Henry M. Jackson Foundation Reviews

1. Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Henry M. Jackson Foundation

Pros

Phenomenal benefits and healthcare and dental plan. Their retirement possibilities are really top notch. Servicing their workers as well is top notch.

Cons

Honestly, there isn't much yet because at least in my experience, they have helped a great deal with answering any of my questions.

2. Staff Scientist a.k.a. contract program officer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High salary, great way in the back door

Cons

dealing with the bureaucracy of being a contractor on top of actual job

3. HJF offers decent benefits and really try to take care of their employees.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a postdoc, HJF offered good benefits like matched 403k contributions and nice vacation packages (3 weeks paid per year I believe for postdocs). In addition, they offer good health insurance options.

Cons

HJF is a contracting company and manage the grants that come through labs at USUHS or walter reed so their offices are offsite if you're a postdoc. This can by annoying especially when you have to do an orientation or go to their offices for admin things. Also, the yearly raises are very low - no more than 3% of salary which translates to a negligible increase in pay on a postdoc salary.

Advice to Management

It would be nice for the postdoc salary raises to be higher. It's financially difficult to live in Bethesda with an already low salary which is compounded by the low % raise.

5. Do not recommend working in IT unless a Junior level or urgently in need of employment. Make no mistake, this is an MSP

Former Employee - Engineer in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The HQ facility was nice and the company spends a lot of money on IT so you are never in need of equipment or software. Overall good pay and benefits. Depending on your team you could end up with a decent team lead.

Cons

Projects are managed in a manner of organized chaos and an, "always at work mentality." Choices in what technology to use are based mainly on emotional decisions by senior management vs what is best used for a specific project. The mix of technology is convoluted at best and ridiculous at worst. No proper test environment available to developers and admins. The IT Staff network is under the same network restrictions as end users making reading, researching IT topics for work, and in general being productive unnecessarily difficult. Make no mistake, this is an MSP serving smaller non profits. Help-desk duties frequent to all levels of employee but not discussed at all in interview. Do not recommend to anyone mid or higher or looking for a specialist role, even if advertised. Talked a good game but Jr level position at best. While I agree in some sense organized chaos and IT go hand in hand, this is by far the most tail chasing environment I was ever a part of.

Advice to Management

IT needs clear and concise leadership and organization. Technology choices at all level should be a panel decision. Attitudes toward work life balance should be reviewed. Simply put the IT market is too good in DC area to expect mid and senior level people to put up with some of this.

6. It was a good expereince

Current Employee - Research Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Very good, intelligent colleagues from all over the world. Your experience on the job will depend on your team/lab/principal investigator and the grant you are working under.

Cons

I traveled a lot and my project was in the final year of the grant so there was not a lot of opportunity for promotion the same project. There is a division between the administrative office and the employees doing the research, lab and field work.

This WAS a great place to work, 5 years ago.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work is interesting and challenging. The benefits and pay are really good. The people at HJF are really good people to work with.

Cons

No loyalty to long term employees. The more you make, the more vulnerable you are to a layoff. Managers in certain departments rule by intimidation. The company has had two major layoffs at their headquarters in 2 years, with more rumored. The company grew too large for themselves too quickly and now long term employees are paying the price. I would definitely not suggest anyone go work at HJF until they can control their financial situation and get rid of the managers that spend their days reading magazines in their offices and complaining about how awful the clients are.

Advice to Management

Look at your management staff on the next round of layoffs and get rid of some truly dead wood.

It WAS a good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Henry M. Jackson Foundation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Interesting work. Good location.

Cons

There is a great sense of fear and instability there. The culture has changed so much over the years. Many managers use fear to motivate employees. There is not much room for growth at the headquarters location. It is definitely an old boys club.

mixed

Current Employee - OSP Grants Specialist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - OSP Grants Specialist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits, 403B plan and compensation

Cons

favoritism, no career progression,

Advice to Management

Upgrade its the 21st century

10. Henry M. Jackson Foundation

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great research based organization and competitive compensation package.

Cons

Scope of work not challenging and not efficiently run departments/structure.

Advice to Management

n/a

Your experience with this company is dependent on who you work with...

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

Pros

I have learned a lot on my job. I have gained many valuable experiences. I am pretty much left to complete my tasks and projects independently. There is also teleworking opportunities and my client is manageable and your client being satisfied with you, is your saving grace.

Cons

Some people love HJF, others are dissatisfied. This is largely due to the variations in worksite environments, federal clients and HJF management practices. There is definitely a shortfall when it comes to communication from management. Ignoring the elephant in the room doesn't make it go away, and the workplace being what it is, people will find out anyway, better to directly address issues with employees.

Significant variation in compensation for employees with the same job with similar credentials. Company does not openly share salary grade ranges. In my opinion, this is largely due to nepotism and having "friends" who are managers.

There seems to be a lack of consistency and sometimes a lack of professionalism with how managers interact with employees and how they apply the rules.

Take what i stated above with with a grain of salt, these things will all very depending on where and who you work with.

Advice to Management

People who are managers should be so because they possess the skill set to do so, not because they have been there the longest or because they have a terminal degree. Directly addressing issues of concern with employees is a must. Compensate individuals fairly for their work and for the additional responsibilities and tasks they take on beyond the scope of their PD. Just be fair, respectful and exercise common sense, that would mitigate most of the issues.