Henry Schein

Updated December 8, 2014
3.1

Henry Schein Chairman, President, and CEO Stanley M. Bergman
Stanley M. Bergman

Pros
  • The leniency for a work/life balance is wonderful (in 7 reviews)

• There are great people top to bottom, great benefits, solid industry, conservative company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Fly by the seat of your pants upper management, sales people can get away with anything if they sell (in 6 reviews)

• Low low pay, no motivation because so few actually care about making money (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

Former Employee - Cross Product Technician in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Cross Product Technician in Greenville, SC

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Software Support Department (HSPS) is a great environment. It felt very much like a family they ALWAYS go above and beyond to make sure you feel appreciated. The best job I ever had, to bad I had to move to another state.

Cons

There is the normal separation between software support and development. Sometimes things are released before enough testing and notification to support is given. Also, the great environment is probably the reason why they have such a high retention rate. But, the pay rate is very low when compared to similar positions with other companies. They start at about $11.50 per hour. This was about a $4 dollar pay cut when I started that I could never do now. But I eventually got to $18 per hour. But, that rate is limited to a small team of people, $16 to $17 per hour is very possible within 3 years if you diligently apply yourself.

If you increase the starting pay and the following pay rates by at least $1.50 to $2.00 I believe you will have a chance at an even more experienced work force and retention rate. The cost of living has dramatically increased since $11.50 was first introduced. Also, when I left I wasn't allowed to work from home unless I went back to a Tech 3 at about $4 less per hour for the same amount of work and experience. If that could be resolved for the next person in my position you will have a better chance of keeping your most experienced technicians. When you consider a tech that has made it to Tech 4 and above like myself I know they aren't easy replaceable and worth every dollar, even if they have to be managed remotely.

Outside of those two things. The company is fantastic, I saw a lot of changes and they were almost always for the better!

Nothing good

Current Employee - Medical Sales
    Current Employee - Medical Sales

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free sample products from suppliers

Cons

Everything! You are micromanaged with people looking over your shoulder and listening to your calls all day long. Commission structure is set up in a pool which changes every month, and you get a small percentage of that pool. It won't matter if you are a top seller or a bottom seller.
    Horrible life work balance. If you need time for you family or kids...too bad, you have to really fight for time off.

You will get better results by letting your sales people do what they do best...sell, without your interference. Actually reward your sales people by giving them commission on what they sell.

Good Benefits and Pay is not bad.

Current Employee - Customer Support in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Melville, NY

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on your job, you can move up in the comapny.

Cons

Unrealistic work load. Too many changes and no support.

None

Not for everyone, but works for some

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice people are employed there. People have been there for the majority of their careers and are very dedicated to the company. The company supports charities, and does make a good effort to boost moral - theme parties, birthday/condolence cards, etc.

Cons

I’ve worked in fast pace environments, and every member was an important piece of the puzzle. I felt management was condescending. So, I found working at the company unrewarding both personally and financially.

Be transparent. Treat employees like responsible adults.

Good Enough

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Dental and Health Benefits

Cons

Customer base, attendance policy, low hourly pay

Salary was nice but an incredible amount of work with very little support

Former Employee - Digital Technology Specialist
    Former Employee - Digital Technology Specialist

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice Salary
    Ability to work semi flexible hours and occasionally from home
    Learn how to essentially run your own business
    Interesting and growing field
    Some coworkers were a joy to work with
    you learned many different skills as the job could be dynamic and challenging

Cons

long work week and always on call - at least starting out - I worked super late often and several hours on plenty of Sundays
    Management was not very helpful. Would only tell you what you did wrong and didnt have any suggestions on how to improve. Simple things could often takes weeks for approval.
    Some coworkers and team members were horrible to work with and beyond incompetent. They would leave you totally screwed when they were weeks behind with scheduling etc and your client was growing more and more impatient
    The company still expected you to sell sell sell even when they couldnt deliver on a product and it was constantly failing to work properly

Give new employees a sheet on how to best manage their time - 20% cold calling 20% ride alongs etc
    Help employees grow. This does not mean telling them they are doing a terrible job while offering no actual advice.
    Stop over promising. Nevo did not work like it should have and being 7 + months behind for upgrades was disgraceful

Nice place to work, but are having "growing pains".

Current Employee - Supervisor in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Melville, NY

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are genuine, benefits are good, and salaries are market average. Many opportunities once you are in.

Cons

Top heavy company, meaning too many generals, not enough soldiers. The company caters to "Wall Street" in regard to stock price versus running the business as an independent company. Our CEO likes to say we lead the industry, which we do well, but if Wall Street is unhappy with us, we have made unnecessary sacrifices to please them. I understand the fiduciary responsibilities to the shareholders, however, the company likes to brag about employee moral (which is actually low right now). Can be very stressful at times.

Read the cons, continue to lead the industry, focus more on your employees (and customers) more than the stock price. The TSM's are the heart of the company. The company doesn't have to have "record earnings each quarter", as long as we deliver a good product or service, and earn a profit and that's all that should count. I think Mr. and Mrs. Schein (the founders) would agree. They use to give their employees Turkeys, Baby Gifts, and many other awards to their hard working employees. I think they would embarrassed with our current senior management "stock greed".

Nice place to work briefly but not long term.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melville, NY

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere and relatively low stress.

Cons

Low Salaries, no job growth, low compensation

Stop hiring your relatives.

Very positive, good culture

Current Employee - Human Resources in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Melville, NY

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open door policy, team support, positive work environment.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities, small salary increases

Stop saying how much money the company makes if it doesn't trickle down to the employees

I have been a full time warehouse associate for 3 years.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off ,dental insurance .

Cons

Low pay and annual raises are a joke .No matter what you do your raise will never be more then between 1 and 3 % no real insensitive to go above and beyond what is required. Management famous for telling you what you want to hear and doing nothing .Over promise and under produce .Don't care about low level employees , only worried about rich getting richer.

Stop hiring Temps with no work ethic.Raise pay rate . This is supposed to be a Fortune 500 Co than stop paying people at warehouse level of the Co ,poverty level money.

Henry Schein Photos