Hennepin County Medical Center

Hennepin County Medical Center Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Jun 29, 2014

David Jones

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great staff and great work being done while in leadership transition

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsWe have really great, talented, and compassionate staff. I love that we are a teaching and learning hospital. There is really some great work being done here and, as we are transitioning leadership, we have a great opportunity to change how we are engaged within our community.

ConsCurrently we are transitioning leadership with new management and new staff. Change can be scary, but I'm hoping for the best. A lot of older employees have been here a very long time and need to choose between retiring or continuing to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more employee growth and team cohesiveness - continue with the positive changes you are making and help us strive for excellence in every area so we can become a better hospital all together

Care and compassion

Lactation Consultant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe people at HCMC really CARE about the people we serve.

ConsIt is a BIG organization, sometimes change is difficult to accomplish.

I am a staff nurse mostly working nights.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsIf possible, managers try to be flexible with work schedules to accomadate life schedule. Good health benefits and scheduling preference at clinics for employees. New leadership seems to be trying to change the culture.

ConsLack of communication system wide. Improving culture but "it's not my job" is a frequent refrain. Issues take so long to get resolved that it appears they do not get resolved. Supervisors and managers that do not always understand the jobs they are managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearning and self improvement oportunities are scheduled around a day shift perspective even though the hospital is open 24/7. Job sharing should be an option. Continuing education is only encouraged if it means getting a degree or certificate. On site, off hours daycare would be fabulous.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible and great benefits, super stressful at times.

BA MA (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsAwesome benefits package, great health insurance for individuals. Some amazing people work here and keep the place afloat. Cool location and mission, great medical library with tons of educational resources and super helpful staff.

ConsWretched management, high turnover, and random firings when departments are planning improvements, which significantly stalls upgrades and delays progress.

Way too much favoritism, and ironically, the 'favorites' are the worst employees. The more trained and skilled you are, the more they work you to the max to cover the slack of the inept, chronic sick callers, & FMLA abusers (there's a lot).

Possibly the worst human resources department I've ever had to deal with. I wouldn't even give them a job at McDonald's mopping floors if they volunteered. They frequently lose critical paper work, and viciously hunt out good employees for the most trivial issues, while ignoring the worst, do nothing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull it together and show better direction. I've seen too many wonderful people leave here due to confusing tactics and promotion of bad workers. It really deals a huge blow to morale and you're practically encouraging bad work habits.

Clean up the hospital's imagine, it's known to area residents as a place to get pain killers, and frequent dealing is done in plain sight of visitors and patients.

Encourage overweight smoking staff to not smoke at the emergency room entrance and up their insurance premiums. Better yet, fire them, it's embarrassing, unwelcoming, and hypocritical.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Unethical behavior supported by management and staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe pension is a plus, but that's only if you're able to become vested. The educational opportunities available to employees were also a nice perk.

Cons1.) Unethical behavior supported by management. 2.) Poor communication by lower-level management. 3.) Backstabbing and spreading rumors by co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've known several former employees who were wonderful at their jobs but burnout got the best of them because of the lower level management and low morale. You're losing good employees and I suggest you find a way to fix it soon.

Great pension if you can handle staying there long enough to be vested.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat pension, if you can handle staying their long enough to be vested.

ConsHorrible working conditions, unsafe work environments, constantly changing peoples roles, laying off, demoting, and not following through on improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people accountable.

Top Level Benefits

Principal Office Specialist (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsBest benefits of any job I've had, top pay, and great people!

ConsIt's a hospital so lots of sick people so you must be good at keeping yourself well.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave 1 on 1's monthly with your employees. Check in with them, even though they are getting paid well, just see how they are doing.

It was a great place to work at and good people to work with while I was an employee.

Communication Operation (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat place to work wish I still did

ConsNone that I see at all

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great mission and people!

Systems Analyst III (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe organizations mission and the dedication of the staff to serve the local community. Great benefits and pay.

ConsDis-functional departments and too many silos. Managers do not seem to understand what is going on within their department or outside their department. Lack of growth opportunities. If you are ambitious I will recommend to try to lean as much as you can about the department you are join to make sure it is a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on breaking down the silos that exist through out the organization. The place is been managed as a government entity and not as a not for profit focused on providing efficient and cost effective services. Too much waste. Also increase the focus on the outreach to more paying patients.

Poor management, constant turnover and chaos.

Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsDecent Benefits, not much more.

ConsManagement, Scheduling, shortages of staffing, professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees who are there to actually work should be rewarded and used as the example and not taken advantage of and abused for those that just take up space.

Worked for Hennepin County Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!