Hensel Phelps Construction

Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

Hensel Phelps Construction President & CEO Jeff Wenaas
Jeff Wenaas

Pros
  • Employee Owned, Mostly all employees are good people who are driven and want to do well (in 9 reviews)

• The company has GREAT benefits and takes care of its employees as far as health and retirement are concerned (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The 1st and 2nd years they weed out the weak with long hours (in 26 reviews)

• If you are trying to find a work/life balance here, this is not the place for you (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The Good, the bad, and the ugly

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, employee owned, a great sense of pride working for this company, extensive training, and overall a great company to work for. Is making changes to improve quality of life issues. The grass is likely not greener anywhere else!

Cons

Promotions for diverse employees are slow. It takes more time and effort as a diverse employee to get promoted versus someone who is not ethnic. This is a touchy subject, but look at the numbers and it tells the story...numbers don't lie.

Think about your diverse employees objectively and ask yourself is there a reason not to promote these employees. If they have performed satisfactorily, met their goals, have gone above and beyond, and have good reviews...promote them! It seems that non-diverse employees don't have to "jump through hoops" for promotion, they simply do their jobs and by default they get promoted. Pay attention to managers who may not be objective about it and get them the soft skills training they need to evaluate and promote everyone based on the same criteria.

Very happy with my internship!

Former Employee - Field/Office Engineer in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Field/Office Engineer in Miramar, FL

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They give you experience with many different aspects of the job. I learned so much this summer when I worked with them. Everyone is always willing to help you. Did fun things as a company where the families were also involved.

Cons

Long hours but most construction is like that.

I like that they talk to everyone in the company, even the interns.

My first project was a great experience, I look forward to establishing a career with this company.

Current Employee - Carpenter in Santa Rita, GU
    Current Employee - Carpenter in Santa Rita, GU

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great People...the fast and intense pace is exhilarating. I appreciate that I learn new things everyday. Upper management greatly supports growth and learning.

Cons

Just like with every company...too much micro-managing can make the job harder to fulfill.

I would like to see employees who are performing 200% be more recognized. Take the time to know your employees..."Our long-term purpose is to guarantee our company's competitive edge in the industry and aid employees in realizing individual goals for career growth in their chosen fields."-Jeffrey K. Wenaas, President and CEO.

It depends on what you want out of life...

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

Great Company
    Family Atmosphere
    Great Benefits

Cons

Long Hours- Don't expect to have much of a fruitfal social or personal life for the first 5-8 years.

Alot of moving around

Cliques

Average Construction Company

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training is good, Projects are usually cutting edge with new technology, good benefits - epically if you climb the company ladder.

Cons

longer list: Pay is below average and not negotiable, also don’t believe anyone that interviews you and tells you a pay range – it will most likely be $5k lower than the bottom of the range as it was in my case. Relocation is a must at some point with little to no notice; I mean not even a week of notice. Long hours, and I mean long – 4-6am depending on the job, till???? Most of my counter-parts work more than 12 hrs a day and sometimes more than 15 + weekends and holidays if needed. The higher-ups will lie to you to get you to do things (i.e. if they want you to move they will promise you a promotion and not make good on the promise, and I know people who have left the company for that reason). The biggest con is the typical carrot dangled in front of you (just get to the next role, then you will really make some $)….

raise the pay, get rid of the standard length of time in a role before promotion, offer all employees stock, (not just PE and up) - GIVE NOTICE before relocation, real notice.

Up and down company

Current Employee - Office Engineer
    Current Employee - Office Engineer

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be very rewarding, can receive great benefits, great learning experience, gives you an opportunity to see different states and places

Cons

Long hours and more then 5 days in a work week,for getting owner stock and add compensation poor project management on site, only get added compensation after you get to a certain point/time in career, since it is employee owned if you miss good years that makes stock owners money but you don't have units you don't see any of the reward

District management needs to put more time and effort and evaluate on site management better. Management needs to understand that personal that don't get added compensation do the majority of grout and unpleasant work. This is usually for lower employees but on site management doesn't ensure these employees have and maintain a high intrinsic value for working with this company as the pay is lower then most other companies.

Office Engineer

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Owned, Mostly all employees are good people who are driven and want to do well.

Cons

Standard construction work hours, not a 40 hour work week. Large projects, requires relocating.

Money VS. Life, Which is more important to you?

Current Employee - Field/Office Engineer
    Current Employee - Field/Office Engineer

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cons

If you are trying to find a work/life balance here, this is not the place for you. The hours are long and it leaves little time for any type of social life unless your married, however I hear at some location and districts the relationships with co-workers are a lot more outgoing and the work/life balance is a lot better then on my current job-site. I have not experience any relocation or expense issues but I hear that is a big problem. When it comes to site relocation, management, in some cases, do not consider your situation and typically give you a less than a week to move you and your family. It all depends on your PM and PS at the job-site which determines the demeanor of the site and workers.

Take serious the Quality of Life of your staff and you will have happier employees.

Decent

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Career growth potential Is good.

Cons

Work hours can be tough and relocation is always an issue

More money to younger employees

Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Area Superintendent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Area Superintendent in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and exciting projects

Cons

Relocations, Relocations, Relocations, Relocations and did I mention Relocations

Hensel Phelps Construction Photos