Hermès

Hermès CEO Patrick Thomas

Patrick Thomas

very positive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat customer attention, lovely culture and heritage

Consuniform, employee discount, company is still growing and changing

Learnt a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company culture and pay

ConsLess interaction between different departments

Advice to Senior ManagementMore integration across different departments

Great company to work for!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Naples, FL

ProsI get to work with a wonderful clientele and beautiful products. It's one of the few luxury retail companies that pay a salary as well a commission. I went to Paris for a week for the semi-annual buying trip.

ConsRetail hours: nights, weekends, holidays.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great team

New York, NY

ProsFamily atmosphere, amazing opportunities, great products, international team, learned a lot. The office is very well located (right across Central Park)

ConsMost NY interns are unpaid. Do not have much to say about this, as I stayed there less than a year.

My experience at Hermes was terrible for only one reason - the store director.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Naples, FL

ProsThe pay and the exquisite merchandise.

ConsCareer advancement is next to impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new store director for the Naples boutique.

fantastic product but you are at the mercy of your particular manager.

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

Prosthe quality is second to none. You can purchase items at a generous discount. the training is fairly good but inconsistent as well.

Consthere is not a clear way to further yourself in the company. the managers and corporate definitely separate themselves from the 'common folk" with their obvious class system.

Advice to Senior Managementno advise. They do not accept opinions from associates. I've heard that it is much better in France where they value the contributions of their people.

Great company with a focus on quality handcrafted luxury products.

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsStable company, pays well, good store hours/schedule. I worked as Seasonal Sales Help -- the hours were good during the entire Holiday season. I did not qualify to earn commission but noted how well many of the full-time employees were doing meeting their goals and earning commission and bonuses. They also had a storewide goal that if met, each employee received an Hermes watch. I noted several employees that were there long-term (10 plus years). This does not happen unless they are happy with all aspects of their job.

ConsCan be slow at times, but based on the prices of products it doesn't take many sales to meet your goals.

Employees are not allowed to walk a customer from department to department and receive commission or split commission on a sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementI saw several missed sales during the Holiday period because there were not enough lower price point items for those people wishing to buy multiple small gifts and/or hostess gifts. Making sure that EVERY department has a cache of items in the $500 or less and $100 or less range would be helpful.

Working at Hermes is one step above being unemployed

New York, NY

ProsHermes business is very strong and it is a highly valued retail brand. Many employees enjoy the internal corporate sale, product quality, potential trips to Paris, and history.

ConsHermes is a terribly run company. Penny wise, pound foolish and for years has under invested in many areas. Everyone is packed in little offices with three to six people in a room. One third of the employees sit in a converted basement which is full of insects and has no cell reception. Most employees are unhappy, under qualified, and looking to leave due to the boring work. HR is constantly dealing with employee issues from all departments . The culture is superficial, misguided with a blame someone back stabbing mentality. The internal corporate sale is overrated with items the store could not sell. The regular employee discount is only 30%. The benefits and ability to grow are few. Raises average 3% no matter how well the company does. Employee turnover is exceptionally high at 20-30% per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with respect rather than expendable help. Some training besides the orange box nonsense and fair market rates might stop the revolving door. Isn't anyone concerned about the incredible turn over and questioning the incessant we are family rhetoric?

Great Family Spirit at Hermès! A company that believes in their teams

Head of Communications and Marketing Department (Former Employee)
    Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

ProsOpportunity to work with an international team that shares professional and personal values with their employees

ConsLocally, the management needs to listen more to their employees and help them grow.

Good working conditions but terrible boss

Factory Internship (Current Employee)
    Rouen (France)

ProsI worked at an Hermès packaging factory, on an assembly line. The work was a bit dull, of course, but frequent shifts made it easier. The teams were almost exclusively composed of women.

ConsI had the misfortune to have a completely burnt-out manager which passed on her anger on me. She threatened to end my contract if I didn't "pull it back together", even though I was working perfectly normally. The other managers where nice and kindly reassured me on this point.

Worked for Hermès? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hermès reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hermès CEO Patrick Thomas. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Hermès employees.