Heller Consulting

Updated November 3, 2014
Updated November 3, 2014
4.0

Keith Heller & Jeffrey Appell

A fun company that sincerely cares about its employees and its clients.

Former Employee - Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Heller Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Heller cares about its employees. Consultants are encouraged to pursue professional development opportunities and given resources to do so. This is a place where you can learn a lot of technical and other skills. This is a place will you will get to use your brain and work out interesting and complex problems on a daily basis.

The office culture is wonderful. Heller employs a group of really smart, fun, and hard-working people. You will love your coworkers! You will also get to work with some amazing organizations and help further the great work that they do.

Cons

Working on numerous projects in tandem can lead to an imbalanced workload. Sometimes you are insanely busy and other times you have a lot less to do.

Amazing People, Great Work

I worked at Heller Consulting (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a company that cares deeply about the people who work there and challenges them to grow not only in their particular job skills, but as people. Cultivating respect and self-awareness are required and paying attention to how you work with others leads to exceptional teamwork for clients. I worked at Heller for nine years and had the opportunity to learn just about every aspect of running a small consulting business. My ideas and concerns were always listened to, even if they weren't always acted on. I've never worked at a place with such a well-cultivated sense of teamwork.

Cons

The industry changes quickly and the business changes with it. Heller is very good at evaluating its options, but if you're someone who is uncomfortable with changing roles and sometimes quickly evolving structures, it can be tough.

Never lose your focus on the value of intentional team development. It is what makes Heller Consulting such a great place.

Great people, fulfilling work, balanced work and life.

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Heller Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with Heller allows me to do work I enjoy and help nonprofit organizations too. Good balance between a profitable company and nonprofit experience.

Cons

It's an agency feel at times, so there are deadlines for sure. I've had much worse though.

As you grow, company culture will evolve. Don't force it or let it stagnate, but guide the evolution like nurturing a puppy.

Great boutique firm. Fantastic colleagues and nonprofit clients.

I have been working at Heller Consulting (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Heller for a few years. The work is very challenging, but can be extremely rewarding. Almost cliche to say, but my colleagues are the best part of coming to work each day. A close second is the opportunity to work with amazing nonprofit organizations across North America.

Cons

Work can be very challenging. Project-based work is typically very deadline-driven. There are certainly lower-impact jobs out there. This is a job you have to love to do well.

Continue to conscientiously grow the firm. There is an excellent core group of employees, but we could do more for the sector if we can grow in a sustainable way.

worst place to work

I worked at Heller Consulting

Pros

there are none for this company

Cons

a host of immoral business tatics. not the friendliest staff

clean it up

Not Good at Company Management and Treating Employees Well.

I worked at Heller Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Flexible Schedule. HQ close to public transportation.

Cons

Lack of advancement. Unorganized company that still believes they are a start up. Bad HR management. Lack of quality people skills. No solid company rules, makes them up as they go. Lack of recognition.

Promote people into management who have a better skill set and experience. Have a better direction of company policies.

hard working committed team

I worked at Heller Consulting

Pros

Smart folks, committed team, casual workpace

Cons

no real cons, great place to work and awesome team environment.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Client Representative in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Client Representative in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Heller Consulting

Pros

The owner, Keith Heller is probably the best manager I ever worked for. His time management skills are incredible. He focuses on what is important and is open to everyone learning and growing. He takes care of himself and his family and encourages you to do the same. There is continuous communication, feedback and improvement in processes. Continuous creativity in expanding business opportunities and you are doing it all to help non profits improve their fundraising. Wish I still worked there.

Cons

Can't think of any. I left for personal reasons. I do know that if you are a consultant it does require extensive travel which may be difficult for many people.

I really don't have any advice for this section, but it's required, so I would say maybe look for ways to continue delivering services while minimizing stress for consultants.