Henry Street Settlement

Updated Jul 22, 2014

David Garza

Summer Youth Employment Program

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsComfortable and cheery environment in the office. Training is free, and wages are $8.00 (minimum wage in NY). Youth, ages 14-24 can work with SYEP.

ConsAuditing may become boring, but that wasn't the case with my experience, since I had a comfortable relationship with my superiors and my colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Employment Coordinator

Employment Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBenefits package including PTO and colleagues who are mission driven and passionate about their work.

ConsMid level management who are given autonomous control by senior level management, who are not held accountable for any of their actions. Little room for growth. Company is presented as "person-centered" environment but is actually anything but person centered in reality. Extremely high turn over especially in their Workforce services division. I hope you enjoy attending multiple meetings (typically 7+ hours per week) taking away from your productivity but held to ever increasing KPIs or metrics without any reward.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue! If turnover in the department is over 100% since promoting an unqualified mid level Manager - look more closely at the mid level Manager who uses direct reports as scape goats.

Connection to Community

Teaching Artist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsA great place for teaching artists-a great community and people to work with. There are often opportunities for the artists-workshops, training

ConsThey didn't pay well, in a field that notoriously doesn't pay well. Sometimes had to wait a long time to get paid. There has been a lot of change in upper admin since I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your artists more!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I learnt how to become more professional and reliable.

Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people here are really nice.
    They help you out to the best of their ability.

ConsPay was great but it might be because it was a summer job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

HR Summer Intern

Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFriendly and cheerful staff willing to assist and answer questions, interesting office environment inside a restored brownstone, great learning experience!

ConsTasks may become repetitive in nature and menial at times

summer intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

ProsHenry Street Settlement is a small non-profit social services organization. Its people are all very nice and I could always ask them questions, knowing they will be able to help and the atmosphere is very informal. You can switch from area to area to get more exposure.

ConsWork gets pretty mundane for summer interns and there's not a whole lot to do. But if you really want to learn, there's nothing stopping you from asking for other things to do. Since it's so small, you're mostly by yourself in the corner doing work in the office and it's mostly silent.

Just Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Solid mission
    -Wonderful reputation
    -Great vacation package
    -Good benefits
    -Variety of programs
    -Occasional opportunities for professional development
    -Intelligent and passionate senior leadership

Cons-Terrible leadership in senior services division
    -Erratic, forgetful and at times mean department head
    -Tantrums and outbursts from department head drove talented employees away
    -Awful physical working conditions, little support from facilities in rectifying problems (e.g. rodent infestation)

Henry Street is a reputable institution for good reason

Grant Writer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits; smart, committed colleagues; professional atmosphere; structure; excellent management from mid-level to highest levels (in administration - can't speak for program); strong HR program

Conspay was not as strong as it might be at the same level with other employers; not enough room for upward mobility; too much junk food around and not enough places to get a decent meal

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work - but consider our compensation more carefully

Henry Street Settlement is a nonprofit struggling to transition from heavily funded to increasingly self propelled.

Employment Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosexceptional potential for growth within the company and beyond.

Conshighly micro-managed due to lack of knowledge on the behalf of management. it is more important to meet certain funding benchmarks than actually create longterm growth and change.

Advice to Senior Managementbe less controlling. allow for independence and creativity in getting results. the populations we serve are unconventional and need unconventional services 9-5 win't work for them so why should we work 9-5?

Worked for Henry Street Settlement? Contribute to the Community!