Hennepin County Medical Center

Hennepin County Medical Center Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

David Jones

Top Level Benefits

Principal Office Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBest benefits of any job I've had, top pay, and great people!

ConsIt's a hospital so lots of sick people so you must be good at keeping yourself well.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave 1 on 1's monthly with your employees. Check in with them, even though they are getting paid well, just see how they are doing.

hcmc job review

Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time for more than 10 years

Prosunion fair pay, pays 4k for school a year

Conslong hours, expensive parking downtown,

Advice to Senior Managementnone

I am a staff nurse mostly working nights.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

ProsIf possible, managers try to be flexible with work schedules to accomadate life schedule. Good health benefits and scheduling preference at clinics for employees. New leadership seems to be trying to change the culture.

ConsLack of communication system wide. Improving culture but "it's not my job" is a frequent refrain. Issues take so long to get resolved that it appears they do not get resolved. Supervisors and managers that do not always understand the jobs they are managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearning and self improvement oportunities are scheduled around a day shift perspective even though the hospital is open 24/7. Job sharing should be an option. Continuing education is only encouraged if it means getting a degree or certificate. On site, off hours daycare would be fabulous.

Great. love the job.

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center

Proswork around your schedule. give you hours if you want them and not if you dont.

Conssome of the management...is rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your employees more rather than play favoritism. Everyone deserves to be treated equally, not just people who you personally like for whatever reason.

It was a great place to work at and good people to work with while I was an employee.

Communication Operation (Former Employee)

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to work wish I still did

ConsNone that I see at all

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Good place to work

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIndependence, loads of opportunities, friendly people

ConsToo many heads, too many moving parts without a lot to tie them in

Always an opportunity to make a difference.

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time

ProsEasy to find meaningful ways to help people from diverse backgrounds
Always something going on; no chance of feeling bored
Honorable organizational mission with staff involved who like to serve patients from diverse backgrounds.
Energetic, teaching hospital environment. The hospital provides exceptional care.
The best cafeteria food of all Twin Cities hospitals.

ConsDisconnection of executive leadership to front-line staff as shown in the high rate of process changes, increasing expectations, and lack of tools to meet the expectations.
Patient population with complex needs and lack of resources to address those needs, can lead to frustration.
Aging infrastructure, and poorly enforced expectations regarding smoking and loitering on the grounds.
Poor work-life balance opportunities e.g., no good work-out options, child-care, flexible work schedules, etc.

Great mission and people!

Systems Analyst III (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsThe organizations mission and the dedication of the staff to serve the local community. Great benefits and pay.

ConsDis-functional departments and too many silos. Managers do not seem to understand what is going on within their department or outside their department. Lack of growth opportunities. If you are ambitious I will recommend to try to lean as much as you can about the department you are join to make sure it is a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on breaking down the silos that exist through out the organization. The place is been managed as a government entity and not as a not for profit focused on providing efficient and cost effective services. Too much waste. Also increase the focus on the outreach to more paying patients.

Flexible and great benefits, super stressful at times.

BA MA (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAwesome benefits package, great health insurance for individuals. Some amazing people work here and keep the place afloat. Cool location and mission, great medical library with tons of educational resources and super helpful staff.

ConsWretched management, high turnover, and random firings when departments are planning improvements, which significantly stalls upgrades and delays progress.

Way too much favoritism, and ironically, the 'favorites' are the worst employees. The more trained and skilled you are, the more they work you to the max to cover the slack of the inept, chronic sick callers, & FMLA abusers (there's a lot).

Possibly the worst human resources department I've ever had to deal with. I wouldn't even give them a job at McDonald's mopping floors if they volunteered. They frequently lose critical paper work, and viciously hunt out good employees for the most trivial issues, while ignoring the worst, do nothing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull it together and show better direction. I've seen too many wonderful people leave here due to confusing tactics and promotion of bad workers. It really deals a huge blow to morale and you're practically encouraging bad work habits.

Clean up the hospital's imagine, it's known to area residents as a place to get pain killers, and frequent dealing is done in plain sight of visitors and patients.

Encourage overweight smoking staff to not smoke at the emergency room entrance and up their insurance premiums. Better yet, fire them, it's embarrassing, unwelcoming, and hypocritical.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

it is the most disorganized care in some units and the best of care in others - research!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center

ProsGood pay. Committed to its mission of working with the poor.

Consupper management is extremely disorganized and changes from one initiative to another without explanation. Trying to establish data driven decisions but the workforce is about 10 years behind. Slow to make technology easily accessible and working properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBullying staff will get you know where. You are losing good staff because the upper management creates change that they don't totally understand and then expect high performance in a manner of weeks. Take a look at your goals and stick to them.

Worked for Hennepin County Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hennepin County Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hennepin County Medical Center CEO David Jones. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Hennepin County Medical Center employees.