Hennepin County Reviews

CEO

1. Excellent Government Intership

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as a government intern at Hennepin County and had an awesome experience gaining valuable experience in my area of study. The county has been very flexible with scheduling to fit a student schedule and is interested in providing interns with a wide variety of opportunities.

Cons

As a government organization the application, interview and job acceptance process can be somewhat slow. In addition questions and requests can be somewhat slow.

Advice to Management

A focus on hiring young employees like Millenials can go a long way towards renewing and continuing the work of Hennepin County. Internship experiences are a great way to bring in these types of employees.

2. no movment in transportation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medina, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medina, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible with working conditions, very safe in what they do. They want a job done right. If you don't like movement this is the place to be.

Cons

no movement in transportation. no where to go except out to move up. It too good pay for people, so they won't leave. They higher from the outside pretty much now. They do not consider there employees have skills.

Advice to Management

They can't do anything about it. Transportation has very little movement. Consider that people actually in the department knows whats going on. Not people on the outside looking in.

Drown It In a Bathtub

I worked at Hennepin County

Pros

Great benefits, downtown Minneapolis location

Cons

Incompetent, entitled employees who should have been let go of years ago. Severely lagging behind in technology. HR fosters a clique culture of favoritism

Advice to Management

Prioritize rewarding hard work and innovation over filling quotas and seniority. Let go of the 20-30 year employees who refuse to improve their skills. Let in fresh blood.

5. This place is a joke

Current Employee - Administrative Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County full-time

Pros

The only pros to this job is that I get to mess with the lives of the people that work for me. One is more useless than the next! So what do I do? Keep giving them more work than they can handle and watch them squirm!! hahaha

Cons

The cons are that I have to keep a straight face while talking to all these morons who keep wanting me to do their work for them! I'm YOUR SUPERVISOR -- I tell you what to do, and you do it!!

Advice to Management

Advice? Ha! I'm just waiting to get out of here!!

hennepin county

I have been working at Hennepin County

Pros

Great salaries, benefits and room to move

Cons

Very patriarchial and bureaucratic. Need to trust your employees.

Advice to Management

Check in with your employees to see how they like their jobs

7. Working for the county

I have been working at Hennepin County

Pros

Assisting clients with there personal needs. Providing advice and encouragement to others.

Cons

Very busy in my region. Policy changes that are very hard to explain to clients.

Too much red tape, new ideas not welcome

Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Too much red tape/politics. If it wasn't management's idea, they don't like it (most of the time they won't even listen to it). Improvements (if any) are slow and out dated. If you know something management doesn't, they don't like it or you. No on-boarding - just figure the job out yourself. County Administration and Commissioners have no idea what its like in the "trenches" and they don't care. They make decisions in a vacuum. Lots of "old timers" that also don't like change or new ideas.

Cons

Good health insurance. Government holidays

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff! Be open to new ideas. Realize that you can't know and do everything, and that's why you hire competent people - trust them.

HSR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Do-able salary. Great benefits.

Cons

Absolute chaos. Employee turnover very high. Supervisors with tenure care little about their team. Training was a nightmare. Unfair practices and only a 30% accuracy rate on case processing. Clients treated like numbers.

Where careers go to die...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So maybe that's a little dramatic but it's true. I'll list out the pros: - Good downtown location - Good benefits - Great supervisor -VERY cheap health insurance -There are some VERY bright people here, but they're few and far between - You get two big monitors at your desk - Standing desks - Depending on what floor you're on, lots of people have offices with doors on them...even entry-level people. If you have a cube, it's huge

Cons

-This is not a place to go if you want to get ahead in your career. If you actually want to work and learn something to grow your career, don't work here. If you want to spend your work day clipping your nails, surfing the Internet and bidding on eBay auctions, by all means, take a job here. I wish I were kidding, but I'm not. - Far, FAR too many "lifers" -- people who have been here for 10-40+ years. These lifers do NOT want change. Most people here would never think to take a job somewhere else (that's why I count the 10 year people as lifers). They really need fresh blood here. When they do hire, they tend to hire people internal to the county or someone from another government agency. They need non-government people here, but perhaps that's a problem with their candidate pool? Or they're playing favorites. My guess, based on my experience? They're playing favorites. - Major "meeting" culture. If you're in IT, your day will consist of running from meeting to meeting -- where nothing gets done at these meetings. Meetings consist of 10-15 minutes of chit chat/talking about (or showing) the latest viral YouTube video, then some agenda items, then more chit chat. When the meeting is over, everyone hangs around in the room for more chit chat. It's odd. People seem to schedule meetings to "look busy." You're in so many meetings that you have no time to do your actual work. Thus, nothing gets done. Does management get that? Nope! -Big time "toosh in seat" mentality. Work from home is allowed, but it's still a very old school mentality by upper management, where they seem to frown on it. I felt I could only work from home on a major snow day. -Tons of great ideas but no one wants to implement them (either that, or they don't know how). - Little incentive to do well (and thus, no consequences for not performing well) Such is life of the government! - Outdated systems, including those from vendors. Some of which resemble Windows 98 applications. - Most of those in leadership positions do not belong there. They can't/don't know how to lead and got the position because they're someone's sister/BFF etc. - The Government Center offices need a remodel. It's stuck in the '70s. - If you forget your badge, you have to go through airport-style security screen (and yes, you'll have to remove your belt and shoes). - The cleaning folks come during the middle of the work day. That means you will be disputed by a noisy vacuum cleaner for a good HOUR once a week. - Silly initiatives that try to make the county look good- for example, you don't get to have a garbage can at your desk. You have to schlep your trash to the kitchen and toss it there. This only makes employees irritated, it doesn't reduce trash. I honestly wouldn't have taken a job here, but I was laid off at the time, and they offered me a decent-paying job in my field, so I took it.

Advice to Management

Hire people from outside of government and then you'll get those changes you want! And read my list of cons.

11. Terrific - low key, but professional

Current Employee - Senior Contract Services Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Contract Services Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, smart people, collaborative effort

Cons

Somewhat typical government bureaucracy, no teleworking.

RSS Feed </> Embed