Helzberg Diamonds

www.helzberg.com
Employer Engaged

A company in constant turmoil as it struggles to discover a true identity

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time

Pros

Pays well for top performers in higher volume stores based on personal sales results. Typically hires some of the better sales associates in the national jewelry sales category.

Cons

Starting base is low for most associates. Technology infrastructure very outdated and behind. Associate and manager expendability has become more common. Enormous amount of expectations imposed on store managers and associates that create a tremendous amount of stress. Not an enjoyable culture or atmosphere.

Listen to the associates in the field. People are the life blood of any business. Company has lost it's once enjoyable and prideful culture. Too many contradictions in policies and performance management.

Ignorant, disrespectful, underqualified and rude manager

Former Employee - Key Holder in Mays Landing, NJ
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Mays Landing, NJ

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Used to conduct training every 6 month for all employees but I'm pretty sure they stopped that to keep that money for upper management.

Cons

Employees not receiving raises for 9 straight years
    Manager in place who is not right for the position and get's a way with way too much
    All the benefits of employement have been taken away or minimized to an extreme

Pay close attention to the people placed in management positions, monitor them, review there turnovers, reward employees who are on the front line.

The worst three years of my life

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in McLean, VA

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers, training through GIA, of course the discounts on jewelry is nice, and it was always nice when we would get free jewelry (the cheap stuff)....

Cons

Career advancement is unheard of. You have a monthly evaluation on your sales. People regularly steal sales, the managers never listen because they don't want to be the bad guy. Associates regularly make fun of people that come into the store. They bash other competitors and claim to have high morals, ethics, and integrity. They claim to not have sales but have them every couple of months. The quality of merchandise has gone downhill. You never ever get a weekend off. It is out of the question...

You need to appreciate the associates you have. Don't tell them they are doing well after they quit... Tell them while they are still there and somewhat happy.

Very disappointed with the company

Current Employee - Office Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Office Associate in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good discounts on jewelry, and coworkers are nice to work with

Cons

Very unprofessional management, lied about the pay during the interview there's no training and a huge gap between the 10+ experienced employees/management and the new employees. There's very obvious favoritism with management, overall very high stress for a low paying job.

Take time to give your employees real training and try to treat everyone fairly.

3 years, started out good, then new CEO began downgrading Mdse and policies in 2010, not good.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

National chain, mostly good people.

Cons

Really went downhill after new CEO in 2010. Quality of mdse, pay policies, commission structure.
    They changed the monthly sales plans 3 times in 2010.

Don't stoop to the other Mall Jewelers level.

As long as you conform to the ways of Helzberg, you will do just fine.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time

Pros

This company holds high ethical standards when it comes to how they conduct business. With so many jewelry stores resorting to dishonest practices in order to make money, it is a real pro that helzberg prohibits it. also offers benefits to fulltime employees, bereavement, and paid vacation after a year of employment.

Cons

It's a very corporate culture here; there is an extensive amount of minuscule rules that are strictly enforced when it comes to how to conduct business and do your job. Sales associates arent given the opportunity to have any real voice or impact on making changes. The hiring process is lengthy and the phone interview asks counter-intuitive questions that seemed to be quite invasive and irrelevant to determining one's present capacity to be a good employee.

Average hourly sales position

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours are great for college students, employee discount is decent and you will learn quite a bit about jewelry.

Cons

Working in sales is not for everyone

Pathetic

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company seemed to focus on customer service and improving the way the company is seen in the eyes of everyone else.

Cons

Company has no name for itself and expects the same recognition power as like Tiffanys or other large nationwide jewelers. Associates and assistant manager's wages are a joke, I know many MANY people in just simple retail positions who easily make a lot more yet they expect me to wear suits and scold me when my suit is "not high class". After being promoted in a few months my duties tripled yet my waged jumped by the cents.

Yes the customer is extremely important and without them we are nothing but do not sacrifice your bottom rung associates and make money off them. Ask any current salesman and that person will tell you if they do not feel respected or valued they will not perform. It's just common sense.

deadend job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds

Pros

beside having great coworkers the company sucks and upper managemnet

Cons

you will not get more money later on, get it when you hire on
    Favorites are picked by all management on upper and lower levels, commission scale is terrible,
    have found that they lie to you about promotions. They do not pay well, and don't give raises out fairly. Even if you meet and exceed your goals, they always find something to put you down about. Upper management seems to enjoy intimidating employees. They constantly change the rules on how they want you to do things. Way to much gossip and much of it is started from upper management. Constantly passing the buck when mistakes are made.

I found working for Helzberg frustrating.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds

Pros

You get a discount on merchandise.
    Flexible work hours.

Cons

Training is weak at best.
    Regional manager is condescending and picks favorites

Train your sales people with something other than an outdated cheesy video.