Helena Chemical Reviews

Mike McCarty

1. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Helena Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. They take good care of their employees with decent benefits and good wages. Lots of opportunity in the sales side and they promote within a lot. Many of the employees have been here for 30+ years. A few have been working since they turned 18 and have never left the company because they are so happy working for Helena.

Cons

Times are changing and because there is a huge amount of seasoned employees that are in management roles progress into new technologies and adapting to the younger generation is very slow. At the time of this review (2015) these negatives are just growing and changing pains. There is a lot of personality being a nationwide company and that can get in the way sometimes but nothing you can't work through.

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is that Helena needs to get into the 21st century in terms of available technology. Competitors are already one or two steps ahead and if Helena waits too long they'll be last to adopt and that could harm Helena more than you might think.

Good for awhile,but got worse longer i was there

Former Employee - Warehoue Loader in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Warehoue Loader in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Helena Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers were great. Benifits were good, salary was avg. Hours weren't bad. PTO wasgood and if you had the time wasn't any trouble to take

Cons

There always had to be a scape goat on any problem even if someone admitted making a mistake. Managment would not sit and talk to work out solution.

Advice to Management

Sometime look at the little problems and listen to the ones doing the work, if supervisor didn't listen employee had no where to turn.

3. Good company to work for. Very secure

I worked at Helena Chemical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co workers. Good programs in place for training and aids.

Cons

Management doesn't utilize lower management s suggestions or experience. Lots of micro management.

Hazardous work environment--bad for your health to work here.

Pros

dont work here for your health

Cons

Hazardous work environment--bad for your health to work here Even after complaining to supervisors about poor venting of air, the horrible chemical we breathe is dangerous to health

Advice to Management

fix it

6. If you are a moron, felon or have a proclivity for utter chaos, Helena Industries is for you!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Helena Chemical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have to really try to get fired here. I

Cons

Most of their line management have GEDs, so the business acumen is severely lacking. Be prepared to work hard not smart. Safety is abysmal. Most of their machinery is ancient and held together with duct tape and bubble gum. Their solution to compensate for this machinery is to throw $9 /hour employees, that could care less because they are temps, at the problem. Very few of their highest paid employees, Formulators, can or care to do their jobs correctly. Unless you are part of "chosen" you won't see anything close to the dangling carrot of a 3% yearly raise. Around 50% of their workforce speaks little to any English.

7. Construction Intern

Former Employee - Construction Intern in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Construction Intern in Fresno, CA

I worked at Helena Chemical part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture! I would work for them again.

Cons

Not a construction company so advancement is not available.

8. worked there for 10 years. new guys come in for same wage. all they care about bottom line.

Current Employee - Warehouse, Driver in Goodland, KS
    Current Employee - Warehouse, Driver in Goodland, KS

I have been working at Helena Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

they have nice equiptment.spending more on equiptment than paying wages.i run manual pallet jacks pushing 250 gal. totes around in truck;and to the back to un-load.full truck-loads of these.i did that for eight years with manual pallet jacks. I had back surgery. my shoulders hurt like hell. I know they need worked on. I wont go back.

Cons

they usually are short-handed for help.the requirements and pay suck. class a cdl,tanker, haz-mat, warehouse. same pay not much over 13 dollars. our company quit having x-mas parties. no bonuses. no advancement. your a driver, or warehouse-man.they run ad in paper; no response. word gets out what they are all-about.the insecticide smell will kill you.

Advice to Management

all you are is a able body. always in a hurry. lots of heavy lifting. I just had back surgery. several guys had shoulder surgery.all they can get is older help. young guys want more pay.never got a x-mas card, get-well card. nothing. what a sorry company.

9. Very satisfied in most areas

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Wauchula, FL
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Wauchula, FL

I have been working at Helena Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company very good to employees

Cons

Pay is low in comparison to same type of driving jobs

Advice to Management

More competitive pay

10. ive been there 11 years.drive truck,fill shuttles,run forklift,load and unload freight trucks.

Current Employee - Driver in Goodland, KS
    Current Employee - Driver in Goodland, KS

Pros

as long as your doing your job,they stay off your back.i like the driver bonus.one year no tickets,100.00 2years,200.00,3 years,300.00. 300.00 is the max.

Cons

unloading 250-265 gal shuttles,with a pallett jack. most of our customers dont have a dock. my back,shoulders hurt all the time. electric pallett jack would be nice.now we have to strap each individual shuttle to side of truck.that can be a pain.

Advice to Management

think more of your drivers.when moving shuttles.when you have 10 to unload,with manual pallett jack,it sucks. put some of management,behind manual jack,and see how difficult it really is.my back,shoulders are always hurting.have to see chiropractor,all the time,at my own expence.

11. Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at Helena Chemical part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job paid well and was able to work overtime as I desired every week.

Cons

Sometimes working too much during the summer got boring.

RSS Feed </> Embed