Henry Ford Health System

Updated August 19, 2014

3.4

Henry Ford Health System President and CEO Nancy M. Schlichting
Nancy M. Schlichting

Pros
  • good benefits, stable retirement savings plan , in addition to 403B (in 8 reviews)

• Okay to start career but you will become unhappy very fast, some good people but watch your back (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Executive leadership and clinicians/physicians still received raises while the rest of us sacrificed (in 3 reviews)

• Bad location and upper level management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Henry Ford was great. Good Management and good people. I actually felt like I was accomplishing something while there.

Pros

Great office culture in the corporate portion of HFHS.

Cons

Multiple projects and due dates.

Keep it up.

Being a Henry Ford employee is ok.

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist  in  Clinton Township, MI
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Clinton Township, MI

Pros

Respected hospital. Always busy so there's no fear of losing a position.

Cons

Environment is not very friendly. You are so over worked and under staffed.

Be more approachable and realize patient care takes time therefore more staff.

Two faced

Current Employee - Art Therapist  in  Ferndale, MI
    Current Employee - Art Therapist in Ferndale, MI

Pros

The only reason I work for Henry Ford Health System is because I get my title of Art Therapist. I started this job doing what I am trained to do, use art to work with patients with a mental disorder.

Cons

Expensive and useless health benefits that mandate service from Henry Ford doctors only and do not cover emergency or unscheduled office visits.
    Low pay and raises never occur even if you earned one by HR requirements.
    Time clock that forces you to clock in/out exactly at your scheduled time, absolutely no acceptions.
    Forced use of vacation time (that is earned as 3 hrs per pay period) verses the choice of unpaid or paid.
    In order to qualify for medical leave (such as when I had my son), you have to have minimum of 2wks worth of vacation time otherwise you do not get paid medical leave.

Do more then words to appreciate your workers (besides the nurses and doctors). Competitive pay in all fields along with pay for college degrees and related work experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Current Employee - Research Coordinator  in  West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in West Bloomfield, MI

Pros

A lot of great benefits, morale high

Cons

Cant switch positions for one year

communicate better with employees

Just an ok place

Pros

Tries hard but does not suceed

Cons

No structure, just a catch as catch can attitude

Need more organization, better management that have rules and regulations. There is no accountability or consequences.

Always changing

Pros

Well established health care company that has a solid presence in the current market. Recently insourced Information, eliminating the segregation of Infrastructure and Applications.

Cons

The IT leadership recently went through transition so many are new to the environment. With the insourcing of IT on their plate, it seems they are more interested in saving money at this point. Health Care human resources didn't take into consideration the market value of many positions. This is causing a loss of valuable IT experience.

As a patient , I had an excellent experience but as an employee not so good.

Current Employee - Health Unit Clerk  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Health Unit Clerk in Detroit, MI

Pros

As patient, the care was every good. If I had a problem it was quickly addressed and solved. I received all meals and meds in a timely fashion. Any concerns or question I or my children had about my treatment was thoroughly explain.

Cons

As an employee , I feel there not enough educational opportunities like they haves for the doctors and nurses. They care more about the common areas ( patients rooms, nurses desk and hallways) being clean and up to parang not enough about the behind the scenes rooms ( the break rooms ( the floors are beyond dirty)

Treat the employees as well as you treat the patients. Show as much concern for our well being as you do for the patients you want us to care off.

Primary care physician

Current Employee - Primary Care Physician
    Current Employee - Primary Care Physician

Pros

good benefits, stable retirement savings plan , in addition to 403B
    excellent schedule

Cons

too many decisions made about daily practice, without consideration to the hindrance on workflow

Used to be a good place

Pros

Flexability in the professional positions. The atmosphere is good, dependent on the location and the department. Great resume builder as HFHS is very well known.

Cons

Constantly downsizing and laying off people. Poor compensation and benefits are constantely being cut. Senior Management is more focused on bottom line than on the actual outcomes.

Patient Sitter

Former Employee - Patient Sitter  in  West Bloomfield, MI
    Former Employee - Patient Sitter in West Bloomfield, MI

Pros

I was a patient sitter at Henry Ford West Bloomfield hospital while I was in nursing school and I loved it. The environment was always clean, supplies were available when needed, I was treated very well by my supervisors, and I enjoyed coming to work.

Cons

The nurses and nursing assistants seemed unhappy at times due to high work loads, but that happens everywhere. I was surprised that the nursing assistants only made $1 more per hour than I did as a sitter; that seemed quite unfair.

Keep appreciating employees. Affirmation motivated me and made me feel good coming to work there.

Worked for Henry Ford Health System? Contribute to the Community!