Hennion and Walsh

William Walsh

Intern

Internship (Former Employee)

I worked at Hennion and Walsh full-time for less than a year

ProsWonderful Office atmosphere, people that really care, give you a great chance to prove your skills on a variety of projects, also have a great philanthropic mindset. Company is expanding!

ConsTrading floor can be a bit intimidating.

Meager Experience, Decent Education

Broker (Former Employee)

I worked at Hennion and Walsh full-time for more than a year

ProsThe party atmosphere is big here: they have a bar right on the trading floor and they shut the office down for NCAA March Madness. I know, pretty crazy. No matter what the reviews here say: the investments are legit, the firm is on the level and old people should actually be putting their money in bonds. Also, it is (mostly) a meritocracy. You won't get handed profitable accounts if you don't SELL.

ConsIf you work hard, stay late but don't sell, there's something wrong with you. There is one way to sell and it's their way. Shut your mouth, stick to the script and try to sell people bonds for 10 hours a day. No acceptable wardrobe that's not suit with white shirt and no casual Friday until you've closed 10 accounts. Remember when I said it's mostly a meritocracy? It is unless you're a pretty women who can put up with misogyny, in which case you are treated especially good. There is only room to grow as a bond broker, even though they have a mutual fund/wealth management arm. For that they pretty much hire from outside, except sales roles. Again, the name of the game is smile and dial.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart diversifying and broaden your business model. I realize you've gotten so far doing what you're doing, and the model technically "ain't broke" but take it to the next level and the clients will notice.

Unprofessional and discriminating

I worked at Hennion and Walsh full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the brokers are good guys and are fun to work with.

ConsThere was no sign of an HR dept. The place was run like a frat house. Seems like fun when you're a college kid but no way do you want to build a career here. They hire anyone that isn't a "mutant".. bc they just need bodies in the office. If you're an attractive girl, you'll be treated like a piece of meat.. and be expected to have no self respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a new partnership.. good cop, bad cop has gotten old.

Good friendly work environment.

I worked at Hennion and Walsh as an intern

ProsFriendly environment to work in, relatively laid back and has an annual golf outing.

ConsI was only an intern but I felt that I was underutilized

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand business

Great for College Graduates

Broker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hennion and Walsh full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place for kids coming out of college who want to keep partying. You will work hard, but have fun with co-workers. Good stepping stone into the business. If you are looking to get some experience and move on, this is a good place to start.

ConsYou will sit at your desk for 10 hours a day and dial. Managers will walk around screaming at employees to get on the phone. Office enviroment is loud and unprofessional. Reminds you of brokerage firms back in the 80s and 90s. Everyone knows your business and gossips.
There is preferential treatment given to certain advisors.

If you are an advisor looking to expand your product knowlege and grow your business, stay away. This is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like real managers and encourage your employees to do well instead of yelling all day.

Great start for a career in finance, however not a longterm option for many.

Internal Wholesaler (Current Employee)
Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Hennion and Walsh full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat program for completing the Series 7. And great sales training.

ConsVery restrictive contract (read carefully). Being a private company, the management structure will always bend to the whims of the owner, for better or worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementStructure management more clearly and consistently. Create a transparent and solid corporate structure that allows for accurate expectations and accountability between the management and employees and vise versa.

not good

I worked at Hennion and Walsh full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood looking co-workers, like to have fun - other then that - nothing work related

Conseverything from salary to human resources - or lack there of.

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY BETTER

Summer Intern, Good Place to Intern

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Hennion and Walsh as an intern for less than a year

ProsGot to work in a lot of different areas of the company
Good people and management

ConsSmall company so the pay was low

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand! You talk about it now do it.

Very solid place to build a career

I have been working at Hennion and Walsh full-time

ProsFamily atmosphere, team spirit, excellent growth environment, autonomy early on in a career, competitive pay for performers, place to launch a career in finance, exceptional work/life balance being promoted, fun and fast-paced environment, senior management with personal interest in employees

ConsProgress on issues internally could be expedited, communication between employees could be improved

Pyramid Scheme makes for minimal growth opportunities

Junior Bond Broker (Former Employee)

I worked at Hennion and Walsh full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people is what made this 2 stars instead of 1. The group is pretty genuine in terms of friendships and personality, however they do have a "Boiler Room" attitude which is very dated and unfair.

Cons- READ THE CONTRACT; they attempt to really hurt you if you try to leave
- Salary is for a year and half and you still need welfare to survive
- Pyramid scheme means that after they "train you" for 18 months, all the leads you build are not yours. You work long hours in which you feel you can't even go to the bathroom without permission, and at the end of the day, you don't see any of the money you just made for your "mentor" and the company
- Fraternity mentality with "good cop, bad cop" management; They literally yell at you which is hysterical
- Most of the brokers are proud to be alcoholics
- No encouragement for continuing education or actually understanding the investments you're trying to sell

Advice to Senior Management- Start treating people with respect and actually run this like a legitimate company. Your ideals and overall business strategy for investments are sound, but everything else is terrible. Instead of being "cool with 3 Porsche's and thinking driving a Honda is lame", invest that money back into the company to actually grow it properly.
- The perception of both partners, is that they're taking the money for themselves and won't care about this company after they have enough millions to retire.

Worked for Hennion and Walsh? Contribute to the Community!

Hennion and Walsh Videos

Hennion and Walsh – Why Work for Us?

Hennion & Walsh was founded in 1990 with a single goal in mind: to become the nation's premier provider of investment services to and advocate for individual investors. As such, our disciplined, personalized approach… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hennion and Walsh reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hennion and Walsh CEO William Walsh. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Hennion and Walsh employees.