Heritage Auctions

Heritage Auctions Co-Owner and CEO Steve Ivy
Steve Ivy

Forward-thinking and modern...mostly.

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment can be interesting and exciting if you work in a department that handles items interesting to you.

As an IT employee, the generous budget was nice. They didn't penny pinch on equipment.

Cons

Rampant nepotism holds this company back from retaining top talent. One must always be careful what they say around whom because you never know who is related and will use your words to create problems for you.

I've heard that their non-technical salaries are quite low if you are not in Sales/Consignments.

Work towards reducing the nepotism and replace certain key personnel with more qualified individuals whose priorities aren't "Family first, then company".

Nepotism prevents overall growth and employee satisfaction

I have been working at Heritage Auctions full-time

Pros

Interesting auctions and items. Occasional celebrity involvement. Great people on peer level.

Cons

Too often, family members are put in high ranking positions at the disadvantage of regular employees. Interpersonal relationships cause favoritism. People are often put in management positions without proper skills or experience.
    Poor vacation policy. Must work there 10 yrs before you get 3 weeks. (Unless you are sr. Mgmt)
    Company does not match 401(k)
    Long hours, some weekend work demanded.

Reconsider vacation policy. Pay should be based on experience. Treat your people as professionals, rather than expendable cogs. Match 401(k) as MOST companies do.
    Stop hiring based on nepotism, appearance.
    Offer growth opportunities. Most employees feel that leaving the company is the only way to advance their career. Offer incentives. Reward hard work on ALL levels.

Interesting place to work, but they will consume your life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A dream job if your passion is material pertaining to their categories.

Cons

LONG hours (including many weekends), low pay for most positions, high turnover rate for many positions.

Hostile work environment. Avoid at all costs.

Former Employee - Auction Client Services in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Auction Client Services in Dallas, TX

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good thing I can say about Heritage Auctions is that you get to see some pretty neat things that are being auctioned off. Granted, I can only speak from my experience in the department I worked in (Client Services). So, I will allow that people employed in other departments seem to be a bit more satisfied in their work but just about every employee in Client Services is extremely dissatisfied, disgruntled, and miserable with their jobs.

Cons

Where do I begin? Client Services is the lowest department in the company by far. Lowest pay, least amount of perks - employees are not allowed to take ANY breaks - NONE WHATSOEVER - you have to ask to use the bathroom! Only 30 minute lunches, if that. On extremely busy days - of which there are plenty - cancelled lunches are mandatory. If you're lucky, they MIGHT cater some cheap lunch but you don't really get a chance to take a bite with back-to-back phone calls. Let me stress that every other department in the company gets multiple breaks & at least an hour lunch every day.

Additionally, Client Service reps are expected to be knowledgeable & experts about every single department (of which there are many - Civil War relics, firearms, vintage movie posters, fine art, minerals & gems, guitars & other instruments, music memorabilia, high fashion handbags, sports memorabilia, comics, etc., etc., etc.) and are expected to clean up other department's and even upper management's messes. Most of these messes are caused solely by the fact that other departments and their management are not held accountable for their blunders and never have to deal directly with the dissatisfaction of their clients who have spent extremely obscene amounts of money on auction items (yes, sometimes multiple millions of dollars!). All other departments know that any mistakes or upset they cause will be routed through Client Services and the clean up will be the sole responsibility of Client Services reps. Also, Client Services is not given the proper training, knowledge, or information required to handle the intricate details of all of the various departments and their specialized products, so their hands are really tied as far as resolving most messes they are expected to fix.

Client Services management is extremely incompetent and hostile towards their employees. A very negative work environment. Client Service reps are very frustrated and unhappy, with plenty of reason for feeling that way. The training they provide new Client Services reps is shamefully inadequate, yet when a "trained" rep demonstrates the effects of this lack of training, management blames the employee and does not respond well to requests for additional or proper re-training.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid working in the Client Services department at all costs.

I think it's obvious from what I wrote above that the entire Client Services department needs serious revamping. I don't feel the need to provide detailed advice because it will not be heeded anyway, so I'll just save myself the typing.

Avoid this company if you want to be rewarded for your sales!

Former Employee - Consignment Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consignment Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting collections from consignor a.

Cons

Nepotism reeks. Poor pay. No incentives. Horrible management team that will ask for everything and offer no assistance.

Offer incentives and stop hiring family

Great growing company with a small company atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Heritage Auctions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Because of the many divisions of Heritage, there is an opportunity for growth & movement.
    Some work schedules make it easier for employees to attend school.
    Heritage promotes healthy living by offering incentives to join the gym & participate in Yoga, Zumba, or a Personal Trainer.
    Because of this, health insurance premiums for employees are low as well as Dental & Vision insurance.

Cons

Because Heritage is an Auction house, there are many late nights & weekends, some even out of state. Its not necessarily bad, but for some this may not work with their family dynamics. This of course depends on your position with Heritage.
    Heritage does not contribute to employee 401k, which is really the only CON I can think of.

The owners are fair in what they expect from their employees, as well as friendly & easy to speak with. Its nice to work for a company that the CEO can pop their head into your office anytime or make a joke while passing in the hallway.

Working at Heritage catapulted me into a lifelong career

Former Employee - Professional Numismatist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Professional Numismatist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Heritage in different capacities of the rare coin deparment for three years. At the time, Heritage was a much smaller company. This provided me with a golden opportunity to work closely with management and gain invaluable insight into what makes the rare coin business tick.

I decided to leave Heritage strictly because I wanted to move back closer to family and see if I could make it work on my own. They made it easy to leave on great terms, and it's a decision we've all been happy about ever since. Now, more than 16 years later, we conduct millions in two-way business every year and I remain friends with many people at Heritage. Their upper management has remained unchanged and some of their best employess were there long before I even started in 1993. I even met my wife at Heritage!

Heritage began a period of massive growth starting around 2001. They embraced the internet in its early stages and invested in technology. That has paid off and has allowed them to broaden their scope dramatically. I visit their offices on a regular basis and it has been fun to witness their growth!

Cons

I can't think of a single con about my employment at Heritage.

Churn and burn (depends highly on the department)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Occasionally working with interesting items. Somewhat open to flex time.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Poor life/work balance. Nepotism. Productivity is the viewed as the amount of hours you put in alone. Extreme high volume is their business plan with complete disregard for you as a human resource. Low pay. No real benefits aside from health insurance.

Burn out isn't the only way to get productivity out of your employees.

The best place I ahve ever worked

Current Employee - Public Relations Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Public Relations Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Heritage Auctions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, amazing material, brilliant business model, knowledgeable and accessible executive staff, plenty of room to grow and much encouragement to be successful.

Cons

I really don't have anything bad to say.

Great place to work, fun environment, with huge growth potential.

I have been working at Heritage Auctions full-time

Pros

Heritage has been transitioning from a small company to an enterprise, which makes for an interesting work environment. Opportunities to create new processes and guide company development at every level make you feel like an entrepreneur. The company encourages feedback and suggestions from all employees and acts on much of what they hear.

Heritage auctions lots of cool and unique items, and its fun for your friends and family to see your company featured in the news.

Cons

Working for a private company means less information about business decisions that affect the employees, although management does try to mitigate this with regular company status updates. The work can be overwhelming and relentless when deadlines are looming.

Heritage Auctions Photos