www.helixelectric.com

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
3.3

Gary Shekhter

Paid for Performance - think like an owner and you'll be successful.

I have been working at Helix Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You must enjoy working in a fast paced environment to work here. The executive team is approachable. To be successful you have to think like a business owner and act like one everyday. If you don't fit the profile, you will struggle in the "Helix culture." If you're programmed to think and act like an entrepreneur, you will be very successful and do well financially. I personally love the culture, the career opportunity, the core values, compensation and the people I work with. Love the financial stability and future outlook of Helix Electric!

Cons

You're responsible for creating work/life balance for yourself.

The constant problem for all organizations...communication. Be clear and concise about the strategic goals and involve everyone in the vision. Empower people.

Decent Company

I worked at Helix Electric

Pros

Pays well, plus they usually do large commerical projects.

Cons

Work can be sporadic. If current job is slow they will keep you at home until it picks up. Other companies I have previously worked for will send you to another job until the main job has pick up again.

Exciting and Fast Paced - Never a dull moment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Helix Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very fast paced organization with lots of autonomy and not a ton of red tape. "Take the bull by the horns" mentality. Lots of opportunity to grow if you have the right attitude and are willing to work hard. There are many people who are tenured and have been with the organization for 10+ years who seem very passionate about the organization. Benefits are great (best I've had so far..) and environment is friendly. President is easily accessible as are most executive team members. New wave of management taking over with a "new school" mentality. Enormous backlog.

Cons

They do have some room to grow with technology but are working hard to overcome this. Not a ton of structure which leaves room for creativity and flexibility but this might not be for everyone. With the fast paced nature, you do have pressure to perform at a high level. Especially now with how busy things are.

Continue down the path - headed in the right direction.

I do not recommend working here.

Former Employee - Corporate Office in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in San Diego, CA

I worked at Helix Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Building is nice. Benefits are okay.

Cons

I do not recommend working here. The recruiters are not very truthful in bringing you in. They focus on only the negative. No women in upper management. The attitude towards women there is a throwback to the fifties. The compensation is not comparable to other positions. High turn over rate at the corporate office.

You need to trust your employees a little more and not make them feel as if they are criminals. Also, training is helpful to all employees instead of yelling at them after they make a mistake they did not know would be a mistake to begin with. Job descriptions and actual guidelines are nice as well.

Needs to learn how to treat loyal hardworking employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Helix Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No compliant regarding pay for type of work . Free lunch once a month, company sponsored picnic and Christmas party. .

Cons

The Victor factor (Las Vegas Branch), I did every thing I was asked plus more. Company paid insurance, but the plan was very restrictive.

Reward loyalty and hard work.

Enjoyed working for Helix Elec.

I worked at Helix Electric

Pros

Some of the best people I got to work with.

Cons

Information isn't shared across the division and isn't shared by the manager. Made to feel guilty if you work no more than 40 hrs a week.

exciting,proffesional crew, learned alot from Tim Cassey(Foreman)very fast past crew, I d love to work for them again in

Former Employee - Inside Lineman Electrician Apprentice in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Lineman Electrician Apprentice in Stockton, CA

I worked at Helix Electric full-time (less than a year)

Pros

rewarding plenty of oppertunities for advansment, Helix is ahead of their time, very smart people to work along side with, they take their time to show you if you dont understand

Cons

there were no bad challanges when I worked there,

I think that the management upper level are superior in there field, proffesional individuals ,

Prehistoric Management & Technology

Former Employee - Electrical Estimator in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Electrical Estimator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Helix Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you play slots and gamble, this office is in close proximity to the strip!

Cons

Expect to perform twice as much with half of the technology and irrelevant old school mentality. Did I mention the pay was lousy?

Retire, retire, retire. Don't lay off 100+ people and then let your wife drive up in a new Ferrari to a company outing (she's the Neanderthal looking one on the failed "Vegas High Rollers" reality show).

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Helix Electric full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growing company, well diversified, great team of talented & smart individuals to work with, lots of promotion opportunities for those who are willing to work hard and add value. Dedicated to training its people as well.

Cons

I really can't think of any!

Stay the course!

Former Employee - Reception in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Reception in San Diego, CA

I worked at Helix Electric full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Helix was a financially generous and culturally encompassing company to work for. The owners are foreign born, allowing a diverse work environment. They have many facets within the Company for education and upward mobility. They fairly increase job responsibility as you incorporate the work load. Most everyone was considerate and helpful to new employees.

Cons

The differences in language sometimes hampered conversation. Taking time off during working hours for an emergency dental appointment was frowned upon. It cost me my job. It might have been my supervisors problem.

I really enjoyed my job, but other peoples attitudes were causing a critical problem. The phone system was causing electrical shock issues, which in turn caused a dental/hearing problem. I'm sure a new phone system is now in place.?