listen to leadership all you need is people who have the right attitude and want to work and we can excel. That may work at a railroad which is a very simple operation in comparison, but it doesn't work here, you need the blend of skill players and linemen all working together to get the team across the goal line. Right now we have a team of equipment managers, water boys, and professional table tennis players who can't even put their helmets on straight.

There is none. They don't care, seriously don't care. Look at all the open positions on Glassdoor at Heinz. This isn't a growing company, we are a shrinking company. You do not have this many open positions unless the rot has grown to epic proportions which is our current state. No one in their right minds would ever let their company get to this position unless they did not care about the current or future state of the organization. They only care about making a couple of bucks at the expense of one of the greatest brands in the history of the US.

The only advice I would love to give is to Warren Buffet and his cronies... Please come to Pittsburgh and see what you've unleashed. Please talk to the people and see the damage your partners have caused. Please talk to our customers and see the embarrassment that is now Heinz. Please see all of this. Open your eyes, it is not worth the couple of dollars you are trying to make to destroy this brand. If you are really the respected business person that the public has been led to believe you are, please OPEN YOUR EYES TO THIS TRAIN WRECK AND COME IN HERE AND GET US SOME SUPPORT. The numbers you see are not accurate. Customers are leaving us. People's lives have been ruined by these people from 3G running this company. For what? This is not a company or people you want to partner with now or future deals. Unless all that is written about Warren and Berkshire is BS then go right ahead and partner with these people in the future and you will ultimately get burned.

They implemented a voluntary resignation program.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They implemented a voluntary resignation program. Think about that. The employees wouldn't drink the koolaid so they had to pay people to quit so they could bring in employes that don't know the difference.

Cons

If you're job doesn't generate revenue you are a cost to the company and you will be outsourced.

Shadow of a once great company

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Paychecks don’t bounce (yet). If you hate your family you won’t have to see them much. You gain the cultural understanding of what it is like to work in a Brazilian sweatshop. You get very acquainted with your co-workers and sometimes their body odors since you are all 2 feet away from each other at essentially picnic tables. You don’t have to worry about benefits being taken away, since there aren’t any left. Since they are taking away the employee parking lot, you will have the joy of public transportation (which is divine I assure you), actually it prepares you a bit for your seating arrangement once you get to work. You have multitudes of bosses at various levels (mostly ones who have been with the company less than 6 months and have no clue what you actually do) constantly staring over your shoulder and beating you over the head to get things done yesterday. You get to be in lovely downtown Pittsburgh, which I used to list as the one con to working at Heinz, now it is the highlight.

Cons

Now the bad news. Nearly all talent and knowledge has left or is in the process of leaving the company. Heinz middle management to executive management has mostly been replaced with Brazilians that know nothing about the business and brand, little about the industry and couldn’t give a crap about employees or the history of a once proud company. The new owners want to take all budgets, resources and people away from the managers to save money and then somehow demand better results. The morale at Heinz is horrible, everyone I knew either left or is trying to leave. There are a few people left that are really trying hard to believe the lies and justify to themselves that it is a good decision to stick it out. After how I saw them treat truly valuable employees that had dedicated their lives to the company those few true believers that are still left are going to be in for a rude awakening at some point. I would advise anyone looking into employment at Heinz, DON’T, at least while these owners are still in charge. I used to be proud to say that I worked at Heinz, by the time I left I just felt embarrassed to be associated with a company that could treat people so horribly. RIP Heinz.

Sell to owners that actually care about more than how much money they can haul back to Brazil and do Pittsburgh and the employees a favor.

Used to be a great place to work

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Continuously challenging; those who are still around are great employees who really care about the business and continue to work hard despite the current restraints. Promises of larger compensation, but few believe this promise will be honored.

Cons

No work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day. Huge staff reductions to an already lean business, responsibility and project increases are weekly. Expectations of huge results with unrealistic timelines, and also without the supplies and equipment needed to implement the project requests. Most people do the job of 3 or more employees as they are not filling management or supervisor positions of those who left the company. Budget reductions to the point where people have to purchase their own basic supplies, such as highlighters and notepads.

Stop with the slogans. It is not helping the company. All those with knowledge were either let go or have left the business, so start learning about the products and way of life outside the corporate office walls.

Used to be a good place to work

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Technologist  in  Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Technologist in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Expirience and looks good on a resume

Cons

Less and less opportuinities available for advancment

If they dont change their approach to employment pretty soon all knowledgable employees will end up leaving

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!