Heinz

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.1

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 31 reviews)

• No work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Disappointing

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are none anymore. A shell of the once great company that Henry Heinz built.

Cons

Went from a collaborative culture where the customer comes first to a cutthroat, cost driven company. There is no team anymore. All the talent was laid off, has left or is looking to leave. People being promoted into manager, director positions in order to keep them from leaving.

Sell to someone who will run it right

Corporate management trainee

Former Employee - Corporate Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive earning potential, perhaps 5 years from today things will be better once the New management have left the company.

Cons

As a new college grad I was excited at the prospect of working for a company like Heinz, but soon after starting in the Corporate Management Trainee program, I realized the big mistake I was about to make, had I stayed with them. Zero strategic direction, these young New managers have no clue what they are doing. There are 2-3 of them who are solid and keep the other sheep in line, but that's just a disaster waiting to happen. I was jerked back and forth between 5 positions in 3 months, received no formal training of any sort, worked long hours (14 hrs/day), obviously just like many others say there is no work life balance (even though that's not an issue for me). Compounding these issues was seeing the old Heinz employees humiliated by these clueless people, to me that's not ok.

College grads: if you are considering working for Heinz, know that Heinz is not what used to be. If you are not in the inner circle, you will not advance in this company. Stay away from Heinz.

Any advice given to the current management will fall on deaf ears... Nothing will deter them, they make a lot of money and don't care about anything and anyone.

WAS a great compny

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

Great opportunities for those who applies themselves

Cons

Jobs were sometimes monotonousshould have kept the Pocatello shining factory open

Insert buzz words or cliche title here

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is aggressively hiring due to the large amount of job openings because of extreme turnover. They care so much about their Glassdoor reviews that they are quite 'driven' to submit reviews in order to boost their ratings. Great place for college kids to get some experience before working for a legitimate organization.

Cons

Unbelievably dysfunctional and our reputation with our customers is terribly hostile. Long days spent on fixing broken processes and putting out fires instead of actually adding value. Cult like propaganda about changing the food industry, vision, values, etc. is all lip service. I'm probably obligated to mention how some people are resistant to change in this section too....yeah....that's the problem....?!

Please ACTUALLY be transparent about the performance of the organization. Sending out weekly newsletters filled with propaganda and battle cries is all smoke and mirrors. The goals are terribly confusing and individuals have no idea how they are tracking.

Beware of recent False positive reviews

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Management is finally realizing that retention is important and forcing HR and their team from Brazil to write many false positive reviews in order to attempt to attract talent -- notice all of the very recent reviews (August 2014) that are all of the sudden Positive after many, many negative reviews. They're fake. Written by HR who has had their hands forced to do so.

Cons

The Management team is doing nothing to fix the culture or attempt to run the business for growth. They're not innovating, they do not care about people and they have no vision.

Sell. You are in over your head. Basic business acumen would be beneficial as well.

I made a mistake coming here.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pittsburgh is a great town.

Cons

I don't know where to start. This company is being liquidized to line the pockets of buffet and his cronies. There will be nothing left when that are done.
    Absolute dysfunction.
    Please realize all these 5 star reviews are FAKE. They have lost all the employees and are trying to hire fresh meat to keep the lights on while they finish stripping the company.

Posting fake reviews?! Really?!

Company planted reviews are pathetic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

Before it went private and 3G began their reign of Brazilian favoritism, cost cutting ignorant to the impact to the business, and general moral ambiguity toward it's employees; Heinz was a great place to work.

Cons

Keep reading the reviews on this site. It has been documented that the new leadership has pressured it's employees to post positive reviews on here to make up for the honest posts that former employees have submitted since their departure. There are a LOT of now former employees who have left within the very recent past. Employee turnover has been astonishing for months on end now, and when you consider all of the additional details attached to that, the picture only becomes more clear.... Resignations began when 3G's tactics became clear to some people. These were the early ship jumpers and they saved themselves a lot of stress. The pace picked up for a while and for those who weren't leaving then, morale was very low; so low in fact that all of the negative talk and complaints were so apparent, leadership decided to offer a "Voluntary Resignation Program" to employees who "didn't see their vision". A much larger than anticipated number took the severance that they offered and ran. Many others chose job security. The resignations continued, even after that offer had expired... Largely inexperienced and naive employees en masse in lower level positions and "yes men" in positions of power is the result. Those two groups are the ones writing the buzz word packed, positive reviews you're seeing on this site today. Next time you start reading a review on this site and see something to the effect of "Challenging yet rewarding opportunity" or "Not for the faint of heart but the courageous of spirit!" ... think twice before submitting your application.

No point.

Avoid Like The Plague

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Pitts, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If your looking for base pay with high expectations and little to no job security look no further.

Cons

I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of some aspect of the newly Brazilian Heinz that isn't a con.

Employees are not disposable assets. When there is no longer a recession and people can find jobs easily people will never willingly work for this company long term.

Best Thing I Ever Did Was Leave

Former Employee - Supply Chain Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Currently? Not much. It's still relatively good experience to put on your resume, but Heinz's status as a premiere company to work for is dropping fast, so that'll change.

They paid me a severance to leave back in April.

Cons

Long hours, I'm talking 12 hour days every day, plus putting in time on weekends. And that's just to keep your heard above water.

Insanely low morale - nobody really wants to be here, and it shows in people's attitudes and quality of work.

A ridiculous backlog of problems that have piled up to the point that NOBODY can fix them. You know how movie franchies get rebooted after they get REALLY bad? Like Batman & Robin was so terrible that nobody could put out a sequel, so they restarted it? That's Heinz right now - there are so many problems with inventory, service, and customer relations that it'll never get fixed, since problems keep piling up every single day. They seriously need to take a month, do absolutely NOTHING except fix problems and deliver past due orders, then start fresh again. Although I don't have much faith THAT would last long either.

To be really blunt, the company started going downhill after the mass layoffs last August. They got rid of some top talent, and backfilled with far less experienced Yes Men. Things have gotten progressively worse since then, culminating with this past April, when we were all given the option to voluntarily resign and take a severance package. A lot of us did, more than they expected I think.

Blow it all up, push it off a cliff, and start again. Your current standing with many customers is terrible, the challenges in the supply chain are too great for anyone to overcome, and any employees who are willing to work hard and try to fix things won't stick around very long with the piss-poor salaries and benefits you offer.

Be careful of reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

Prior to Feb 2013, there were plenty to list. Now, there's very little if any. Yes, advancement is very quick, but mostly because higher level employees have left the company recently. Sure, the salary and bonuses MAY be lucrative but you know what they say, 35% of zero is still zero. The company is damaging relationships with its customers and it will only be a matter of time before the unthinkable happens.

Cons

For those looking to work at this company and are reading the reviews on this site, please be careful of reviews that list the company as a great one to work for. These elaborate reviews with numerous buzzwords may be done by their HR team. I have personally witnessed several conversations with HR saying that Glass Door reviews were hurting their recruitment. However, if you have no life or family and don't mind the 18 hour work days, then perhaps this is the place for you. GOOD LUCK! It's tough to end hunger when you can't get the product out the door.

Get out before you ruin more lives