Hendrick Automotive Group Reviews

Edward J. (Ed) Brown III

They call it a dungeon

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

They pay for your health insurance 100% The individuals in the accounting department are good folks, although disgruntled about the company.

Cons

No Growth potential. Individuals in accounting have never been promoted and never received a raise for 10+ years. Micromanaged to the extreme.

2. Started out great but was way too stressful.

Former Employee - Sales in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Concord, NC

I worked at Hendrick Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely clean and nice facilities. New building. Some of my fellow employees were very nice. Excellent product to sale. Very well organized. No shortage of product to sale.

Cons

Quotas of sales were too high based on the number of people walking into the dealership and way too many salespeople. Lots of disagreements between salesman because too many salespeople for too few customers. I was promised pay that I never got for going to Raleigh and other locations to pick up cars and bring to the dealership. Be careful if they promise you extra pay for moving cars around, because I never got it.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to not promise something if you cannot do it.

3. Service

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

There's no way you can get fired.

Cons

Pay is terrible. Prepare to work hard with little to no reward.

Advice to Management

I'm absolutely sure they know what needs to been done.

5. Large company with little room for growth

Former Employee - Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Large company, employee perks available

Cons

No room for growth, shift work, corporate, superiority outlook

Run. Don't Walk. Run the Other Way!

Former Employee - Sales in Merriam, KS
    Former Employee - Sales in Merriam, KS

I worked at Hendrick Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Earning Power-If you are willing to work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, then you can make $80k a year. However, as one GM put it, "the days of cars sales professionals earning $100k a year is over". They might say that they want you to make money, the truth is, they are going to over staff the dealership with too many sales people that very few people have the chance to make a decent income.

Cons

Hours-too many. commission structure-in the dealers favor, not yours. work environment- do you like to be belittled? Advancement- there is no room for advancement unless you are related to someone at the top, you're a minority, or you are a woman. More concerned with looking good than doing good.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and realize who is really doing the heavy lifting.

Thrown to the wolves

Former Employee - Sales/Client Advisor in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Sales/Client Advisor in Cary, NC

I worked at Hendrick Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are certainly good things about working anywhere, and Hendrick is no exception. You are allowed a lunch time and everyday there is potential to earn. Also, I only worked at one dealership so I do not want to bad mouth all of them. There could be a very different way of things at other locations.

Cons

From the first moment, you are let loose in the dealership to "train" by watching others and picking things up as you go. Very, very casual environment that has sales people wondering around uninterested and not seeming very excited about selling. The whole place was a downer. The level of actual training was about 2% of the time I was there. You needed to train by doing, which meant a sale could and would be lost as you stumbled through the process. Oh, and the commission scale was a joke...earning a mere $20 for the first sale! It goes up, but really is not motivating in the least.

Advice to Management

Train your staff! Take real time, with scheduled classes and real review of relevant materials to get them on the sales floor in a timely manner. Much time is wasted trying to learn on your own.

Which bill should I pay?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoover, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoover, AL

I have been working at Hendrick Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that you meet here are good hearted southern people with great hearts. They have become great friends and almost like family. I love the hours I work and this position is not micromanaged which is also a plus.

Cons

I am struggling to live off of what I am being paid working here. My current income does not allow me to do much of anything outside of work and I am sometimes forced to choose which bill to pay. This company also does not promote within or do they let you know when a position comes available.

9. Lack of communication

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Hendrick Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good compensation package and pay plan.

Cons

Daily drama, lack of process and constant finger pointing. Unbelievable amount of paperwork on each deal.

Advice to Management

Dont ask for constructive criticism if you dont want a honest response. It was the most unprofessional place I've ever worked. Understand the road to a sale instead of reinventing the wheel every other day.

10. Extremely Political

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hendrick Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pretty decent benefits throughout the company if you stay for a long enough time, some of the desk managers you can get a long with pretty easy. Pretty good group of "core" sales people that have been there over 10 years. Willing to help you when they can.

Cons

pay isn't as good as it should be, to many "pay plan changes" happen throughout course of the year. I had 3 in 6 months. If you succeed they strip you of your money. Work way to many hours for the amount that your earn. Terrible upper management all the way to the top. Don't file and HR complaint or you will be fired. Tough environment if your not ready for a fast paced work place. Cultures and Values of the dealership are all smoke in mirrors. They tell you one thing and completely do the other behind your back.

Advice to Management

listen to your people, don't just have pre conceived notions about everyone

RSS Feed </> Embed