www.hcmc.org

Updated October 23, 2014
3.2

David Jones

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

HCMC is one of the best hospital to work in the downtown minneapolis area in Minnesota. The organization have a great work ethics and their care is centered around family. Working there is a privilege.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a very great health benefits. Motivating salary, and incentives for well job done.

Cons

They organization should try to balance the patient to nurse ratio in terms of staffing.

Keep the good work going.

This was a very rewarding education experience

Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you gain a lot of knowledge and it teaches you to want to give more for those in need

Cons

Getting management to listen to employees input

please listen to the people who do the job because somethings look good from a distance but there are some things that do not work well when you actually are doing them.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people who are compassionate about patients

Cons

costly parking and congested location

communications to employees of all levels helps to create a team atmosphere.

Great staff and great work being done while in leadership transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

We have really great, talented, and compassionate staff. I love that we are a teaching and learning hospital. There is really some great work being done here and, as we are transitioning leadership, we have a great opportunity to change how we are engaged within our community.

Cons

Currently we are transitioning leadership with new management and new staff. Change can be scary, but I'm hoping for the best. A lot of older employees have been here a very long time and need to choose between retiring or continuing to work.

Encourage more employee growth and team cohesiveness - continue with the positive changes you are making and help us strive for excellence in every area so we can become a better hospital all together

Care and compassion

Current Employee - Lactation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Lactation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The people at HCMC really CARE about the people we serve.

Cons

It is a BIG organization, sometimes change is difficult to accomplish.

Flexible and great benefits, super stressful at times.

Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits package, great health insurance for individuals. Some amazing people work here and keep the place afloat. Cool location and mission, great medical library with tons of educational resources and super helpful staff.

Cons

Wretched management, high turnover, and random firings when departments are planning improvements, which significantly stalls upgrades and delays progress.

Way too much favoritism, and ironically, the 'favorites' are the worst employees. The more trained and skilled you are, the more they work you to the max to cover the slack of the inept, chronic sick callers, & FMLA abusers (there's a lot).

Possibly the worst human resources department I've ever had to deal with. I wouldn't even give them a job at McDonald's mopping floors if they volunteered. They frequently lose critical paper work, and viciously hunt out good employees for the most trivial issues, while ignoring the worst, do nothing employees.

Pull it together and show better direction. I've seen too many wonderful people leave here due to confusing tactics and promotion of bad workers. It really deals a huge blow to morale and you're practically encouraging bad work habits.

Clean up the hospital's imagine, it's known to area residents as a place to get pain killers, and frequent dealing is done in plain sight of visitors and patients.

Encourage overweight smoking staff to not smoke at the emergency room entrance and up their insurance premiums. Better yet, fire them, it's embarrassing, unwelcoming, and hypocritical.

I am a staff nurse mostly working nights.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If possible, managers try to be flexible with work schedules to accomadate life schedule. Good health benefits and scheduling preference at clinics for employees. New leadership seems to be trying to change the culture.

Cons

Lack of communication system wide. Improving culture but "it's not my job" is a frequent refrain. Issues take so long to get resolved that it appears they do not get resolved. Supervisors and managers that do not always understand the jobs they are managing.

Learning and self improvement oportunities are scheduled around a day shift perspective even though the hospital is open 24/7. Job sharing should be an option. Continuing education is only encouraged if it means getting a degree or certificate. On site, off hours daycare would be fabulous.

Unethical behavior supported by management and staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time

Pros

The pension is a plus, but that's only if you're able to become vested. The educational opportunities available to employees were also a nice perk.

Cons

1.) Unethical behavior supported by management. 2.) Poor communication by lower-level management. 3.) Backstabbing and spreading rumors by co-workers.

I've known several former employees who were wonderful at their jobs but burnout got the best of them because of the lower level management and low morale. You're losing good employees and I suggest you find a way to fix it soon.

Great pension if you can handle staying there long enough to be vested.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great pension, if you can handle staying their long enough to be vested.

Cons

Horrible working conditions, unsafe work environments, constantly changing peoples roles, laying off, demoting, and not following through on improvements.

Hold people accountable.

Top Level Benefits

Former Employee - Principal Office Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Principal Office Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best benefits of any job I've had, top pay, and great people!

Cons

It's a hospital so lots of sick people so you must be good at keeping yourself well.

Have 1 on 1's monthly with your employees. Check in with them, even though they are getting paid well, just see how they are doing.

Hennepin County Medical Center Photos

Our new state-of-the-art Center for Hyperbaric Medicine opened in 2012 and is comprised of three multiplace chambers and one monoplace chamber
Located in downtown Minneapolis