Henry Ford Community College Reviews

1. Lead Carpenter and Painter in Theater Department

Former Employee - Lead Scenic Carpenter and Painter in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Lead Scenic Carpenter and Painter in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Henry Ford Community College

Pros

Working closely with students and staff as well as working independently. Educating students in: basic power tools, basic construction and installation of scenery, painting, painting techniques, various tools and applications of paint including faux finishes. Encouraging students to embrace current skills and applying them to basic applications as well as developing skills into marketable trades.

Cons

Primary complication was, unfortunately, working with the TD. However, if you can work with him, you can work with just about anyone. Newest and biggest problem is that the school is downsizing the theater department to focus on the Virtual 3D Lab. The job used to be $18.50 per hour for 18 hours a week with full benefits (even I was surprised about that!). Now, the job is less than $15 and hour for 15 hours of work and benefits have been cut. Last I heard (almost a year ago), the position was going to be cut from the program and all responsibilities handed over to the TD.

Advice to Management

If you are downsizing the department due to lack of interest in the program, that is understandable. However, many students whom could not afford a full Bachelors program used that program as a stepping stone into a 4 year institution. If turnover is what is bothering you, offer an opportunity for a technical focus. Technical degrees in theater are hard to come by anymore and are desperately needed.

2. Great place for temp work...

I worked at Henry Ford Community College

Pros

Fast paced, get to help others.

Cons

Low pay for temp workers, hard to get hired into the union.

Advice to Management

Not so much to management but to the higher leadership - make it easier for managers to hire good employees in to the organization.

3. Assisted Learning Technician

I have been working at Henry Ford Community College

Pros

Everything is great just as it is.

Cons

Part time wish it could be full time with benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep things as they are.

5. Great institution to work for if you love a diverse student population and love teaching.

Former Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Dearborn, MI
    Former Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Henry Ford Community College as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Institution leaders are intent on academic performance and are very supportive of faculty with mentoring and training.

Cons

Pay is not as competitive as other institutions.

6. Total Disorganization - *East side campus

I have been working at Henry Ford Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free parking.
    You have a lot of student who want to better themselves but they get short change by the lack of competence in administration, staff and faculty.

Cons

Unorganized.
    Lack of communication form HR to all the way up to management.
    No competent department chairs, in fact, no department chair at all.
    Poor use of resources

Advice to Management

Get organized. Hire people who know what they are doing. Students can tall when faculty are not doing a good job. You have no way of measuring a student rating of faculty nor do you enforce it or care. Everything is done last minute. I was hire a week before class started, I had to come up with several syllabi. The next semester I was NOT sent any communication as fart what class I was going to teach or anything else. They never got my name in the email database to receive emails. I could not get a hold of anybody at IT. Up to this day, I have not received any correspondence as to weather i'm teaching there or not or if I'm still employed there or not. In fact I have not received any communication after they hired me to teach those two classes at all. I only get a lot of phone calls from students asking me what classes I'm teaching because they want to take my classes. The students said that they had been asking for some to teach them the materials that I taught then for years. I taught them what was relevant and what they needed to know even if I had to work three times harder than the other so call PHD professors who only taught them basic things and are there only for a pay check. At least the student appreciated what I taught them even though management had no Idea nor do I think they care. Shame on those who are in charge of running Wayne County Community College east side campus. I hope the other campuses aren't as bad.

7. Great Teaching enviroment

Current Employee - Instructor in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Instructor in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Henry Ford Community College part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Options to take summers off or work, Good people to work with.

Cons

Politics of an educational environment. Union that plays favorites. Not enough budget to do the things that need to be done with the classes. Slow to act.

Advice to Management

Listen to ideas

8. Best internship I could have asked for.

Former Intern - Financial Services Intern in Dearborn, MI
    Former Intern - Financial Services Intern in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Henry Ford Community College as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very fast paced environment but at the same time management shows a lot of faith in you and does not micro manage. It required variety of tasks but the job was structured so nicely that how your time flew by, you'd never know.

Cons

No full time opportunities. Doesn't matter how good you are, you will never get a full time job here unless you are part of the job district. Its unionized.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I know the union situation can't be changed.

9. Great place

I worked at Henry Ford Community College part-time

Pros

great management I enjoyed working there

Cons

I had to stay late to finish work

10. Cashier

Former Intern - Cashier in Dearborn, MI
    Former Intern - Cashier in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Henry Ford Community College as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Was able to get some added experience in the cashiering field and attain some experience in the data entry field, which is a plus for the overall accounting field that I am trying to pursue. I was also able to work and attend school (worked where I attended school) at the same time, which was and added bonus!

Cons

Having to deal with a number of unprofessional characteristics, informal training, and lack of being able to express vital questions that were needed to be answered to help me to efficiently learn and do my job properly, with particular people in upper management.

Advice to Management

Have more formal training, management that care more about the well-being of their employees, and an easiness to communicate with, when need to.

11. I became very pasionate for provideing optimal clinical expierence for Radiology Technology students.

Former Employee - Clinical Instructor for Radiology Technology Students in Dearborn Heights, MI

I worked at Henry Ford Community College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule for clinical instructors. Very good educational facility with good personnel in charge. Great feed back on work performance, good or bad.

Cons

Some clinical sites did not welcome clinical instructors and I was not allowed into the exam room with the students to participate in the exam.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.