Hennepin County Medical Center Reviews

David Jones

1. Okay

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice Benefits (PTO, Tuition Reimbursement, Not Expensive Health Insurance) Employees take pride in their work Hospital does good work Pay is good

Cons

Not room to grow in my position Promotions in department are selected based on favoritism and personal relationships Problems do not get solved Lack of communication between departments

2. Progressive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

HCMC had a great culture of being patient-centered. Beyond that, I found the organization quite adept at trying new programs, initiatives and different ways of looking at things.

Cons

There are some issues of accountability across the organization, but nothing different from anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Find opportunities for your emerging leaders or you will lose them quickly.

3. Amazing public service institution

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center as a contractor

Pros

Tireless care for the poor, indigent and most needy sector. Amazing programs with impact on the entire region including disaster preparedness, ER docs that risk their lives saving patients in the field, traumatic brain injury program that tries to prevent injuries, houses the poison center for the state

Cons

Not enough resources to support all the needed programs

Advice to Management

relentlessly lobby the public on the need for universal access to care. Those fighting Obamacare include insurance companies and those that profit from the status quo.

5. Fantastic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Patient and family centered organization

Cons

No free parking at the downtown campus

Advice to Management

Lead instead of managing

6. Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, innovative colleagues, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Routine, bureaucratic, difficult to get things done that have meaningful impact

7. Lack of good caring managers only worried about what they can do that makes them look good.

Current Employee - Lab in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Lab in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I get paid on time and have decent benefits.

Cons

Time off is impossible. Issues of daily workplace are not addressed in a timely manner. Too much politics, clicks and silo mentality amoung management.

Advice to Management

Unless their is an epiphany and change of heart and soul by mangement to care not only for their staff who gives excellent care to the patient high turn over will ensue.

8. I worked in the Emergency Department. I loved my job, my coworkers, and the mission we stood for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I think The emergency department can be a wonderful place to work depending on your supervisor and the management. I believe in the mission statement! The doctors and residents are knowledgeable, compassionate, and always striving for the best for the patient. Never have I seen care compromise at all on the basis of an economic level or insurance or lack of insurance! Most of the staff takes pride in their work. They work diligently and hard in the care on behalf of the patient!

Cons

Huge issues with management. Constant turnover in management positions in the last 5 years. Management is huge on micromanaging. My manager wanted me to dummy down, do less work, and not to excel any further in my job. Management needs to talk to the employees more often about their jobs and what the job expectations are especially when your new or don't know! Huge turnover in employees. Over half to three quarters of the long-term employees have left the building, and management Allowed their knowledge and experience to walk out the door! Most of the nursing staff is young and inexperienced. There is a constant turnover with nurses and healthcare assistance. Consistency is lacking, knowledge and experience is limited which is completely unfortunate!

Advice to Management

Huge lack of communication with The employees. Rarely did management discuss or confer with The employees about development, changes, ideas to improve the function and experience for the patients in the emergency department. Management tends to micromanage. Management needs to macro manage and allow the employees to excel to their best abilities, not stifle them in fear and trepidation. Listen to the employees about their experiences and knowledge in their job class especially when change and or development of new ideas are needed.

9. Hennepin County Medical Center

Current Employee - Staff Neonatologist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Staff Neonatologist in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Mission driven organization with outstanding clinical providers.

Cons

High percentage of medicaid and medicare patients puts a financial stress on organization.

Advice to Management

Reach out to communities where patients come from to better understand their social determinants of health

10. HCMC is one of the best hospital to work in the downtown minneapolis area in Minnesota. The organization have a great work ethics and their care is centered around family. Working there is a privilege.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a very great health benefits. Motivating salary, and incentives for well job done.

Cons

They organization should try to balance the patient to nurse ratio in terms of staffing.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work going.

11. This was a very rewarding education experience

Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you gain a lot of knowledge and it teaches you to want to give more for those in need

Cons

Getting management to listen to employees input

Advice to Management

please listen to the people who do the job because somethings look good from a distance but there are some things that do not work well when you actually are doing them.

RSS Feed </> Embed