Hensel Phelps Construction

102 reviews filtered by

Industry Hires Beware

Former Employee - Office Engineer
    Former Employee - Office Engineer

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

What a great opportunity to learn from some of the best relationship builders in the industry. If you are under the right project leadership, the team atmosphere is second to none.

Cons

Work life balance was just becoming more of a focus from corporate leadership down; unfortunately it was too little too late for me. Advancement did not appear to be earned with performance, but loyalty appeared to be rewarded with politicking.

Advice to Management

Golden Hand Cuffs will only go so far with motivating the rank and file. I ranked culture and values as OK because Senior Management lacked consistency with their follow through on promises made between performance reviews and investing in the future with promoting individuals for the right reasons.

2. World Class Company

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

My experience with Hensel Phelps has been nothing but great and it is clear that this company is a leader in the construction industry. Every project I've been associated with is unique, challenging, and rewarding. I like that the upper management isn't content with just building "box retailer" projects at every corner and goes after the once-in-a-lifetime type projects that have never been done before.

Hensel Phelps has provided me every opportunity to advance my career. One of my favorite things about the Company is that they promote from within so I'm never scared that an outside hire is going to come in and take a position I'm working towards. This approach not only provides it's current employees with opportunities but also builds all around builders and leaders that know both the field and office side of construction.

The benefits we receive are unheard of anymore. Rarely do you get the level of health insurance we receive and for a company to contribute 15% to everyone's 401(k) is unbelievable. These days your lucky if your employer will contribute 5% let alone 15%.

Cons

There are times the work hours can be long depending on what phase of the project you are in. The more people I talk to in the industry to more clear it is to me that this is just the way the construction industry works. Moving frequently is also a reality that is unfortunately part of the job. You need to move to where the projects are. Would be nice if they were all in my back yard but that's not realistic.

Advice to Management

Continue to build on the work/life balance. Taking good steps in the right direction.

3. The company you envisioned to work for when you went to college.

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefit to working for Hensel Phelps is that you get to be associated with selfwork. I like building and some GC's don't perform their own concrete. We do and it's exciting to be apart of the construction process with hands on experiences.
    The salary is fair but their Company stock program and 401 K program is unmatched. They are build for you to be set up when you retire. Other companies offer higher salaries but Hensel Phelps benefits really put them over the top.
    A lot of people ask about the quality of life with Hensel Phelps. With most jobs it's all about planning. Sometimes hours can be long and there is no avoiding that but I've always been told if your work is complete go home. Hensel Phelps in the last 3 years has really made a transition to push for a better Quality of life program for it's employees. They understand that people are it's best asset and they don't want to burn them out. If I had to rate my quality of life I would have say very satisfied.

Cons

Some challenges working for Hensel Phelps is standing out above your peers.

Advice to Management

Cut the Fat.

5. This grass is greener

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

I've left for another firm and come back after realizing that this is the most honest and ethical firm in the industry. The senior leadership in SoCal works hard to create a family feeling. Career growth opportunities are excellent.

Cons

Our titles don't align with the rest of the industry.

Advice to Management

Combat title inflation at other firms by propping up ours. HP's "OE" is equivalent to other firms "PE". Our "PE" is the same as other firm's "PM" and so on... Sometimes this can make employees feel under appreciated or create a perception that career growth is less than other companies - when this isn't truly the case.

6. Opportunistic, Rewarding, Variety

Current Employee - Office Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Office Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hensel Phelps is the best company to work for if you are one to take charge, make opportunities for yourself, and want to be the next CEO. They pride themselves for extensive training and promoting their employees from within. Very rarely are you told NO, management wants you to step outside of the box and make a career for yourself. If you are one that wants to take charge of your career and life, without being held back, Hensel Phelps is for you. Work hard and play harder is the motto that creates a fun, dedicated, and varying work environment.

Cons

If you take charge of your career, you will be successful. Go get it!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and promoting from within, this drives employee moral up and keeps the younger generations believing in opportunity.

7. Excellent career orientated, employee-owned company.

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hensel Phelps is 100% employee owned, which allows them to make intelligent, informed decisions for the better of their employees and the long term well-being of the company without any outside influences. This is a company that you have a career with, not just a job. They invest heavily in their employees, from hours of in depth training to outstanding medical and retirement benefits. The company has a diverse portfolio which has allowed it to continue to thrive even during down times in the economy when many of their competitors have struggled. I have been with Hensel Phelps for 5 years, and have experienced a wide range of scopes, projects, and different types of work. I feel that I am appreciated by the company and have been compensated in a fair manner. Employees receive raises on a yearly basis based upon performance. Even though it is a large, nationwide company, I have never felt like just a number. Hensel Phelps values their employees as people and because they are employee owned, understands that in order to remain successful they must continue to grow their employees. I could not be happier with my career decision to join Hensel Phelps, and continue to recommend the company to anyone that is interested.

Cons

There are times when employees are forced to work longer hours, but that has more to do with the construction industry than the company culture, especially in recent years where a quality of life initiative has been required for all projects. Depending on the market, employees may be forced to move once projects are finished and the next one begins. Entry level position salaries from paycheck to paycheck are lower than many competitors, but when taking into consideration industry-leading medical coverage and employer funded retirement benefits, the overall compensation package is in line if not better than competitors for these positions.

8. Great Company! Hard work but worth it.

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Owned company, which means they treat their employees well. Because it is Employee Owned you are given immediate responsibility and can take charge of your own career path. You learn a lot because they make you work in the field and office side of construction prior to choosing your career path, whether it is superintendent or manager. Some of the best health care and retirement benefits. You get to work on all different types of projects.

Cons

Long hours, especially at the beginning. Trying to balance work and family. If you do not like to move and live in new locations this would be a con. You can try to stay in the same city your entire career, but you may have long commutes and it could hurt your career. Just understand that this is construction company, so you have to go where the job/project is located.

Advice to Management

Keep sending out the surveys each year and improve on those areas that are weak. Keep training your employees and promoting from within.

9. Great

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee ownership,Diverse projects and opportunities

Cons

Long days, lots of moves

Advice to Management

None

10. Lots of great projects.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learn all aspects of the project positions.

Cons

A lot of relocating, which is hard with a family.

11. Field Engineer-Intern

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

Great Learning opportunity. Constant training every single week which allows for great development.

Cons

Management is not the best at communication.

Advice to Management

Work on better communication with the employees.

Hensel Phelps Construction Photos