Helmerich & Payne

Updated August 2, 2014
Updated August 2, 2014
4.1

Hans Helmerich

Hard work, good compensation, great experience

Former Employee - Summer-intern  in  Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Summer-intern in Odessa, TX

I worked at Helmerich & Payne as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The compensation is very competitive, and the technology that H&P uses makes it one the safest drilling companies in the world. I came out to the rig with no field experience and in 2 hitches was experienced enough to actually know what I was doing. It was a great way to learn how a rig works and make a ton of money over the summer!

Cons

Being away from your friends and family for 15 day stretches (1 day for driving) can be tough. Also the 12 hour long shifts in the hot sun with very limited breaks can also be tough.

Life Timer

Current Employee - Motors  in  Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Motors in Midland, TX

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good 401k is extremely competitive, benefits are awesome. Family friendly/oriented. Company cares about its employees right down to the little guy. Great opportunity to advance especially now with pipeline opening up in west Tx.

Cons

Suits need to pay more attention to helping workers (especially with family) who travel 5-18 hrs to the location and spend a 3rd of their check to live for 2 wks and travel to and from. Not that it isn't unfair to the single employee but the company could show some appreciation and compensate the dedicated loyal workers. Seems the company chooses to shut its eyes to this problem

You've made this company great by doing what your doing, only advise is to start openly sweating some of the small stuff. Were not all making driller and up wages. Solve a problem, help moral, make the company all that much more appealing. And do away the stop cards. Its only training liars with a required 1-5 stop cards per day. Some of us actually stay bowed up like a cut worm instead of standing around looking for people to make mistskes

Great company that prides itself on its culture and high number of long-time employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company began in 1920 and has made an ongoing effort to establish a certain culture. Management does a great job of choosing employees based not only on their skills and knowledge, but also their fit into the culture. People enjoy coming to work, and many stay for their entire career.

Cons

The only negative aspect that comes to mind is that, over my years there, it seems that management reacted a bit slowly to the change from having just under 100 employees in the headquarters office, to over 500 today. There are some areas where the improvement of processes and lower level management delegation have been slow to adapt.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was better before when it was more like a family.

Current Employee - Rig Electrician  in  Dickinson, ND
    Current Employee - Rig Electrician in Dickinson, ND

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay checks are good

Cons

A 14/7 schedule, company is all about its own pockets now.

Amazing opportunity with great company!

Current Employee - Accounts Payable  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helmerich & Payne is a great company that is flexible and strong. The values and culture of Helmerich & Payne make it a great company to work for.

Cons

There seems to be limited opportunity for career expansion. Most departments tend to be fairly lateral and flat with limited growth opportunities within the company.

Awesome Company

Former Employee - Floor Hand  in  Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Floor Hand in Odessa, TX

I worked at Helmerich & Payne full-time for more than a year

Pros

At lower levels, like roughnecks, they treat everyone great. They will definitely get their money's worth out of you. But the hard work is always reciprocated with great pay and fair treatment. Even through tough times they try to lay off as few people as possible. Unless you deserve it, then you're gone.

Cons

The hours were long and the 14/14 hitches were long too. But for the money the hours worked alright, and for as long as the commute was, the hitches weren't bad either

Keep doing what you're doing, I would love to come back and work for H&P after I graduate

slow

Current Employee - Floorhand
    Current Employee - Floorhand

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

highly emphasis on training. safetly is important

Cons

work with some people who are not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Best company I could ever imagine working for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time for more than a year

Pros

They actually value their employees and encourage them to stay. Many companies out there could care less if their employees leave, even the best ones. They do not understand the cost involved in hiring a new person and hoping they will be as good some day. H&P does not do that. The majority of workers there have been there for 10+ years and many 20+ years. They pay is good and the benefits are as well.

Cons

In my job there is a little bit of travel but honestly not enough to be a burden. They are very good about making sure 1 person does not get the brunt of being away from their families for a day or 2.

Keep doing what you are doing. It is obviously working.

Great Company

Former Employee - Floor Hand/Intern  in  Calumet, OK
    Former Employee - Floor Hand/Intern in Calumet, OK

I worked at Helmerich & Payne full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good environment/culture
    Very knowledgeable
    Willing to teach new comers

Cons

Hard work, can be challenging.
    Need strong work ethic

Keep doing what you are doing.

Family and friends click

Current Employee - Offshore Floorhand
    Current Employee - Offshore Floorhand

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Time off and the pay is nice.

Cons

Too much of a family and friends click and gossip goes on too much. Sometimes the supervision doesn't always go by the rules which frustrates me to no end. There is a lot of hypocrisy that goes on.

When something is said don't go back on it and don't pick when to go by the rules and procedures and when someone lower than you in position suggests something, or about safety don't let your self pride get in the way of a better idea or your and everyone safety. That's what stops company growth and what kills people (SELF PRIDE).

Worked for Helmerich & Payne? Contribute to the Community!