Heinz

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.0

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 33 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Better, stronger, faster.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ownership, accountability, leaders willing to take risk, if you stick around, you'll get promoted by default, the younger you are - the more likely you will be able to keep up with the changes and pace, being 6 months in a role can make you the most senior person on a team.

Cons

Lack of CPG knowledge, executing technology platform changes without the proper up front work (SAP was a nightmare and still is), increased workload for everyone given lay offs and struggling to hire talent, poor/no retention tactics, your ideas aren't appreciated - only following orders as questions aren't encouraged unless you want to look like someone who is not supportive, promotions with title and responsibility increases, but no matching compensation increase, staying in hotels that you would not stay on your own dime in fear of your safety given the rate caps

Heinz needs to acquire healthier brands and understand the future landscape of the CPG industry. Their participation in declining categories (both in terms of consumption and households) is not the recipe of success. When this company goes public again, the accounting tricks and horrible comp year will be smoke and mirrors on the balance sheet as the cost cutting is not sustainable.

Also, use the pronoun "she" versus "he" ALWAYS. The majority of 3G employees now Heinz are Brazilian men and they have a hard time acknowledging women in the workplace.

More heart breaking than a World Cup semi final loss

Former Employee - Marketing in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great place to switch careers. Know nothing about CPG? Great, come on over.

You like multi-tasking? Great, you can have the five jobs of your colleagues who just left

You want to save on rent – rent an apartment on an hourly rate, you only need to be home 2 hours a day

You want to learn another language? Have a go at Brazinglish.

Cons

Translation from Portuguese to English is often confusing and frequently disappoints – ‘Nepotism’ in Portuguese translates as ‘Meritocracy’ in English.

It really is a dream job if you’re from Brazil or another South American country, move HQ to Rio and rename Maracana Stadium Heinz field.

Challenging but learned lot!

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quick promotions
    Huge bonus
    cool downtown Pittsburgh office
    Ambition is rewarded if backed by results
    Saw the company transform completely in two years from a good place to work to very competitive
    I learned a lot in my two years here. However I was a unique case and the company is no longer marketing centric.

Cons

Private equity owned
    Arbitrary decisions
    Management plays favorites
    Expected to work very long hours

Find employees willingly to work long hours and be on the job 24/7. Needs to be more communication about organizational changes.

used to be good place

I worked at Heinz

Pros

There are not to many anymore.

Cons

They don't care about there employees other then if you don't like it find another place to work.

none

It was a group of mostly personable people and a valuable learning experience

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was an enjoyable corporate environment as well as very professional. A few of my co-workers became some of my good friends during my time there. The many things I learned during my time allowed me for much personal growth.

Cons

There were some things about the company that were very rigid. There also wasn't very much room for promotion or growth within the company.

I would recommend that they continue growing their business with their core beliefs in mind because that is what had driven the company to where it is today.

Progressive.

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

The opportunities that are available

Cons

very poor work life balance

Who are these people???

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The old Heinz was like a family - it definitely had its issues and problems, but we all loved working there. You can see from the real posts on here how much people cared about that place and its brands. It is amazing to me, now working at a new company (which is also very highly respected), how good Heinz was at what we did and how well run the company was. This new Heinz is an embarassment to all the hardworking people that made the old Heinz what it was.

Cons

It is unbelieveable to me how little these people know about running a company, let alone a CPG company. They basically fired anyone who knew how to run the company and hired minions to run their errands or meaningless reports and calls. There is definitely some questionable actions taking place there that borders on illegal and is definitely unethical. Is this what the Heinz Board wanted for this treasured Pittsburgh proud company??? Is this what H.J. Heinz would have wanted for this family started business??? These people don't even know what Gravy is! The Chief Marketing Officer had to ask why we had so much inventory of this product in October and wanted us to shutdown the factory, yet he had no idea what the product was. We had to explain Thanksgiving to him. And he is going to help grow the company how?

They promise big salaries and bonuses, ok this may be true. Divide this big salary by the hours you are working, you would be making more per hour if you went to McDonalds. Companies HR departments are onto Heinz and their fake titles and salaries - so tread lightly when going to a new job - anything within the past year will not be considered.

Stooping to low levels such as posting fake positive reviews is sickening to me. Who would want to work for a company like this?! Not providing pens or paper for your employees to do their jobs is assanine. Is this what Warren Buffet thinks is a good business plan? I mean seriously, who are these people. This is not Brazil and cannot be run like workplaces there. This is America where we have options, we don't need to wear uniforms to work, and we place more value on ourselves than to be beaten down and told we should feel lucky to have a job.

Keep doing what you are doing. You will tank this company and we will read about it.

New Owners, New views.

Former Employee - Production in Ontario, OR
    Former Employee - Production in Ontario, OR

I worked at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hours. The schedule can fit into every life. People, team oriented people who are willing to help and great to talk to. Union, They are union based, but currently renewing contract.

Cons

The new owners seem to not care about the employees. They are more interested in making money, streamlining the machines, and cutting staff as much as possible. They are working on contracting out many of the jobs they already have departments for, and want to completely get rid of the union.

Keep the Unions strong, show loyalty to the employees, and stop trying to cut people. Instead focus on what is needed to make the people more successful and marketing the products.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are none anymore. A shell of the once great company that Henry Heinz built.

Cons

Went from a collaborative culture where the customer comes first to a cutthroat, cost driven company. There is no team anymore. All the talent was laid off, has left or is looking to leave. People being promoted into manager, director positions in order to keep them from leaving.

Sell to someone who will run it right

Corporate management trainee

Former Employee - Corporate Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive earning potential, perhaps 5 years from today things will be better once the New management have left the company.

Cons

As a new college grad I was excited at the prospect of working for a company like Heinz, but soon after starting in the Corporate Management Trainee program, I realized the big mistake I was about to make, had I stayed with them. Zero strategic direction, these young New managers have no clue what they are doing. There are 2-3 of them who are solid and keep the other sheep in line, but that's just a disaster waiting to happen. I was jerked back and forth between 5 positions in 3 months, received no formal training of any sort, worked long hours (14 hrs/day), obviously just like many others say there is no work life balance (even though that's not an issue for me). Compounding these issues was seeing the old Heinz employees humiliated by these clueless people, to me that's not ok.

College grads: if you are considering working for Heinz, know that Heinz is not what used to be. If you are not in the inner circle, you will not advance in this company. Stay away from Heinz.

Any advice given to the current management will fall on deaf ears... Nothing will deter them, they make a lot of money and don't care about anything and anyone.