Helix Energy Solutions

www.helixesg.com

Helix Energy Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014
Helix Energy Solutions – US – “Crude output at the Phoenix oilfield, in Green…”

Helix Energy Solutions – US – “Crude output at the Phoenix oilfield, in Green…”

Helix Energy Solutions Executive Chairman and CEO Owen E. Kratz

Owen E. Kratz

Valuation up. Morale and retention down.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHelix is a good place to work if you want to learn. There are plenty of opportunities to branch out into areas of interest outside your job description.

ConsPolitics and incongruous treatment of employees inhibits organizational progress. Employees are over worked and overloaded. Management turns a blind eye to employee morale. The HR department is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a break from the balance sheet and focus on the true assets of the organization, the employees.

A very poorly managed company that treats its employees as bad as it is managed.

Project Procurement Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlexible work hours, generous vacation/sick time/company holidays

ConsDuring my time I had the two worst supervisors I have ever had during my professional career. Being lied to, having credit taken for your work, being used as a scapegoat are all common place at Helix in the supply chain department. During 2.5 years, there has been a full 45-50% turnover rate in a group that had as many as 25 people at one time and 2 manager and 1 director left/were fired. There is no use of the chain of command, no focus on employee development at all, no leadership training as the leaders are terrible role models (and need training for themselves before they could logically train an employee)and there are no employee evaluations to speak of.

A couple other notable cons:
    - Favoritism for under-performers is the norm in supply chain, the strong are pushed aside as they are threats to the managers.
    - Promotions are rarely, if ever given and raises are never given less the measly 2-3% cost of living adjustment people receive.
    - HR is not on the side of the employees, its actually quite the opposite. Going to HR with an issue is a risk and most employees that I know suffered for bringing problems to light.

If you want to use Helix as a place to learn but not stay, it can serve that purpose, don't plan on making a home here.

Advice to Senior ManagementSubjectively the answer that come to mind are grow a backbone but that is not helpful though it is accurate. Objectively, the managers are not professionals, not ready to lead their employees by example and incapable of empowering them to make decisions that are related to their scope of work. Helix supply chain had a strong leader in the past, his position was filled by someone quite the opposite and there is no sign it will change in the near future.

Added experience to my resume at a cost.

Sharepoint Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMost of the folks are great people with which to work.

ConsThe pay scale is grossly below market value; little to no room for advancement. Very disorganized IT department.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees fairly at the actual market value. Do some research on what other companies in the same industry in the Houston market are paying, and you will see that the Helix pay scales, at least as far as IT goes, are grossly under value. To lose a good employee to another company because of unfair pay is a completely fixable problem.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well...

ProsSometimes good - sometimes bad - ok

ConsAs every where... stand for yourself

A mixed bag

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary and work environment very excellent. It can be a good place to work if you land in the right department.

ConsIf an individual has a key/critical role at the company which can significantly impact the bottom-line, he/she is protected by upper management, no matter how poorly they manage their employees, how poorly they communicate and despite unbelievably unacceptable
    behavior towards employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are certain types of management styles and behaviors which are entirely unacceptable. When an HR department must get involved repeatedly, it is time to take a hard look at the situation. Additionally, each department seems to be an island with completely different ways to doing things and there is not a lot of effective communication between groups. Too much suspicion etc. A well thought out and implemented management policy would be a good idea...

Behind the ball but trying to catch up

ProsThe company is expanding and has tried to improve salaries and benefits recently. Training has improved and a new atmosphere of advancement and promoting from within has started to be enacted.

ConsA lot of cut corners on there offshore assets but some are from previous management that have since been replaced. Still on the low side for salary and benefits but the office is aware and trying to keep improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more money into quality equipment and vessel systems, especially in the beginning to ensure but results. Continue bring compensation up to industry standards.

Growing pains

ProsSmall company atmosphere, flexibility in work schedule; friendly work atmosphere

ConsFlat management tree - small opportunity for advancement; experiencing growing pains

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for growth within the company

Has been very good to me.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIn this smaller company, employees can have a greater impact on company results than at larger companies. Good work/life balance.

ConsA lot of people have left, and HR is shorthanded and swamped. Positions go unfilled and those that remain retain more and more work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more often to employees, instead of focusing almost entirely on investors. A higher stock price is not the only goal. Quality work, a sound strategy, and employee pride should count also. The stock price will eventually follow if you achieve those things.

Generally good solid company with bright prospects -- quirky leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood company with a challenging business model.
    Generally very profitable company in most parts of the business cycle.
    Generally very fair with bonuses, etc.

ConsO&G side of business has been for sell for a long time. This causes paralysis on that side of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery top management is almost exclusively focused on things other than operationally improving the company. Many of the things they are focused on (investment community, asset sales, etc.) are necessary but somebody needs to drive lasting process improvements throughout the business. That skill seems to be absent in executive management.
    Solid, timely and consistent communication with employees is also sub par.

Excellent company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExcellent management and senior management

ConsReally no cons that I know of.

Worked for Helix Energy Solutions? Contribute to the Community!