Herff Jones Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Jeff Webb

Pros
  • Employee Stock ownership Program (in 4 reviews)

• Flexibility, highly recognized company in its industries, American products, employee owned (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Visionless upper management that had to hire a innovation firm (in 6 reviews)

• Many Outside Sales Reps have either quit or been let go (in 4 reviews)

Was a really good place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gettysburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gettysburg, PA

I have been working at Herff Jones (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee ownership made it possible for a lot of my colleagues and myself to be very well off later, family atmopshere even at the end

Cons

Closures after closures each year. Consolidation. Lost identity. Herff Jones is now the bad sheep of its own company. Everything revolves around a new CEO with new ideas that have nothing to do with the company we built.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Promote from within. Communicate better with employees and don't just let people find out later what is going on. Even though we don't own the company anymore, we still have a stake in it!

2. Operator

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Herff Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Highly entertaining backwards management. Great for improving self management.

Cons

Management severally lacking social skills related to their work. Poor ability to properly train. Run down equipment. Poor materials.

Advice to Management

Improve training. Cap wages to restructure incentive wages. Restructure hiring around trade schools. Educate management!

Do no know what will happen in 5-10 years

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good stepping stone for a new college graduate, after high school graduate or with no GED.

Cons

Company got bought out and the great benefit - Employee Stock Ownership Plan was taken away. 401k only now matches 12%. Too much micromanagement from corporate headquarters. No appreciation given to hard workers. Too many managers in the system that do not have enough responsibilities or poor management.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do a good job and support a good morale system. Free Pizza is not a good sign of appreciation.

5. Good people

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time

Pros

Nice, smart people, good processes in place

Cons

Can't keep up with the booming technology world

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time

Pros

Excellent company built on core values and ethical practices.

Cons

After the acquisition of Varsity Spirit, everybody started looking out for themselves. Dog eat dog world.

Advice to Management

Remember your most asset is your people.

The great team .Loved to be part of that team. Division has been closed and it took apart this family.

I worked at Herff Jones

Pros

Great team .Loved to be part of that team. Division has been closed and it took apart this family.

Cons

The worst experience in Herff ones was when they announce the closing of Education Division.Numerous of people were employed 15 and more years.

Management Suffle

I worked at Herff Jones

Pros

Was a great company to work for when Execs knew their business area.

Cons

Turned bad when they acquired companies and moved bad Execs to divisions and roles where they had no background or experience and promptly ruined the acquisitions.

A good company to work for, now Varsity Brands.

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Herff Jones

Pros

Provides great products, great service and the company is always looking for ways to improve. The school market is rewarding, especially knowing you are helping youth, parents and school districts.

Cons

The education market is fickle and can change rapidly. Large pragmatic organizations tend to be slow to adapt. Varsity Brands has worked to minimize those issues through cutting back on under performing segments of the company, diversifying and concentrating on selling products purchased more by parents than by school districts.

Advice to Management

Management has always been fair. Varsity (Herff Jones) does a good job of promoting from within, so continue along that path whenever possible. .

Direct Sales Rep

Current Employee - Direct Representative in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Direct Representative in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Independant work environment,first class accommodations at training events.They treat you very well during training. Training is top notch, it is fast paced and covers a lot of great information.

Cons

Company Completely changed its philosophy about a year after my hire. it went from employee owned to investment group owned. it is a 1099 postion so you are expected to work 65-70 hours a week, and you are not compensated for any expenses. So your "draw" is actually worth about 50% when you account for expenses. My area manager is te worst leader I have ever worked for. Upper managment is supportive but tends to play inner circle political games. If you have the skills to do this job (successfully) you should not consider working here.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about the compensation package. This postion rates 75-80k, not 55 or 50k. I had to work a second job to make ends meet (after working an avreage 10 hour day). The area manager postion needs a lot of attention.

This place is a Sinking Ship...

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Loved working at Herff Jones years ago. It was family friendly and the company had integrity. Now it's a cut-throat environment. Basically management will attempt to throw their employees under the bus when things don't go their way. Management will do whatever it takes to make themselves look good. Not the same company I started at.

Cons

Hiring freeze and poor management. Steer clear of this place if you can help it. There is no future here...just continual downsizing. No one wants to improve things or be more efficient. It's a bizarre environment to work in to say the least.

Advice to Management

I have attempted to give advice to management but they don't care. They are just waiting on their ESOP payout so they can take their money and run.

RSS Feed </> Embed