Herman Miller

www.hermanmiller.com

Herman Miller Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
Herman Miller – Zeeland – “Embody Office Chair”

Herman Miller President, CEO, and Director Brian C. Walker

Brian C. Walker

Pros
  • The work life balance is great (if you can handle it) and the products are amazing(in 14 reviews)

• they have good benefits, good salaries and great people(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Communications are on a once a month basis With Middle management , and once a quarter with someone in a Senior management position(in 3 reviews)

• If you aren't in Michigan (or close) you can easily be forgotten about(in 3 reviews)

Great place to work

Sales (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat place to work. Really good at work/life balance if there is such a thing. Truly care about their employees and want the best for them.

ConsManagement can sometimes take their employees for granted.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for a lot of companies and this is by far the best

Engineer (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThe culture is very focused on making Herman Miller a great place to work.
    Management really tries hard to create work life balance and allow flexibility in schedules.
    Management has an open door policy and listens to ideas from anyone in the company.
    The corporate culture is relaxed and fun.
    Free Coffee Bar, lemon water and ability to work outdoors is awesome.
    Headquarters near some of the best fresh water beaches in the world.
    Company is committed to sustainability and works hard to make the world a better place.
    Respect of employees is very high.

ConsWe are trying to attract and retain the best talent, but sometimes forget that the best talent doesnt always want to live in West Michigan.
    The pay is lower than other industries like tech.
    The organization is relatively flat and there is not much opportunity for advancement, however moving laterally is encouraged and usually leads to advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on creating creative centers for employees to work from places other than West Michigan. Think a center in SF, NY, MPLS etc that would allow employees to come to an office and share ideas.

Herman Miller is an amazing company with great people

Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent work / life balance, flexible schedule, great benefits, and you get to work with really smart people who care about the work they do.

ConsThe company is great at innovation, which leads to frequent change and some ambiguity. I don't actually see this as a negative because change always brings opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep nurturing your people. Employees are not an expense / liability. They should be moved to the other side of the balance sheet as they are assets that you should keep investing in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic innovative and future forward company!

ProsGreat people, great potential. Leader of our industry!

ConsLost their way with the A&D community, but are getting back on track

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more accessible to sales force!

Good company to work for but not very diverse unfortunately

ProsSalary, processes, people, culture, benefits

ConsRecruitment too slow, not diverse enough, not enough women in command

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more international candidates in order to gain a global view on current business practices

Fantastic company, great people!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Zeeland, MI

ProsI have nothing but good things to say about working with this company. They have a wonderful culture and for the most part the people live their core values in their day-to-day jobs. Individuals are respected and all opinions are heard. The people I work with are highly skilled and have the added benefit of being great human beings and are fun to work with.

ConsSome people complain that the collaborative culture of the company makes it hard to get things done and unnecessarily lengthens initiatives. I'm not sure that I agree with this based on my personal experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a concentration of financial people at the top of the company which makes me wonder about their focus on Sales and Products.

The old Herman Miller is back!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosvery exciting time to be with the company because Living Office has defined our holistic offering of ideas, tools, furnishings, and services for creating a more natural and desirable workplace... allowing us to fulfill our mission, "Inspiring designs to help people do great things".

Consworkloads often do not allow for enough creative time for most employees. hard to innovate when you're focused on the tactical elements of your job.

Advice to Senior Management1 great employee is equal to 3 average employees.

Amazing company to work for.

Controls Engineer Co-Op (Former Employee) Spring Lake, MI

ProsCompany culture. Flexibility. the company's focus on quality, I could go on and on.

ConsThe only downside that there was for me is that I was only able to work there as a co-op while I was being stretched thin by my pursuit of an engineering degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job.

Excellent Company to be a part of!

Recruiter (Current Employee) Zeeland, MI

ProsThe people at Herman Miller are amazing, I have never worked for a company that values their employees as much as Herman Miller does. The flexibility allows employees that work, life, balance that is important to all of us.

ConsFor me it's the location I have a 70 mile round trip commute, but with that being said, my job does allow for me to work from a home office.

Overall a good experience but watch out for the politics!

Director, Sales (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLegacy name, great corp HQ to take clients, good showroom and nice product

Consvery political, too many forms to fill out and not enough time to sell. Mangement are bean counters and not really concerned with design anymore. Too many layers of mgt and too many "rules".

Worked for Herman Miller? Contribute to the Community!