Hello Innovation

4.1

Joe Joachim

Passionate Company for Passionate People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hello Innovation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working with Hello Innovation for a few years now. It is by far the best company I have worked for. Does it have problems? Of course. All companies have problems. Biggest difference is that at Hello Innovation you are empowered to change what is wrong and create your own destiny. Really frustrating for people looking for 9-to-5 job, amazing for people that want to make a difference and become better every single day.

Among other things, I can mention that no time-off request was ever denied, the people here are truly amazing, compensation is above average and there is no limit (everyone grows as the company grow, and as they grow - don't expect raises if you keep doing the same things, but huge bumps on compensation are common when people step up and start to have more responsibilities and getting things done).

Cons

Hello Innovation is an unique company - everyone is constantly challenged. You will be questioned, but not in a bad way. So this can be tough or frustrating at some points if you don't truly understand the reason (make sure you looked at the problem from all possible angles and have 100% confidence on your solution).

Hope you find the needed pieces to make this an even better company!

Exciting, Innovative Company - Perfect Place For Passionate, Out-Of-The-Box Thinkers!

Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hello Innovation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hello Innovation is a great company for people who don't want to be confined to one way of working, or to doing the same medial task day in and day out. The CEO and management encourage you to think outside of the box when it comes to your assignments, and push you to follow your passions - even if they are outside of your primary job duties! I expressed interest in learning more about an area of content marketing that I was passionate about, and they sent me to the largest industry conference to learn more about the subject for a week! That's just how the company operates. Sure, they want to succeed as a company and do well, but above all, they want their employees to be passionate about what they are doing, excel in their own positions, and love coming to work every day. It's so rare to work with people who genuinely put your needs and passions first. The culture of the company feels like a group of friends that get to work together and geek out about what they are most enthusiastic about everyday. It's the best kind of environment to work in. (The regular ping pong battles, complementary lunches and company outings don't hurt either!)

Cons

The work at Hello Innovation is not easy, and definitely isn't for people who want to zone out and just "get through" another work day. They are constantly pushing you to do your best work possible and encouraging you to be on your A-game. Some people don't like that kind of pressure, but it can also be really satisfying to finish a project and know that you put your all into your work. You also will never be doing the same thing every day, and what you're working on may switch lanes halfway through out the day. If you're not a "go with the flow" kind of person, or you're someone that likes to know what they are working on a week, a month or a year from now, HI may not be the place for you.

Keep doin' what you're doin'! HI is a great environment to work in, and I love being encouraged to put out my best possible work every single day.

Rock-stars do apply here!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hello Innovation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of Pro's. Not for everyone, if you don't have a "Let's get stuff done" attitude and don't like working on lots of different things H.I. might not be the company for you. Lots of job openings, open to talent of all backgrounds and experience levels. They are looking for good people, not necessarily perfectly crafted resumes and LinkedIn profiles. Was my first Software Development Job. CTO and Engineering staff took me under their wing immediately. Lots of perks. Balloons on the first day (CEO buys the company pizza for lunch your first day, to celebrate YOU coming on board!), they really made me feel like they were happy to have me work there. Pizza or catering everyday, Tigers games, lunch cookouts, company outings. Always something going on. Flexible work schedule. Talented leadership. I can't speak for everyone, but this being my first job strictly in a software development role, it was tough to know what to expect. If it wasn't for a dream job move (my wife's) I'd still be happily employed at H.I. I still am in contact weekly (if not daily) with the friends I made at H.I. The CEO knows me by name, and did the first day of work. Try and find that in today's thick bureaucratic corporate system. CTO and staff left me awesome references to get me hired into my new role in a different city. If you are on the fence about joining the team, let this review push to do it!

Cons

Nothing outside of the normal. Not everyone gets a long in any office environment, or even finds their niche. Unfortunately, the ones that can't hack it seem to make their way onto the internet to complain. They don't seem to last long at H.I.

H.I. had basically dominated their core markets when I came on board. It seemed like there were a lot of new projects trying to get going all at once, which can overload the Admin of even the greatest organization. My advice would be to continue to hire top people, and to take each new project on one (or a couple) at a time to completion even if you have to Rhino Principle it. It's tough to give advice to a dynamic 30 something CEO who built the company from scratch, is dominating the market and buys Ferrari's with cash (his not the companies)......

Run, run far away.

Former Employee - Marketing in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hello Innovation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No dress code
    Lunches provided every so often
    Talented Co-workers

Cons

There are too many negative things to list so I'll stick to the main ones. At first they promise you an amazing career here and make you feel so lucky to have been chosen; a month in reality hits. There is no job security here. There is no room for growth. You are brought on for a "two week trial period" which typically lasts 6 months or more (if you make it that long.) During my time here I saw more than half of the staff let go; reason being "you weren't a fit." There is no HR, there are no reviews, there is no one to go to with issues and if you ask questions you are considered weak and will probably be fired for it. The CEO believes he is an expert at everything and will make that known to you regardless of how much training and experience you have. After leaving H.I. I finally saw how bad of a reputation they have, even to the point I was told I shouldn't say I worked for them. The new position I took was less stressful, great job security and paid $20k more. Notice how most of the positive reviews on here sound similar? That's because the marketing department writes them. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

To the CEO- I don't know how you sleep at night knowing how many individuals and families you've negatively impacted without reason or notice. High turn over rates are a reflection of YOU, not your employee. I've seen extremely talented people work there, way more talented than you, yet you don't give them a chance or credit where credit is due. You'd really benefit from classes on how to successfully run a business. Best of luck, you'll need it.

Rockstar Company Culture in Riveting Work Environment! * Incredible Group of People. *

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hello Innovation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredible, challenging environment with great opportunity for personal and professional growth. Fun and colorful office with lots of perks (coffee! snacks! lunches!) Really collaborative group of hard working coworkers who are passionate about growth and development.

Cons

I love working here so much I feel like working on nights and weekends. Not for the faint at heart or lazy.. definitely need to be motivated and passionate or go home.

The best place to work in Detroit!

I have been working at Hello Innovation (less than an year)

Pros

Hello Innovation hires bright, motivated people that want to get things done. You have the opportunity drive real changes to solve big problems while learning a ton and having fun in the process. Employees are given the freedom to forge their own path and generate idea to help contribute to the success of the company.

Employees are approachable and eager to help create a great place to work. Everyone treats each other with respect and they all take pride in ownership. A laid back work environment that encourages teamwork and collaboration.

Cons

The work can be very fast paced and challenging at times, which can be difficult to those who have never worked in a startup environment. People who lack self-discipline and the ability to adapt quickly to change may have a difficult time working at Hello Innovation.

You've created a truly great place to work and have provided your staff with the tools and freedom to get things done. Don’t let the growth trip you up.

Very disapointing expierance

Former Employee - Various Roles in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Various Roles in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hello Innovation full-time

Pros

This review will read very similar to "office helps" review, but as they stated, great 1st impression. Promised the moon and the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, friendly and transparent organization. Fast-paced was about the only thing that turned out to be true. Very visually appealing building and environment and no dress code are about the only positive takeaways from this company.

Cons

Constant back-stabbing and no transparency whatsoever. Focus only on revenue and public face with no attention paid to employee's growth or client/customer satisfaction. INCREDIBLY high turnover rate, regardless of the "level of talent and hard work" they expect.

Maybe there is something to the unbelievably high turnover rate, and it's not lack of talent...

Growing company. Awesome culture. Great place to make a real impact.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hello Innovation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great core team of passionate people working on projects that make a huge impact. All thoughts, ideas, and viewpoints are heard, and employees are encouraged to bring all feedback and ideas to the table - no matter what department or role they're in. Employees are also encouraged to help build their team, process, and make the company a better place.

As far as culture goes - the team is awesome. There is great talent that works for the company, and everyone is super passionate about what they do. Joe, the CEO is also a huge advocate about having a great culture, and truly cares about every employee.

Work on companies that Hello Innovation owns so there is no mess of going back and forth with "the client" because they are their own client. There are also no unnecessary processes, rules, and procedures. Each team is free to adjust the project management process in a way that works best for them.

Company quadrupled their revenue last year and has big plans for 2014. If you want to ride a roller coaster with a company that's going from really good, to really great - this is the place for you!

Cons

If you're not a motivated self-starter and don't want to be challenged, then HI isn't a good fit for you. If you're the type that wants specific directions spelled out for every little detail of your job or just want to do "monkey work" with no thought involved, you won't last.

Also, the CEO and management team set very high quality standards and are encouraged to push people to do the best work they can do. Definitely not a smooth sailing easy-ride job - but a great opportunity to better yourself with a team of super smart people that want to make an impact.

The company is also growing very fast, so key people in the company often find themselves wearing a few different hats. But, the company is actively hiring new talent and making a real effort to grow their team in order to scale.

Keep priorities aligned company-wide and continue to bring in amazing talent to reach long-term goals. Continue to question question everything to continuously improve.

More like 'GoodByeInnovation' - lots of good intentions but fails to deliver!

Former Employee - Office Help in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Office Help in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hello Innovation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Colorful environment, fast paced, creative, very cool first impression.

Cons

Despite the creative environment its nearly impossible to get anything done. The floor is setup wrong, the product development process is way flawed, major bottleneck on leadership. It seemed like the design and technical department was always stressed out.

There's some real talent and nice people there. Let that talent shine vs. talk about how great you are ;-). Maybe focus on horizontal leadership vs. 'entourage leadership'. On the surface it seems like things are great but in every corner there was drama. Also - get rid of the umbrellas, its bad luck to open them inside a building.

Fun and exciting place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hello Innovation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Hello Innovation is very enjoyable.
    Amazing people, very skilled in their fields and passionate about what they do. Small agile teams.
    No dress code, freezer full of ice-cream (or maybe this is a con?), fresh organic fruit and various snacks, birthday celebrations, lunches frequently brough in by the company, tech talks, lan parties, BBQs

Cons

the open environment is great, until you figure out it is a source of distractions. Placing the tournament-grade ping pong table next to engineers might not be the best idea to stay focused

sometimes it takes too much time to release products, with costantly adding features and changing plans