Helzberg Diamonds

Be The First To
Add Photos

Helzberg Diamonds Chairman and CEO Beryl B. Raff

Beryl B. Raff

Pros
  • Berkshire Hathaway bragging rights(in 5 reviews)

• Employee Discount; annual training seminars(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and corporates response to concerns about the environment(in 4 reviews)

• Used to have an awesome commission structure where if you sold a(in 4 reviews)

Killed Dreams of Graduate Gemologist

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsEmployee discount, basic health insurance plans, dental plans, eye care plans, Warren Buffet company, (Burkshire Hathaway.), training seminars.

Cons"Ethics", promotions, overall quality of merchandise, dealing with sexual harassment/harassment in general, commission and pay structure, hours, scheduling, nepotism

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people who have been with the company, not friends of the district managers/regional managers (who have never worked in jewelry), treat employees better, don't take sexual/racist comments lightly and tell female/white/black employees to "not complain to the ethics hotline."

Horrible

ProsNothing! This is a life sucking Career

ConsEverything WAS HORRIBLE!!! Stay Far Away

Advice to Senior ManagementYou Suckk!

Mr. Buffet needs to hear from the employees in the field

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsTraining is about the only thing I can think of.

ConsPoor management at regional and store level, present CEO degraded the company. Sales performance is the only thing that Headquarters cares about in retaining regional managers regardless of how selfserving, underhanded and opportunistic they are. The company has lost it's culture of caring about it's people...... the Helzberg touch which made it a success !

Advice to Senior ManagementStart looking at other things than just the bottom line and profits could actually soar !

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not like it used to be ...... a shame !

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsA decent employee discount as well as intensive training and learning seminars. Usually customers are pretty upbeat and pleasant when treating themselves or buying a special gift.

ConsMerchandise quality deteriorated, very unprofessional management , The company has certainly gone downhil on so many levels. The word "Ethics" is such a joke in so many areas. Very different to 12 years ago when I joined the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a change all the way around , revert to the way Barnett Helzberg ran the company and made it a profitable ..... it's about the people !

Ignorant, disrespectful, underqualified and rude manager

Key Holder (Former Employee) Mays Landing, NJ

ProsUsed to conduct training every 6 month for all employees but I'm pretty sure they stopped that to keep that money for upper management.

ConsEmployees not receiving raises for 9 straight years
    Manager in place who is not right for the position and get's a way with way too much
    All the benefits of employement have been taken away or minimized to an extreme

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to the people placed in management positions, monitor them, review there turnovers, reward employees who are on the front line.

Dissapointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining tools provided and some flexibility for a retail job.

ConsQuality of merchandise has deteriorated along with the mamagement at regional and store levels. Compensation is poor. Ethics and honesty only exist between the company and it's cusomers and is sadly lacking in a lot of it's employees which is totally overlooked by management in most cases.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees ! Most "disgruntled " employees have valid coplaints. Senior management is quite adept at "pulling the wool over the eyes " !

The worst three years of my life

Manager Trainee (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe customers, training through GIA, of course the discounts on jewelry is nice, and it was always nice when we would get free jewelry (the cheap stuff)....

ConsCareer advancement is unheard of. You have a monthly evaluation on your sales. People regularly steal sales, the managers never listen because they don't want to be the bad guy. Associates regularly make fun of people that come into the store. They bash other competitors and claim to have high morals, ethics, and integrity. They claim to not have sales but have them every couple of months. The quality of merchandise has gone downhill. You never ever get a weekend off. It is out of the question...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to appreciate the associates you have. Don't tell them they are doing well after they quit... Tell them while they are still there and somewhat happy.

Very disappointed with the company

Office Associate (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsGood discounts on jewelry, and coworkers are nice to work with

ConsVery unprofessional management, lied about the pay during the interview there's no training and a huge gap between the 10+ experienced employees/management and the new employees. There's very obvious favoritism with management, overall very high stress for a low paying job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to give your employees real training and try to treat everyone fairly.

Absolutely horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty good bridal merchandise; loose diamonds, etc.

ConsThey fail to tell you this during your interview, but the more you make per hour here, the more you have to sell per hour. It's better to make less per hour to not have to deal with the stress of always feeling like you're going to be fired. Also, this company is EXTREMELY DISORGAINIZED, every time there is an event or promotion nobody in upper management or home office can decide how they want the event run, down to the smallest detail. Complete lack of communication on everyone's part. Finally, very unfair in how they treat ALL employees. The 'top dog' is put on a pedastal and continues to be number one if it kills him/her; they will do just about ANYTHING to stay on top, which is totally accepted by management and encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more organized, work smart, not hard. If there is a meeting, make it worthwhile, treat your salespeople like adults instead of children that need their hand held.

Fun and exciting quickly changed to frustrating, horrible, & stressful!

ProsNo goals or pressure to get anything done, pay is not bad for what you do and the employee discount is good.

ConsUpper management and corporates response to concerns about the environment. We have all dealt with various sexual harassment issues from our store manager and assistant manager for a couple of years. Even though we have asked the company for help several times they have ignored us and turned their backs on us. We were recently told it was our fault, its obvious the company does not care about its associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the little people, just because we are not managers does not mean that we are not valuable or should have to come to work to be teased and abused on a daily basis. We tried to tell you and now our lawyer will have to make you listen.

Worked for Helzberg Diamonds? Contribute to the Community!