Heritage College & Institute

Richard Shepard

Changing Lives and Improving My Community

Current Employee - Director of Student Records in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Student Records in Denver, CO

I have been working at Heritage College & Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Heritage for over 15 years. The company began in the neighborhood and community that I grew up in. At that time the most of the community was comprised of minorities with a high school education level at best. It was the history and pattern of the community at that time to hopefully graduate high school or earn a GED, then join the work force at minimum wage and hope to provide for a family and build a future based off of that alone. Even most of the community elders were still working labor intensive jobs earning mediocre pay when most of them should have been nearing retirement. Not many finished high school, and even less were fortunate enough to afford a college education.
    Although in the early years Heritage remained small, the impact it had on the community was a huge one! Throughout the last 15 years I have watched so many people from my very neighborhood earn degrees and have actual careers rather than just jobs. Even when history and odds were working against them Heritage opened the door to possibilities that didn't exist for them in the past. While 15 years later both the neighborhood and the community have changed completely, so has the pattern of life and more important so has it's history.
    Working for Heritage has been one of the most amazing and fulfilling experiences of my life. I am so proud to be part of an organization that truly does change lives, mine included.

Cons

Being grouped by society as just another "career college". I believe that the experience, the people and the education our graduates walk away with put Heritage levels above the "career college" stereotype.

Continue to genuinely care about the success of every student, and continue to employ a staff and faculty with the same compassion. I believe this is what makes Heritage special and what sets us apart.

Oct 15, 2014National Director of Admissions

Hello, thank you for the incredible feedback. This is such an incredible story and describes exactly what this organization is all about. There have been thousands of Heritage graduates over the ... More

Company doesn't Care about employees

Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Heritage College & Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The good thing is the company does believe in promoting within so it is easy to move up if you really want to, and the students make the day brighter.

Cons

High turnover rate people come and go and management will tell you that everyone is replaceable. Staff will quit even if they don't have another job just because they just can't deal with it. The moral does vary from campus to campus because other reps at other campuses loved their jobs and we were miserable. There is no FMLA at certain campuses so if you get sick or want to have a child you will lose your job. Admissions is all about the sale it doesn't matter if the student can't read or write as long as they can sit in the chair and collect the aid. They feed employees a dream about helping students but it is all about getting students enrolled and through the 3rd week of class.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

I've worked for Heritage for 11 years and is a great company to work for! If you are willing to work hard, be a team player and share the same mission, then this is the place. If you are not, it says a whole lot about your employability and you will probably be on glassdoor writing negative reviews more times than not. Heritage provides educational opportunities to adults who are looking to change direction in their lives. It also offers numerous volunteer events for its employees to give back to each of its communities. We are looking for employees to support these efforts. Heritage treats its employees well and cares about the success of its students. Yes, we have numbers to hit, but what business doesn't? Typically that is how businesses continue to operate.

Cons

The Department of Education has many rules & regulations which can be difficult to keep up with their constant reinterpretation of them. It’s okay though, they exist to help us do our job better.

Oct 15, 2014National Director of Admissions

Hello, thank you for your feedback! At Heritage, the success of our students is our number one priority. However, this does not happen without motivated, happy, and caring employees. Thank you for ... More

Great opportunity for growth!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Heritage College & Institute (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for this company for over 5 years and have always felt nothing but support and the ability for professional growth. Being able to work in the private vocational school sector allows us to change lives that otherwise would have been passed up by larger universities.

Cons

As with any position your clients or customers can be challenging. I feel that teaching the students basic professionalism is key and can be a challenge with some of the more difficult students . However, knowing how go build rapport and gaining their trust helps in this process.

Nov 6, 2014National Director of Admissions

Thank you for your feedback. Having our employees see the support and opportunity for growth is very important to us. You are right, changing lives is ultimately a passion, and we are happy that ... More

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Heritage College & Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with Heritage College for nearly 10 years. The company does a great job of recognizing potential, not only in their students (which one would expect of an institution of Higher Education) but also in their employees. Supervisors regularly give constructive feedback and good work is recognized and rewarded. Management is "hands on" and will work along side you to get the job done. The focus is right where it should be: on the students we serve.

Cons

Benefits are expensive, but costs for insurance are high everywhere.

Don't lose the focus that you have on the students. It really is what sets Heritage apart from other schools who emphasize career training.

Oct 20, 2014National Director of Admissions

Thank you for your feedback. At Heritage, we do everything possible to make sure all students and staff are happy. Thank you for your 10 years of service, and thank you for making a difference in ... More

I have worked for Heritage few several years and it is a wonderful, family-like atmosphere.

I have been working at Heritage College & Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are extremely supportive, and we are all working to help our students succeed in the workplace. It is very rewarding to work for such a great company!

Cons

Sometime longer work days are needed, but it is worth every second when you help a student begin his/her career.

Nov 6, 2014National Director of Admissions

Thank you for your feedback. Your are right, sometimes we all work later than we have to so that we can help a student. It is worth it every time, though, when you see that person's life change ... More

Don't work there!

Current Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO

Pros

There are no pros to working at this place! Sure they promise you a lot, but they never do deliver!

Cons

They are not very ethical. They are more about bringing bodies in the doors then actually educating people. This makes it really hard to be a good educator in there system. They rather fire their knowledgeable educators and bring more admissions reps, them focusing on actually giving their students the best education. They also are not really that up to date on what the profession should really know out there in the fields, They will state that they are, but I can tell you that they are not.

Focus more on giving the students a good quality education and less about just getting bodies in the door. If there is a good education, the people will come.

Nov 6, 2014National Director of Admissions

Thank you for your feedback. As a current employee, you know that we are answerable to the state, federal government, and our third party accreditor. They vet the curriculum, and ensure that our ... More

I had a good experience teaching at Heritage. Although it was a newer program with few students

Former Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO

I worked at Heritage College & Institute part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I thought the people I worked with were great.

Cons

Needs further training and ability to take personal time if absolutely necessary without feeling bad about it.

Nov 6, 2014National Director of Admissions

Thanks for your comments. We hope that every employee that works at Heritage has a good experience.

I've worked for Heritage for 13 years.....gets better every day.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

I've gain great knowledge about the school industry and have been able to increase my skill set with the experiences Heritage has offered. If I have had a family emergency or something personal to take care of my boss has let me do so.

Cons

If you want to improve your knowledge bas, get a promotion and gain experience you need to put in the hours. Can been long hours.

Oct 1, 2014National Director of Admissions

Thank you for your feedback! Heritage tries to work with every employee so that they maintain a positive work-life balance.

I loved working there!

Former Employee - Medical Assisting Instructor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Medical Assisting Instructor in Denver, CO

I worked at Heritage College & Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff was friendly and helpful, family oriented in case of emergency, President of company -AWESOME!

Cons

Non communication between employees, negativity, don't receive raises to make it worthwhile to stay, big turn over

More communication between employees, raises to show appreciation for hard work, non taxing of bonuses!

Oct 1, 2014National Director of Admissions

Thank you for your feedback. We work very hard to keep our employees happy, and satisfied with their positions. Communication is something that we will work on every day, and it is never perfect ... More

Heritage College & Institute Photos