Hendrick Automotive Group

Add Photos

Edward J. (Ed) Brown III

Great Company With Questionable Future

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsHistorically was a great place. Very strong benefits if grandfathered in. Good comp if in the right areas and you can sacrifice all time.

ConsSweeping salary reductions to increase corporate bottom line. Less family culture than that preached by Sr. and Exec. Management. Terrible work/life balance if you have or want a family. Sales consultants treated as quick expendable numbers. Constant in-your-face with execs big earnings and car collections while many struggle to make ends meet. Execs have great holidays, not others. Downhill since shifting CEO assignment to the once fired banking exec.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace the once positive culture.

overall good experience but could have been better

Auto Body (Former Employee) Concord, NC

Proshealth plan and benefits were great and had an average deductible.

Conscontinual change and re-metamorphosis of business ideals, practices usually on a weekly status. main idea was if it didn't work last week lets change it this week.

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out a stable line of business practice and stay in that direction.

Started out great but was way too stressful.

Sales (Former Employee) Concord, NC

ProsExtremely clean and nice facilities. New building. Some of my fellow employees were very nice. Excellent product to sale. Very well organized. No shortage of product to sale.

ConsQuotas of sales were too high based on the number of people walking into the dealership and way too many salespeople. Lots of disagreements between salesman because too many salespeople for too few customers. I was promised pay that I never got for going to Raleigh and other locations to pick up cars and bring to the dealership. Be careful if they promise you extra pay for moving cars around, because I never got it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to not promise something if you cannot do it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Driving Performance

Sales (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsConstantly changing day to day.....The weather, the variable clientele, timing and market conditions keep things moving.....Upbeat place to work, a good team of folks with positive mental attitudes. Not your average work place environment. If you like automobiles it is a lot to see, touch and feel.

ConsHours can be long at times, saturdays are mandatory work day but there is plenty of time off when you want it. The biggest two stressers are being 100 % commissions so when it is slow it can be a lean month. The other negative is learning how to handle rejection and negative clients that don't care about you or your time....at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings are a changing due to the customer becoming more educated and expects more openness. Market Based pricing is here and the old guard methods of playing games with the "real " price are disappearing. As we all get on the same page customers and employers the sales should increase along with the salaries. Retaining excellent employees should be a priority in order to meet the company goal of doubling in the next 10 years.

A Core Philosophy of Integrity and Values

BDC Manager (Former Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsIn the Business Development Center, the opportunity to make a great living is possible with hard work and determination. It's enjoyable to talk to customers & help them set appointments to get assistance. Excellent training!

ConsDepending on which franchised Dealership you're in, the management can lack storewide communication leaving "underlings" feeling highly unappreciated; our ideas are not valued for continuous process improvement, at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementALL store managers should communicate; from the greatest to the least so everyone is on the same page and never should anyone be forced to tell "scripted" lies to potential customers just to get them in the door. It's contrary to R.H. Core Values.

Hendrick Automotive, specifically Hendrick Lexus Northlake (Huntersville, NC) -- 1 star because you can't give 0

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Huntersville, NC

ProsIt COULD be a good place to work if they treated people with respect, but they don't. Preferential treatment and inconsistencies in procedures and deal handling result in inconsistent performance in sales, which is then blamed on the sales staff. There is minimal marketing of the brand and store. Managers treat customers like their time is not valuable and often treat the deals like a game. Customers get pissed off and realize that they can almost always get more value at other area Lexus dealerships, but then it's the sales associate who is blamed for not making the sale. Managers are not held accountable for their failure in making the deals that are attractive to buyers.

ConsTaken straight from their "Meet the staff" webpage: "A Culture Of Caring.

Our working environment nurtures individual support and positive reinforcement, making us unique in the automotive industry.

By fostering interpersonal synergy, we enable our team members to take care of Hendrick Lexus guests in world-class fashion and demonstrate how truly different we are.

We live our values of respect, integrity, teamwork, honesty and trust every day with every guest, treating each one as a valued member of our extended family. Meet the staff members who have created the culture of caring that sets us apart."
    Sadly this is nothing but a sales pitch and huge LIE! There is no nurturing of anyone or anything. There is NO individual support. There is NO positive reinforcement.

Management is constantly power-tripping and openly said in meetings that if you don't like it,there's the door.
    Management needs retraining. One on ones are not the place to compare staff to one another, especially by name. Associate reviews and related documentation should not be left out in the open on manager's desks for others to see; regardless of it being positive or negative, it's private and should be treated as such.
    Management, rather than coaching and providing positive feedback and constructive guidance, prefers to threaten and bully people. Sales associates are treated like scum, unless you're the top performer.
    Management does NOT encourage a team environment, in fact, they isolate lower performers and ostracize them. They reprimand others who talk to them or engage them. It's an extremely demeaning and unprofessional atmosphere.
    Management is not on the same page with one another or sales associates. One manager will tell someone to do something, another manager will tell that same associate to do something completely opposite -- then no matter what, the associate is wrong.
    These and other matters have been brought up to managers in meetings but very little has changed. They still treat people in an unprofessional and demeaning manner. They do not respect people's time. Sales associates may come in early and stay late, but then if you need to take time off it's a problem. The dealership is closed on Sundays, but in the past, with MINIMAL notice (as in 1 day) management will state that the dealership will be open on a Sunday and it is required that everyone be there. This is a commission based position but NO ADDITIONAL compensation is given for working unscheduled, unplanned days like this. There is NO work life balance, unless of course you're a manager or the top sales person.
    Management has instructed sales people to tell customers lies about other dealerships. If you have worked at another dealership that a customer mentions they are also shopping, management has instructed sales staff to tell customers negative things about the other dealerships and their products.
    Management does not support the Hendrick core values. There's no integrity, there's no teamwork, there's nothing positive about Hendrick Lexus Northlake. Go to Johnson or Flow for better treatment and a more positive experience regardless if you're a customer or an employee.
    Management does not distribute extreme deals, ups or appointments consistently. There are some sales associates who are favored so they receive the most deals. Others who are not favored or who are being ostracized rarely receive any deals. There is no fairness in distribution, it's all based on favor.
    Additionally, managers regularly retaliate against people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee "Cons". This management team needs to be gutted and rebuilt with experienced and mature leadership. This dealership has gone downhill in the last 6 - 8 months and has become a very negative and toxic place to be. The current management team is a waste of space with their daily meetings that last for hours and during this time they are inaccessible to sales associates. Customers get irritated with having to wait only to be jerked around. Sales associates are tired of being held responsible for the inconsistencies and immaturity in management. We've lost a considerable number of deals over petty games that management plays with customers. When customers can go to Audi or other mid or high-line stores, like some of your own managers and staff have to buy a new car, why do you think they would put up with the games and lack of respect you offer at Lexus?

great place to work and grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosopportunities for advancement. great training!

Conshours are tough on the family

Advice to Senior Managementtreat salespeople like family

Awful! A very negative experience!

All Around (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsNone. very negative overall experience!

ConsBunch of cheats! Don't trust this bunch of bandits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a real life! Your strutting impresses nobody!

The Hendrick Organization is a great place to work.

Sales and Finance Specialist (Current Employee) Hickory, NC

ProsThe Hendrick Organization has great benefits and for the most part, puts their employees first. At Hendrick, they are constantly training new and long time employees to help them be motivated, inspired and up to date with Hendrick policies and procedures. Free employee health and dental insurance after 6 months of continued employment, along with a 401K plan that matches 2% if contributing 4%. If you work hard and are consistence, you could maintain $4,000+ a month in gross.

ConsWorking in the sales and/or finance departments, it does require alot of hours, including nights, weekends and Sundays.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistance and fair....and it would be nice to feel appreciated at times.

My career progression at HAG has definitely been a journey.

Management (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsBest run organization in the automotive retail sector
    Aggressive comp plans
    Culture

ConsAggressive (unrealistic) pay plans
    Promotions are not always the right pick
    Upper management are often too disconnected from day to day

Advice to Senior ManagementIf people are your strength, say thank you, give them a high five for a job well done, don't flash your latest purchases in front of the people that have paid for it through your cost cutting initiates I.E pay plan changes

Worked for Hendrick Automotive Group? Contribute to the Community!