Helmerich & Payne

Add Photos

Hans Helmerich

Life Timer

Motors (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsPay is good 401k is extremely competitive, benefits are awesome. Family friendly/oriented. Company cares about its employees right down to the little guy. Great opportunity to advance especially now with pipeline opening up in west Tx.

ConsSuits need to pay more attention to helping workers (especially with family) who travel 5-18 hrs to the location and spend a 3rd of their check to live for 2 wks and travel to and from. Not that it isn't unfair to the single employee but the company could show some appreciation and compensate the dedicated loyal workers. Seems the company chooses to shut its eyes to this problem

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've made this company great by doing what your doing, only advise is to start openly sweating some of the small stuff. Were not all making driller and up wages. Solve a problem, help moral, make the company all that much more appealing. And do away the stop cards. Its only training liars with a required 1-5 stop cards per day. Some of us actually stay bowed up like a cut worm instead of standing around looking for people to make mistskes

Great company that prides itself on its culture and high number of long-time employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThe company began in 1920 and has made an ongoing effort to establish a certain culture. Management does a great job of choosing employees based not only on their skills and knowledge, but also their fit into the culture. People enjoy coming to work, and many stay for their entire career.

ConsThe only negative aspect that comes to mind is that, over my years there, it seems that management reacted a bit slowly to the change from having just under 100 employees in the headquarters office, to over 500 today. There are some areas where the improvement of processes and lower level management delegation have been slow to adapt.

Was better before when it was more like a family.

Rig Electrician (Current Employee) Dickinson, ND

ProsThe pay checks are good

ConsA 14/7 schedule, company is all about its own pockets now.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing opportunity with great company!

Accounts Payable (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsHelmerich & Payne is a great company that is flexible and strong. The values and culture of Helmerich & Payne make it a great company to work for.

ConsThere seems to be limited opportunity for career expansion. Most departments tend to be fairly lateral and flat with limited growth opportunities within the company.

Awesome Company

Floor Hand (Former Employee) Odessa, TX

ProsAt lower levels, like roughnecks, they treat everyone great. They will definitely get their money's worth out of you. But the hard work is always reciprocated with great pay and fair treatment. Even through tough times they try to lay off as few people as possible. Unless you deserve it, then you're gone.

ConsThe hours were long and the 14/14 hitches were long too. But for the money the hours worked alright, and for as long as the commute was, the hitches weren't bad either

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, I would love to come back and work for H&P after I graduate

slow

Floorhand (Current Employee)

Proshighly emphasis on training. safetly is important

Conswork with some people who are not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Best company I could ever imagine working for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThey actually value their employees and encourage them to stay. Many companies out there could care less if their employees leave, even the best ones. They do not understand the cost involved in hiring a new person and hoping they will be as good some day. H&P does not do that. The majority of workers there have been there for 10+ years and many 20+ years. They pay is good and the benefits are as well.

ConsIn my job there is a little bit of travel but honestly not enough to be a burden. They are very good about making sure 1 person does not get the brunt of being away from their families for a day or 2.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. It is obviously working.

Great Company

Floor Hand/Intern (Former Employee) Calumet, OK

ProsVery good environment/culture
    Very knowledgeable
    Willing to teach new comers

ConsHard work, can be challenging.
    Need strong work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Family and friends click

Offshore Floorhand (Current Employee)

ProsTime off and the pay is nice.

ConsToo much of a family and friends click and gossip goes on too much. Sometimes the supervision doesn't always go by the rules which frustrates me to no end. There is a lot of hypocrisy that goes on.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen something is said don't go back on it and don't pick when to go by the rules and procedures and when someone lower than you in position suggests something, or about safety don't let your self pride get in the way of a better idea or your and everyone safety. That's what stops company growth and what kills people (SELF PRIDE).

Not the best company but they do take care of their stuff and employees

Pros401k ,insurance, above avg pay

Consno perdim,older rigs, no safety pay ($50 every 3 months)

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for upper management at this time

Worked for Helmerich & Payne? Contribute to the Community!