HelpSTAR

Be The First To
Add Photos

Igal Hauer

Employment and Salary

IT Technology Support (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood and latest IT platform used by this company

ConsWork culture and Salries are very poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementStalking on employees dhould be stopped. Salaries and work culture to improved to retain good employees.

Worst job I ever had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone.
    If I had to come up with one pro, it would be that you receive a paycheck, but even that has it's cons.
    You'll be paid once a month so good luck budgeting your monthly expenses, especially if your mortgage or car payments are bi weekly.

ConsThis has to be the least forward thinking, and least innovative technology company on the planet. Most people who work in this sector look for on the job perks such as a fun environment, flexibility, work life balance, incentive and encouragement to learn new skills while enhancing what you already know.

This company offers none of that, you will be tremendously micro managed and you will be told that you are not allowed to learn on the job.

Your boss owns the company, he is very old, and his mind reflects that. He often tells sexist jokes, and I've even heard him use homophobic slurs quite liberally around the office.

The attrition rate at helpstar is an accurate display of how awful of a company it is to work for. The company employs under 50 people, and in the short time I was there I would say that at least 30 people quit, and most of them were so miserable, and unhappy they didn't even give 2 weeks notice.

The office itself is very dark and gloomy, the morale is terrible, you can see the look of despair on the faces of the employees as if their souls have been stolen.

The vacation policy is very strange, you're not allowed to take 1 or 2 days, you must take your vacation in 5 day minimums blocks, and you are only given 10 days. In addition vacation is declined quite often, and it's never easy to get them approved. I always experienced headaches anytime I made a request.

To top it all off the product they sell is not very good and hard to support.
    The software is buggy, and it looks like it hasn't been redesigned since Windows 98.
    It's not just ugly, it's clunky, slow and doesn't work most of the time.

There is little to no potential for growth or promotion within the organization.
    There hasn't been any year end bonuses or annual salary increases for a number of years now and this is due to poor product sales, and lack of new client acquisitions.

I could honestly go and on about how terrible this place is, but at this point I just want to try and forget I ever fell into this hole, and wipe any existence of this miserable experience from my memory.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementFYI, it's 2014, you may want to consider modernizing your policies and procedures.
    Give your staff the freedom to make some decisions, empower them to try new things, learn new methods, be cutting edge.

Stop micro managing, get with the times, look at your turnover rate and ask why is this happening? What is helpstar doing wrong?

Has been a great learning experience. Great company

Developer (Current Employee)
    Oakville, ON (Canada)

ProsInnovative, Every day is exciting & Challenging, Engaging with talented people each and every day.

ConsSometimes a little too chaotic.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to give. Management is very much involved with its employees and does a great job of being transparent.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Fast-paced and collaborative environment

QA Specialist (Current Employee)
    Oakville, ON (Canada)

ProsVery intelligent co-workers across the board driving towards the same vision. A very cooperative and collaborative with a "get it done" attitude

ConsVery fast paced. This isn't a con for me personally, but it could be for others.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up - your enthusiasm and willing to deliver top product and service is contagious!

Management needs effective communication counselling

(Current Employee)

ProsGood team, Convenient parking
    Uncrowded office.

ConsManagement insults and berates ignorantly instead of asking questions and promoting teamwork.
    When you join, team members will quietly warn you about this dysfunction. When I joined, within less than a month, a teammate asked me why I was working there, and warned me I would soon see. Within that month, six people quietly quit. Then I became subjected to it, just as my coworker warned.

Advice to Senior ManagementReflect on your communication style and be responsible for your own insecurities and mistakes.
    Learn to ask questions instead of leading into insults, and humiliating targets ignorantly.
    Be open minded and less hypercritical. Being constructive is key in leadership.
    Taking a bad mood out or insecurity or your lack of direction on an employee is bullying - nobody is perfect, but you need to apologize promptly, or you are truly the weak one. Humbleness is strength.

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

Technical Support (Former Employee)
    Oakville, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are some good people here. Unfortunately, in this case, the bad apples spoil the whole bunch. If you are just starting out, it can be a good learning experience but don't stay long.

ConsThere is no culture. Most people are apathetic or over-worked. Management does not support employee development. There have been no raises or bonuses in well over a year. Your sick days have to be accumulated. Senior staff are condescending and insulting at times likely due to their workload and high stress levels. Projects go way beyond deadline. If you like a place with high employee turnover, then this is your company otherwise run screaming.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

A Breath of Fresh Air

Tech Support/QA (Current Employee)
    Oakville, ON (Canada)

ProsTwo years ago the company was drifting. The major shareholder had semi-retired, and the company seemed to be without much direction. Then the owner stepped back, two of the top execs left, and changes were made. Some of the changes were not easy. Some employees left on their own, others were ‘encouraged’ to leave. I and many of my team mates decided to roll up our sleeves and support a ‘home-grown’ software development company that we can be proud of. We have just released the software, and it's getting great reviews (despite a few 'bumps on the road'). From my perspective, the change has been a positive one. I know many of my fellow employees feel the same.

ConsBeing slow to recognize ‘bad apples’, not quick to recognize bullying behaviour and allowing it to continue for too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet team members interview new hires. Make sure that new hires are team players.

More than a job, work you can be passionate about

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Oakville, ON (Canada)

ProsSecurity - you practically have to be abusive to be terminated.
    Exciting technology, a product launch I can be passionate about.
    Management committed to product success.
    You can feel the excitement of a new product launch
    My manager is a patient mentor

Cons9 to 5'ers can feel like second class performers
    Be prepared to check your ego at the door

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more advice from rank and file

Great Place Because of the Workers

Intermediate Developer (Former Employee)
    Oakville, ON (Canada)

ProsParticipated in exciting cloud based project released in fall. Good team spirit. Weekly social on “Friday at four”. Diverse work environment with fair pay.

ConsDeadlines sometimes require intense effort. Recent restructuring replaced some ‘fat cats’. Some workers felt, but those that remained are dedicated, higher professionals. I had to leave for personal reasons, but would have preferred to continue on cloud development. Some of my team members have been there for more than 12 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistribute more decisions to lower levels. More family events.

Better Work Environment Needed

(Current Employee)

ProsWeekly staff wide meetings to end the work week

ConsIts common knowledge that if you have happy and rewarded employees that they are more likely to be dedicated, loyal and hardworking for a company. This concept is completely lost on the president of this company. When there is an attempt to act on this concept, you are either ignored or targeted for further criticism. There is no one here in upper management that is trustworthy to air out your concerns.

The biggest con of this company is that the current employees have to deal with the fallout of the high turnover in this company with no recognition of hard work. Your workloads are tripled and there is no appreciation for keeping the service and company afloat. In the last year, we have lost 50% of our employees. This turnover rate should be cause for management to look inwards to determine what they can do to retain good employees.

The company has lost sight of what made this company initially successful. We used to have excellent customer service. This is no longer the case because we simply have lost the skilled employees who can provide it. We used to have a product that the company can be proud to promote and support. The product has lost its way and has not improved fast enough to retain our clients.

If a company had one problem (say, poor compensation) it would be okay if it was offset by a great work environment. This company has too many problems to overcome. Unethical management, poor product, no structure make this environment unhealthy to work in for an extended period of time. That’s a shame because when you get hired you want to settle in and grow. It’s very hard to do this here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry hard to retain good people

Worked for HelpSTAR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HelpSTAR reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HelpSTAR CEO Igal Hauer. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by HelpSTAR employees.