Hennepin County Medical Center

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people who are compassionate about patients

Cons

costly parking and congested location

communications to employees of all levels helps to create a team atmosphere.

Great staff and great work being done while in leadership transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

We have really great, talented, and compassionate staff. I love that we are a teaching and learning hospital. There is really some great work being done here and, as we are transitioning leadership, we have a great opportunity to change how we are engaged within our community.

Cons

Currently we are transitioning leadership with new management and new staff. Change can be scary, but I'm hoping for the best. A lot of older employees have been here a very long time and need to choose between retiring or continuing to work.

Encourage more employee growth and team cohesiveness - continue with the positive changes you are making and help us strive for excellence in every area so we can become a better hospital all together

Care and compassion

Current Employee - Lactation Consultant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Lactation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The people at HCMC really CARE about the people we serve.

Cons

It is a BIG organization, sometimes change is difficult to accomplish.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am a staff nurse mostly working nights.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If possible, managers try to be flexible with work schedules to accomadate life schedule. Good health benefits and scheduling preference at clinics for employees. New leadership seems to be trying to change the culture.

Cons

Lack of communication system wide. Improving culture but "it's not my job" is a frequent refrain. Issues take so long to get resolved that it appears they do not get resolved. Supervisors and managers that do not always understand the jobs they are managing.

Learning and self improvement oportunities are scheduled around a day shift perspective even though the hospital is open 24/7. Job sharing should be an option. Continuing education is only encouraged if it means getting a degree or certificate. On site, off hours daycare would be fabulous.

Flexible and great benefits, super stressful at times.

Current Employee - BA MA  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Awesome benefits package, great health insurance for individuals. Some amazing people work here and keep the place afloat. Cool location and mission, great medical library with tons of educational resources and super helpful staff.

Cons

Wretched management, high turnover, and random firings when departments are planning improvements, which significantly stalls upgrades and delays progress.

Way too much favoritism, and ironically, the 'favorites' are the worst employees. The more trained and skilled you are, the more they work you to the max to cover the slack of the inept, chronic sick callers, & FMLA abusers (there's a lot).

Possibly the worst human resources department I've ever had to deal with. I wouldn't even give them a job at McDonald's mopping floors if they volunteered. They frequently lose critical paper work, and viciously hunt out good employees for the most trivial issues, while ignoring the worst, do nothing employees.

Pull it together and show better direction. I've seen too many wonderful people leave here due to confusing tactics and promotion of bad workers. It really deals a huge blow to morale and you're practically encouraging bad work habits.

Clean up the hospital's imagine, it's known to area residents as a place to get pain killers, and frequent dealing is done in plain sight of visitors and patients.

Encourage overweight smoking staff to not smoke at the emergency room entrance and up their insurance premiums. Better yet, fire them, it's embarrassing, unwelcoming, and hypocritical.

Unethical behavior supported by management and staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time

Pros

The pension is a plus, but that's only if you're able to become vested. The educational opportunities available to employees were also a nice perk.

Cons

1.) Unethical behavior supported by management. 2.) Poor communication by lower-level management. 3.) Backstabbing and spreading rumors by co-workers.

I've known several former employees who were wonderful at their jobs but burnout got the best of them because of the lower level management and low morale. You're losing good employees and I suggest you find a way to fix it soon.

Great pension if you can handle staying there long enough to be vested.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pension, if you can handle staying their long enough to be vested.

Cons

Horrible working conditions, unsafe work environments, constantly changing peoples roles, laying off, demoting, and not following through on improvements.

Hold people accountable.

Top Level Benefits

Former Employee - Principal Office Specialist  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Principal Office Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best benefits of any job I've had, top pay, and great people!

Cons

It's a hospital so lots of sick people so you must be good at keeping yourself well.

Have 1 on 1's monthly with your employees. Check in with them, even though they are getting paid well, just see how they are doing.

It was a great place to work at and good people to work with while I was an employee.

Former Employee - Communication Operation  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Communication Operation in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work wish I still did

Cons

None that I see at all

Keep up the good work

Great mission and people!

Current Employee - Systems Analyst III  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The organizations mission and the dedication of the staff to serve the local community. Great benefits and pay.

Cons

Dis-functional departments and too many silos. Managers do not seem to understand what is going on within their department or outside their department. Lack of growth opportunities. If you are ambitious I will recommend to try to lean as much as you can about the department you are join to make sure it is a good fit.

Focus on breaking down the silos that exist through out the organization. The place is been managed as a government entity and not as a not for profit focused on providing efficient and cost effective services. Too much waste. Also increase the focus on the outreach to more paying patients.

Hennepin County Medical Center Photos

Our new state-of-the-art Center for Hyperbaric Medicine opened in 2012 and is comprised of three multiplace chambers and one monoplace chamber
Hennepin County Medical Center
Located in downtown Minneapolis

+ Add Photo

Worked for Hennepin County Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!