Herff Jones Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
Updated October 11, 2014
2.6

Jeff Webb

Pros
  • Employee Stock ownership Program (in 4 reviews)

• Flexibility, highly recognized company in its industries, American products, employee owned (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Visionless upper management that had to hire a innovation firm (in 6 reviews)

• Many Outside Sales Reps have either quit or been let go (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Herff Jones

Pros

Great team of people from newly hired in training to management. Worked for this company for 20 years and never regretted this commitment. Employees make quality product and always seemed proud of company achievements. ESOP was unbeatable and gave me, just a typical hard working individual, a wonderful retirement. There isn't enough money that could make me go back and change the wonderful experience I had with this company and fellow employees.

Cons

Wish that all of the products were made in the USA like they previously were.

Always loved the relationship between most managers and hourly employees (helpful, respectful) - hope that hasn't changed since my retirement.
    '

Was mostly good company to work for.

Former Employee - Pressman in Gettysburg, PA
    Former Employee - Pressman in Gettysburg, PA

I worked at Herff Jones full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits (was better years ago when I started there).

Cons

Fluctuating work schedule that could change by the day for the next.

Growth by acquisition has diminished the culture.

Current Employee - Various in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Various in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The ESOP is a really nice retirement vehicle - requiring no contribution from employees. Adequate other benefits provided by the company.

Cons

Paid time off policy is not generous. Benefits seem expensive compared to other employers. Work life balance is seasonal and can be overbearing. Company stopped issuing annual reviews for employees - feedback is slow to non-existent. I'm still waiting for my supervisor to explain my raise to me. I had to discover the amount from the payroll system. Surely this is an area that requires direct communication.

For an ESOP company you could do much more to communicate with employees. Do not pursue growth for the sake of growth. Why not chase growth as a means of improving profitability. Some large acquisitions have skewed the relative importance of the divisions of the company. Create some new products - do not rely on old standards or your competition will leave you behind. Attack international markets aggressively. A nepotism policy should be implemented.

A good company but is going through a tough aquisition, there are many changes being made with the corporate office.

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers ESOP, 401k match, and tuition reimbursement. Full time work hours.

Cons

Not a good medical insurance plan. It used to be a family atmosphere but is all about money and the bottom line. No real overtime.

Need for management to communicate all the changes that are happening to their employees.

Contraction well mapped, Progression ignored

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been able to grow my skill set steadily (although that is not the case with many other employees). Hours are good, management is flexible, generally a friendly environment, benefit and pay are good. They promote internally. Severance and plant closure seems to be as fair as a severance could be.

Cons

A contracting company that routinely closes plants and entire divisions steadily over the last 6 or so years. Sales management that squeezes seasoned sales reps out and fails to replace them with long term replacements, in a failed attempt to employ a more aggressive sales staff, jeopardizing existing long term customers with instability. Internal production systems and methods are a mess of old and new methodology with no competent roadmap to change. Poor internal communication of important production specification changes. Poor investment in training of employees. Visionless upper management that had to hire a innovation firm. Unresponsive, elitist marketing division.

The last decade of management has fostered a culture of stagnation and division. Regroup and encourage communication and cooperation between divisions, plants, departments, and employees. Not more stupid picnics, luncheons, and bad corporate gifts. Smack down the opulent sales meetings and invest in the education, training, communication, and value of each level of employee. Throw out your MIS.

Good starter job

Former Employee - N/A in Asheboro, NC
    Former Employee - N/A in Asheboro, NC

I worked at Herff Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Experience in the field is good.

Cons

They are in the process of a consolidation and are laying a ton of people off. They are also cutting full timers hours.

Listen to your employees more.

A deal made with the Devil...

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Started off wonderful but is now by far the worst company I have ever worked for. If you left Herff Jones 3 or more years ago you did yourself a favor (assuming you left voluntarily). It's not the same company you worked for and it's been very disheartening to see this change.

Cons

New CEO from Varsity has sunk his teeth into Herff Jones. The few people I have dealt with from Varsity are merely "yes men" and will do whatever it takes (and I mean whatever) to make CEO happy. Unfortunately now it is a cut-throat environment and we will all be lucky to be employed in the next year. Benefits are okay and ESOP is great...so long as it stays. Lots of downsizing going on. Herff had around 4,000 employees when I started. Now we are down to about 1,600 or so. I would NEVER recommend anyone to apply to this company. It pains me to say all of this but it's just the truth.

Have you forgotten the Golden Rule?? You should do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You will not get to take you money with you when you die. Also, quit promoting people with the last name Slaughter! Implement a nepotism policy!

Fiddling while Rome burns

Current Employee - IT Department
    Current Employee - IT Department

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some smart, committed, people work there.

Cons

Lack of support for training
    Poor pay
    An ESOP (stock plan) that is a set of handcuffs.
    A BoD that is not accountable to anyone. Shareholders have even less influence on the board than tradition stocks provide

Make employee ownership mean something. Give employees representation on the board. Make major decisions subject to approval by shareholders. Open the process to shareholder resolutions.

Strong potential if core HJ upper management is replaced

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great colleagues. Products I've been proud to be associated with. 401(k): strong match with genuinely diverse options. ESOP: glad for the deferred compensation. Good immediate supervisors. Rich pool of highly knowledgeable and innovative rank-and-file staff (hourly, lower management).

Cons

Paternalistic, obsessively need-to-know executive level is filled with Indiana white guys working their tours through the divisions, being moved to the next spot just as they begin to figure out the one they're in. Completely destroys the prospect of knowledgeable leadership in any division, which makes the company weaker than it needs to be. Mantra of growth by acquisition sucks energy from the core company, screaming the message that no executive has a clue about restoring profitability using the available talent and other assets on hand.

Leave ASAP. Make way for a completely new leadership team committed to and capable of making money by producing and selling goods and services rather than by borrowing money to buy what you do not understand in hopes that you'll come out of it rich and looking good. You're no good at it.

Scholastic Sales Rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Herff Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom. You are an independent contractor and and as a seasoned rep, you have autonomy. Set your prices for the products you purchase from Herff Jones and you can make as much as your local market will bear.

Cons

Change in marketplace is causing confusion in our industry. Management has been reluctant to make changes to customer new buying trends in the 21st century. Production schedules are ancient by today's standards. Customers want to order today and have their products tomorrow.

Listens to salesforce. They are at the forefront and see the changes occurring on a daily basis. Use technology as an asset.

Herff Jones Photos