Helzberg Diamonds

Be The First To
Add Photos

Helzberg Diamonds Chairman and CEO Beryl B. Raff

Beryl B. Raff

Pros:
  • "Berkshire Hathaway bragging rights"
    in 5 reviews
  • "A decent employee discount as well as intensive training and learning seminars"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The sales goals are unreachable and the commission structure is pitiful"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Upper management and corporates response to concerns about the environment"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Average hourly sales position

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours are great for college students, employee discount is decent and you will learn quite a bit about jewelry.

ConsWorking in sales is not for everyone

Pathetic

Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company seemed to focus on customer service and improving the way the company is seen in the eyes of everyone else.

ConsCompany has no name for itself and expects the same recognition power as like Tiffanys or other large nationwide jewelers. Associates and assistant manager's wages are a joke, I know many MANY people in just simple retail positions who easily make a lot more yet they expect me to wear suits and scold me when my suit is "not high class". After being promoted in a few months my duties tripled yet my waged jumped by the cents.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes the customer is extremely important and without them we are nothing but do not sacrifice your bottom rung associates and make money off them. Ask any current salesman and that person will tell you if they do not feel respected or valued they will not perform. It's just common sense.

deadend job

Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds

Prosbeside having great coworkers the company sucks and upper managemnet

Consyou will not get more money later on, get it when you hire on

I found working for Helzberg frustrating.

Austin, TX

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds

ProsYou get a discount on merchandise.
Flexible work hours.

ConsTraining is weak at best.
Regional manager is condescending and picks favorites

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your sales people with something other than an outdated cheesy video.

Amazingly Waist of time and years

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Evansville, IN

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds

ProsPay is good and that is about it

ConsManagement gets to personal, Favorites are picked by all management on upper and lower levels, commission scale is terrible,

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have someone as an assistant manager maybe training them in the ways of management might be a good suggestion instead of being petty and trying to make their lives miserable. Also try to keep your personal lives away from what kind of job you do.

it a great place to work

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds

Prosit is a great place to work

Consyou will not get more money later on, get it when you hire on!

Awesome place to work

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds

ProsI can have a balanced life

ConsComputers systems are really obsolete

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

very unprofessional and a waste of time

Portland, OR

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds

ProsThey are members of the American Gem Society. There are many different and reasonable price points to work with. The benefit package seems good.

ConsTerrible commission rate ( starting at 1/2 a percent! ) , the goals are hard to obtain and unrealistic during these times. NO training, you really have to figure it all out on your own. Managers and assistant managers are given high goals, so they basically take all the sales. They really mislead me about how things are handled.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be training their sales staff in order to build a strong team. They should never gossip about other employees and talk in detail about their personal lives and problems

Somedays wonderful, some days I can't wait to get out of there.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds

ProsThe discount for employees is excellent. The close relationship between co-workers is nice. They are a very ethical and stable company, part of the Berkshire Hathaway portfolio. They have recently become members of the American Gem Society, and have the latest state of the art tools for looking at and learning about diamonds. They reimburse for training upon completion.

ConsI have found that they lie to you about promotions. They do not pay well, and don't give raises out fairly. Even if you meet and exceed your goals, they always find something to put you down about. Upper management seems to enjoy intimidating employees. They constantly change the rules on how they want you to do things. Way to much gossip and much of it is started from upper management. Constantly passing the buck when mistakes are made. They make huge deals out of minor mistakes. There is a lot of favoritism that goes on. The comission structure is a joke. They have taken away a lot of benefits and perks in the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet better examples from the top down. If upper management wouldn't intimidate store management, I think it would be a better work environment.

Not on your life . . . run for the hills!

Montgomeryville, PA

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds

ProsTraining paid for by company
Single point pricing (or it used to be when I was there) made it easier to work with customers without the hassle of haggling.
Continued training available

ConsDistrict manager basically lies to prospective employees offering them advancement to management or large commission checks . . . none of which ever comes around. Under valued for positive contributions to the company. The new CEO is all about showing how much money she can make the company regardless of how she hurts staff to do so. Less money, less benefits, less everything except for work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe sales associate IS your company. You can't expect to sell a high end product when you're only willing to pay for entry level workers. The best sales staff is looking elsewhere for better pay and a more appreciative environment. Treat your staff well . . . and then watch your sales grow!

Worked for Helzberg Diamonds? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Helzberg Diamonds reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Helzberg Diamonds CEO Beryl B. Raff. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by Helzberg Diamonds employees.