Hello Direct

1 Rating

very disappointing

Former Employee - Finance in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Finance in Nashua, NH

I worked at Hello Direct full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people, employees not managers

Cons

the new owners & management

treat the employees who are dedicated and reliable as important staff members

Used to be a great company but has since been purchased by a small time, cheap company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Hello Direct full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Prior to Call One purchasing Hello Direct from Jabra, the company had great compensation, excellent benefits and was generous and flexible. Laid back, comfortable environment with wonderful sales folks and support staff.

Cons

Benefits have been greatly reduced- no more 401k match, increased cost of benefits, ended tuition reimbursement, poorly managed, Company that purchased HD is not generous, disorganized and short sighted. Under previous ownership we had access to great technology, new company is too cheap to continue these services so we are left with makeshift and archaic technology and tools to do our job to save them a few nickels. Management is awful. Ever since February (purchase date) things have changed for the worse. We had a significant lay off of 26% in July. In recent weeks, each week we are given more negative news about decreases in our benefits. I think the writing is on the wall for this company.. Everyone is pretty uneasy about the future of their job here.

Try advocating for some of your better sales people as well as make a case to invest in some decent tools and technology- it's seriously embarrassing to have to explain to customers how backwards things are done.

Worst Place I Have Ever Worked

I have been working at Hello Direct

Pros

Good place to get sales experience for those fresh out of college. By comparison to other account manager jobs in the area. There is a reasonable expectation to make north of 60K.

Cons

The first problem is that Hello Direct is a direct business model and the parent company GN netcom is an indirect (through the channell.) From the get-go the company has an identity problem. Each business unit is working agaisnt each other, with the GN side always getting the lion’s share. Being a Danish company the HQ is in Denmark, subsequently all of the career advancement positions are simply not avilable. For the local (NH) manger roles, in the last 3 years there has been not 1 promotion from the team. The sales Director has already changed 3 times since Phillis MuCullagh was in charge. We have also had 3 North American senior mangemnt changes. The current President shows up in the office about 1 week every two months. Maybe he will make the office more when boating season is over.

Subsequently with all of the manger changes, there has been a commision plan change every year. The current plan is a complete mess and it’s a crap shoot to determine if you make goal (commision even a dollar) or not. The commison plan starts at 80% and is goverened by the all important goal.. which often doen’t show up to until the last week of the month. Additionaly the actual goal is often outsidise the reasonable expectations of what ones’s territory can produce. Very often people don’t even make 1 dollar in commisions.

In general one is hard pressed to find anyone who actually cares about the company, or the job they are doing. It is a terribly negative enviroment. In two years there has been over 50% turn over rate—yet no one cares…

Fix some of the issues above and maybe it will be a better place to work at. Once the current employees are happy, maybe top teir talent will start to take our company seriously.

a professional, friendly enviroment.

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Hello Direct

Pros

great pay, great bennifit package, lots of room for advancement. Full cafeteria onsite with great food. tons of employee ensentives.

Cons

the people that have been here for ovwer five years tend to stick together. its a very clicky cooperate enviroment.

work on training your employees better. stop being so clicky with senior staff. try to make employees understand the products better.

The worst place I have ever worked

I have been working at Hello Direct

Pros

They do have good products.

Cons

Management lies constantly. No respect for employees. They are totally incompetent. Commissions dropped from $3 to $4K a month down to under $1K for most reps. They also do not have any respect for their customers.

Go back to the way it used to be. Compensate employees fairly for work earned and stop lying to them.

cold calling extra!

I worked at Hello Direct

Pros

co-workers were very nice and supportive. the hours were also steady (8-5), did allow time for personal appts. (i.e. drs appts etc)

Cons

if you were not given good accts you had to call places the were pulled out of a database that management admitted was inaccurate. High turnover and well-meaning but clueless upper management

get help sorting ut how you realllllllly want to go to market with products and get some in-house service offerings

Used to be a great place to work...

I worked at Hello Direct

Pros

Great people - especially many of the reps and their supervisors (both inbound and BDE groups)

Cons

Used to be very entraprenarial and empowering for the first 3 years, but less so the last 2

Kinda too late at this point. I believe HDI would have ran better as an independent entity, without the long (or now short) arm of GN Netcom.