Henry M. Jackson Foundation

Updated May 19, 2014
3.3

Henry M. Jackson Foundation President John W Lowe
John W Lowe

Pros
  • Great benefits, good pay, some allowance for flexible working arrangements (in 12 reviews)

• Decent salaries and good benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not much room for growth at the headquarters location (in 4 reviews)

• The Henry Jackson Foundation (HJF) will allow alternative schedules only under supervisor approval (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

HJF is an excellent place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

HJF has an extremely generous and comprehensive benefits package, has a rewarding mission to advance military medicine and health worldwide, and has ongoing training opportunities.

Cons

Perhaps largely due to is fairly rapid growth, HJF does have some significant duplication of duties in various departments. This can result in quality that is not uniform company-wide. The ability to advance is quite limited, and does vary significantly, depending on management style of the department vice-president or director.

Recent management training efforts are helping. Try to allow employees to advance, wherever possible.

It was a good expereince

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Very good, intelligent colleagues from all over the world. Your experience on the job will depend on your team/lab/principal investigator and the grant you are working under.

Cons

I traveled a lot and my project was in the final year of the grant so there was not a lot of opportunity for promotion the same project. There is a division between the administrative office and the employees doing the research, lab and field work.

This WAS a great place to work, 5 years ago.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work is interesting and challenging. The benefits and pay are really good. The people at HJF are really good people to work with.

Cons

No loyalty to long term employees. The more you make, the more vulnerable you are to a layoff. Managers in certain departments rule by intimidation. The company has had two major layoffs at their headquarters in 2 years, with more rumored. The company grew too large for themselves too quickly and now long term employees are paying the price. I would definitely not suggest anyone go work at HJF until they can control their financial situation and get rid of the managers that spend their days reading magazines in their offices and complaining about how awful the clients are.

Look at your management staff on the next round of layoffs and get rid of some truly dead wood.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It WAS a good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Henry M. Jackson Foundation for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Interesting work. Good location.

Cons

There is a great sense of fear and instability there. The culture has changed so much over the years. Many managers use fear to motivate employees. There is not much room for growth at the headquarters location. It is definitely an old boys club.

mixed

Current Employee - OSP Grants Specialist  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - OSP Grants Specialist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Henry M. Jackson Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits, 403B plan and compensation

Cons

favoritism, no career progression,

Upgrade its the 21st century

Henry M. Jackson Foundation

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Great research based organization and competitive compensation package.

Cons

Scope of work not challenging and not efficiently run departments/structure.

n/a

Your experience with this company is dependent on who you work with...

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

Pros

I have learned a lot on my job. I have gained many valuable experiences. I am pretty much left to complete my tasks and projects independently. There is also teleworking opportunities and my client is manageable and your client being satisfied with you, is your saving grace.

Cons

Some people love HJF, others are dissatisfied. This is largely due to the variations in worksite environments, federal clients and HJF management practices. There is definitely a shortfall when it comes to communication from management. Ignoring the elephant in the room doesn't make it go away, and the workplace being what it is, people will find out anyway, better to directly address issues with employees.

Significant variation in compensation for employees with the same job with similar credentials. Company does not openly share salary grade ranges. In my opinion, this is largely due to nepotism and having "friends" who are managers.

There seems to be a lack of consistency and sometimes a lack of professionalism with how managers interact with employees and how they apply the rules.

Take what i stated above with with a grain of salt, these things will all very depending on where and who you work with.

People who are managers should be so because they possess the skill set to do so, not because they have been there the longest or because they have a terminal degree. Directly addressing issues of concern with employees is a must. Compensate individuals fairly for their work and for the additional responsibilities and tasks they take on beyond the scope of their PD. Just be fair, respectful and exercise common sense, that would mitigate most of the issues.

Great Benefits - very competitive in comparison to other organizations.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Henry M. Jackson Foundation

Pros

Benefits - i.e. 403(b) employer match and compressed work schedule

Cons

Need to work on better communication

Regular communication, require departments to set quarterly, semi-annual, annual goals (long term and short term)

Worked for Henry M. Jackson Foundation? Contribute to the Community!