Hercules Technology Growth Capital

Manuel A. Henriquez

1. Good Software Dev Position

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hercules Technology Growth Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was never given any deadlines on any of my work. It was a great environment to learn the ASP.NET framework.

Cons

The technology was behind the times (Visual C#.NET) and the team was just two people. There was no formal testing.

Advice to Management

Focus more on team building and internal culture. Software management should move to an agile practice to quickly expand functionality of applications.

2. Also Shocked At Reviews

Former Employee - Managing Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hercules Technology Growth Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO is willing to try out new people and the firm is headquartered in Palo Alto. For individuals looking to move west, want to make a career shift or need a job, Hercules can fulfill this requirement.

Cons

The firm has a difficult reputation in the financial community, has large turnover at all levels except the CEO, and the CEO has a very challenging personality. Parag Shah left the firm, which is a huge blow. The CFO also left, but that is not unusual. Hercules can be a good port in a storm, but otherwise should be avoided at almost all costs.

Advice to Management

The CEO should move to a Chairman position and cultivate a true executive team to run this business. The CEO has some real talent, but should generally avoid day to day interaction.

3. These reviews are hilarious and FAKE from CEO! WORST PLACE EVER.

I worked at Hercules Technology Growth Capital full-time

Pros

Free lunch on Friday if I recall?

Cons

Endless -- This place is a chop shop run by a sycophant. Every VC knows to avoid this group with any of their portfolio. Reputation is terrible in the investment community.

Huge founder turnover, executive turn over and this place is PLAGUED with legal action.

The CEO is a total nightmare. Unfortunately there are a handful of decent folks there at the MD level that probably don't really have the viability to leave -- unreal turnover however.

They also famously screw people on their bonuses. This place is a total JOKE.

Advice to Management

Fire CEO.

5. Sr. Accountant

I worked at Hercules Technology Growth Capital full-time

Pros

Relaxed culture as long as you're getting your work done. Freedom to speak your mind and instill change. Small sized company but a great group of people to work with. Great happy hours.

Cons

Maintaining the investment software was extremely tedious and manual. Outdated structure unfit to service the growing volume of our operational activities. Our small team was stretched pretty thin.

Advice to Management

Stay awesome but do your due diligence and carefully vet a new software before diving in.

6. 1

I worked at Hercules Technology Growth Capital

Pros

Fun and interesting work environment

Cons

high employee turnover, low prestige

Potential Growth

I have been working at Hercules Technology Growth Capital

Pros

They support and encourage growth within the company. You may have one title, but if you show interest and ask for more responsibility they run with you and give you the opportunity to show the team what you can do (while still fulfilling my daily agendas) . I have only worked at Hercules for a short time and I already am being given new responsibilities and tasks not defined in my title. If you are proactive in improving yourself and making this place a great work environment, they will be there with you 100%.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything I would like to be different.

New Analyst hire at HTGC

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Hercules Technology Growth Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started my career at a regional investment bank (think Ray Jay, Baird, SunTrsut, Piper, etc.). Although investment banking provided some invaluable skills, the move to Hercules has been an overall positive experience for the following reasons:

A) The lifestyle / company culture is a complete 180 from banking. The people here are really personable and everyone has a sense of pride and responsibility in their work.

B) Unlike my banking gig, I have the opportunity to grow within the firm. If you read the bios on the company website, it is evident that many of the people at HTGC have been with the firm for many years.

C) HTGC is only ten years old, however, it has completed nearly 300 deals some of which include major names in the Technology industry.

D) I am exposed to some really interesting Technology companies on a daily basis and have exposure to C-Suite executives at those companies.

Cons

Hercules is spread across four offices. The training program involves travelling to the other locations. I personally have lived in many cities so I didn't mind travelling to the other locations. It's also a good way to meet the broader team.

9. HTGC

I have been working at Hercules Technology Growth Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Group of very talented and smart individuals. Able to learn a lot by asking questions and being curious about the industry. Really interesting industry in which to work. Great location and nearby to many of the companies in the portfolio.

Cons

Weren't many downsides, except that as a newer company they aren't always permanent processes in place. This can be a plus, however.

A growing firm with great people

I worked at Hercules Technology Growth Capital

Pros

The dynamic of Hercules is fast paced and intensive, but you have the opportunity to work with very intelligent, caring people who are always available to answer your questions and help point you in the right direction. Being proactive and taking initiative is very much welcomed and expected here.

Cons

At times it may feel like people are secluded in their office for most of the day, but it is really just they are busy trying to get things done according to deadlines; such is the case at any growing financial firm.

11. Hard-working atmosphere, but not as welcoming as it could be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hercules Technology Growth Capital

Pros

Intelligent colleagues, personable to a certain degree, interesting deals.

Cons

Not very welcoming, no sense of community,

RSS Feed </> Embed