Hendrick Medical Center Reviews

11 years of hell

Former Employee - Technician in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in Abilene, TX

I worked at Hendrick Medical Center

Pros

In today's economy... It's a job. Lots of good people to work with. You just can't trust any of them....

Cons

It's a big high school. Constant gossip traveling the halls. Even the cafeteria is a reminder of school. Various clicks sitting at the same tables everyday. And if you do not live a lifestyle they see fit then You have a target on your back. Management ask employees for ideas on how to improve and even form committees, but in the end they do what is financially beneficial instead of improving quality of care. If you need a job in healthcare, look else where.

Advice to Management

Quit controlling your employees like they do people in north Korea. Your employees are the back bone of any business. How many good employees do you have to run off before you realize your treating them like dirt?

Politics

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Abilene, TX

I worked at Hendrick Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get in. Hours are decent.

Cons

Unless you know someone you will never advance in this hospital. It's about who you know and not what you know. Politics play a huge part in this job. Interviewing for advancement doesn't mean a thing unless you know someone. If they "like" you, you're in. If not, you're screwed. The pay is also the worse when it comes to the medical field. They spend so much money on the hospital but yet, cut back overtime opportunities, pay, raises and bonuses. Short staffed, constant call-ins and hiring the wrong kind of people make this a difficult environment to work in.

Advice to Management

If you're going to ask for opinions then take them into consideration. Train your employees well so they feel comfortable working. Throwing people out there isn't going to benefit the patients or the hospital. Your patients are people not a number. This hospital has fallen far from the family environment. Greed has taken over and this is why people look down at this hospital.

3. Awful place to work if you're not a specialist.

I worked at Hendrick Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, starbucks, quiznos, and a fifth word.

Cons

Leadership, pay, pettiness, and hive mentality.

5. My experience at hendrick has been very disapointing.

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center

Pros

I enjoy some of the people I work with and my patients.

Cons

I don't make enough money for what I do. My boss is biased, if the peons have issues at work she shrugs it off but if the nurses have issues then we get confronted about it. Some of our nurses are too lazy. If they wanted to sit around and be lazy they shouldn't have went to school for nursing,

Advice to Management

I wish management would stop being tight wads and start paying a decent wage and I wish they would hire nurses that want to do their job,

Opportunities for some employees

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center

Pros

There are a few outstanding employees. The hospital's reputation.

Cons

Many employes are slackers, bullies, or sluggishly preparing for retirement. Bully coworkers and managers. Don't be fooled by the bullies who cloak themselves with a cross, scripture, and in church attendance. They can be surprisingly cruel. Many have worked here for 25+ years and aren't interested in considering other approaches. Close-minded. They haven't worked anywhere else to see other approaches used. Closed to outsiders. If you aren't from here, don't look like them, dress like them, talk like them, or eat like them, you are viewed negatively.

Advice to Management

Be fair. Get out on the front lines periodically to see how work really gets done. Don't waste time asking for suggestions for improvement if you don't plan to do anything with it.

7. Can not in good concious recommend to others for work or certin types of care

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center

Pros

Generally have equipment to work with.

Cons

Poor supervisors support, supervisor not visible, lack of communication

Advice to Management

More visibility, more positive attitude, more positive role models. Less lateral violence in the work place.

There's room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hendrick is a hospital that serves surrounding the counties. Many patients who come to the Trauma Center do not see a Primary Care Physician. The Trauma Center "is" their Primary Physician. Some parts of the hospital are new and fresh and look nice.

Cons

Some older parts of the facility look worn, sad, run down, and depressing. Also, many visitors look lost and ask for directions. Improved signage could help them get to their destinations more easily. The cafeteria seating area is dirty and crowded. Many visitors and employees come to the cafeteria to enjoy a few minutes before getting back to work or caring for loved ones.

Advice to Management

1) A fresh coat of paint (not a dull, drab color) -- different colors based on which wing it is -- and new flooring would do wonders. It doesn't have to be expensive, just new and fresh and easy to clean. 2) Install clear signage/directions for visitors and new employees to help them get to their desired destinations. 3) Reinstall/replace the sliding glass door that doesn't seal properly, that allows insects, leaves, and trash to enter the hospital. 4) Remove carpeting and fabric on chairs in cafeteria. You can't sanitize fabric or carpet. Install seating and vinyl or tile that can easily be cleaned and sanitized. You can't keep the cafeteria too clean.

Night Shift

Current Employee - Transporter Night Shift in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Transporter Night Shift in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent hours, employees around the hospital are fairly nice,

Cons

Very little trust in management, watch your back

Advice to Management

If you are going to get mad at one get mad at all who are guilty of the same or worse.

10. I was able to apply and advance my skills at this job.

I worked at Hendrick Medical Center

Pros

Very friendly staff and felt like we had each others backs. I felt like as a department we shared knowledge and worked well together.

Cons

felt like role wasnt as respected but some of the other staff and our knowledge wasnt utilized to its full potential

Advice to Management

Respiratory deserves more pay and prn employyes that work close to full time hours should be allowed more absences

11. Local hospital, largest employer in area

Former Employee - Marketing in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Abilene, TX

I worked at Hendrick Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to move up in the company if you are willing to stay there for a while. The HR team works really hard for employee engagement and there are several opportunities year round to get involved. The new additions of the hospital have also been great!

Cons

Pay could be more, but it is decent for the area. Friendly environment facilitated through the Gallup survey's that employees are required to take. Parking can be some what annoying.

Advice to Management

I was fortunate to see my manager constantly and that aiding in me exceeding. I always felt that I was apart of the team.

RSS Feed </> Embed