Hensel Phelps Construction
www.henselphelps.com Greeley, CO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Hensel Phelps Construction Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Hensel Phelps Construction – Denver – “Big Job”

Hensel Phelps Construction President & CEO Jeff Wenaas

Jeff Wenaas

Pros:
  • "Employee Owned, Mostly all employees are good people who are driven and want to do well"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The company has GREAT benefits and takes care of its employees as far as health and retirement are concerned"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long Hours- Don't expect to have much of a fruitfal social or personal life for the first 5-8 years"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Employees are burned-out and worked too long and hard with little opportunity for a personal life outside of work"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good

Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsOpportunity, honesty, Pride are all part of this company if you want to be the best at building this is the place. Hard wook will be rewarded

ConsLong hours, stiff competition so-so pay early in your career. always running at full speed, Success comes at a cost most everone you work with is willing to pay the price you will be expected to pay also.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake good care of the young people, keep them informed and you will win their trust, old timers get it.

Long term employment is rewarded...long hours are demanded.

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsThis company expects a lot. Entry level (ie field engineer, office engineer) you work long hours and are low guy on the totem pole. To get promoted to project engineer is difficult in a sense that in order for that to happen management must see potential. If not you will be shown the door. This company is not for everyone. As I have stated long hours are expected and relocation is a potential. If you stay the course and become a long term employer (gold hard hat for five years of service) and start collecting on the phantom stock yearly it becomes very lucrative. Project Managers can collect yearly bonuses of $200-$300K more or less.

ConsAs with any construction company it depends on the job site you are assigned to how you are treated. My experience has been "ok". I will repeat again...
1. Long hours
2. Relocation for work is highly likely
3. it seems that everyone at this company thinks this is the only great construction out there. You must drink the kool-aid or act the part to fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs I have stated, this is a good company which rewards long term employment. I have complete confidence in upper management. Who am I to give advice to a successful well run company.

Hensel Phelps creates a rewarding work environment.

Intern (Current Employee)
Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsHensel Phelps provides their employees with the opportunity to succeed. Responsibility is allocated based upon the employee’s abilities. The allocation of responsibility creates an environment that fosters pride in work. The Hensel Phelps employees all take pride in their job. This includes salaried and craft. All of the craft are skilled and great to work with. Salaried positions are filled by individuals who enjoy their work and want to complete projects to a higher standard than the typical contractor.

ConsLong hours and possible relocation are possibilites. The long hours are not bad since the time goes fast when working hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementHensel Phelps does very well in creating a profesional environment. Long hours are compensated by great oppertunity, good pay, and a respected benifit plan. Managment does a great job of sharing benifit and corperate information to their employees.

Great Growth Opportunities Come With Sacrifices

Field Engineer (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsLarge scale complex projects. Experienced senior staff who have generally climbed the ladder from the bottom themselves, which makes them a better balanced management team than at other companies. Employee owned. Opportunity to accrue a variety of experiences in both the office and the field. Young employees are given an unusual amount of control and autonomy to make choices that directly affect a project's outcome. Pay and benefits are comparable if not slightly higher than competing companies. The company invests a lot into training and development of employees.

ConsLong hours first and foremost, it makes work life balance difficult. Relocation is abrupt and expected, generally the company tries to relocate employees within their district, but in tougher economic times, relocation occurs countrywide, and even occasionally internationally depending on the active projects that require staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive staff should take another look on improving work-life balance by more effectively using technology and other tools available, many methods used at this company are "old school traditional" ways of looking at organization and process, HP has the capital to invest in new innovative software, this could benefit company productivity (and employee satisfaction) a lot, particularly in communication.

Great place to work

Area Superintendent (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsI have worked for several companies during my career and HP was the most supportive companies I have ever worked for. The benefits package is exceptional and salary is consistent with other companies in the industry. Personal well being seems to be a company value and the practice of safety is unmatched. Employees are valued and respected. The company expects a lot from all employees and gives as much or more in return. Working there was the greatest professional experience I have had and only left for a family relocation to a state HP was not currently working. I highly recommended Hensel Phelps for anyone seeking employment.

ConsHours are long at times but there is a level of give and take and the hours do usually balance in the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire aggressively even in this economy. You should replace those undeserving of their position or those who take their position for granted and don't value what they really have with HP.

Construction is a FULL time job

Office Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsGood money and long hours, make sure to form a family bond with fellow employees.

ConsLong hours, family time is hard to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an opportunity for everyone.

Not a place for progressive construction managers

Field Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsRelaxed work environment. Good people, especially the craft. Young engineers learn a lot from their field experience. Very good overall training program - employees have access to a plethora of industry courses year-round through a very well designed and implemented company education portal.

ConsThe hours are ridiculousness. Kiss your personal and family life goodbye. Communication at HP is horrible. Though this is the construction industry, often HP gives less than a week notice when its time to uproot and move to a new job. Communication between lower and upper-level management isn't great either. Its difficult to get an honest assessment of your progress or deficiencies. HP has a terrible record of retaining and promoting minorities and women.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times. I suggest offering more trainings on communication and managerial skills.

You won't have a life

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsCompany has very cool jobs to work on, you do learn alot, plus many trainings. We have strong safety program and have relatively good salary.

ConsYou cannot have a life or family while working here. Work between 55 to 80 hrs a week. You have no input on where you move and management does not keep there word. It is not odd for a fifteen year employee to have moved 8 or 9 different cities. All I have to say is karma's a .......

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have employees that have families maybe try to help keep them together it's said that you don't care if families are broken up, seen to many times.

Not bad

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsFree cold beer is readily available because they bribe you with it. You better be ready to keep up cause they won't stop.

ConsToo many hours and they have a tendency to turn you into a drunk or your not cool. I got two DUI's already.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to incorporate a balance between work life and home life. The higher ups need to relax on their profit desires and spread the wealth.

HP

Field Engineer (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction

ProsSolid company. You learn how to do it by the book. Tough environment but impressive projects.

ConsYou need to dedicate your entire life to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people more.

Worked for Hensel Phelps Construction? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hensel Phelps Construction reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hensel Phelps Construction CEO Jeff Wenaas. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by Hensel Phelps Construction employees.