Heritage Christian Services

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014
3.5

Marisa Geitner

Very caring and loving work environment.

I have been working at Heritage Christian Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This job has changed my life and made me strong.

Cons

Its not for everyone, but everyone should experience this type of work.

Really good coworkers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  North Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Heritage Christian Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great co-workers, great people to interact with and support.

Cons

Job advancement in WNY is extremely limited.

Listen to your employees, and stop ignoring them when what they say isn't what you want to hear.

Good experience but not worth the pay.

I have been working at Heritage Christian Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The residential homes have a great family environment. The individuals we support are awesome! We receive bonus checks every so often which is a great benefit.

Cons

You can get burnt out quick so know your limits when picking up extra hours or overtime. We are understaffed quite frequently. Not great pay or opportunities for advancement.

We need more people to staffed! Also appreciate the people who take one for the team!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experience varies greatly depending on house management

Former Employee - Shift Coordinator  in  Webster, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Coordinator in Webster, NY

I worked at Heritage Christian Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great place to work if you love people and serving others in need. Very fulfilling work. A lot of great people to work with.

Cons

Unaligned, disinterested, or uptight management can really put a damper on the work environment.

Make sure everyone on your location's leadership team is aligned. Get to know and enjoy your employees on a personal level. Encourage the good ones hold the mis/under-performing ones accountable to higher standards.

2+ years of positive work experience

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Heritage Christian Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule and positive work environment

Cons

Low pay and sometimes it is hard finding support to do our jobs appropriately

Not for the weak

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Heritage Christian Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will make a difference in someone's life daily, and that will help you wake up and go to work each day.

Cons

You will not be appreciated by management. You will be overworked. You will be underpaid. Your body will take a toll due to the intense physical labor you endure and this will last you a lifetime, so "making it through the day" is an understatement. This job takes a special person who can also endure mental abuse from management and guilt-ridden encouragement while management does not set a great example, which in turn will lead to tons of turnover.

Lead by example rather than lecture. You'll have less turnover with fantastic leaders rather than "bosses".

A good company to work for, and I was let go, but overall great.

Former Employee - Residential Counselor  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Rochester, NY

I worked at Heritage Christian Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

family oriented, staff became lifetime friends, the residents are awesome, wonderful benefits(better than any job I have had) also moved up quick,

Cons

Nothing to protect you from getting stuck on shifts, I worked a lot of OT. pay is medium, could be better for all we are responsible for but it wasn't bad

Don't let go of us good people.(I was let go because a girl who didn't like me complained about my work) I was there 3 years and feel is was a great asset

Opportunity of a lifetime

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional

I worked at Heritage Christian Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Heritage has a great sense of community. Everyone smiles! You get a great deal of support from everybody in the agency. Great benefits and a decent salary are offered. Many of the facilities are state of the art. They offer extensive training, structure, and organization. Overall, it is a well run organization. They have a bright future due to all of the hard work and dedication by all who work for and support the agency.

Cons

None that I can think of now. Maybe be a little more picky about the staff hired on. Some are more passionate than others. Some people were there to get a paycheck and to see what the company could do for them, instead of what they could do for the company and the people they served.

Keep up the good work!

Good benefits and some good people, but the hours and stress can be dangerous if you don't stand up for yourself.

Former Employee - Residential Counselor  in  East Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in East Rochester, NY

I worked at Heritage Christian Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, warmth of making a difference through service to humanity, respect in the community, career advancement, free meals, sometimes it is laid back.

Cons

Hours: Scheduled me for two 16 hour shifts with inadequate rest in between, and then after this, had to come back in 2 hours for a staff meeting.
    Stress: In the mornings, the residents at the house have to go to their day services, but are reluctant to want to go. It is a juggling act of dispensing medication, preparing breakfast, preparing lunch, dressing, hygiene and documentation. If you can't get them ready in time, people (house managers and drivers) are angry. In order to get things together, it feels borderline abuse (rushing them as they are waking up and changing diapers and putting on close even if they are saying no). The whole thing could be more relaxed (more staff, less emphasis on getting them to go to dayhab if they don't want to).
    Culture: Conservative and all about the suburbs. Air fresheners, fluorescent lights, TV and lack of imagination. No outings on Sunday except church. Taking the folks to church or having an alternative service feels a waste of for people who are developmentally handicapped to the point of not being able to wipe their own bottoms.

Hire more staff to have available in case people are no-shows, so people don't get stuck with double shifts. Have a better system for meetings so people who are over-scheduled don't have to give up sleep to come back in later in the day.
    Lessen cookie-cutter culture and have more imagination.

Review of my experience so far

Current Employee - Residential Counselor  in  Penfield, NY
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Penfield, NY

I have been working at Heritage Christian Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can have your pick of what to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Free food available in pantry.

Cons

It gets boring really fast. Everyday is the same. It feels more like babysitting than an actual job.

none

Worked for Heritage Christian Services? Contribute to the Community!