Hermès

Hermès CEO Patrick Thomas
Patrick Thomas

very positive

I worked at Hermès

Pros

great customer attention, lovely culture and heritage

Cons

uniform, employee discount, company is still growing and changing

Learnt a lot

I worked at Hermès

Pros

Good company culture and pay

Cons

Less interaction between different departments

More integration across different departments

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Naples, FL

I have been working at Hermès full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I get to work with a wonderful clientele and beautiful products. It's one of the few luxury retail companies that pay a salary as well a commission. I went to Paris for a week for the semi-annual buying trip.

Cons

Retail hours: nights, weekends, holidays.

Great team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hermès as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Family atmosphere, amazing opportunities, great products, international team, learned a lot. The office is very well located (right across Central Park)

Cons

Most NY interns are unpaid. Do not have much to say about this, as I stayed there less than a year.

My experience at Hermes was terrible for only one reason - the store director.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naples, FL

I worked at Hermès

Pros

The pay and the exquisite merchandise.

Cons

Career advancement is next to impossible.

Get a new store director for the Naples boutique.

fantastic product but you are at the mercy of your particular manager.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Hermès

Pros

the quality is second to none. You can purchase items at a generous discount. the training is fairly good but inconsistent as well.

Cons

there is not a clear way to further yourself in the company. the managers and corporate definitely separate themselves from the 'common folk" with their obvious class system.

no advise. They do not accept opinions from associates. I've heard that it is much better in France where they value the contributions of their people.

Great company with a focus on quality handcrafted luxury products.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Hermès

Pros

Stable company, pays well, good store hours/schedule. I worked as Seasonal Sales Help -- the hours were good during the entire Holiday season. I did not qualify to earn commission but noted how well many of the full-time employees were doing meeting their goals and earning commission and bonuses. They also had a storewide goal that if met, each employee received an Hermes watch. I noted several employees that were there long-term (10 plus years). This does not happen unless they are happy with all aspects of their job.

Cons

Can be slow at times, but based on the prices of products it doesn't take many sales to meet your goals.

Employees are not allowed to walk a customer from department to department and receive commission or split commission on a sale.

I saw several missed sales during the Holiday period because there were not enough lower price point items for those people wishing to buy multiple small gifts and/or hostess gifts. Making sure that EVERY department has a cache of items in the $500 or less and $100 or less range would be helpful.

Working at Hermes is one step above being unemployed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hermès

Pros

Hermes business is very strong and it is a highly valued retail brand. Many employees enjoy the internal corporate sale, product quality, potential trips to Paris, and history.

Cons

Hermes is a terribly run company. Penny wise, pound foolish and for years has under invested in many areas. Everyone is packed in little offices with three to six people in a room. One third of the employees sit in a converted basement which is full of insects and has no cell reception. Most employees are unhappy, under qualified, and looking to leave due to the boring work. HR is constantly dealing with employee issues from all departments . The culture is superficial, misguided with a blame someone back stabbing mentality. The internal corporate sale is overrated with items the store could not sell. The regular employee discount is only 30%. The benefits and ability to grow are few. Raises average 3% no matter how well the company does. Employee turnover is exceptionally high at 20-30% per year.

Treat people with respect rather than expendable help. Some training besides the orange box nonsense and fair market rates might stop the revolving door. Isn't anyone concerned about the incredible turn over and questioning the incessant we are family rhetoric?

Great atmosphere, but limited career opportunities

I have been working at Hermès part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Most targets are achievable. Great team culture. Staff perks for boutique events.

Cons

Very hard to get a promotion. Work can be repetitive.

Amazing company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Hermès full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, good salary, company rewards, very good environment, continuous training given. It was one of the best jobs I had. Only left because of relocation.

Cons

Some targets were unrealistic to meet some months but generally they were doable.

Have directors in store to improve knowledge in buying collections

Hermès Photos

Hermes Paris (Photo thanks to Flickr user Christos Loufopoulos, Some Rights Reserved)
Vitrines Hermès - Paris, juin 2012 (Photo thanks to Flickr user Stéphanie Moisan, Some Rights Reserved)
Hermes (Photo thanks to Flickr user Matthieu PONS, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo