Help/Systems

Be The First To
Add Photos

Janet Dryer

High energy, fast growing

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Eden Prairie, MN

ProsHelpSystems is a medium size company in Eden Prairie. It has grown organically and through acquisition. The work place is optimal for those who like advancement opportunities. Lots of hiring and new jobs added each year. Great people and very fun.

ConsIt can be hard to get new people trained and up-to-speed. Remote offices can take managers away from their home office.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel lucky and proud to be part of such a wonderful group.

Stay away

ProsFree food - they want you to drink their poison kool-aide

ConsMicromanaged - everyone has an office for a reason - so you Shut up & put up! The CEO & her pets are totally unethical & unprofessional!

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave

Great culture. Great People.

Pros-For the size the company has become, the people are ALL so caring and kind. Not to mention passionate about their jobs and go well beyond what is expected of them which rubs off on everyone else.
    -Great benefits
    -Regular perks/gifts to employees that incentivize people
    -Tremendous volunteer work available and very generous to the community and charities
    -Brand new office

Cons-Some growing pains but that is to be expected when acquiring new companies to add to the product lines.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over all very positive.

ProsThe company has a great culture. They provide a lot of incentives to the employees. The CEO trys very hard to appreciate all of the employees. It is a positive upbeat environment. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement.

ConsThe company is growing very fast, so you have to really like change to like working at this company. There a lot of new employees that may not appreciate the culture that has been in place since inception.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is OK to over communicate. The more informatin available to employees the better.

Decisions are made with little regard for data

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people in the ranks who are smart and work hard

ConsManagement changes direction with the wind. Not much regard for actual data when looking to the future. If someone falls out of favor, they are let go or pressured to leave.There are the favorites of the CEO who are too afraid to fall out of favor so they just follow along and don't recommend change or disagree with plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the core business and the core people who made the company great.

Not a good fit for me

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsHelp/Systems owns the IBM midrange space for IBM i, in system automation, security, and BI. They are growing thru acquisition and have absorbed much of their competition. They own the space they are in and will be successful it because there are so few competitors left. Many of their products are good and work well so they are able to establish prices and terms.

ConsSenior management is rigid and inflexible making working there very difficult. I was part of a company that was purchased and found senior management to not be truthful about their intentions. They also changed their minds about decisions that had been announced as company policy.

Employees know they have to keep their opinions about how Help is run to themselves or they will be let go. Loyalty is absolutely the most important trait to working for Help.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize you have lost a lot of talent because of the way you view your employees

Most people are unhappy but afraid to say

(Current Employee)
    Eden Prairie, MN

ProsGreat pay and benefits.
    Everyone has their own office.
    We get lots of free food.
    Plenty of gifts when the company is doing good financially.
    The employees want to do a great job and care about our products.

ConsLike many of the comments already mentioned, the CEO and upper management have their favorite people. These are the people that get rewarded and promoted.

Company now grows through acquisitions rather than product enhancements. I feel sorry for the companies Help/Systems acquires and the customers that get folded in.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe policy is "If you aren't happy, then leave." We don't want to leave, we want to fix the issues. I wish that management would be able to talk to the CEO without fear.

Take a look at why so many upper management people have left the company. We want to fix the issues, but CEO only wants to hear that we are the best.

Stop encourage us to vote high marks on surveys to show we are a great company. It would be nice if we tried to be better and weren't afraid to vote honestly.

"Stay the course" is a theme for management. It worked when the company was doing well. Now that it seems to be heading for a cliff, it might be time for a new plan.

Great company benefits, poor management

Eden Prairie, MN

ProsCompany recognizes employees and has some great benefits. It's a growing company that is highly profitable.

ConsPoor choices in management. Make decisions quick without fully analyzing cost and outcomes.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally use your employees to their full potential.

Drive away great employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone gets their own office, but the walls are so thin that you end up treating the space like a cubical. Food is frequently brought in, need it be lunch, pizza, or pie. It would have been nice to see healthier options.

ConsGreat employees are not rewarded for their hard work and successes. Instead the CEO's groupies receive rewards and promoted for work substandard work. Upper management doesn't listen to field experts and make poor decisions while changing their minds frequently. This type of management is very difficult and frustrating to work for which results in nothing being efficient.

When something goes wrong, upper management doesn't want to hear and starts pointing fingers instead of trying to learn from the experience and ends up throwing hard workers under the buss. Not only does this company have troubles keeping new employees but people are frequently fired.

There is a great amount of effort put into acquisitions of new companies but persistent existing company problems are not resolved. Hence, just causing a bigger mess of a company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis isn't a sorority, reward the people that deserve it even if they are not friends.

Winning Spirit, Poor Execution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees, especially on the development side, are recognized for their contributions. Morale-building activities, including Pie Day and bowling excursions, are common. Historically, the company has known its niche and excelled within its confines.

ConsConfusion has become corporate culture, creeping in from the top down. Traditionally, the CEO and her close associates have micromanaged areas well beyond their areas of expertise, resulting in untold lost revenue from both the sales and marketing, and countless dollars lost through inefficiency (employees not educated/experienced enough to fill roles; outdated infrastructure). "Minnesota Nice" has been taken to an extreme at Help/Systems, where the simple suggestion that dollars spent should be tracked alongside results is verboten. This is truly a company where you are encouraged to come, go, and keep your mouth shut. In addition, the acquisition model has grown to almost comical proportions, given how much more could be done with existing assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttain continuing education for yourselves and your employees. Find out what successful competitors are doing, and emulate them in your corporate culture and hiring choices. Hire applicants that don't need micromanaging, and then let them do their jobs. Most of all, know what you don't know, and then fix it...or hire somebody who can.

Worked for Help/Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Help/Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Help/Systems CEO Janet Dryer. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Help/Systems employees.